ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-21-2012, 12:24 PM   #3271
KTM Explorer
Dirt Whore
 
KTM Explorer's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Kirkland, WA
Oddometer: 194
The PW Garfiled is THE setup to use - have him install the turns - aaaaaand DONE.

Absolutely the best, man what an improvement.
The turns are BRIGHT, the fit is immaculate, the running/brake light is lo-profile....flawless.
KTM Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:10 AM   #3272
Krazyjohnny
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: McKinney, TX
Oddometer: 424
Thank you

Parts inbound
__________________
President and Founder of
Superhero Proving Grounds
"Where dreams are made and egos are checked"
08' 530 EXCR, 09' Yamaha FZ-6 and dreaming of a new bike
Krazyjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:18 AM   #3273
FlyingDutchman
Dirt Biker
 
FlyingDutchman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Ontario. Canada.
Oddometer: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM Explorer View Post
The PW Garfiled is THE setup to use - The turns are BRIGHT, the fit is immaculate, the running/brake light is lo-profile.
But I had 2 already and now I'm using the XC-W brake light...YMMV (Paul had is a good guy and replaced them for free)
FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:50 AM   #3274
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite
 
jesusgatos's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: on the road
Oddometer: 2,332
Received my new Renazco seat a few days ago. The Acerbis X-Seat that I was running was killing me. The Acerbis seat is OK for aggressive trailriding because it's really tough/durable, waterproof, and has decent traction. But if you actually want to sit on it, whew. It's rock-fucking-hard. Anyway, had the idea stuck in my head that I might like a supermoto-style step-seat. Mostly because it seems like I exert a lot of energy just trying not to get blown off the bike when riding at higher speeds on-road. So we put the step in the seat pretty far forward, but the transition area in the step is more gradual than a hard break, so it's not in the way when trying to shift my weight further back. The raised portion of the step-seat is also really nice on longer rides, when I want to move around a little bit, stretch my legs, etc. It's almost like having two seats in one (stock-height and a tall seat). Have to sit a little bit further back on the bike to get up on top of the step, but it's makes for pretty comfy cruising. Know that not many people are riding 2-up on these bikes, but I do, and the step-seat is great for that too. After putting about 400 miles on this seat over the last couple days, just wanted to let everyone know that I think this seat might make an even bigger difference in high-speed comfort than a fairing. It's amazing. The wind-blast doesn't even phase me anymore. The shape of this step-seat, in combination with the suede cover, keeps me glued to the bike without any of the pinching (legs) and pulling (arms). Really helps with the fatigue that would usually set in after a few hours in the saddle. Thanks James!

jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:40 PM   #3275
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!
 
Yellow Pig's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Thousand Oaks, Ca.
Oddometer: 6,907
Who makes those clutch levers that have a much better leverage point and reduce pull by like 30-40%?
__________________
So Many Idiots, So Few Comets!!!!!!!!!
Yellow Pig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:53 PM   #3276
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite
 
jesusgatos's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: on the road
Oddometer: 2,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post
Who makes those clutch levers that have a much better leverage point and reduce pull by like 30-40%?
http://www.midwestme.com/
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:44 PM   #3277
Hypermofo
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Atlanta
Oddometer: 241
fork question

I'm swapping the fork springs (or planning to once I locate a pin wrench) and I'm wondering if a regular open end wrench will work in place of special tool T14032 (the open end wrench looking tool) to remove the pre-load adjusters? Does anyone know what size it is?

Since I'm swapping springs and the bike's got about 25hours on it (and it's about a year old) I figured I would go ahead and change the oil. Is it necessary to fully disassemble the forks and remove the cartridge? Or can I just pour the oil out and replace once I remove the springs?

Thanks for helping out a fancy fork noob

HM
__________________
__________________________________________
Hey, is my collar bone supposed to look like that?
Hypermofo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:16 PM   #3278
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!
 
Yellow Pig's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Thousand Oaks, Ca.
Oddometer: 6,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos View Post
Perfect!

That's the one.
__________________
So Many Idiots, So Few Comets!!!!!!!!!
Yellow Pig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 04:51 AM   #3279
Enecosse
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: The Sandpit
Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypermofo View Post
I'm swapping the fork springs (or planning to once I locate a pin wrench) and I'm wondering if a regular open end wrench will work in place of special tool T14032 (the open end wrench looking tool) to remove the pre-load adjusters? Does anyone know what size it is?

Since I'm swapping springs and the bike's got about 25hours on it (and it's about a year old) I figured I would go ahead and change the oil. Is it necessary to fully disassemble the forks and remove the cartridge? Or can I just pour the oil out and replace once I remove the springs?

Thanks for helping out a fancy fork noob

HM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glG3gUjxjEU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo5NSJI3M60
Enecosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:16 AM   #3280
KevinColorado
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Woodland Park, Colorado
Oddometer: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypermofo View Post
I'm swapping the fork springs (or planning to once I locate a pin wrench) and I'm wondering if a regular open end wrench will work in place of special tool T14032 (the open end wrench looking tool) to remove the pre-load adjusters? Does anyone know what size it is?

Since I'm swapping springs and the bike's got about 25hours on it (and it's about a year old) I figured I would go ahead and change the oil. Is it necessary to fully disassemble the forks and remove the cartridge? Or can I just pour the oil out and replace once I remove the springs?

Thanks for helping out a fancy fork noob

HM

No need to fully disassemble the whole lot... if all you are doing is springs. Look up Slavens Racing... he has some videos that will help. You can also look up some videos on youtube... none specific to the KTM but it will help.

The main thing is having that special tool to get the cap off... too bad you don't live in the Springs... Slavens has just about everything you could need and want for your bike. He does ship though!

There is also a service shop manual online if you look hard... google it and it is in PDF format.
KevinColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:44 AM   #3281
FlyingDutchman
Dirt Biker
 
FlyingDutchman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Ontario. Canada.
Oddometer: 777
Light for KTM 530 and 950 Adventure??

Anybody using a light or know of one that can be put on a 530 for a night ride and then transferred, plug n' play to a 950 Adventure??

Pics and links appreciated.
FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 03:39 PM   #3282
dirtdiver
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Oddometer: 1,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdiver View Post
Gents,
I went to day to remove my back tire. I had to beat the axel out of the wheel after removing the axe nut. After I got the axel out I noticed that the bushings on each side were gritty to turn and a metallic coating from the inside diameter of the bushing was bubbling off. Like heat or corrosion.




What is going on here? I have not seen this before.

DD
I decided to replace the bearings with a Moose upgraded set. All I could figure is that I was getting a heat build up from bad bearings. I will replace the bushing parts too. The parts come in tomorrow I think.

As quick update on my 2009 530. I bought it new about 3 years ago. At 15 hours it was burning about 1cc of oil per mile. I tried a bunch of different things that the factory guy told me with no joy. I kept working with them and by 30 hours they had replaced the top end. I had the new engine and it worked perfect with no oil usage for about the first 50 hours. All of a sudden it was burning oil at 1cc per 2.2 miles. I was disappointed but decided to just live with it. I figured it would get worse and I would rebuild the top end.

The funny thing is that now I am at 270 hours and it has no change for the worse. It still burns a bit of oil but my typical rides are around 500-700 miles and I replenish the oil with a small 300cc jug I carry. It really has not been an issue.



DD
__________________
04 CRF230F
08 KTM990 ADV/ABS Black
09 KTM 530 EXC
dirtdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:02 PM   #3283
Hypermofo
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Atlanta
Oddometer: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinColorado View Post
No need to fully disassemble the whole lot... if all you are doing is springs. Look up Slavens Racing... he has some videos that will help. You can also look up some videos on youtube... none specific to the KTM but it will help.

The main thing is having that special tool to get the cap off... too bad you don't live in the Springs... Slavens has just about everything you could need and want for your bike. He does ship though!

There is also a service shop manual online if you look hard... google it and it is in PDF format.
...too bad indeed...

Thanks for the info - I'll check out Slaven's site!

HM
__________________
__________________________________________
Hey, is my collar bone supposed to look like that?
Hypermofo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:01 AM   #3284
trailjammer
Gnarly Adventurer
 
trailjammer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: San Jose, CA
Oddometer: 328
I don't know of a specific light, but if i was going to go that route, I'd probably get some nice LED's that you can easily mount to like the forks and plug in. Build a custom mount, etc. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman View Post
Anybody using a light or know of one that can be put on a 530 for a night ride and then transferred, plug n' play to a 950 Adventure??

Pics and links appreciated.
__________________
TRAILJAMMER DESIGNS -KTM/Berg/YAMAHA PROTECTION! www.facebook.com/trailjammer408
www.trailjammerdesigns.com
trailjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:46 PM   #3285
windyhill
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Oddometer: 64
Quote:
As quick update on my 2009 530. I bought it new about 3 years ago. At 15 hours it was burning about 1cc of oil per mile. I tried a bunch of different things that the factory guy told me with no joy. I kept working with them and by 30 hours they had replaced the top end. I had the new engine and it worked perfect with no oil usage for about the first 50 hours. All of a sudden it was burning oil at 1cc per 2.2 miles. I was disappointed but decided to just live with it. I figured it would get worse and I would rebuild the top end.

The funny thing is that now I am at 270 hours and it has no change for the worse. It still burns a bit of oil but my typical rides are around 500-700 miles and I replenish the oil with a small 300cc jug I carry. It really has not been an issue



After updating to the 11' spec rings and continuing to burn oil, I gave up on the stock piston. Installed a Wossner piston, now 20 hours later, the bike uses no oil, like a proper 4-stroke. Leave that oil jug at home. Something to consider when you freshen it up next time.

windyhill screwed with this post 05-31-2012 at 02:32 PM
windyhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014