Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2012, 12:55 PM   #3106
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob599 View Post
This mad me realize if I am not riding Motorcross any longer I am really riding TT, Flat track and supermoto. Why am I putting up with this issue caused by a motorcoss height suspension.
That's a great comment. I wish there were more "trailbikes" sold- it seems like most of whats available is boat-anchor heavy, or dumbed down MX stuff.

I'm excited about bikes like the 350 Freeride as they seem a more realistic option for some of my favorite kinds of trails, where a big bike is really more in the way than helpful much of the time.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:14 PM   #3107
silverboy
Bunny

Oddometer: 544
I have had several bikes lowered 1.5"-2". One by Slavens, the other by Stillwell. My inseam is sub 30" and I can not even come close to touching the ground. Lowering was my only option if I did not want to have to stop like a peeing two legged dog leaning on a tree...

But, there have been some draw backs. The most obvious is clearance. Lowering the bike does make your feet closer to the ground increasing the odds of crushing your toes.

I get caught up on stuff other riders just pass over. Do not even bother with anything but an aluminum skid plate. The plastic and composite ones just break.

The second problem is bottoming out. Less spring = less travel. My front tire does rub my fender enough to leave a nice permanent black mark.

On the good side I think the bike handles better being low. It needs less of an angle in turns to steer and feel more stable at speeds.

Next im going to try lowering the sub frame by machining a new hole in the bottom mount and cutting my seat down. I think ill get an easy 1.5" that way with the only consequence being some rubbing of my rear tire on the occasional g-out.

Steve Mcqueen
silverboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:31 PM   #3108
Bob599
Bob599

Oddometer: 284
Freeride

I am really interested in that bike too. At first I found myself thinking should I have saved some money and bought a DRZ but I know I wouldnt be happy with the weight, power and suspension. For $400 bucks and very little to put back to stock I think it should be looked at by more riders, I know so far this is the best mod I have ever done! Its funny how I am looking at the 530 in a whole different light now that its lower. I try and ride over logs and rocks like a trials bike that I would have gotten off and walked next to the bike before. In slow technical riding I use the skid plate just like I do on the trials bike!

Silverboy I feel your pain. Well not nearly as bad. I needed to be concious of where my feet are now. Before they dangled so high it didn't matter. I rode quite a few 2 foot deep ruts left by ATV's and needed to really watch my feet. But in reality I don't ride as fast as David Knight so the benefits really out weigh the negatives. There seems no reason to keep the bike that high for the type of riding I am doing. But time will tell.

Bob599 screwed with this post 04-16-2012 at 02:40 PM Reason: me knot talk gode
Bob599 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:12 PM   #3109
guns_equal_freedom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by antpatterson View Post
Anyone have experience with the flatlands skid plate for the the 450? I just spent $1200 on parts and accessories for my XR650L and XCRW450 and the skid plate from flatlands was far cheaper than Moose Racing or KTM.
I have one on my 530.
Works great, looks good.

guns_equal_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:49 PM   #3110
Krazyjohnny
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 424
Here's a little secret on the Flatland racing skid. "Pssst...pssst! over here... I heard from a relaible source they make them for Enduro Engineering."
08' 530 EXCR, 09' Yamaha FZ-6 and dreaming of a new bike
Krazyjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:37 PM   #3111
KTM Explorer
Dirt Whore

Oddometer: 194
Carb tubing????

4 or 5 carb related open ended rubber tubes hang in back of the engine, neatly draped. That ok?
KTM Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:46 PM   #3112
Gehrcke
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazyjohnny View Post
Here's a little secret on the Flatland racing skid. "Pssst...pssst! over here... I heard from a relaible source they make them for Enduro Engineering."
Looks very similar to the Enduro Engineering skid plate I have on my 530, but not exact. - Sorry for the grainy cell phone picture.

EE seems makes their aluminum products in house. At least I saw them making radiator guards, hand guards, and other misc aluminum products when I had the opportunity last fall to tour their shop when they went through my suspension. Not to say they don't source out other things, like a skid plate, elsewhere.
Gehrcke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:27 PM   #3113
Krazyjohnny
Gnarly Adventurer

Flatland makes good stuff. I have used them on my previous bikes.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:33 PM   #3114
silverboy
Bunny

Oddometer: 544
Carb mods

Has anyone had any experience with Carburetor modifications? Im looking into the rebuild by Zip ty or a similar one by White Brothers.
http://www.ziptyracing.com/carburator-mod/

Id like to get rid of the bog at low speeds and make my throttle response more crisp.

New float bowls, accelerator pumps, slides... Im confused, too many options!

Steve Mcqueen
silverboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:37 PM   #3115
antpatterson
XR650L_High_Runner

Oddometer: 386
Anyone got a pic of the headlight connector(s) connected and no connected so I can see how this is supposed to look? I fear someone might have took the connector off my bike but instead I'll post a pic of what IS there. Also, anyone got a clue as to why my tail light will not come on when the bike is running.

Note: I have 08 XCRW with Sicassracing real fender and the connector is hooked up and fits but no light comes on. Possibly dirt connector? Bad wires?
XR80r
2008 XCRW450
antpatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:48 PM   #3116
fuggy
Canyon Explorer

Oddometer: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM Explorer View Post
4 or 5 carb related open ended rubber tubes hang in back of the engine, neatly draped. That ok?
Sounds like the bike might have the FlexJet made by R&D.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:39 AM   #3117
Krazyjohnny
Gnarly Adventurer

Hose kit???

Looking to replace the radiator hoses and get rid of the thermostat. Any refferals to a good kit? Samco seems to be the biz, but at $124 plus clamps it gets expensive quick.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:52 AM   #3118
trav72
I can't ride where?

Oddometer: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by antpatterson View Post
Also, anyone got a clue as to why my tail light will not come on when the bike is running.
Mine won't either. So when you find out please let me know. Although my brake light still works.
trav72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:08 AM   #3119
antpatterson
XR650L_High_Runner

Oddometer: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by trav72 View Post
Mine won't either. So when you find out please let me know. Although my brake light still works.

My bike doesn't even have a brake light switch for the light, I just want the light on especially since I spent $200 for the kit. The officer giving me my inspection sticker does not care if I have brake light or not as long as the light comes on. And I'm not riding it into bigger cities anyhow so I do not care to get a brake light switch.
XR80r
2008 XCRW450
antpatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:29 AM   #3120
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by guns_equal_freedom View Post
I have one on my 530.
Works great, looks good.
FWIW, I broke my clutch cover with a roosted rock from the front wheel while using the Flatland plate. I then tried a G-it, which is good, but ultimately switched to the stock plastic plate, and that has proven the best for my purposes- full coverage, easy on and off for oil changes, quiet, and doesn't hang up on stuff like Aluminum can.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote