Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2012, 07:25 PM   #3031
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,249
So I've got kind of an interesting little problem. Noticed that my front brake was dragging a little bit. Figured I probably just needed to remove the caliper from the caliper mounting bracket and grease those pins. But I can't get the damn thing off! It seems to be seized on the upper pin. Tried unscrewing the lower pin, but can't unthread it all the way because the upper pin is seized. Cut the rubber boot off and have been soaking it in PB Blaster for the last two days. Hammers, C-clamps, screwdriver/prybars, no luck. Any ideas?
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:39 PM   #3032
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos View Post
So I've got kind of an interesting little problem. Noticed that my front brake was dragging a little bit. Figured I probably just needed to remove the caliper from the caliper mounting bracket and grease those pins. But I can't get the damn thing off! It seems to be seized on the upper pin. Tried unscrewing the lower pin, but can't unthread it all the way because the upper pin is seized. Cut the rubber boot off and have been soaking it in PB Blaster for the last two days. Hammers, C-clamps, screwdriver/prybars, no luck. Any ideas?
Check the adjustment at the brake lever. Back it out a turn or two and see if that solves it. After a day of riding around last year, mine gradually applied to the point of fully stopping me. I was wondering what was happening, then they cooled and it was good again. Did it again after a mile or so, and I backed the adjuster out, and I never had the problem again.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:50 PM   #3033
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rod View Post
Check the adjustment at the brake lever. Back it out a turn or two and see if that solves it. After a day of riding around last year, mine gradually applied to the point of fully stopping me. I was wondering what was happening, then they cooled and it was good again. Did it again after a mile or so, and I backed the adjuster out, and I never had the problem again.
Oh, I tried that before I removed the front wheel and brake pads (so they wouldn't get soaked with penetrating oil). There's nothing but the pins holding the (empty) caliper to the caliper mounting bracket, and I'm pretty sure the caliper is not seized on the lower pin.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:38 AM   #3034
antpatterson
XR650L_High_Runner

Oddometer: 367
I have a slight problem> My 08 XCRW 450 is having starting issues. At first the problem began by pressing the start butto and it'd make a slight noise like it was trying to crank, 2 days ago it made a buzzing like noise, then yesterday the battery was drained and made no noise. I've read somewhere that the 08's were prone to starting issues, so what would this be? It kicks with one kick, but I do like the magic button since it is there. After riding a bit the battery is charged some to start by the button. Any ideas? Replace the starting system with an 09?
XR80r
2008 XCRW450 (260 hrs)
antpatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:51 AM   #3035
trailjammer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by antpatterson View Post
I have a slight problem> My 08 XCRW 450 is having starting issues. At first the problem began by pressing the start butto and it'd make a slight noise like it was trying to crank, 2 days ago it made a buzzing like noise, then yesterday the battery was drained and made no noise. I've read somewhere that the 08's were prone to starting issues, so what would this be? It kicks with one kick, but I do like the magic button since it is there. After riding a bit the battery is charged some to start by the button. Any ideas? Replace the starting system with an 09?
Have you tried replacing the battery? Sounds like a bad battery. I'd try that first. I you have a Cycle Gear near your location, they have a $90 Mega Boost battery that's guaranteed for life. When dead, you take it in and exchange it to them for a new free one. I have an '08 530 EXC-R. I notice if the bike has been sitting for a week or more, it helps to try to kick-it like 5x then hit the magic button and it'll start way easier. The starting problem the '08's had, i believe the fix was putting in the '09 cam. I think.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:52 AM   #3036
trailjammer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
Quote:
Oh, I tried that before I removed the front wheel and brake pads (so they wouldn't get soaked with penetrating oil). There's nothing but the pins holding the (empty) caliper to the caliper mounting bracket, and I'm pretty sure the caliper is not seized on the lower pin.
Do you think a little heat would help?
Old 04-05-2012, 09:34 AM   #3037
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailjammer View Post
Do you think a little heat would help?
Yeah, and if it doesn't, a lot of heat might. Seriously think I might need to cut it off if it doesn't come loose. Hoping a little heat will persuade it though. Just wanted to check to make sure there weren't any other tricks I should try first.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:48 AM   #3038
ian408
Oh?

Oddometer: 13,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailjammer View Post
Have you tried replacing the battery? Sounds like a bad battery. I'd try that first. I you have a Cycle Gear near your location, they have a $90 Mega Boost battery that's guaranteed for life. When dead, you take it in and exchange it to them for a new free one. I have an '08 530 EXC-R. I notice if the bike has been sitting for a week or more, it helps to try to kick-it like 5x then hit the magic button and it'll start way easier. The starting problem the '08's had, i believe the fix was putting in the '09 cam. I think.
I was looking at one of those Shorai batteries yesterday. Light weight, charge lasts a long time and you can use your current charger. A bit spendy but if the charge lasts and it's light, maybe that's worth it? Might be about $120 (didn't ask).
ian408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:54 AM   #3039
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,324
Quote:
Yeah, and if it doesn't, a lot of heat might. Seriously think I might need to cut it off if it doesn't come loose. Hoping a little heat will persuade it though. Just wanted to check to make sure there weren't any other tricks I should try first.
I had the same problem yesterday, except that it was a rear caliper that was frozen in a Scotts shark fin that I bought used. It would not budge even after clamping it down in a vise and trying to lever it off with a 12" screw driver and hitting it with a big hammer...

My luck was that there was a removable plug on the other side so I finally got it out by using my hydraulic press. Just a ton of rust in there and the pin is done (and of course KTM doesn't sell it separately), and I am not even sure if I can salvage the bore...

If you do get it off, I have heard that Honda has some pins that will fit. Don't have a part number unfortunately.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:16 AM   #3040
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
I had the same problem yesterday, except that it was a rear caliper that was frozen in a Scotts shark fin that I bought used. It would not budge even after clamping it down in a vise and trying to lever it off with a 12" screw driver and hitting it with a big hammer...

My luck was that there was a removable plug on the other side so I finally got it out by using my hydraulic press. Just a ton of rust in there and the pin is done (and of course KTM doesn't sell it separately), and I am not even sure if I can salvage the bore...

If you do get it off, I have heard that Honda has some pins that will fit. Don't have a part number unfortunately.
Yeah, the weird thing is that there's zero rust on this bike and I greased those pins within the last six months. Almost seems like it might be hydraulically-seized, you know?
Old 04-05-2012, 02:33 PM   #3041
ian408
Oh?

Oddometer: 13,437
Quote:
Yeah, the weird thing is that there's zero rust on this bike and I greased those pins within the last six months. Almost seems like it might be hydraulically-seized, you know?
slide hammer?
ian408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:35 PM   #3042
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Yeah, maybe. I've got one, but kinda forgot about it. Thanks, I'll give that a try.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:04 PM   #3043
WVa Dualsport
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 361
Can someone refresh my memory. What are the stock fork and shock rates for the '08 + 450/530's. I'm getting conflicting info.

Thanks,

Shawn
Old 04-06-2012, 07:19 AM   #3044
fuggy
Canyon Explorer

Oddometer: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian408 View Post
I was looking at one of those Shorai batteries yesterday. Light weight, charge lasts a long time and you can use your current charger. A bit spendy but if the charge lasts and it's light, maybe that's worth it? Might be about $120 (didn't ask).

I just installed a Shorai last week on my 08 xcr-w. They claimed the battery was over 3lbs lighter than stock and would make the bike start stronger. So far I've been impressed. I purchased straight from Shorai's website and the battery came with extra foam shims for secure mounting.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:40 AM   #3045
bigborefan
Making new friends

Oddometer: 1,188
Does anyone know the inside diameter of the fuel line? The piece that runs from the tank to the carb.

You meet the nicest people on a Honda
bigborefan is online now   Reply With Quote