Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2012, 04:01 PM   #3391
Double Moo
lookin' for adventure

Oddometer: 1,144
Check your breather hose on the gas cap. Mine plugged on a long hot ride... Spent an hour trying to get it started in100 degree weather. Finally opened the gas cap and found that it was plugged and the tank was in vacuum. Pulled the line off and it started right up and rode fine. Just some dust plugging the vent ball in the breather.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:22 PM   #3392
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Oddometer: 2,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Moo View Post
Check your breather hose on the gas cap. Mine plugged on a long hot ride... Spent an hour trying to get it started in100 degree weather. Finally opened the gas cap and found that it was plugged and the tank was in vacuum. Pulled the line off and it started right up and rode fine. Just some dust plugging the vent ball in the breather.
Double Moo, do you still have the canister in the Air filter compartment or did you remove it. Still got mine, is that the problem? Thanks
2003 KLR 650 Alaskan Adventure
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Lappeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:18 PM   #3393
Double Moo
lookin' for adventure

Canister is gone. Off the gas cap I have about a 2" tube with a breather cap on it. If your bike is dying at a similar point each time it is probably getting starved for fuel, most commonly from the tank being in vacuum. If it does it again immediately open the gas cap and check for negative pressure... If it sucks, it's not getting any air.

My lawn mower did this last year! After pulling it down, cleaning the carb, checking filters, etc... I was stumped. Then I recalled my 530 issues and the next time it faltered I grabbed for the cap, bingo. New cap for $4 and it's been golden!
Old 07-29-2012, 05:22 PM   #3394
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Oddometer: 2,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Moo View Post
Canister is gone. Off the gas cap I have about a 2" tube with a breather cap on it. If your bike is dying at a similar point each time it is probably getting starved for fuel, most commonly from the tank being in vacuum. If it does it again immediately open the gas cap and check for negative pressure... If it sucks, it's not tatting any air.

My lawn mower did this last year! After pulling it down, cleaning the carb, checking filters, etc... I was stumped. Then I recalled my 530 issues and the next time it faltered I grabbed for the cap, bingo. New cap for $4 and it's been golden!
Thanks Double Moo, I'll try that!
2003 KLR 650 Alaskan Adventure
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Lappeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:02 AM   #3395
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,356
Installed that 41mm FCR. It was off a 2007 450SX. Bike is a 450XCW. Switched over all the jetting from the stock 39mm carb, which is a JD red needle (3rd clip from top), 175, 100, 85, 40, o-ring on the accelerator pump, RD flexjet, Boysen quickshot, and ran grrrreat. Usually at around sea-level, but am up in Lake Tahoe at 6000ft right now. The 41mm carb definitely has a bit more to give on the topend, but it feels kinda blubbery/fat on the bottom. Probably just need to fool around with the jetting. The air-fuel mixture screw is cranked-down to where it's only about 1 turn out right now, so might need to install a smaller pilot? Not really sure, but the summabitch hit 108mph!

The SX carb is pretty much identical to the EXC carb externally, except that the vent hose on the bottom of the float bowl exits straight down, instead of at 90-degrees, so I just re-used the EXC float bowl. Would work either way though. No clearance issues. The SX carbs are also equipped with remote hot-start cables, and I had an old lever off a CRF laying around so I installed it, but am probably going to replace it with a block-off plug or another choke knob. Just never seem to have much need for a hot-start. Pics attached that show the cable-routing, mostly because I like this throttle cable routing much better.

Also installed a quick-disconnect in the fuel line. It's too long to install without re-routing the fuel lines, so I added a 90 and then reused the stock 180. Looks stupid, but it sure is nice. With the built-in shrouds on the Acerbis tank, I can have the tank off my bike in less than 30-seconds (including removing the seat).

jesusgatos screwed with this post 07-30-2012 at 01:13 AM
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:26 AM   #3396
Krazyjohnny
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
Talking fixes in prep for Arkansas TAT leg

I got my carb back together and everything is like "peas and carrots". The accelerator pump diaphram was coming apart (thanks ethanol) and had sent little pieces of black rubber throughout and I am certain I was not getting full use of it. Only problem I had was the ability to remove the spacer form the JD kit off of the old AP diaphram to go on the new one. No worries, it runs great. Brought up the frontend in 2nd gear even last night. I know many of you are far better riders than I am and that is not a big deal to you, but it was exciting to me all the same. My old CRF250X would do the same thing, but was geared a bit different and I would rev the $#!+ out of it too.

I got my pattern out to the gear guru a met up with for my custom luggage carrier last week and hope to hear from him this week so we can get that all put together. Maps and roll charts are ordered and inbound. Honey do list is almost done. Next is to figure out if I can get TAT routes to download to the iPhone 4S so I can have some sort of GPS tracking of how I am progressing.
08' 530 EXCR, 09' Yamaha FZ-6 and dreaming of a new bike
Krazyjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:16 PM   #3397
KTM Explorer
Dirt Whore

Oddometer: 194
PMB kiskstands for these bikes (mine = 2010 530 EXC):

Can we get them in silver??

