ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2012, 11:24 AM   #3406
KMC1
There is no spoon.
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Greater SLC
Oddometer: 2,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Moo View Post
I've been running with the bolts through e fender for the past 3 years!

Yeah, I knew I couldn't be the only one..... I wonder what others have done?
__________________
Obama says adding $4 trillion to debt is unpatriotic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kuTG19Cu_Q&sns=em

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:40 PM   #3407
Foot dragger
singletracker
 
Foot dragger's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: chico,just below rag dump(nor-cal)
Oddometer: 12,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Moo View Post
I've been running with the bolts through e fender for the past 3 years!
Yah its only plastic,bound to get ripped off or split in two sooner or later. I put the new Acerbis X-LED taillight/license plate mount/rear fender piece on my 2011 530, not using the two plastic bosses.
Also put an Acerbis inner fender stiffener in place to keep things from flopping around,lighter/cheaper then the 89.00 KTM euro under fender/taillight piece.
__________________
Some bikes around at times
Foot dragger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:00 PM   #3408
Nijntje
The Riding Dutchman
 
Nijntje's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Southern Oregon
Oddometer: 28
Hey guys,

Recently picked up an '08 530 and in the process of checking over the suspension settings, I found the shock rebound screw to be seemingly frozen in place. Has this happened to anyone else? In all the bikes I've ever owned, I've never seen anything like this before.
Nijntje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:51 PM   #3409
dualsportride
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Plainfield, Indiana
Oddometer: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nijntje View Post
Hey guys,

Recently picked up an '08 530 and in the process of checking over the suspension settings, I found the shock rebound screw to be seemingly frozen in place. Has this happened to anyone else? In all the bikes I've ever owned, I've never seen anything like this before.
If your talking about the one on the top of the forks I have had this issue when I went all the way in one direction. When I did it I was reseting the clicks and I had to get pliers to get it free it up.
dualsportride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:07 PM   #3410
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite
 
jesusgatos's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: on the road
Oddometer: 2,305
Just realized that I've got the opposite problem. One of the clickers on the top of my forks just spins. Someone told me that if you crank on them too hard, they can strip-out. Shit. Leave my bike parked all over the place, so no idea when/where it happened. People mess with them all the time.
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:23 PM   #3411
KMC1
There is no spoon.
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Greater SLC
Oddometer: 2,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Yah its only plastic,bound to get ripped off or split in two sooner or later. I put the new Acerbis X-LED taillight/license plate mount/rear fender piece on my 2011 530, not using the two plastic bosses.
Also put an Acerbis inner fender stiffener in place to keep things from flopping around,lighter/cheaper then the 89.00 KTM euro under fender/taillight piece.
Great info! I like the look of that tail light.
__________________
Obama says adding $4 trillion to debt is unpatriotic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kuTG19Cu_Q&sns=em

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:17 AM   #3412
neduro OP
Addict
 
neduro's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Oddometer: 11,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nijntje View Post
Hey guys,

Recently picked up an '08 530 and in the process of checking over the suspension settings, I found the shock rebound screw to be seemingly frozen in place. Has this happened to anyone else? In all the bikes I've ever owned, I've never seen anything like this before.
This is a common problem, you'll need the shock torn down and rebound needle replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos View Post
Just realized that I've got the opposite problem. One of the clickers on the top of my forks just spins. Someone told me that if you crank on them too hard, they can strip-out. Shit. Leave my bike parked all over the place, so no idea when/where it happened. People mess with them all the time.
This is also pretty common, and probably fixable without any special tools. The rebound adjuster gets "out of range" too deep in the fork and then the adjustment cap no longer adjusts it. Take the top cap off, gently push against the clicker with the rod, while turning it, and you can often get it back on the threads.
__________________
Doubletake Mirrors- Folding D/S mirror that is both useful and indestructible.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:28 AM   #3413
grandpa_ken
Gnarly Adventurer
 
grandpa_ken's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Archer Lodge, NC
Oddometer: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nijntje View Post
Hey guys,

Recently picked up an '08 530 and in the process of checking over the suspension settings, I found the shock rebound screw to be seemingly frozen in place. Has this happened to anyone else? In all the bikes I've ever owned, I've never seen anything like this before.
I had this same trouble when I bought my used bike. I had the shock rebuilt to correct the problem.
__________________
2009 BMW F800GS
2007 KTM 450EXC
grandpa_ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:38 AM   #3414
Foot dragger
singletracker
 
Foot dragger's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: chico,just below rag dump(nor-cal)
Oddometer: 12,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1 View Post
Great info! I like the look of that tail light.
Its a tiny taillight/rear fender piece,smaller then it looks in pics. The taillight matches the shape of the rear of the fender nicely.
I ended up pop riveting on some pieces of plastic to put flush mount turn signals on. I dont know if Acerbis still makes the inner fender stiffener I used but its a minimalist piece also.

