Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 10:31 AM   #3796
antpatterson
XR650L_High_Runner

Oddometer: 378
So my bike does not have the manual cam chain adjuster and have not heard a loud noise from videos I've seen of people who needed to replace but when I'm giving my bike gas I notice a slight different noise but have heard others who made the same noise, normal?

Here's a video of my bike idling, I'll have to make another of riding it.
XR80r
2008 XCRW450
antpatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:07 AM   #3797
Krazyjohnny
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 435
Do you have a dirtricks Cam chain tensioner in it? Maybe check out one of those. Maybe someone else will chime in too.
08' 530 EXCR, 09' Yamaha FZ-6 and dreaming of a new bike
Krazyjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:19 PM   #3798
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by antpatterson View Post
So my bike does not have the manual cam chain adjuster and have not heard a loud noise from videos I've seen of people who needed to replace but when I'm giving my bike gas I notice a slight different noise but have heard others who made the same noise, normal?

Here's a video of my bike idling, I'll have to make another of riding it.
That sounds awful! Get the Dirt tricks tensioner. I've installed two on different bikes, and it night and day.

I've posted these before, but here is a before and after the Dirt Tricks tensioner. This bike is far worse than the 530 that was the latest, and while it sounded pretty bad before replacing the part, it was no where near as bad as the Husaberg in the videos.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:52 PM   #3799
antpatterson
XR650L_High_Runner

Appreciate the help, guess I'll be ordering the Dirt Tricks sooner than I expected. A friend who is a very good mechanic has experience with mainly the big four, he told me KTM's he always heard all had some weird noise but I figured this noise wasn't "normal" for KTM's. How do I know how many clicks for the Dirt Tricks?
XR80r
2008 XCRW450
Old 01-10-2013, 03:11 PM   #3800
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,890
Quote:
How do I know how many clicks for the Dirt Tricks?
You install it collapsed, and it adjusts itself once the engine is fired up, never to be thought about again. It shouldn't take more than 5-10 minutes to install.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:42 PM   #3801
VOLdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarBeyondDriven View Post
Hey guys.

This is just shouting out to all the owners of these bikes out there.

I am in for a new bike this summer, getting rid of my CBR 600 and going to dirt again.

Just wondering how these compare in terms of use with the Husqavarna 510 or the DRZ 400. I also am located in Canada so would KTM be easier to get parts for? I also want something that I am going to have for years. Probably not get rid of for a long time.

Anyways thanks for any of the input. I think I am in the right thread if not sorry!
I have a like new 3252 miles 2011 530 with $4000 invested in goodies that is a ROCKETSHIP with your name allover it !
VOLdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:44 AM   #3802
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,771
DRZ400? Truly a station wagon of the dirt,heavy yet slow and ponderous on trails.Money pit when you try and make em go better

530KTM? Fast smooth great handling dirtbike with a plate,needs nothing to go way faster then most people need.

Husky510? Not as common or well supported by the aftermarket,KTM has been at this dualsport/dirtbike thing for quite a while now.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:21 PM   #3803
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,321
Today, in honor of the Dakar rest-day, I did some work on my 450. First, I've had oil blowing out the vent on the transmission side. After ruling everything else out, I came to suspect the kick start idler gear. Sure enough:

The old one:

You can see that the inner bushing has shifited, blocking the oil passages.

Here's the new one:

Then, using Ned's write up in this very thread, I replaced the head gasket due a suspicion that was what was causing my coolant to spew out, even when the engine was not over-heating. Here's what the inside of the head looked like:

And the valves:

Some weird crystalization there, especially right near the spark plug hole. Not sure what to make of that.

Thoughts?
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:48 PM   #3804
Foot dragger
singletracker

If compression was leaking past the head gasket and pressurizing the cooling system,then it would have carbon particles and compression by products in the water/anti-freeze? Just thinkin

A 300 I had did that once and there were black spots floating in the radiators.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:58 PM   #3805
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
If compression was leaking past the head gasket and pressurizing the cooling system,then it would have carbon particles and compression by products in the water/anti-freeze? Just thinkin

A 300 I had did that once and there were black spots floating in the radiators.
That's pretty much what I was figuring. The bike has definitely been showings signs that the cooling system is pressurized. Hope this cures it.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
Old 01-15-2013, 03:15 PM   #3806
Deseret Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Hodaka Guy?

Are you back riding bikes again----Last I saw you had your bike up for sale---thought you were going to dune buggies or something? ANyway It's good to see you posting again----We appreciate your sharing your knowledge and experience.
Deseret Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:47 PM   #3807
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deseret Rider View Post
Are you back riding bikes again----Last I saw you had your bike up for sale---thought you were going to dune buggies or something? ANyway It's good to see you posting again----We appreciate your sharing your knowledge and experience.
Me?? I've never stopped riding and never will stop riding.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:35 PM   #3808
antpatterson
XR650L_High_Runner

So I just installed the Highflo Water Impeller tonight somewhat dark out, did it on my own (I usually get my dad to help me but I've decided to try and learn to work mechanically on my bikes on my own). First off it was all easy until I had to find a way to get the first gasket on, then the orange metal piece, then the final gasket along with the pump cover. So I got it all back on, installed correctly and as should (don't have a torque wrench so I applied enough torque I thought needed so nothing would loosen or overtighten) anyway so I started the bike and it sounded fine, no leaks, and no new noises other than the stupid cam chain that I need to replace. Should there be anything I need to watch out for? I was confused on the water impeller because as I tightened the nut it kept going back and back so I kept tightening and did not want to tighten it all the way to the back, was this a mistake? It's somewhat tight now and obviously there needed to be room but I was unsure if the washer behind the impeller was what caused it to somewhat get tighter so I stopped. I am doing the coolant recovery kit tomorrow and I was unable to hook the rad hose back up to the cover fully on but enough so no leak and etc. but tomorrow while the gas tank is off I'll have room to fully slide it on but while I have it all off tomorrow I wanted to check to see if I might've screwed up along the way of putting the impeller on and etc.
XR80r
2008 XCRW450

antpatterson screwed with this post 01-20-2013 at 10:57 AM
Old 01-20-2013, 10:10 AM   #3809
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
So I just installed the Highflo Oil pump tonight somewhat dark out, did it on my own (I usually get my dad to help me but I've decided to try and learn to work mechanically on my bikes on my own). First off it was all easy until I had to find a way to get the first gasket on, then the orange metal piece, then the final gasket along with the pump cover. So I got it all back on, installed correctly and as should (don't have a torque wrench so I applied enough torque I thought needed so nothing would loosen or overtighten) anyway so I started the bike and it sounded fine, no leaks, and no new noises other than the stupid cam chain that I need to replace. Should there be anything I need to watch out for? I was confused on the water propeller because as I tightened the nut it kept going back and back so I kept tightening and did not want to tighten it all the way to the back, was this a mistake? It's somewhat tight now and obviously there needed to be room but I was unsure if the washer behind the propeller was what caused it to somewhat get tighter so I stopped. I am doing the coolant recovery kit tomorrow and I was unable to hook the rad hose back up to the cover fully on but enough so no leak and etc. but tomorrow while the gas tank is off I'll have room to fully slide it on but while I have it all off tomorrow I wanted to check to see if I might've screwed up along the way of putting the propeller on and etc.
Dang,learning to work on bikes with out a torque wrench or a clear idea of what your doing with internal engine bits can get interesting.
Best be careful. Simple things can lead to disaster.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:55 AM   #3810
antpatterson
XR650L_High_Runner

Well I talked to my mechanic friend and he said the water impeller should tighten on it's on but I tightened it a good bit and ran it for awhile now, and went out flying on it today and no issues or leaks. My mechanic buddy has been working on dirtbikes for 35+ years and he doesn't always use a torque wrench either if you know what feels good then it should be tight enough, my next project is the DirtTricks came tensioner.

I have a separate question, I've had no oil issues at all BUT I don't know if any previous owners did the oil seal correction or if this bike even has that potential problem since it was the early 08's and some 09's, I read later 08's were corrected though. The question though, is combining the tranny and engine oil better? Any good picture threads on how this is done? Does it require machining? Cost?
XR80r
2008 XCRW450