All I see available is black, which gets dinged all to hell....
Link to a silver unit is appreciated!
KTM Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:05 PM   #3398
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos View Post
Installed that 41mm FCR.
Interesting, thanks for the informative post.

From the DAMHIK department, carry a couple of spare o-rings for the quick disconnect, they tend to get buggered and start leaking. But nice to be able to pop tank on and off without pliers!

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:12 AM   #3399
Krazyjohnny
Gnarly Adventurer

Explorer,

I did see that they offered it in clear anodized at some point. I just went with the black so it matched the frame. It is a huge improvement over the factory piece.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:55 PM   #3400
antpatterson
XR650L_High_Runner

Oddometer: 379
After riding at a friends place today on his trails I found what may or may not be a problem.

Being a new place I decided to go slower and after awhile I noticed my 450 started to bog? I would whack the throttle and it would not want to get up and go, after letting her cool down and picking up the pace no problems. Later on I went through some sand and was going slow in it because it was the crappy fine sand and so it did it again (stayed out of that the rest of the day). After going about 30-45mph through his trails I never had anymore problems, so is this normal? I have a Rekluse clutch in it so would this affect it? It is HOT down here in Mississippi so I'm thinking it was just the slowness I started out with.

If this is normal I suppose a fan kit and coolant catcher should be in my list of mods then aye? Really working on getting a clockwork tank but I prefer to have my engine safe than worry with fuel fillups.
XR80r
2008 XCRW450
antpatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:21 AM   #3401
Krazyjohnny
Gnarly Adventurer

DId you have fresh fuel in the tank? If not the ethanol may be effecting your engine until it gets run out of the tank. Ethanol separates from gasoline over time. It also attracts (hydrophylic?) water. I have also recently had to replace my accelerator pump diaphram because of similar symptoms. Mine had started to disentigrate and allow little rubber chunks to make their way throughout the carb. This is the second or third bike I have had this happen with.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:16 AM   #3402
antpatterson
XR650L_High_Runner

Oddometer: 379
I'm glad there is a non-ethanol gas station down my road then, I guess I'll just use JUST their gas but they don't have higher grades of it just regular non-ethanol gas but when I do get ethanol-contaminated gas I get supreme and thought that'd help.

I hate ethanol....
XR80r
2008 XCRW450
antpatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:12 AM   #3403
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,807
Hah! Ive browsed through this whole dang thread,learned a bunch of good stuff about my new ride. Picked up a 2011 530 with 500 miles on it,good bunch of nice extras already on it. It seems out here in CA these things are in short supply,guys were calling offering more for the thing while I drove down to pick it up. How it went 500 miles with the stock taillight I cant imagine,I blew it to bits on the first good bump.

Maybe some just arent ready to jump into the whole FI thing on a trailbike/dual sport. A carb wont bother me any,I already had this one off the bike and it was easy compared to some Ive done.

So Ive had about 14 KTM's since the late 70's,mostly 2 strokes but a couple 400's and 1 snappy/nasty SC620 with a plate,great wheelie bike at speed.
The 400's were mainly slow,an 02 and a 06,I could never get them to run right on tight trails.Heavy.

The nor cal singletrack around here is just tight/slow,for me, 2 strokes are so much better its no contest.
The extra weight on any 4 stroke just doesnt seem like a real advantage,most of the top pros on the National enduro circuit seem to agree with this.My 300 will be the bike of choice for singletrack.

On a grass track I can see where a good 4 stroke could go real fast.

Im just through the basic setup,Safari 4.1 gallon tank,de-smog/jet,LED taillight/signals/Seat Concepts suede seat cover/foam on the way. I cant wait to get this pup out in the Nevada desert!

My last 800 mile ride out there convinced me my tricked out DRZe 400 wouldnt work well no matter what I did to it.
Orange is way better.

Thanks for all the info on this thread!
Old 08-05-2012, 12:11 PM   #3404
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,373
Hey guys,
I've got a 2010 EXC.
The screws that go into the plastic in the rear fender are stripped out, I figure I can't be the only one so thought I should ask what others have done to remedy.
I'm thinking about just drilling through and putting flat head bolts, but I grant you, it's not an elegant solution....

I'd love to see a few pics of what others have done.

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:14 PM   #3405
Double Moo
lookin' for adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1 View Post
Hey guys,
I've got a 2010 EXC.
The screws that go into the plastic in the rear fender are stripped out, I figure I can't be the only one so thought I should ask what others have done to remedy.
I'm thinking about just drilling through and putting flat head bolts, but I grant you, it's not an elegant solution....

I'd love to see a few pics of what others have done.
I've been running with the bolts through e fender for the past 3 years!