ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2012, 06:35 AM   #3286
IN2DEEP530
n00b
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Oddometer: 2
Whats the better buy

Which of these to you see as the better buy....

2009 KTM 530 EXC-R $7000
Bike is new with only 161 miles and 5.3 hrs on the meter. NEVER SEEN DIRT. I bought it new and never used it. I installed a JD Jet kit before the bike left the garage. I added a euro tail section, quick release skid plate, slave cylinder guard, sicass tail lights, tool bag, enduro mirror, FMF slip-on. I also have a brand new set of black Excel wheels that have never had tires on them. Two new Conti SM tire (120), (160) and two new michelin tubes. Two front fenders one is KTM and the other is UFO. Wheel sizes are 5.00 rear and 3.50 front. Both have Talon hubs abd stainless bulldog spokes

2011 KTM 530 EXC $6800
2011 Ktm 530 EXC
-Barely ridden (17hrs - 506 miles
-FMF slip on
-JD jet kit installed
-Rear fender eliminator installed
-LED turn signal
-Have new mirrors that fold down while riding in woods still in package, and also have buddy pegs still in package!!
-Road ready, will need a back tire soon

Appreciate your thoughts.
IN2DEEP530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:19 AM   #3287
windyhill
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by IN2DEEP530 View Post
Which of these to you see as the better buy....

2009 KTM 530 EXC-R $7000
Bike is new with only 161 miles and 5.3 hrs on the meter. NEVER SEEN DIRT. I bought it new and never used it. I installed a JD Jet kit before the bike left the garage. I added a euro tail section, quick release skid plate, slave cylinder guard, sicass tail lights, tool bag, enduro mirror, FMF slip-on. I also have a brand new set of black Excel wheels that have never had tires on them. Two new Conti SM tire (120), (160) and two new michelin tubes. Two front fenders one is KTM and the other is UFO. Wheel sizes are 5.00 rear and 3.50 front. Both have Talon hubs abd stainless bulldog spokes

2011 KTM 530 EXC $6800
2011 Ktm 530 EXC
-Barely ridden (17hrs - 506 miles
-FMF slip on
-JD jet kit installed
-Rear fender eliminator installed
-LED turn signal
-Have new mirrors that fold down while riding in woods still in package, and also have buddy pegs still in package!!
-Road ready, will need a back tire soon

Appreciate your thoughts.

While it sounds like the 09 comes with some great extras, for that much coin, I'd go for the newer bike. My .02 cents.
windyhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:32 PM   #3288
hooknup
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Fairhope, Alabama
Oddometer: 263
09 is way too high. I have my 09 listed for $5500 with 1600 miles.
__________________
2013 500 exc

09 530 exc - great bike SOLD

1969 Honda Ct-70 (Late night yard basher)
hooknup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:17 PM   #3289
Michhub
Major Medical
 
Michhub's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Queen Creek AZ
Oddometer: 3,737
The '09 seller is trying to recoup the cost of those SM wheels....you could make a deal without them to bring it down.
They are worth at least $1500....
__________________
Mike
Reinheitsgebot
'07 990ADV '08 530EXCR '04 XR650L
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:24 PM   #3290
tobys
OCD Hobbiest
 
tobys's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Redmond, WA
Oddometer: 321
2011

Unless you really want the SM setup...
tobys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:19 AM   #3291
RobertoGatos
Go-Go-GatosBros!
 
RobertoGatos's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Chico, Ca
Oddometer: 49
If your bike is blowing oil or transferring oil...

One of my bikes was transferring oil, and after splitting cases to replace every seal (with no luck) the problem was finally found to be in the idler gear (KTM PN 78033053200). There is a brass bushing pressed into the steel gear, and in that assembly, there are two oil ports that must line up (between the bushing and gear) If these ports do not line up it will cause your bike to blow oil out of the transmission and / or transfer oil. Check this before you start replacing crank and oil pump seals.
To fix the problem:
A: Buy a new gear, the current wait is about a moth and no one has them in stock. KTM in Austria will have them in about three weeks (supposedly) ... I'm not feel in that.
B: Heat up the gear in the oven, take it out, support the back side of the gear with a large socket, then cool the inner brass bushing with a piece of ice, find a socket the same size as the OD of the brass ring, and bang it out with a hammer. Reassemble in a similar fashion, heating the gear and freezing the ring. When pressing the assembly together use high temperature sleeve retaining compound on the interference fit. Also note that the oil ports are not centered in the brass bushing, so make sure the right side is facing up. Hopefully your oil ports are now lined up and you can go ride...
Also... If you have an 08, the right side crank seal cannot be replaced with the seal out of the newer bikes. Use sleeve retainer to hold in the 2008 seal in place. Only problem this bike has had in 175 hrs of riding/racing, and it has been sunk a few times. She's a baby!
__________________
GatosBros
RobertoGatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:45 AM   #3292
header
Chris
 
header's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Salt Lake City
Oddometer: 1,741
Anyone have an Acerbis 3.4 gallon orange tank they would be willing to part with? I'm having trouble finding one for a used price.

__________________


KTM 530exc
525exc refresh
header is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:48 AM   #3293
windyhill
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertoGatos View Post
One of my bikes was transferring oil, and after splitting cases to replace every seal (with no luck) the problem was finally found to be in the idler gear (KTM PN 78033053200). There is a brass bushing pressed into the steel gear, and in that assembly, there are two oil ports that must line up (between the bushing and gear) If these ports do not line up it will cause your bike to blow oil out of the transmission and / or transfer oil. Check this before you start replacing crank and oil pump seals.
To fix the problem:
A: Buy a new gear, the current wait is about a moth and no one has them in stock. KTM in Austria will have them in about three weeks (supposedly) ... I'm not feel in that.
B: Heat up the gear in the oven, take it out, support the back side of the gear with a large socket, then cool the inner brass bushing with a piece of ice, find a socket the same size as the OD of the brass ring, and bang it out with a hammer. Reassemble in a similar fashion, heating the gear and freezing the ring. When pressing the assembly together use high temperature sleeve retaining compound on the interference fit. Also note that the oil ports are not centered in the brass bushing, so make sure the right side is facing up. Hopefully your oil ports are now lined up and you can go ride...
Also... If you have an 08, the right side crank seal cannot be replaced with the seal out of the newer bikes. Use sleeve retainer to hold in the 2008 seal in place. Only problem this bike has had in 175 hrs of riding/racing, and it has been sunk a few times. She's a baby!

Good find, I don't think I've read about that one before. Do you think it was a manufacturing defect, or did the bushing shift on the shaft?
windyhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:51 AM   #3294
Country Doc
Wanderer
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: somwhere north of Kingston, Ontario
Oddometer: 2,660
Both seem like pretty decent prices. The '09 IMHO is a great deal with the SM wheel set included, which would be at least $1500, probably more with those Conti-SM tires. Maybe around $2k if you were to buy it new.

There isn't really any substantive difference between the '09 and '11 bikes. Some chassis changes, but no big deal. The '09 has barely been used at all (both have barely been used, but 5.3 hrs is not even broken in).

If you could scoop the '09 for a few hundred less than his asking price I think you'd end up with a great bike for a very good price. If you didn't want the SM wheels you could easily recoup over $1k by reselling them (although when you try them, you might change your mind!).

dc
Country Doc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:25 PM   #3295
KTM Explorer
Dirt Whore
 
KTM Explorer's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Kirkland, WA
Oddometer: 194
Rear brak pedal........

Still find that rear brake hard to accurately locate... a bit larger would be better, in my case.

Anyone use this?



http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-TORC-1-R...23601259597618
KTM Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:48 PM   #3296
trailjammer
Gnarly Adventurer
 
trailjammer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: San Jose, CA
Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM Explorer View Post
Still find that rear brake hard to accurately locate... a bit larger would be better, in my case.

Anyone use this?



http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-TORC-1-R...23601259597618

I've ridden my friends bike w/one. It was nice, but I can't really say it felt 'wider' for the brake platform, but it did grab your tow better w/the spikes. Nice having the option of replaceable pieces too.
__________________
TRAILJAMMER DESIGNS -KTM/Berg/YAMAHA PROTECTION! www.facebook.com/trailjammer408
www.trailjammerdesigns.com
trailjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:50 PM   #3297
trailjammer
Gnarly Adventurer
 
trailjammer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: San Jose, CA
Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Doc View Post
Both seem like pretty decent prices. The '09 IMHO is a great deal with the SM wheel set included, which would be at least $1500, probably more with those Conti-SM tires. Maybe around $2k if you were to buy it new.

There isn't really any substantive difference between the '09 and '11 bikes. Some chassis changes, but no big deal. The '09 has barely been used at all (both have barely been used, but 5.3 hrs is not even broken in).

If you could scoop the '09 for a few hundred less than his asking price I think you'd end up with a great bike for a very good price. If you didn't want the SM wheels you could easily recoup over $1k by reselling them (although when you try them, you might change your mind!).

dc
I totally agree with you Country Doc. You nailed it. The '09 does have a lot of goodies.
__________________
TRAILJAMMER DESIGNS -KTM/Berg/YAMAHA PROTECTION! www.facebook.com/trailjammer408
www.trailjammerdesigns.com
trailjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:21 AM   #3298
1 lunger
Beastly Adventurer
 
1 lunger's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Bloomfield CT
Oddometer: 1,205
Picked my brothers 530 up after it was stolen and fixed. He came and picked it up at my house, went home, locked it up and it was gone again the next day. WTF, bad luck or what?


Life is good!
1 lunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:34 AM   #3299
Michhub
Major Medical
 
Michhub's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Queen Creek AZ
Oddometer: 3,737
That does suck....sounds like a neighbor saw him bring it home....maybe some video surveillance and a junker decoy bike would catch them....what kind of "locked up"?
__________________
Mike
Reinheitsgebot
'07 990ADV '08 530EXCR '04 XR650L
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:10 PM   #3300
WVa Dualsport
Gnarly Adventurer
 
WVa Dualsport's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Buckhannon, WV
Oddometer: 388
Sounds to me like your brother lives in the wrong part of the world. Some of us don't have to live with that type of crime yet.
Hopefully he can retrieve it again. I'll bet the insurance company loved that call too.
__________________
2010 450 EXC
WVa Dualsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014