Shit; I haven't even ridden it yet.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:22 AM   #3498
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
I doubt it'll really make a difference and you just increased unsprung weight too. Not that you'll feel it but how many extra rides do you think it'll be before it is shagged anyway? I run cheapo steel Rockymountainatv stuff with their best home brand chain. I can't see a tooth up front making a days ride difference, it'll be shagged when it is shagged!

As to the clutch, sounds like a notched basket but you say the bike is new, right? Have you adjusted the lever? Try a good bleed too as advised above.

I run a Magura 9.0 and mineral oil with a Midwest Engineering lever and the combo blows the stock Brembo away. The downside is the engagement zone is longer so the lever needs to come near the bar so 2 fingers on a one finger effort lever are needed to get it that close. The upside besides super easy lever pull? The engagement zone is longer so it is easier to maintain traction and get the slip just right. I may trim the lever down to a single finger size if I can't adjust to it. I had to remind myself to use both fingers today, it'll probably be natural soon.
Like I said,I have had many KTM's with a hydraulic clutch,Im aware of lever adjustment and clutch bleeding.I doubt the basket came notched from the factory.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:24 AM   #3499
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
I bet you like it,they turn nice and run smooth,the suspension on mine feels smooth and cushy right out of the box,for my 180 lbs it works pretty slick!
Old 09-02-2012, 10:07 AM   #3500
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,469
Rode the 530 to work. Literally just around town and then to the shop. First impression: whoa! More power than the 525; mellower on bottom end, the mid range and top end just rips! Third gear roll on wheelies are much easier on the 530, even with the rally moto kit on.

Ergonomics are weird for me right now; need to adjust the bars a bit. Hopefully rolling them forward does the trick. They are lower than I'm used to; maybe bar risers.

Also need to balance the wheels; I balanced my 525 wheels and it's smoother on the highway.

Can't wait to ride it more! :sigh

printprintprintprintprintprintprint...

Old 09-02-2012, 01:20 PM   #3501
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,332
Quote:
I doubt it'll really make a difference and you just increased unsprung weight too. Not that you'll feel it but how many extra rides do you think it'll be before it is shagged anyway? I run cheapo steel Rockymountainatv stuff with their best home brand chain. I can't see a tooth up front making a days ride difference, it'll be shagged when it is shagged!
You might be surprised what a difference one tooth +- on a front sprocket can make. Gotta think about it as being one tooth out of how many? 13/14/15? Percentage-wise, that's huge and it can have a dramatic affect of sprocket/chain/slider life. On the downside, as the rear sprocket gets bigger, it's more vulnerable, and there's a little more rotational mass.
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 02:32 PM   #3502
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos View Post
You might be surprised what a difference one tooth +- on a front sprocket can make. Gotta think about it as being one tooth out of how many? 13/14/15? Percentage-wise, that's huge and it can have a dramatic affect of sprocket/chain/slider life. On the downside, as the rear sprocket gets bigger, it's more vulnerable, and there's a little more rotational mass.

IDK, I've spoken about this with a very knowedgable chain/sprocket supplier and asked about the old odd/even teeth theory and chain life. He said it was all nonsense. I've had 16/48s wear out just as fast as 13/50 between different bikes. Bottom line seems to be how much mud and sand it'll see, same as brake pads. My off road chains and sprockets die a relativly quick death when they start to go, regardless if on my 530 and 13-14/48-51 or 15/16-45/47/48/49/50 on my 950.

On my street only bike I've had 15, 16 and 17t sprockets. Life seems the same, withing 500-100 miles at most. Probably has more to do with how often I adjusted and cleaned them than front tooth count IMO.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:12 PM   #3503
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,888
Quote:
Sooner or later I'll be hear as well, but whenever I ride or ride with a 530, I realize how much I like my current bike. Almost exactly the same power, but produced in a more linear fashion. In my experience, the 525 comes on harder at the bottom, but the 530 takes the win on top. I keep looking at classifieds, and the lust is huge. Hosakafuy's (iphone autocorrect, and im keeping it) bike would have been a gooder.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:32 PM   #3504
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
IDK, I've spoken about this with a very knowedgable chain/sprocket supplier and asked about the old odd/even teeth theory and chain life. He said it was all nonsense. I've had 16/48s wear out just as fast as 13/50 between different bikes. Bottom line seems to be how much mud and sand it'll see, same as brake pads. My off road chains and sprockets die a relativly quick death when they start to go, regardless if on my 530 and 13-14/48-51 or 15/16-45/47/48/49/50 on my 950.

On my street only bike I've had 15, 16 and 17t sprockets. Life seems the same, withing 500-100 miles at most. Probably has more to do with how often I adjusted and cleaned them than front tooth count IMO.
The front sprocket pulls on the chain,its pretty small already,its pulling the weight of you and the bike putting 50 hp through the few teeth it has.
Having less of those teeth means its yanking harder per tooth and bending the chain in a smaller circle at high speed.
Sprocket wears quicker,chain wears quicker,its physics but by no means do you have to believe it.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:44 PM   #3505
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,917
Yanking harder per tooth?

I need to read the science on that one as I've heard it explained far differently!

Yes it has a SLIGHTLY smaller diameter but really, how much farther is the link in the chain really moving and why would that alone cause dramaticly more wear? Dirt between the teeth and chain is the enemy. I can only speak from the many chain/sprocket sets I install, no difference to me is apparant from different diameter CS sprockets.

I can't see how even keeping miles ridden would matter as a single nasty mud ride would certainally do more damage to slant the figures to either end.

Agree to disagree.

Navin screwed with this post 09-02-2012 at 07:33 PM
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:45 PM   #3506
header
Chris

Oddometer: 1,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rod View Post
Sooner or later I'll be hear as well, but whenever I ride or ride with a 530, I realize how much I like my current bike. Almost exactly the same power, but produced in a more linear fashion. In my experience, the 525 comes on harder at the bottom, but the 530 takes the win on top. I keep looking at classifieds, and the lust is huge. Hosakafuy's (iphone autocorrect, and im keeping it) bike would have been a gooder.
After coming off an XRR to a 525 and then to my current 530 I have to say the power is the last thing I care about now that the "new" has worn off. My average speed has only slightly improved since owning the XRR, i'll admit my technical abilities have risen a lot but the bottom line is the bike didn't make me any faster. Until the 530 the upgrade from an older bike was always little things, hydraulic clutch or the electric start which are worth while items but now I see a new bike with a completely different appeal.

My 530 had 60 hours on it when I got it while the 525 had something like 300. I was always working on the 525, it ran great and still does but the 530 doesn't have any of the little things like siezed bolts, worn electrical wires and cables, or constantly leaking fork seals (brake side). Its also the first bike i've felt a noticeable difference with the suspension. I may not be faster but I don't use nearly the energy I used to.

The bottom line to me is if you have a great (low hour) bike that isn't worn out i'd put money into suspension and tires long before buying a new bike. The cost difference just isn't there for a rider of my caliber. When i'm done with this bike i'll look for a newer 530 and swap over my personal parts then put money in the suspension. That doesn't have the fun of getting a different bike but i'd rather have a great working bike than trying to setup another bike to do the same thing.

KTM 530exc
525exc refresh
header is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:06 PM   #3507
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rod View Post
That's how it feels to me; the 525 feels stronger on bottom, just thumping along. The mid and top on the 530 is better; My bike is set up with the Rally Moto Kit, and for open country/rally style stuff I think that stronger top end is going to be nice. I still didn't ride it much- brought it home after work and made some adjustments to the bars. Hopefully it will feel more natural now. Headed out for a few days of riding on Tuesday, so that will be the first real ride.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:26 PM   #3508
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by header View Post
After coming off an XRR to a 525 and then to my current 530 I have to say the power is the last thing I care about now that the "new" has worn off. My average speed has only slightly improved since owning the XRR, i'll admit my technical abilities have risen a lot but the bottom line is the bike didn't make me any faster. Until the 530 the upgrade from an older bike was always little things, hydraulic clutch or the electric start which are worth while items but now I see a new bike with a completely different appeal.

My 530 had 60 hours on it when I got it while the 525 had something like 300. I was always working on the 525, it ran great and still does but the 530 doesn't have any of the little things like siezed bolts, worn electrical wires and cables, or constantly leaking fork seals (brake side). Its also the first bike i've felt a noticeable difference with the suspension. I may not be faster but I don't use nearly the energy I used to.

The bottom line to me is if you have a great (low hour) bike that isn't worn out i'd put money into suspension and tires long before buying a new bike. The cost difference just isn't there for a rider of my caliber. When i'm done with this bike i'll look for a newer 530 and swap over my personal parts then put money in the suspension. That doesn't have the fun of getting a different bike but i'd rather have a great working bike than trying to setup another bike to do the same thing.

I agree,Ive been riding an older tricked out DRZe 400 and convincing myself it was OK,I rode it alot,tried to make it work better alot........Ive had a bunch of KTM's and finally just picked up the 530. Its amazing how much less work it is to hustle the 530 along,and how much easier it is on my body. The suspension on the 2011 is better then any KTM Ive had by a ways,smooth,doesnt bottom easily,very controlled. Just a matter of fiddling it to personal taste a little. It has 45 hours on it after the last weekend,hopefully many more rides to come.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:39 AM   #3509
header
Chris

Oddometer: 1,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
I agree,Ive been riding an older tricked out DRZe 400 and convincing myself it was OK,I rode it alot,tried to make it work better alot........Ive had a bunch of KTM's and finally just picked up the 530. Its amazing how much less work it is to hustle the 530 along,and how much easier it is on my body. The suspension on the 2011 is better then any KTM Ive had by a ways,smooth,doesnt bottom easily,very controlled. Just a matter of fiddling it to personal taste a little. It has 45 hours on it after the last weekend,hopefully many more rides to come.
Wait until you ride on revalved suspension

At the end of the day its the bike that runs and rides how you want it that you'll enjoy. That and good sharp tires!

KTM 530exc
525exc refresh
header is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:09 AM   #3510
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 6,909
Quote:
w00t! I just joined the 530 ranks!

Nice!

So the real question is what is CV gonna get and what is he gonna build?