Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2012, 02:51 PM   #3466
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1 View Post
I'm working on something with ( http://www.globetrottin.com/products.html ) that might be pretty awesome and exactly what you're talking about. There will need to be changes to the electrical system (the addition of a Tympanium rectifier and adding a jumper wire to the circuit to convert the entire bike to DC) that aren't hard or very expensive.

It'll be another 2 weeks or so before I have an answer though. Stay tuned.
Gents, (and I say that with a huge smirk) I'm going to have to wait a little bit on this headlight mod. Unfortunately, I went into the "outback" this weekend, and it became quite clear that my priority is on getting a GPS setup so I can get out BEFORE it gets dark....or I die out of gas somewhere...

I'll post up what I do when I do it, but it's going to be a bit. In the meantime if you don't want to wait, I suggest you contact globetrottin to get the light setup, get a rectifier and have at it.

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:03 PM   #3467
Brett943
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Hey guys first post but I've been lurking for quite some time now. It seems there is tons of knowledge here that I lack so here is my question. I have a 2010 530exc with approx 78hrs and 3500kms. 2 days ago I noticed oil on the countershaft sprocket and it appeared to come out from behind the bolt and the washer behind it. i went ahead and replaced the countershaft seal and today when i test rode it oil was still seeping past at the bolt and washer although way less than before. Should i have replaced anything else along with the seal? What's going on? Thanks in advance for any insight.
Brett943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:05 PM   #3468
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett943 View Post
Hey guys first post but I've been lurking for quite some time now. It seems there is tons of knowledge here that I lack so here is my question. I have a 2010 530exc with approx 78hrs and 3500kms. 2 days ago I noticed oil on the countershaft sprocket and it appeared to come out from behind the bolt and the washer behind it. i went ahead and replaced the countershaft seal and today when i test rode it oil was still seeping past at the bolt and washer although way less than before. Should i have replaced anything else along with the seal? What's going on? Thanks in advance for any insight.
There is a O ring behind the sprocket and spacer. Replace that + the washer and bolt to be sure it gets proper pressure on it. The seals rarely go bad in my experience, didn't hurt to change it though.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:14 PM   #3469
Brett943
Adventurer

Thank you very much for the quick response and recommendation Navin, I'll be sure to do that and report back.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:30 AM   #3470
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,335
After 78 hours this shouldn't yet be the case, but the leak can also be caused by the bushing that sits on the shaft, the seal wears a grove into it after a while. Worth checking while you are in there.

If you don't want to wait for a new bolt + washer, wire brush all the threadlocker off your old one, reapply some medium strength, and re-cup the washer with two different sized sockets in a vise before you install it, will be good as new.

I usually don't bother because the bolts + washers are cheap and I always have a couple of spares lying around, but it's something you can do in a pinch.
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:44 PM   #3471
Brett943
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
After 78 hours this shouldn't yet be the case, but the leak can also be caused by the bushing that sits on the shaft, the seal wears a grove into it after a while. Worth checking while you are in there.

If you don't want to wait for a new bolt + washer, wire brush all the threadlocker off your old one, reapply some medium strength, and re-cup the washer with two different sized sockets in a vise before you install it, will be good as new.

I usually don't bother because the bolts + washers are cheap and I always have a couple of spares lying around, but it's something you can do in a pinch.

Thanks Lukas, tonight I installed the new o-ring, bolt and washer and it appears to have solved my problems. I did notice the beginning of a groove on that bushing so will keep an eye on it and if it decides to leak again I will replace that. I dont feel like pulling it apart again tmrw to drop that in if the leak seems to have stopped. Next time I'll ask here before assuming what my problem is to save time and frustration. Thanks again to you and Navin for helping me out
Old 08-22-2012, 08:15 PM   #3472
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post

Hah! I like the idea of the two sockets to re-cup the washer,great idea for those clutch moments.
Ive just done the first oil change on my 530 (since Ive owned it anyway) and Im heading out for a 400 mile dualsport ride a friend is putting on in nor cal,its a fri/sat/sunday thing.

Ive also put a slick looking Seat Concepts seat kit on the bike,black/grey suede and leather,turned out pretty neat.
I dont have a smugmug account but could send a pic of the seat to someone if they want to post it.

Ned must be off on a adventure?
Old 08-25-2012, 03:50 PM   #3473
Krazyjohnny
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 437
Chain

Replaced front CS sprocket to a 13 tooth. I really like it and need to replace chain and rear now. Has anyone used the DID VX chain? I was looking at picking one up in the 520 by 120 link size.
08' 530 EXCR, 09' Yamaha FZ-6 and dreaming of a new bike
Krazyjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:31 AM   #3474
Krazyjohnny
Gnarly Adventurer

Chain

Went ahead and ordered the Ironman rear in a 50 tooth and the Regina Z ring to match from Dirt Tricks for my upcoming jaunt back and forth across Arkansas. Evidently with the 13 tooth Renthal CS up front this should be "the shizzle".
Old 08-27-2012, 08:26 PM   #3475
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazyjohnny View Post
Went ahead and ordered the Ironman rear in a 50 tooth and the Regina Z ring to match from Dirt Tricks for my upcoming jaunt back and forth across Arkansas. Evidently with the 13 tooth Renthal CS up front this should be "the shizzle".
Ive got 14/50 gearing on my 530. Im pretty sure it will hit 100 with this gearing.
Low is too low for tight singletrack,2nd is too high. 2nd will probably do over 30 mph with out much trouble.
These bikes have a nice wide spread of gears.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:06 AM   #3476
Krazyjohnny
Gnarly Adventurer

My current gearing is 13/48 and it is good, but being able to "blip" up over some things is really nice especially on a bike that has the low end these have. I am not doing 100 on knobbies.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:31 AM   #3477
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
My current gearing is 13/48 and it is good, but being able to "blip" up over some things is really nice especially on a bike that has the low end these have. I am not doing 100 on knobbies.
In my usual " safety third" mode I ran the 530 down hiway 162 (local sportbike road) at a decent pace and the bike just starts pulling nice at 70 and keeps pulling,amazingly smooth for a dirt bike. It still has DOT tires so even though they're knobbies they should hang together just fine. We were coming back from an Ironman Dualsport event.
400 miles all over the mountains and through the woods,great fun!
Old 08-29-2012, 12:21 PM   #3478
Krazyjohnny
Gnarly Adventurer

Anyone else think 13/50 will be a problem over the road at 70 mph? I actually did the math and see that I am currently at a 3.69:1 running 13 and 48. I will be at 3.85:1 running the 13 and 50.

The 14 and 50 gets me to 3.57:1
The stock 14 and 48 is 3.42:1
15 and 48 is 3.2:1 and is way to flat
Old 08-29-2012, 12:37 PM   #3479
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,336
Running 15/45 (3) with a 17" rear wheel and it's pretty flat on the bottom, but it'll cruise along happily at 80mph all day long. Still pulls surprisingly hard on the topend, especially for a little 450. All depends on what kind of riding you're going to be doing, and I've just been doing is burning-up the highways lately, so that gearing suits me perfectly. Also works out to be really convenient when I switch back to dirt wheels and 14/48 gearing. All I have to do is flip the axle-blocks around and the chain tension is just about perfect.
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:02 PM   #3480
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,670
Quote:
Anyone else think 13/50 will be a problem over the road at 70 mph?
I started with 13:50 and thought it was getting a bit wound up @60mph....I'm quite happy with 14:50....I keep the 13 in my pack though.....
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is online now   Reply With Quote