Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2013, 06:19 AM   #4126
empedrado
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
I just did my top end at 10,000 miles. Everything in excellent condition except the compression ring gap was considerably out of spec. Bike was using a little oil but not more than what KTM thinks is acceptable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
8800 miles,that's a good long run for one of these.
If it runs good,doesnt burn oil,starts good,Id do a compression check and see how that goes.
empedrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:03 AM   #4127
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 6,808
That's really good for a 530.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:34 AM   #4128
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by empedrado View Post
I just did my top end at 10,000 miles. Everything in excellent condition except the compression ring gap was considerably out of spec. Bike was using a little oil but not more than what KTM thinks is acceptable.
Very encouraging,10,000 miles on my 530 would be a very long time from now as I ride other bikes around alot.
I just put a piston kit in my 09 200XCW and at 175 hours the OEM piston would have gone much longer,still looked great.
KTM builds good product.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:06 AM   #4129
FlyingDutchman
Dirt Biker

Oddometer: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott G View Post
I have 8800 miles on my 2010 XCW and wondering when is it time to rebuild the top end.

I do want to take something a part that is not broke, but I dont want to wait to long and cost me more and mess up a ride weekend or 2

Any advise?
If you are sure it has not been rebuilt, I'd open it up and bring the piston and cylinder to a dealer and ask what they think.

I did mine at 180hrs and re-installed the original piston with new rings because the dealer mecahanic said the piston and cylinder looked like new. My rings showed wear but were still in spec. I replaced them and my valve seals.

The bike seemed to have more power and throttle response after the re-build...probably due to increased compression. Cost under $200 for the rings seals and gaskets.

There aren't any stories of these pistons going kaboom on the net but I will put a new one in after 300hrs. YMMV especially depending on your filter maintenance...
Old 04-15-2013, 11:25 AM   #4130
howardbell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
.... I promised myself I would never do one of those "hey guys, should I buy this bike" posts, but I am breaking down and asking for a little help here fella's. I've been riding various street bikes for 6-7 years, when I moved more into V-strom and got the "dirt bug" - after spending tons of money trying to make that big bike something it was not (a KTM 950 adventurer), I sold it when my second daughter was born and bought a travel trailer to spend more time camping with the family. Well, I've got the bug again and really need a bike... Now I'm thinking a small dual sport would be great to throw on the back of the trailer and take out camping, just exploring the high desert trails and back roads of central oregon.

I was ready to go out and drop $5k on one of those new Honda crf250L, but after looking at the cost to replace the rear shock and completely redo work the forks, pipe and programer... that bike no longer looks like a bargain, but a hole to throw money down. Next, $6,500 on a new wr250r, little more power, and much less money in upgrades, but still upgrades in suspension -- but then it hit me, I ran across a 2009 530 EXC, 6700 miles with GPR4 steering dampner for $5999 at a local KTM dealer.

But here's the real deal, and I really don't need to get flamed over this... but I HATE bike maintenance! I am incompetent to a fault, hell, I used to pay to have the shop do an oil change on some of my previous bikes (and my cars for that matter). Can this bike just be a gas and go kind of machine? In other words, if you don't ring its neck, run wide open throttle - instead use the motor rather cautiously and change the oil from time to time... should I buy this bike?

thanks fella's --
howardbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:58 AM   #4131
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by howardbell View Post
.... I promised myself I would never do one of those "hey guys, should I buy this bike" posts, but I am breaking down and asking for a little help here fella's. I've been riding various street bikes for 6-7 years, when I moved more into V-strom and got the "dirt bug" - after spending tons of money trying to make that big bike something it was not (a KTM 950 adventurer), I sold it when my second daughter was born and bought a travel trailer to spend more time camping with the family. Well, I've got the bug again and really need a bike... Now I'm thinking a small dual sport would be great to throw on the back of the trailer and take out camping, just exploring the high desert trails and back roads of central oregon.

I was ready to go out and drop $5k on one of those new Honda crf250L, but after looking at the cost to replace the rear shock and completely redo work the forks, pipe and programer... that bike no longer looks like a bargain, but a hole to throw money down. Next, $6,500 on a new wr250r, little more power, and much less money in upgrades, but still upgrades in suspension -- but then it hit me, I ran across a 2009 530 EXC, 6700 miles with GPR4 steering dampner for $5999 at a local KTM dealer.

But here's the real deal, and I really don't need to get flamed over this... but I HATE bike maintenance! I am incompetent to a fault, hell, I used to pay to have the shop do an oil change on some of my previous bikes (and my cars for that matter). Can this bike just be a gas and go kind of machine? In other words, if you don't ring its neck, run wide open throttle - instead use the motor rather cautiously and change the oil from time to time... should I buy this bike?

thanks fella's --

I think it can be. I change my oil every 15 hours (not sure how many miles that is), but it usually still looks pretty good. It's a really easy 10 min. job, especially if I don't do the filter (I change that every other time). Otherwise, I've done nothing to it. Valves haven't budged since I got it, I clean the chain occasionally, and ride it. Less maintenance than my 525 was (the valves needed a lot of attention on that bike), and certainly no more than my XR400 was.

My wife has the WR250; unless you are a very easy going putt-putt type of rider, don't bother. And it weighs 60 lbs more than my 530! That thing is an underpowered little pig.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:25 PM   #4132
howardbell
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
I think it can be. I change my oil every 15 hours (not sure how many miles that is), but it usually still looks pretty good. It's a really easy 10 min. job, especially if I don't do the filter (I change that every other time). Otherwise, I've done nothing to it. Valves haven't budged since I got it, I clean the chain occasionally, and ride it. Less maintenance than my 525 was (the valves needed a lot of attention on that bike), and certainly no more than my XR400 was.

My wife has the WR250; unless you are a very easy going putt-putt type of rider, don't bother. And it weighs 60 lbs more than my 530! That thing is an underpowered little pig.

Thanks Hayduke! I was hoping to hear something like that... I've read much of this thread and so much of it has to do with tearing the engine apart! Eff-that! By the time I am done running a small construction company, being a halfway decent father to 2 young girls under 5 years old and a marginal husband at best... I've got just about enough time left over for a few day rides per summer, and rebuilding a top-end (in fact, I have no idea what that even means) or worse, taking it to the shop to be raped, is not what I am signing up for. Thank you again Hayduke, I appreciate the quick and thoughtful reply!
Old 04-15-2013, 12:49 PM   #4133
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,393
I think many of us here fret over them more than necessary. I want "optimum performance", nevermind that I don't ride it nearly to the bike's ability.

That being said, I ride a LOT, and put a lot of hours on it, and it still hasn't needed much of anything. Just got back from a few days in Utah, and I just rode it with no worries, and it really doesn't need a thing done to it before riding again.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:59 PM   #4134
howardbell
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I think many of us here fret over them more than necessary. I want "optimum performance", nevermind that I don't ride it nearly to the bike's ability.

That being said, I ride a LOT, and put a lot of hours on it, and it still hasn't needed much of anything. Just got back from a few days in Utah, and I just rode it with no worries, and it really doesn't need a thing done to it before riding again.

Alright, alright Hayduke.... I'm sold! In fact, I'm giddy as a school girl. I just need to figure out how much $$$ I'm going to offer on an 09' with 6700 miles --
Old 04-15-2013, 04:06 PM   #4135
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,305
Quote:
Alright, alright Hayduke.... I'm sold! In fact, I'm giddy as a school girl. I just need to figure out how much $$$ I'm going to offer on an 09' with 6700 miles --
You should be able to find something like that for less than $4000. If you're not mechanically savvy, have Matt Worbes at M-Tech give it a look-over for you. Great guy, and an excellent mechanic.
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:15 PM   #4136
FlyingDutchman
Dirt Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos View Post
You should be able to find something like that for less than $4000. If you're not mechanically savvy, have Matt Worbes at M-Tech give it a look-over for you. Great guy, and an excellent mechanic.
I wouldn't pay 4k for Hayduke's obviously but finding one that satisfies a mechanical inspection will cost you a fair bit more ..6k
Old 04-15-2013, 05:26 PM   #4137
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos View Post
Well,it IS at a dealer,they always have to have absolute top dollar no matter what,that's after they gave a trade in price on it.

Hunting private party bikes is what I always do.
If a real low hour bike turns up they are worth some extra cash for sure.

A 450 will make more then enough power,I got a 530 and if revved even a little its always on the back wheel and hauling ass.

(+1 on the WR250 comments,some guys love em but jeeze,if something weighs that much,it oughta have some power to go with it)
Old 04-15-2013, 05:28 PM   #4138
FlyingDutchman
Dirt Biker

Quote:

thanks fella's --
Howard

I think going from a vstrom to a 530 with no dirt bike experience is a mistake. And I'm not talking about maintenance.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:40 PM   #4139
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Oddometer: 2,073
Quote:
the WR250; unless you are a very easy going putt-putt type of rider, don't bother. And it weighs 60 lbs more than my 530! That thing is an underpowered little pig.

All those 250 "dual sport" bikes are like that! I rode a Klx 250 and likened it to a 300lb moped Even the Klx 400 which is a nice bike is underpowered and overweight...the 530 is lighter and tons more power!
2003 KLR 650 Alaskan Adventure
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Lappeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:31 AM   #4140
KTM Explorer
Dirt Whore

Oddometer: 194
Is this a proven necessity on a 2010 530 EXC?

http://www.dirttricks.com/tct.htm

KTM Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote