Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2012, 01:52 PM   #3646
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,502
A quick question from a 530 newbie: will the HT cooler fit with a 6.3 Acerbis tank?

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:06 PM   #3647
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
A quick question from a 530 newbie: will the HT cooler fit with a 6.3 Acerbis tank?

This is from the 3 x KTM go east thread. They had it on their 400s. . . . so it should. The last guy in this thread has it on his 450 as well.

Old 11-04-2012, 03:24 PM   #3648
Gehrcke
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deseret Rider View Post
I can't get the Dirt Tricks Timing chain tensioner to slide fully into the engine housing and I am thinking that the 'ridge' on the tensioner is holding me out. The OEM does not have this ridge. I am sure the piston is fully retracted and is not extended. .
I have a very early '08 530 EXCR and I understood that I did not have to take off the head cover and 'slack' the chain before installation?
What am I doing wrong?
Mine went right in on my '10. No need to pull head or anything. So it'll only go halfway in to the ridge?
Gehrcke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:57 PM   #3649
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboyxl View Post
so I'm back from my first ride
what can I say... unfreakingbelievable!!!!
it's like riding the mountain bike with endless power
I dropped the EXC endless time today in any kind of terrain and conditions and it just continued to work (even on asphalt)
need to make some adjustments to ride more confident: suspension, handlebar height, change tires on Metzeler 6 days extreme
need to fix next: bent handlebars and subframe
here is one of clips, the funnies one from today

Just wondering,why in hell does that bike fly so far and loop so hard? Looks like kinda level ground and it just skyshots and slams down crash bang! Bomb went off under the bike?
Old 11-04-2012, 09:14 PM   #3650
Nijntje
The Riding Dutchman

Oddometer: 28
Have to say the advice and tips on this thread have been top notch. My '08 is ready for many more hard miles to come. WEC KTM 530 Front
Nijntje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:46 PM   #3651
Deseret Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Mine went right in on my '10. No need to pull head or anything. So it'll only go halfway in to the ridge?"

I didn't measure exactly but leaves maybe 5/8 inch or so sticking out of the housing I'll get ahold of Dirt Tricks tomorrow and see what they say. thanks!
Deseret Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:42 AM   #3652
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
HT Cooler's website (or the Blais Racing one LINK) says that it won't fit with "Does not fit with New Style 3.2 gallon IMS tank that is slim and really long on the left side. Also does not fit with Acerbis 4 gallon Safari Tank."I'm also pretty damn sure it won't fit with the Clockworks tank, but don't quote me on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deseret Rider View Post
I can't get the Dirt Tricks Timing chain tensioner to slide fully into the engine housing and I am thinking that the 'ridge' on the tensioner is holding me out. The OEM does not have this ridge. I am sure the piston is fully retracted and is not extended. .
I have a very early '08 530 EXCR and I understood that I did not have to take off the head cover and 'slack' the chain before installation?
What am I doing wrong?
Fwiw, the DT installed easily on my '08 450. I don't remember slacking the chain, but then again, I did it at the same time as I upgraded the cam so the chain probably already had some slack.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:06 PM   #3653
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nijntje View Post
Have to say the advice and tips on this thread have been top notch. My '08 is ready for many more hard miles to come. WEC KTM 530 Front
Yah man....Neduro is a freaking great guy to post up so much info! I had my bike home for about 45 minutes and it was basically the motor and frame sitting on a millcrate!

I went through the whole bike, desmogged her, jetted it, balanced the wheels, put on better suspension, big tank, changed the gearing, etc....all based of his build (with some tips gained from a few other guys too! ) and seriously, from day ONE, mine has just been a beast of a ride...I absolutely love it. I do need to get into better shape so I can really take weekends with it though!

Ned, I said it before, but you rock man! Thanks again!

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:18 AM   #3654
Country Doc
Wanderer

Oddometer: 2,647
The HT cooler fits fine with the clockwork tank (Flanny has one on his bike).

Quick question for y'all here - I am finally replacing my handlebars due to a slight tweak after a summer get-off. I ordered the factory KTM bars as I was happy with the bend, but I received a set that does not have the drillings for the ignition switch/blinker switch on the right.