Seat Concepts seat should be here today,black/grey suede cover, I like the traction of suede + they make comfy seats.

Who needs a fully set up CA plated DRZe?
__________________
Some bikes around at times
Foot dragger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:39 AM   #3415
Krazyjohnny
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: McKinney, TX
Oddometer: 424
stripped plastic

KMC,

Try gettting a furniture screw insert from Home Depot or Lowes. They will thread in backwards and then you can use a machine screw to hold the under fender in place.

http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/9035...nged-Hex-Drive

That is what I would try first before drilling through the fender.
__________________
President and Founder of
Superhero Proving Grounds
"Where dreams are made and egos are checked"
08' 530 EXCR, 09' Yamaha FZ-6 and dreaming of a new bike
Krazyjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:48 AM   #3416
Foot dragger
singletracker
 
Foot dragger's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: chico,just below rag dump(nor-cal)
Oddometer: 12,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
This is a common problem, you'll need the shock torn down and rebound needle replaced.



This is also pretty common, and probably fixable without any special tools. The rebound adjuster gets "out of range" too deep in the fork and then the adjustment cap no longer adjusts it. Take the top cap off, gently push against the clicker with the rod, while turning it, and you can often get it back on the threads.
Thats a good thing to know about the fork adjuster. What I was Really wondering about was the review of your new 500. I know your a busy man and all,saw your pics in the latest Cycle World riding the big rigs.
Ive heard of fuel pump/fuel line/filter/FI issues with the 2012/13 500's. You must have all that figured out by now.
__________________
Some bikes around at times
Foot dragger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:02 AM   #3417
SirJono_777
Adventurer
 
SirJono_777's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: South Coast NSW, Australia
Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
This is a common problem, you'll need the shock torn down and rebound needle replaced.



This is also pretty common, and probably fixable without any special tools. The rebound adjuster gets "out of range" too deep in the fork and then the adjustment cap no longer adjusts it. Take the top cap off, gently push against the clicker with the rod, while turning it, and you can often get it back on the threads.
Yes also if the fork has been reassembled wrong this can happen. If the fork cap has hit the hydraulic stop before bottoming out on the centre piston rod then the clicker won't engage the adjuster rod and will spin freely.

Take the cap off the fork, unscrew it from the piston rod, wind the hydraulic stop down, then screw the cap back onto the piston rod until it bottoms out and stops. Finally wind the hydraulic stop back up to meet the bottom of the cap, and screw the cap back into the fork outer. This should fix it. Common reassembling issue. I know because I did it to my 525's legs when I changed springs.
__________________
'14 KTM 350 EXC-F
'05 KTM 525 EXC - sold
'97 Suzuki DR350 - sold
'82 Suzuki DR250 - dead
SirJono_777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:04 AM   #3418
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite
 
jesusgatos's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: on the road
Oddometer: 2,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
This is also pretty common, and probably fixable without any special tools. The rebound adjuster gets "out of range" too deep in the fork and then the adjustment cap no longer adjusts it. Take the top cap off, gently push against the clicker with the rod, while turning it, and you can often get it back on the threads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirJono_777 View Post
Yes also if the fork has been reassembled wrong this can happen. If the fork cap has hit the hydraulic stop before bottoming out on the centre piston rod then the clicker won't engage the adjuster rod and will spin freely.

Take the cap off the fork, unscrew it from the piston rod, wind the hydraulic stop down, then screw the cap back onto the piston rod until it bottoms out and stops. Finally wind the hydraulic stop back up to meet the bottom of the cap, and screw the cap back into the fork outer. This should fix it. Common reassembling issue. I know because I did it to my 525's legs when I changed springs.
Thanks guys!
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:04 AM   #3419
neduro OP
Addict
 
neduro's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Oddometer: 11,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Ive heard of fuel pump/fuel line/filter/FI issues with the 2012/13 500's. You must have all that figured out by now.
I don't, I wound up getting rid of the 500 almost immediately after a few issues. I'll try one again once I find a good deal on a 13, hopefully they are a bit more sorted out.

I really liked the chassis, that's for sure!
__________________
Doubletake Mirrors- Folding D/S mirror that is both useful and indestructible.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:11 AM   #3420
Foot dragger
singletracker
 
Foot dragger's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: chico,just below rag dump(nor-cal)
Oddometer: 12,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
I don't, I wound up getting rid of the 500 almost immediately after a few issues. I'll try one again once I find a good deal on a 13, hopefully they are a bit more sorted out.

I really liked the chassis, that's for sure!
Uh Oh,from what Ive read they have barely changed the 13's at all.
Over heating fuel pump/FI mainly? Guys were in a rush to buy the 2011 I bought,they realized it was the last year with a carb.
__________________
Some bikes around at times
Foot dragger is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014