Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2012, 02:13 PM   #3211
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,334
Cool deal. I've seen a lot of these bikes run-up similar hours without anything more than oil changes and valve-checks. Wonder why these got such a bad reputation as far as reliability is concerned. Maybe just the initial problems with the 08's? Can't imagine why anyone would want to swap an RFS into one of these chassis though, with reliability like we all seem to be experiencing.
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:53 PM   #3212
header
Chris

Oddometer: 1,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos View Post
Cool deal. I've seen a lot of these bikes run-up similar hours without anything more than oil changes and valve-checks. Wonder why these got such a bad reputation as far as reliability is concerned. Maybe just the initial problems with the 08's? Can't imagine why anyone would want to swap an RFS into one of these chassis though, with reliability like we all seem to be experiencing.
I chalk it up to people being naturally hesitant toward something they don't know about then grabbing at everything they hear and letting that influence them over first hand experience and knowledge. I think its a natural process for people to be afraid of what we don't know.

Its also something to keep in mind when thinking about the new 500 (or any other bike that is new and unproven), don't cut it down yet. Keep an open mind toward it until its proven to be a significant drawback.

My 2 cents for the day

KTM 530exc
525exc refresh
header is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:35 PM   #3213
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,784
Quote:
Maybe just the initial problems with the 08's?
I studied this alot before Dakar, as you can imagine.

Every catastrophic failure I could find was a result of low oil.

The problem is that an engine can change oil level very quickly, when the rings hit a critical gap, or the valve guide seals lift. The latter failure can take an engine that has never burned a drop, and run it just about out of oil in a tank of gas.

I've come to the conclusion that if you overfill relative to the window, and check it religiously every single time you add fuel, you don't have much to worry about.

I haven't found any credible stories of engine oil going to the tranny on 09-newer bikes, which isn't to say it couldn't happen, but I did a lot of research.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:47 PM   #3214
bigborefan
Making new friends

Oddometer: 1,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by header View Post
I chalk it up to people being naturally hesitant toward something they don't know about then grabbing at everything they hear and letting that influence them over first hand experience and knowledge. I think its a natural process for people to be afraid of what we don't know.

Its also something to keep in mind when thinking about the new 500 (or any other bike that is new and unproven), don't cut it down yet. Keep an open mind toward it until its proven to be a significant drawback.

My 2 cents for the day
Yep, If I believed the internets, my 2008 690 would never leave the garage. So far it has been great. Never stranded me, never failed to start.

Women, er, women sense my power, and they seek the life essence. I do not avoid women, Mandrake...but I do deny them my essence
bigborefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:27 PM   #3215
grinns
Semper Fi

Oddometer: 1,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazyjohnny View Post
After watching the video with David Knight talking about the shortcomings of the 500, I am glad I am on the 08' 530 EXC. The issues I have read about here and other places would drive me nutty.

All good stuff nonetheless.
I haven't ridden a perfect FI bike yet. My dads Sherco 450 is pretty close and my rc51 isn't bad. I have a 530 exc 2010. It's ok, but its going to kill me.

grinns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:34 PM   #3216
offrdr1975

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
I studied this alot before Dakar, as you can imagine.

I haven't found any credible stories of engine oil going to the tranny on 09-newer bikes, which isn't to say it couldn't happen, but I did a lot of research.
On this particular issue a friend bought a brand new hold over 2010 530EXC 6 days last year. During his first major ride with the bike last summer in the Ouray area we started noticing considerable oil usage on it. After he got back from the trip he found his transmission oil to be overfilled. He took it to the dealer and they found that oil was transferring from the engine side to the transmission side. They fixed the issue under warranty, so I would say it is still definitely possible with the 09 bikes and the 10 Six Days
Old 05-08-2012, 02:29 AM   #3217
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,859
thanks for the info guys.

Is there a thread about converting the engine to a single sump?
DRjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:06 AM   #3218
Krazyjohnny
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
Single sump oil solution?????

Why couldn't you have a piece of stainless tubing bent and installed with the proper fittings into the lower screen locations, thus manifolding the two sumps together? I am thinking this would not help with flow, but just "axing" the "queshun".
08' 530 EXCR, 09' Yamaha FZ-6 and dreaming of a new bike
Krazyjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:19 AM   #3219
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 6,959
Quick question:

Will a 530 run w/out a battery or with a dead battery if kick started?
Old 05-08-2012, 07:46 AM   #3220
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,333
Quote:
I don't know of a single person that has swapped an RFS into a XC4 chassis, the engine mounting points are too different. People are using 07-11 SX-F and XC-F donors, the DOHC engines of those years are definitely problematic and they wear out very quickly. Lots of those bikes being parted out so you can often build a hydrid cheaper than buying a newer EXC-R. The SX-F/XC-F are also reported to handle a bit better, even if only few people will be good enough to really benefit from this - I am certainly not.

That being said I personally do not want an engine that burns oil, which a lot of XC4 owners - even post 08 - seem to have accepted as normal operating procedure. Just glad that I don't have that problem in the XC4 derivative in my FE570, and I also prefer the single sump...
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:51 AM   #3221
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,490
Here's one:

http://www.dirttricks.com/rfs_in_new_frame.htm

I've seen a few others. I know Cross Country did it. I don't know that it's worth it, though. RFS engines have their own issues, too.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:55 AM   #3222
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
Here's one:

http://www.dirttricks.com/rfs_in_new_frame.htm

I've seen a few others. I know Cross Country did it. I don't know that it's worth it, though. RFS engines have their own issues, too.

Here is one what? That's not an XC4 chassis, neither is Jar's, Cross-Country's, Olzy's or anybody elses on the forums....

Here is mine, also a XC-F (DOHC engine) frame:

LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:58 AM   #3223
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,490
Ah... XC- F. I was thinking Tony's was an XC4 chassis.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:09 AM   #3224
cross-country

Oddometer: 1,531
[QUOTE=LukasM;18638552]I don't know of a single person that has swapped an RFS into a XC4 chassis, the engine mounting points are too different. People are using 07-11 SX-F and XC-F donors, the DOHC engines of those years are definitely problematic and they wear out very quickly. QUOTE]

Much like the 08 530's the 07 450's (twin cam) gave the design a bad name. They were actually a very tough engine. I put 150 very hard hours on my XC-f without even a valve adjustment. They also out handled a 530 or 450 XC4 by a large degree.

The Hybrid that I built did not handle anything like it did in it's previous life. I originally put a 540 in it (mistake), once I took that out and put a 450 in it, it handled as good or better than a 530. The only way I would do this again would be to use a short stroke 450 (SX) engine.
That would be a sweet bike.

The RFS has it's own problems but can be built in many various configs. It also had many great upgrades that made it bullit proof, if you spent the money.

Here is mine getting beat to death, as usual. I miss RicketyCricket!

edit; whoops, sorry for clogging the thread with these deets, when I was typing this I thought I was in the RFS thread.

cross-country screwed with this post 05-08-2012 at 01:39 PM
cross-country is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:37 PM   #3225
onetravdown
I can't ride where?

Oddometer: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRjoe View Post
thanks for the info guys.

Is there a thread about converting the engine to a single sump?
I would be interested in this as well. I've seen some people have had it done but can never find any info about doing it or having it converted. Anyone?
onetravdown is offline   Reply With Quote