What is the best solution here? Just clip off the plastic knob on the ignition switch and put it back on (it would "spin" more, maybe not a bad thing)? Electrical tape underneath for more grip? Drill the new handlebar? (yech).

thanks
dc
Country Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:23 AM   #3655
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,334
Just shave off the knob IMO. You can easily tighten any switches enough so they won't spin from normal use, and in case of a crash they are then more likely to move out of the way instead of breaking.

I've even put teflon tape under my perches before to help with the that. Now I have HDB guards and it's not needed any more.
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:45 AM   #3656
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,321
I use the Flexx bars, so I just shaved the nubbin off. No issues.

I'll have to look for pictures of Flanny's bike. It looks, to me, like the HT cooler would hit the petcock.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:55 AM   #3657
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
Just shave off the knob IMO.
+1

And realized I hadn't posted a recent update on my Dakar 450 motor...

At about 125 hours, it suddenly started consuming oil. Sure enough, I lifted the valve inspection cover, shined in with a flashlight while turning the motor over, and could see an intake valve guide seal going up and down.

My mechanic had a sneaky solution- we locked the motor at TDC, installed a compression tester and turned on the compressor, and then took off the valve spring retainer/ spring, replaced the guide seal, and reinstalled, all using air to hold the valve up. Worked like a charm- about a 10 minute job.

Back to consuming no oil. Leakdown was around 7%, which isn't bad for how that motor has been used! We did have to go 1 size thinner on both intake shims, first valve adjustment after half the Dakar, and a whole bunch of absolute flogging that has no internationally recognized name.

I'm so impressed with durability on those motors.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:31 AM   #3658
empedrado
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
Switch rotation

If you have trouble with spinning -- like all the sicass ones I have ever had do. What works great is to cut a strip off a adhesive backed sanding disk and install that under the switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Doc View Post
The HT cooler fits fine with the clockwork tank (Flanny has one on his bike).

Quick question for y'all here - I am finally replacing my handlebars due to a slight tweak after a summer get-off. I ordered the factory KTM bars as I was happy with the bend, but I received a set that does not have the drillings for the ignition switch/blinker switch on the right.

What is the best solution here? Just clip off the plastic knob on the ignition switch and put it back on (it would "spin" more, maybe not a bad thing)? Electrical tape underneath for more grip? Drill the new handlebar? (yech).

thanks
dc
empedrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:35 AM   #3659
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
+1

And realized I hadn't posted a recent update on my Dakar 450 motor...

At about 125 hours, it suddenly started consuming oil. Sure enough, I lifted the valve inspection cover, shined in with a flashlight while turning the motor over, and could see an intake valve guide seal going up and down.

My mechanic had a sneaky solution- we locked the motor at TDC, installed a compression tester and turned on the compressor, and then took off the valve spring retainer/ spring, replaced the guide seal, and reinstalled, all using air to hold the valve up. Worked like a charm- about a 10 minute job.

Back to consuming no oil. Leakdown was around 7%, which isn't bad for how that motor has been used! We did have to go 1 size thinner on both intake shims, first valve adjustment after half the Dakar, and a whole bunch of absolute flogging that has no internationally recognized name.

I'm so impressed with durability on those motors.
Thats what I like to hear,some guys are finding these engines run and run like an old XR,except faster and smoother of course.
You have a oil reservoir on that 450?
__________________________________________________ ____________________________________________

We were out on a ride the other day,thrashing around in the woods,there were two Honda dealers along on the ride,after some bullshitting for a while,one of the guys (smartass) asked........So Honda is still making bikes?

It got a laugh,almost all orange bikes on these rides,only Hondas are oldies or MX'ers.

I guess the numbers just arent there for Honda to mess with it anymore.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:16 AM   #3660
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,075
Didn't someone just bring up the oil pump gears?

I managed to cut the parts list a bit to about $28 for the gears, one o-ring, the gasket and the e clips. I'm leaving the shaft and not even opening the far side scavenger pump. I could have skipped the big cover gasket and the E clips too so no reason top avoid this job if you are a lil tight on $. My O ring was smaller for sure, though I have not had the oil transfer this should just be further bullet proofing. 09 530EXC.

Thanks to Hodakaguy for writing up the guide on this.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote