Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2012, 12:30 PM   #3421
Krazyjohnny
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 442
Wife and I have discussed jumping in on a pair of new injected enduros in about a year or so. This is good info to have. She was looking at the 350 EXC and Iwas too just because of how light it is. The 500 is what I would probably end up with.
2013 Ducati Multistrada, 08' 530 EXCR, 09' Yamaha FZ-6
Krazyjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:58 PM   #3422
K0ncept
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Hi Guys! New to the thread, I have owned my 530 since last year and she is finially taking shape.. Here she is currently, but im switch to the big wheel setup for a while to do some other stuff.... I am switching the tank out to a clockwork orange, I currently have the one in the Pic mounted, but I dont like how she wheelies with it lol.... Also strapping on some decent handguards and a GPS via ram mount..

The Bike has been pretty well dialed in, current mods are de-mog with a stock exhaust mod that works pretty well... Suspension dialed for my weight, but im still working with it. Also my local shop took care of most of this work, for a fee of course as all I would do if f it up somehow lol..

Also the shop owner said they figured out the problem with the FI right away, seems they shipped the US units with a 10 micron filter, and of course it clogs up right away causing the FI to act like poo and overheat and run like crap... Once they went to a 20 micron the issue went away...

well here she is, I will post some pics of her transformation back to dirt mode here in the next week or so lol..

and these shots were nabbed after accidently hitting the Dusy Ershim trail and not knowing WTF it was! Big mistake lol.. I know what it is now of course ...
K0ncept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:30 AM   #3423
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,817
Thats a sharp looking bike,really slick looking super-moto wheels. On the stock muffler you just cut out the reducer towards the rear of it? Ive jetted mine but havent done anything with the exhaust yet. What kind of wheels are those?

I think theres more to the FI issues then changing out a filter,530's and most any single cylinder 4 stroke get hot on steep slow climbs,really hot in hot weather. Fuel can boil or nearly so. Fuel pumps dont work like that,carb's do.
Fuel pumps and FI dont have to deal with that in most applications.
If the bike never gets used in tough conditions/real trail riding the problem might never come up.
Once a carb has a good median set up it can work in many altitudes with little to no jet work,especially on big 4 strokes. My 300 will need a little jetting work for wildly different altitudes but its easy to swap jets on it.

Foot dragger screwed with this post 08-07-2012 at 07:41 AM
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:49 PM   #3424
K0ncept
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Thats a sharp looking bike,really slick looking super-moto wheels. On the stock muffler you just cut out the reducer towards the rear of it? Ive jetted mine but havent done anything with the exhaust yet. What kind of wheels are those?

I think theres more to the FI issues then changing out a filter,530's and most any single cylinder 4 stroke get hot on steep slow climbs,really hot in hot weather. Fuel can boil or nearly so. Fuel pumps dont work like that,carb's do.
Fuel pumps and FI dont have to deal with that in most applications.
If the bike never gets used in tough conditions/real trail riding the problem might never come up.
Once a carb has a good median set up it can work in many altitudes with little to no jet work,especially on big 4 strokes. My 300 will need a little jetting work for wildly different altitudes but its easy to swap jets on it.
Yes they cut the choke point out of it and sealed it all back up.... Might be more to the FI, I donno I don't own one.. Your correct my 530 does indeed get hot on slow ass rocky stuff, I dont have a fan, but I have not yet boiled over, but I wish the bike ran a little cooler, others have said get rid of the stock exhaust altogether and the heat will go down, so that next on the list as well.. But im lead handed, and need to learn to back off, but I never doo it no fun.. The wheels in the pic are Marchesini's I waited like 3 months for them to get here, and almost cancelled my order twice.. They weigh next to nothing, and preform like a dream.. They REALLY make the 530 scoot, they dont even weigh 1/2 of what my other set of sumo wheels do lol, so all that loss of rotating mass makes the bike feel super flickable, my only issue is the stock brake on pavement..

To keep running the Sumo setup I will need to upgrade to at least a big 4 or 6 piston setup, and im trying to figure out what will work best for both sumo and dirt, and I dont want to be swaping masters and calipers between the dirt/sumo setup..

So im wondering if a 4 piston w upgraded master would be ok, because I know a 6 would be complete overkill on the dirt, but im currently cooking off the brakes in just minutes at the moment, so I will be looking to upgrade it pretty soon..
Old 08-07-2012, 10:20 PM   #3425
bikepikespeak.com
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 598
I wanted to post up on the thread here to show the new dirt tricks fan. I'm very impressed with the quality of this fan. I run the acerbis 3.4 gal tank and was told they hadn't fit them to this tank yet so wasn't sure if the switch would be accessible. Well it is and it's absolutely perfect. Perhaps some Good info for you fellow 530 owners to know. Here's a couple pictures

bikepikespeak.com screwed with this post 08-07-2012 at 10:52 PM
bikepikespeak.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:38 AM   #3426
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by K0ncept View Post
To keep running the Sumo setup I will need to upgrade to at least a big 4 or 6 piston setup, and im trying to figure out what will work best for both sumo and dirt, and I dont want to be swaping masters and calipers between the dirt/sumo setup..

So im wondering if a 4 piston w upgraded master would be ok, because I know a 6 would be complete overkill on the dirt, but im currently cooking off the brakes in just minutes at the moment, so I will be looking to upgrade it pretty soon..

That's a very bad idea for a dirt ridden bike that light, and it won't be easy to fit anyway. The front wheel will lock up very easily, the caliper won't clear the spokes on 21" properly and the large disc will hit stuff much more easily.

Instead get a complete second 4/6 piston brake setup with a matching master cylinder and brake line, then you can swap it over in 2 minutes along with your wheels with 4 bolts without having to bleed anything.

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:59 AM   #3427
K0ncept
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
That's a very bad idea for a dirt ridden bike that light, and it won't be easy to fit anyway. The front wheel will lock up very easily, the caliper won't clear the spokes on 21" properly and the large disc will hit stuff much more easily.

Instead get a complete second 4/6 piston brake setup with a matching master cylinder and brake line, then you can swap it over in 2 minutes along with your wheels with 4 bolts without having to bleed anything.
Thats a much better idea imo.. I do have upgraded brakes on my 450, but NOT a 6 piston, and like you said i dont want to be smashing rotors either...

a complete seperate setup would be the way to go...
Old 08-08-2012, 08:07 AM   #3428
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Yes they cut the choke point out of it and sealed it all back up.... Might be more to the FI, I donno I don't own one.. Your correct my 530 does indeed get hot on slow ass rocky stuff, I dont have a fan, but I have not yet boiled over, but I wish the bike ran a little cooler, others have said get rid of the stock exhaust altogether and the heat will go down, so that next on the list as well.. But im lead handed, and need to learn to back off, but I never doo it no fun.. The wheels in the pic are Marchesini's I waited like 3 months for them to get here, and almost cancelled my order twice.. They weigh next to nothing, and preform like a dream.. They REALLY make the 530 scoot, they dont even weigh 1/2 of what my other set of sumo wheels do lol, so all that loss of rotating mass makes the bike feel super flickable, my only issue is the stock brake on pavement..

On one of my bikes I just put a bigger disc conversion on it,along with the best pads I could get,then run the best high temp brake fluid Motul has.It works well.
Its odd but just having the smaller 19" or 17" ft wheel the brakes work better as they have more of a mechanical advantage over the smaller diameter.
It seems like you would have to be riding it on the track to "cook" the brakes that quick,usually some cool off time on the street between corners.
My 530 will only spend enough time on the street to get from one dirt spot to another.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:10 AM   #3429
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikepikespeak.com View Post
I wanted to post up on the thread here to show the new dirt tricks fan. I'm very impressed with the quality of this fan. I run the acerbis 3.4 gal tank and was told they hadn't fit them to this tank yet so wasn't sure if the switch would be accessible. Well it is and it's absolutely perfect. Perhaps some Good info for you fellow 530 owners to know. Here's a couple pictures
I like that fan,it draws a little more power then stock or? I wonder how much thicker it is then the stocker?
Hmmmm.........
Old 08-08-2012, 04:17 PM   #3430
bikepikespeak.com
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 598
Quote:
I like that fan,it draws a little more power then stock or? I wonder how much thicker it is then the stocker?
Hmmmm.........
Not sure which you refer to when you say stock? They didn't ever come with one stock as far as I know. Take a look at the info on their website...says they draw very little power. http://dirttricks.com/new_page_1.htm
They're pretty dang thin too! Fits perfect for me.
bikepikespeak.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:59 PM   #3431
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikepikespeak.com View Post
Not sure which you refer to when you say stock? They didn't ever come with one stock as far as I know. Take a look at the info on their website...says they draw very little power. http://dirttricks.com/new_page_1.htm
They're pretty dang thin too! Fits perfect for me.
Your right,I was thinking of the KTM add on fan,the dirttricks fan looks good,I wonder if anybody knows how many watts the KTM fan draws?

8 watts isnt much for the DTricks fan.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:39 PM   #3432
K0ncept
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
On one of my bikes I just put a bigger disc conversion on it,along with the best pads I could get,then run the best high temp brake fluid Motul has.It works well.
Its odd but just having the smaller 19" or 17" ft wheel the brakes work better as they have more of a mechanical advantage over the smaller diameter.
It seems like you would have to be riding it on the track to "cook" the brakes that quick,usually some cool off time on the street between corners.
My 530 will only spend enough time on the street to get from one dirt spot to another.
I do, I live 20 minutes from my favorite twisty mountain road, and on the way up, it's not bad at all as I wont require much brake, but on the way down it's much different.. I actually overheated them on the way up too as I recall... I do alot of trackdays as well, the stock brakes are great for dirt, but they just dont have the power needed to stop the 530 when she in hauling the mail...

This setup here would probably be perfect for some trackdays and sumo full time...
http://www.motostrano.com/Moto-Maste...it-mm-race.htm

or could go with a 6 piston and practice stoppies all day.

Here is the road im talking about its toward the end of the video im the guy on the Blue R1

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...86348944&hl=en
Old 08-08-2012, 07:12 PM   #3433
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,513
Even with a 320mm rotor and relo bracket the stock caliper will overheat in short order. Better but not the real solution.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:12 AM   #3434
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,379
Quote:
Your right,I was thinking of the KTM add on fan,the dirttricks fan looks good,I wonder if anybody knows how many watts the KTM fan draws?

8 watts isnt much for the DTricks fan.
The KTM fan draws about 35 Watts.

Quote:
I do, I live 20 minutes from my favorite twisty mountain road, and on the way up, it's not bad at all as I wont require much brake, but on the way down it's much different.. I actually overheated them on the way up too as I recall... I do alot of trackdays as well, the stock brakes are great for dirt, but they just dont have the power needed to stop the 530 when she in hauling the mail...

This setup here would probably be perfect for some trackdays and sumo full time...
http://www.motostrano.com/Moto-Maste...it-mm-race.htm

or could go with a 6 piston and practice stoppies all day.

Here is the road im talking about its toward the end of the video im the guy on the Blue R1

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...86348944&hl=en

Motomaster is good, Beringer 4/6 P are both good, Magura radial (with QTM axial to radial adapter bracket) is good, FTE radial is shit, stock 2 P Brembo is shit, even with a 320mm bracket (and it only allows you to use a 4mm thick disc). I wouldn't advise those last 2 ones to anybody who doesn't ride like a grandma, at least not if it's up and down and not only flat riding.

The Beringer cast iron rotors are awesome as they never overheat and wear your pads much less with their solid surface. Unfortunately they are very expensive and the center is made out of soft aluminum so it get's worn pretty quickly at the floaters and then needs a rebuild kit. You won't wear out a friction ring though!

The Braking Wave sold through KTM Hard Parts and the Motomaster Flame are a good alternative.

Just make sure that you get the right disc for your caliper, there are both 310 and 320mm variations.

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:11 AM   #3435
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
The KTM fan draws about 35 Watts.

Motomaster is good, Beringer 4/6 P are both good, Magura radial (with QTM axial to radial adapter bracket) is good, FTE radial is shit, stock 2 P Brembo is shit, even with a 320mm bracket (and it only allows you to use a 4mm thick disc). I wouldn't advise those last 2 ones to anybody who doesn't ride like a grandma, at least not if it's up and down and not only flat riding.

The Beringer cast iron rotors are awesome as they never overheat and wear your pads much less with their solid surface. Unfortunately they are very expensive and the center is made out of soft aluminum so it get's worn pretty quickly at the floaters and then needs a rebuild kit. You won't wear out a friction ring though!

The Braking Wave sold through KTM Hard Parts and the Motomaster Flame are a good alternative.

Just make sure that you get the right disc for your caliper, there are both 310 and 320mm variations.
Thanks LukasM, I ordered one of those fans. Im not much of an electrical genius,I wonder how one fan can draw 8 watts,while one that looks pretty similar draws 35 watts? Dirttricks claims their fan can run the whole time the bike is running with out drawing the battery down.
That sounds good to me,I would rather not change out stators as stock is often the best.
We shall see.