Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2012, 10:14 PM   #3061
mtrcycllvr
Nerdly pseudo adventurer.

Oddometer: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian408 View Post
I have the '09 with the same tank and fan. So far, no rubbing.

However, if I was going to heat it up, I would use a heat gun and hold it 8 or 10 inches away and slowly warm the area up then when it's hot enough, dimple it.

Now you got me worried--I should check mine for rubbing
Huh.. Well, mine clearly interferes - wonder if the tank guys modified their mold to make room?

Still looking for what sort of plastic it really is and what sort of working temp I'm looking for - I'm not quite prepared to just heat it up and push till I mistaken shove my thumb through it..

-ET-
2002 KTM-LC4 640 (Eats gravel roads for breakfast..)
2008 KTM-530 EXC-R (The 'sexy beast')
mtrcycllvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:23 PM   #3062
ian408
Oh?

Oddometer: 13,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrcycllvr View Post
Huh.. Well, mine clearly interferes - wonder if the tank guys modified their mold to make room?

Still looking for what sort of plastic it really is and what sort of working temp I'm looking for - I'm not quite prepared to just heat it up and push till I mistaken shove my thumb through it..

-ET-
No idea what they did but if you've just gotten yours, it's newer than mine.

If it would help you, I can look at it tomorrow.

As for exactly what it's made of, a phone call to Just Gas Tanks should get you the answer you need for both composition and how to deform it.
ian408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:28 AM   #3063
antpatterson
XR650L_High_Runner

Oddometer: 379
I'm checking the spark plug today after college and have found that the leak IS water. So since majority of people say check the spark plug I am, if it still leaks then it's could ONLY be the seal cover? I'm looking at all possible options as I'm already about to order alot of stuff so want to order whatever the problem I'm currently having as well. Such as, the valve seal cover (what part # is that? I've not been able to find it on ktmcyclehut but I cant find it in the KTM manual I suppose?) and a few (3 people) have told me it could be the gasket (true or not? If so which gasket could it be?) Sorry for the questions but me and my dad are both completetly new to both KTM and a race machine rather than our simple XR650 and XP200 or XR80. My CRF250r never gave problems so now seeing this water from the hole is bothering me severly as I am waiting on my DS kit for my KTM to get it on the road and really want to avoid down time.

(And no I'm not riding it on the road like a DS, just simply to get down my street to the trails/fire roads)
XR80r
2008 XCRW450
antpatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:27 PM   #3064
ian408
Oh?

Oddometer: 13,832
Quote:

-ET-
Hey someone just reminded me. Your radiator could be bent. Have you checked that?
ian408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:51 PM   #3065
haknslash
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by antpatterson View Post
I'm checking the spark plug today after college and have found that the leak IS water. So since majority of people say check the spark plug I am, if it still leaks then it's could ONLY be the seal cover? I'm looking at all possible options as I'm already about to order alot of stuff so want to order whatever the problem I'm currently having as well. Such as, the valve seal cover (what part # is that? I've not been able to find it on ktmcyclehut but I cant find it in the KTM manual I suppose?) and a few (3 people) have told me it could be the gasket (true or not? If so which gasket could it be?) Sorry for the questions but me and my dad are both completetly new to both KTM and a race machine rather than our simple XR650 and XP200 or XR80. My CRF250r never gave problems so now seeing this water from the hole is bothering me severly as I am waiting on my DS kit for my KTM to get it on the road and really want to avoid down time.

(And no I'm not riding it on the road like a DS, just simply to get down my street to the trails/fire roads)
It is a weep hole, designed to alow debris/water to weep away from the spark plug. This is not a "KTM thing". Many bikes have weeps holes on the cylinder head for the spark plug. Water more than likely entered from washing the bike, riding in creek beds or something. Looks like it could either be oil or just nasty murky water (maybe you have mud 'n crud in there from previous owner). What does it smell like or does it have an oily substance to it when you rub your fingers together?
Old 04-10-2012, 01:58 PM   #3066
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,330
Quote:
Everyone I talk to says, just heat the tank up till you can reform it a bit.. Okay - who REALLY knows how to do that? What material is the tank, technically and whats the pliable working temperature range I should be aiming for?

Is it likely I can get 10-12 square inches up to a working temperature that would let me permanently "dent" the material with a 1000 watt heat gun?

I have an IR temp meter with the little laser pointer, which is pretty cool if you ask me... Anyway, I'm confident I can accurately measure the surface temp at least.. But I have no idea what sort of working temperatures I should be aiming for and I'm not so confident a 1000 watt heat gun can get that much surface area into whatever the best working temperature might be.

So, anyone more experienced than me have any thoughts or advice?
Super easy. Have done it a few times and it's stupid-simple. Most important thing is to figure out beforehand what you're trying to accomplish (sounds like you've already got a pretty good idea about where you need clearance, how much, etc.) and what you want to use to form the tank (I've used a cheap-o boddy hammer set from harbor freight in the past). All you have to do is heat the area around where you want to reshape it, and then apply steady pressure with whatever forming tools you want to use. Don't heat it in the middle, as that area will get too soft and become overly pliable, while the material around it won't move at all. Would only be useful if you were trying to create a belly button-type indentation. The polyethylene that these tanks are made of tolerates heat pretty well, and it's not difficult to work with. Heat it slowly and you won't need a temp guage to know when it's pliable enough to reshape.
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:55 PM   #3067
antpatterson
XR650L_High_Runner

Oddometer: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by haknslash View Post
It is a weep hole, designed to alow debris/water to weep away from the spark plug. This is not a "KTM thing". Many bikes have weeps holes on the cylinder head for the spark plug. Water more than likely entered from washing the bike, riding in creek beds or something. Looks like it could either be oil or just nasty murky water (maybe you have mud 'n crud in there from previous owner). What does it smell like or does it have an oily substance to it when you rub your fingers together?

Thank you, my other bikes do not have this so I was unaware and never noticed it on my 250. It was dirty from the previous owner because there was some red clay build up on the upper portion so I guess it allowed water down the side. Problem solved though, just got to clean the hole out safely so I don't get that dirt down the bottom.
XR80r
2008 XCRW450
antpatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:05 PM   #3068
mtrcycllvr
Nerdly pseudo adventurer.

Oddometer: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian408 View Post
Hey someone just reminded me. Your radiator could be bent. Have you checked that?
Well, yes and no - I have bent the radiator and replaced it - or was it the other side?

Nah, it's straight, just doesn't fit in the space allowed, but good idea!
2002 KTM-LC4 640 (Eats gravel roads for breakfast..)
2008 KTM-530 EXC-R (The 'sexy beast')
mtrcycllvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:00 PM   #3069
Hypermofo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Hi Everyone - just added a new to me '11 530 to the garage! I've been reading through this thread and very much appreciate all those that have contributed their knowledge!! It has been very helpful as I get to know my new bike.

What are you guys running tire wise for DS use? I'll be riding some single track, double track, forest service roads, with some tarmac thrown in. I'm in GA so trails will be dirt/mud with some rocks. I'm willing to trade some off road performance for some on road performance and durability but I do want an off road oriented tire. From the searching I've done Dunlop D606 keeps coming up. Is that the consensus?

Can anyone recommend a good spring rate calculator that works well with our bikes? Just use racetech?

Thanks!

HM
Old 04-12-2012, 12:02 AM   #3070
Bora20
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypermofo View Post
Hi Everyone - just added a new to me '11 530 to the garage! I've been reading through this thread and very much appreciate all those that have contributed their knowledge!! It has been very helpful as I get to know my new bike.

What are you guys running tire wise for DS use? I'll be riding some single track, double track, forest service roads, with some tarmac thrown in. I'm in GA so trails will be dirt/mud with some rocks. I'm willing to trade some off road performance for some on road performance and durability but I do want an off road oriented tire. From the searching I've done Dunlop D606 keeps coming up. Is that the consensus?

Can anyone recommend a good spring rate calculator that works well with our bikes? Just use racetech?

Thanks!

HM
I like the Pirelli MXCH. The rear held up really good over the last 1500km and and the I didn't change the front when I switched to a Pirelli MT43. I don't think I will switch back to a knobby on the rear after running the MT43 so far. The thing just plain hooks up! The front doesn't rip the side knobs off either, but they aren't quite as aggressive so you can't get it really low in the turns. Overall either rear will work great.

D606 rear is good, but the front is all over the place. They are more of a 50/50 tire and not aggressive enough for the riding I do. If you stuck to forestry roads they are ok, but the 530 is more machine than the D606 allows.
Bora20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:05 AM   #3071
Hypermofo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bora20 View Post
I like the Pirelli MXCH. The rear held up really good over the last 1500km and and the I didn't change the front when I switched to a Pirelli MT43. I don't think I will switch back to a knobby on the rear after running the MT43 so far. The thing just plain hooks up! The front doesn't rip the side knobs off either, but they aren't quite as aggressive so you can't get it really low in the turns. Overall either rear will work great.

D606 rear is good, but the front is all over the place. They are more of a 50/50 tire and not aggressive enough for the riding I do. If you stuck to forestry roads they are ok, but the 530 is more machine than the D606 allows.
Yep, that's exactly my cocern with the 606. Maybe i should go with a mixed set...
Old 04-12-2012, 08:13 AM   #3072
Krazyjohnny
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 424
Weep hole

Patterson,

Your CRF250r should have a weep hole. I know mine did and so did my buddies YZ450 and YZ250 and another buddies and my CRF250x's. The aircooled bikes may or may not have them.
08' 530 EXCR, 09' Yamaha FZ-6 and dreaming of a new bike
Krazyjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:01 PM   #3073
silverboy
Bunny

Oddometer: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypermofo View Post
Hi Everyone - just added a new to me '11 530 to the garage!

HM
Pirelli scorpion FIM for the front. It is DOT legal and as good as any non dot for the front.

Steve Mcqueen
silverboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:08 PM   #3074
jp4evr
I'm a dad, have a ceegar

Oddometer: 345
What to look for....

So I'm about to plunk down my kids college fund on a 530 EXC here in CA. Problem is, there aren't a lot to go around so I have to strike while the iron is hot, if you will.
What should I look for? Any problem areas or evidence of "flogging" more than what one will do on a 530?
My dirt bike experience is limited to tossing my Tiger down fire roads and other places is has not purpose being.
I don't want to end up with a "lemon" if I can avoid it. I have read most of this thread on the benefits of the various years - thanks Ned for sharing - what I love about this community.
I have a line on an '08 with about 3000 miles or an '09 with the same, but the price is about $1400 difference and more of what I want on the '08.

Thanks everyone and I hope the actual experience is worth the build-up to buying this thing.

e
jp4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:08 AM   #3075
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp4evr View Post
So I'm about to plunk down my kids college fund on a 530 EXC here in CA. Problem is, there aren't a lot to go around so I have to strike while the iron is hot, if you will.
What should I look for? Any problem areas or evidence of "flogging" more than what one will do on a 530?
My dirt bike experience is limited to tossing my Tiger down fire roads and other places is has not purpose being.
I don't want to end up with a "lemon" if I can avoid it. I have read most of this thread on the benefits of the various years - thanks Ned for sharing - what I love about this community.
I have a line on an '08 with about 3000 miles or an '09 with the same, but the price is about $1400 difference and more of what I want on the '08.

Thanks everyone and I hope the actual experience is worth the build-up to buying this thing.

e
What kind of prices? I've been watchin this market pretty closely and am in the same area.
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote