Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2012, 10:00 AM   #3346
Krazyjohnny
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 435
Carb Jetting

Ok,

I have tried a couple of carb changes with no difference:

First change was to lower the clip on the red needle to the third from the bottom position using the 175 main and the 42 pilot as prescribed by the JD instructions for here just north of Dallas, TX. with mixture screw out 1.5 turns. Still flat on top.

Next was to lower the needle clip down to the lowest position with no other changes. Still flat on top.

Then jumped to 180 Main with red needle in lowest clip position and no tother changes. Still the same no change.

Next was to change out to the 48 pilot and adjust the mixture screw out to 2 turns with the 180 main in and the red needle setting on the lowest clip position. Still the same.

Any help in this is appreciated. I also have an e-mail into JD Jetting on this for their advice.
08' 530 EXCR, 09' Yamaha FZ-6 and dreaming of a new bike
Krazyjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:29 AM   #3347
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazyjohnny View Post
Ok,

I have tried a couple of carb changes with no difference:

First change was to lower the clip on the red needle to the third from the bottom position using the 175 main and the 42 pilot as prescribed by the JD instructions for here just north of Dallas, TX. with mixture screw out 1.5 turns. Still flat on top.
I think you're too rich. I run a needle that's pretty close to a JD Red in profile, and my sea level setup is a 165. You won't seize it going lean, it'll just quit running... so try going down a bunch and see what you get.

Fun ride this morning, 50 miles of mostly singletrack before breakfast. I bolted all the spare parts from Dakar together into an operational bike, the motor ran the first half of the race and came in to the rest day with about a cup of coolant after I boiled it in the dunes, again and again.

I was worried... but I should not have been. It's quiet, runs stronger than any other 450 I've had, and my pile of parts is actually a darn good motorcycle! I love these things.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:14 PM   #3348
Fulano
Scooter Trash

Oddometer: 424
Cdt

Any one do the CDT on their 530? Would you discourage / recommend?

All I need are loose shoes, tight pussy and a warm place to shit.
Fulano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:05 PM   #3349
Krazyjohnny
Gnarly Adventurer

Ned,

Thanks for the advice. I get lots of popping and cutting out on the top end and on decel. I thought that was a sign of being too lean? I am trying to learn so I am all ears. I have the JD kit installed currently with the 175 main; red needle set with the clip on the 5th position from the top; and the 42 pilot installed with the fuel screw set out about 1.25 turns. The bike has been desmogged with the restrictors taken out of the stock silencer. Maybe I need to re-install the spark screen looking thing?
Old 07-15-2012, 06:45 PM   #3350
Stobie
Mr. Motivated

Oddometer: 1,853
Quote:
Ned,

Thanks for the advice. I get lots of popping and cutting out on the top end and on decel. I thought that was a sign of being too lean? I am trying to learn so I am all ears. I have the JD kit installed currently with the 175 main; red needle set with the clip on the 5th position from the top; and the 42 pilot installed with the fuel screw set out about 1.25 turns. The bike has been desmogged with the restrictors taken out of the stock silencer. Maybe I need to re-install the spark screen looking thing?
You might need to set your float height. Too high, and the bowl will stay too full, and you can be rich throughout the range. Too low, and you can be too lean throughout the range.

Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them.

-Albert Einstein
Stobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:35 AM   #3351
Bungholio
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 549
Quote:
Ned,

I may have missed you mentioning this but have you cleaned your air filter?
Bungholio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:55 AM   #3352
Krazyjohnny
Gnarly Adventurer

New air filter installed. I will try it w/o filter next to see if it makes any difference. I am also going to check out the accelerator pump adjustment as well to make sure it is timed right and that the diaphram is installed right. I know that makes a difference in the off idle stumble stuff I have experienced. I have never had issues on my other bikes with this same kit installed in them.

Krazyjohnny screwed with this post 07-16-2012 at 09:00 AM Reason: more info.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:15 AM   #3353
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,786
I'm amazed at how differently the same year/ model can perform.

Case in point- I had 2 2009 450 XCWs that were my Dakar bike and source of spares. The first motor always ran better, same carb, same exhaust, same everything. There was a perceptible difference in power and vibration between the two motors.

Point being, I think there's more variability here than always gets credit. Different engines, subtle differences between the carbs, and that's all it takes for things to not be perfect.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:41 AM   #3354
lopaca
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
CDT and a 530

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulano View Post
Any one do the CDT on their 530? Would you discourage / recommend?
I did the western half of the TAT on my 08 530 and was all but set to do CDT when jobs got in the way so we have yet to do it. Those that have done it can chime in, but based on my research the CDT is much easier than the TAT and is more jeep trails and forest roads so the 530 would be just fine, assuming you have it set up for long distance rides. I have the Acerbis 6 gal. tank and never ran out of gas while doing the TAT, not that I didn't come close once or twice!

Again from what I have read, lots of the larger DS bikes (BMW GS, KTM Adventure, etc.) do it without too many challenges.

The 530 should be fine. Let us know!
Old 07-16-2012, 10:58 AM   #3355
Fulano
Scooter Trash

Oddometer: 424
Thanks LoPaca. I was going to do it on my 640 but I am currently having reliability issues with it so my fall back is my trusty steed, the 530. I to have the Acerbis 6 gal tank so gas is not an issue. I am at sea level and pondering whether the fuel / air mixture screw is going to get me through or if I need to adjust my carb settings and do other such things. So any setup advice would be greatly appreciated.

All I need are loose shoes, tight pussy and a warm place to shit.
Fulano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:49 PM   #3356
Country Doc
Wanderer

Oddometer: 2,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stobie View Post
You might need to set your float height. Too high, and the bowl will stay too full, and you can be rich throughout the range. Too low, and you can be too lean throughout the range.
Definitely check the float height. I had lots of rich-running problems on my '09 450 until I checked the floats, and they were significantly too high from the factory. Set them, and the bike has been great since.

I am running the JD kit similar to yours - red needle, but had to modify it after going to the 520 kit and 41mm carb bore. Now I have a 45 pilot and 185 main. Crazy main jet size, but it works, and my fuel mileage is still almost identical to previous (only a couple mpg less). I found I needed the 185 main as it would starve on the top end and run hot. When my bike was a 450, it always ran well with the 170 main at sea level and the red needle/42 pilot like yours (after setting the floats properly).

Re: popping on decel - I've never been successful at eliminating this with any amount of fiddling until I reinstalled the spark screen. Now it's nice and quiet on overrun.

Ok, it was, until I lost the spark screen. Again. Despite gobs of red loctite. Should have safety-wired it.

dc
Country Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:47 PM   #3357
lopaca
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulano View Post
Thanks LoPaca. I was going to do it on my 640 but I am currently having reliability issues with it so my fall back is my trusty steed, the 530. I to have the Acerbis 6 gal tank so gas is not an issue. I am at sea level and pondering whether the fuel / air mixture screw is going to get me through or if I need to adjust my carb settings and do other such things. So any setup advice would be greatly appreciated.
I did not have to adjust mine at on our TAT ride and we hit some pretty high peaks. I don't think you have worry about it.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:27 PM   #3358
antpatterson
XR650L_High_Runner

Oddometer: 378
Whats the largest aftermarket tank I can get for the 08 XCR-W that still allows the shrouds to be used? I'm not really digging the shroud attached to the tank minus the graphics but I've seen some 530's on here with larger tanks it seems with the stock shrouds attached to them and it looks nice. Also does anyone use anything other than Motorex oil for their bike with good results? My local shop costs me $85 for 2 bottles and online $75 for 4 liters plus the wait for it get here. I've got NO PROBLEM using what is recommended but if there is something that is slightly cheaper and gets the same protection/smoothness from the clutch and etc. then I'd rather save me some money to help get bigger tanks for my 450 and 650 sooner for an upcoming rally along with top end rebuilds.

Also, can I just bolt up a 530 top end to the 450? Difference between the 530 and 450? Just curious.
XR80r
2008 XCRW450
antpatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:40 AM   #3359
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by antpatterson View Post
Whats the largest aftermarket tank I can get for the 08 XCR-W that still allows the shrouds to be used? I'm not really digging the shroud attached to the tank minus the graphics but I've seen some 530's on here with larger tanks it seems with the stock shrouds attached to them and it looks nice. Also does anyone use anything other than Motorex oil for their bike with good results? My local shop costs me $85 for 2 bottles and online $75 for 4 liters plus the wait for it get here. I've got NO PROBLEM using what is recommended but if there is something that is slightly cheaper and gets the same protection/smoothness from the clutch and etc. then I'd rather save me some money to help get bigger tanks for my 450 and 650 sooner for an upcoming rally along with top end rebuilds.

Also, can I just bolt up a 530 top end to the 450? Difference between the 530 and 450? Just curious.
The Clockwork tank allows you to retain the shrouds, is translucent and has a great shape that carries the fuel low.

Shell Rotella T is a cheap and popular oil that lots of pros swear on.

I don't think you can't bolt on a 530 cylinder, the 450 has a shorter stroke crank. Thumper Racing makes a big bore kit for it however.
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:33 AM   #3360
Krazyjohnny
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks Doc

Doc,

I am fortunate that James Dean has the same bike and he is working with me on this issue. The carb will be removed tonight when I get home and I will be checking the floats as well as the accelerator pump (AP) diaphram items. JD mentioned the float level also as well as the AP spacer and o-ring gizmo on the linkage.