Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 06:40 AM   #4036
The Mad Piper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rod View Post
It still works, but is less effective on some bikes (usually the internet ones). My friend's bike has 230 hours on it's backwards cam (I checked), and it has no trouble starting. . . . well, not entirely true, his 5 year old battery finally packed it in. If it ain't broke. . . . .

edit Michhub, I'm not being argumentative, I'm just stating that while it is a well documented issue, it has a lesser affect on some. If you have trouble , change it, if not, I don't see the point.
I have an 08 that I got used with very low hours. Valves were in the middle of measurement and no other issues. I always had to kick it and thought that was normal. You basically had to put your entire weight on the kick to even turn the bike over. I got to where I didn't even try the e-start. The e-start would turn it over but not enough to fire. I did all of hookas mods. My friend has an 09 which fires up no prob. He rode on mine and about broke his leg kicking it. I decided to swap out the cam. That solved everything. Fires up with the button and kick smooth and easy. I haven't had to kick it since. I love my bike again. But like the post above states, I only fixed it because it was broke.
The Mad Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:21 PM   #4037
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 1,062
New To Me 530

Just sold my 2010 690R moving to a 530. Better suits my riding. Its a 2010 xc-w six days with 10 hrs on bike. Time to tear it apart.
I know its gonna cost me.

photo 687E4CEF-270A-41D5-BA1A-67A50DBB1A3E-2599-00000173A786EC7C_zps477a754e.jpg photo 3K23I73N85N55G35Edd3q8b3dae24e504133e_zps6ff8261a.  jpg
Old 03-29-2013, 09:57 AM   #4038
NWBoarder
Whitmeister

Oddometer: 1,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Piper View Post
I have an 08 that I got used with very low hours. Valves were in the middle of measurement and no other issues. I always had to kick it and thought that was normal. You basically had to put your entire weight on the kick to even turn the bike over. I got to where I didn't even try the e-start. The e-start would turn it over but not enough to fire. I did all of hookas mods. My friend has an 09 which fires up no prob. He rode on mine and about broke his leg kicking it. I decided to swap out the cam. That solved everything. Fires up with the button and kick smooth and easy. I haven't had to kick it since. I love my bike again. But like the post above states, I only fixed it because it was broke.
I have the same issues on my '08 530 EXC-R, and will be doing Hak's Torque limiter mod. Supposedly the cam was fixed by the previous owner, but I will check.

I think its time for a new battery 530.
Have there been improvements in the Shorai products? Or should I stick with conventional?
Old 03-29-2013, 05:42 PM   #4039
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Headlight Not Working on my XC-W

went for a ride, for some reason brake light and headlight are not working. Bulb not burned out, there is no switch so I'm stumped. Anybody have similar issue?

Thanks
Old 03-30-2013, 09:34 AM   #4040
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honkey Cat View Post
went for a ride, for some reason brake light and headlight are not working. Bulb not burned out, there is no switch so I'm stumped. Anybody have similar issue?

Thanks

Ok I'm a dumb ass, lol. Checked wiring diagram and walla, choke knob turned into a headlight switch. Previous owner was a dumb ass also evidently
Old 03-30-2013, 12:44 PM   #4041
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 2,962
I'm thinking of picking up a 500+ cc thumper for desert duties (the LC8 tries to kill me everytime i take her out to the desert ) during weekends and swap to supermoto wheels during the week. There is not much technical riding to do here but lots of open sand desert. I'll be getting a 20+ ltr tank on any bike that i'll pick up.

I'm not very knowledgeable about the EXC range but do understand from reading here that the old RFS engined bikes are known for the better engines (?) and the newer XC engined bike for the chassis and suspension.

There is an '07 525EXC (RFS) for around 4000$ and an '09 530EXC for approx 4900$ . Being the last year RFS the 525 looks attractive to me but i'm thinking why not go for the newer '09 if it is good ?

what do you guys say ?
No beautiful body soft and warm to the touch but, i have a very small desire
Give me a dark... long... winding road, three gears to go and my Hellas on fire !!
Vicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:47 PM   #4042
resqd1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honkey Cat View Post
Ok I'm a dumb ass, lol. Checked wiring diagram and walla, choke knob turned into a headlight switch. Previous owner was a dumb ass also evidently

What how is a choke knob a headlight switch show pics please
resqd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:40 PM   #4043
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicks View Post
I'm thinking of picking up a 500+ cc thumper for desert duties (the LC8 tries to kill me everytime i take her out to the desert ) during weekends and swap to supermoto wheels during the week. There is not much technical riding to do here but lots of open sand desert. I'll be getting a 20+ ltr tank on any bike that i'll pick up.

I'm not very knowledgeable about the EXC range but do understand from reading here that the old RFS engined bikes are known for the better engines (?) and the newer XC engined bike for the chassis and suspension.

There is an '07 525EXC (RFS) for around 4000$ and an '09 530EXC for approx 4900$ . Being the last year RFS the 525 looks attractive to me but i'm thinking why not go for the newer '09 if it is good ?

what do you guys say ?
I'd take the 2009. I sold my 2007 525 exc in the fall and picked up 2009 530. I had a fair amount of time on my buddies 2008, and they are better bikes all around as far as I am concerned, with equal reliability. The '09 is even better again. The RFS has a loyal following, but I like the newer motor more myself.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:55 PM   #4044
mflora98ss
Dual Sportin'

Oddometer: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by resqd1 View Post
I gotta see some pics of that! I don't know nothing about that kind of customization.
mflora98ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:05 PM   #4045
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Oddometer: 2,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by mflora98ss View Post
I gotta see some pics of that! I don't know nothing about that kind of customization.
Not so sure that's a custom job, as my brand new 09' 300xc-w has a similar choke looking switch for the headlight. I think it's the Ktm style for the headlight switch.

Waiting for a pic though to confirm!
2003 KLR 650 Alaskan Adventure
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Lappeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:54 PM   #4046
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,763
Quote:
The RFS has a loyal following, but I like the newer motor more myself.
+1

And there's no comparing the frames. The newer ones are better in every respect.

The latest 12+ raises that bar again, but not by nearly as big a margin.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:43 PM   #4047
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by resqd1 View Post
on the right side of the display there is a knob you pull up to turn lights on. Orig. owner said it was choke knob.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:13 PM   #4048
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Quote:
I'd take the 2009. I sold my 2007 525 exc in the fall and picked up 2009 530. I had a fair amount of time on my buddies 2008, and they are better bikes all around as far as I am concerned, with equal reliability. The '09 is even better again. The RFS has a loyal following, but I like the newer motor more myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
+1

And there's no comparing the frames. The newer ones are better in every respect.

The latest 12+ raises that bar again, but not by nearly as big a margin.
Thanks for the inputs guys.

An '11 450EXC has just been listed on the classifieds here for 5800$ and it has FMF Titanium exhaust & Akrapovich Titanium Front Pipe, 100 hours, top end just rebuilt as per the owner.

With your recommendations to go with a newer bike, i'm now thinking if the top end of this 450 can be swapped with a 530 kit ?

Ned, what about that 570 kit you were mentioning (IIRC) earlier in this thread ? Will it fit a 450 bottom ?

cheers
Give me a dark... long... winding road, three gears to go and my Hellas on fire !!
Old 03-30-2013, 09:23 PM   #4049
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC8TY View Post
Here's a couple of pics of Todd Smiths, CPW Safari prepaired KTM 530 that took first place in the 09 Gascoyne Dash (desert race)

An interesting look with the low front gaurd and plenty of bling.

Wow !! that is gorgeous and i want to do naughty things with it !!! I think this is gonna cost me some money.

sorry for bringing up the old pic. I've just started going through this thread.

Vicks screwed with this post 03-31-2013 at 04:14 AM
Old 03-31-2013, 03:14 AM   #4050
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Ok, here is the boring pic of the knob

photo b75863a1-39f3-40e7-8619-4bf9cdf1f42a_zpsa3150dba.jpg