Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013, 07:59 AM   #4231
FlyingDutchman
Dirt Biker

Oddometer: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honkey Cat View Post
I'm going to probably remove subframe and re-weld it the way it is supposed to be. I'm crazy and I'm the only one.
Please post more of those pics when you do it.

Finally, a noob with the initiative to fix the problem.

Thanks

Old 04-30-2013, 08:10 AM   #4232
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 1,066
I will post pics when its fixed. Pulled it all apart last night
Old 04-30-2013, 08:24 AM   #4233
FlyingDutchman
Dirt Biker

If someone who has a photohosting site wants post up a pic of the Cree lights mounted, send me an email.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:49 AM   #4234
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman View Post
If someone who has a photohosting site wants post up a pic of the Cree lights mounted, send me an email.
Sent you a pm.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:15 PM   #4235
FlyingDutchman
Dirt Biker

Seat Cover Change

I replaced my seat cover this winter. It turned out ok but I wouldn't recommend it.

I ordered the oem seat cover for $55 plus the gas to the dealer. I waited a couple of months picking out a staple gun. Then I pulled the old cover and discovered my foam was in rough shape....too late to return the cover and order a complete seat. Waited a couple more months and when I set a few staples in I realized that I had a 6 inch crack in my seat pan.

I finished the job.... it looks like new....and listed it on ebay.

Just kidding...should last another year or two if I don't sit down much
Old 04-30-2013, 12:37 PM   #4236
malcolmzilla
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
130 hours on my 2010 530 EXC/Christini.

100% leak down, oil consumption has been an issue since day 1, intermittently a lot, sometimes a little, plug always oil wet. Dealer would not warranty, "All new 4 strokes use some oil". Water under the bridge, so...

Tore bike down, engine is out ready a reman or refresh, will have a mechanic do it - I get enough wrenching on the Christini bits LOL.

What is the consensus, assuming my cylinder will be NFG, and getting them plated here is a long wait so thinking order the SXS 540 kit, new water, oil pump, chain and dirt trick tensioner, new head if req'd... Also worried about the FCR 39 being large enough...

Save some $ with the 540 vs the full 570 stroker kit, since it has lower hours on the bottom end and cams? Altho KTM oil rings scare me now.

Thoughts on it? Thanks. Never found the 530 lacking for snap/grunt, but now that I have a Berg 570 in the fleet...

Bike is used primarily for winter single track snow riding on studs, backup to my WR450 for enduros, and some dualsporting.

malcolmzilla screwed with this post 04-30-2013 at 12:51 PM
malcolmzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:42 PM   #4237
malcolmzilla
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman View Post
Just kidding...should last another year or two if I don't sit down much
I ordered the Sicass comfort in for last winters season (way more sit down riding) and IIRC it was about $120 and came complete, assembled and is delicious on my bum, slightly more foam and generous contours.

malcolmzilla screwed with this post 04-30-2013 at 12:56 PM
malcolmzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:01 PM   #4238
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmzilla View Post

100% leak down, oil consumption has been an issue since day 1, intermittently a lot, sometimes a little, plug always oil wet. Dealer would not warranty, "All new 4 strokes use some oil". Water under the bridge, so...

Tore bike down, engine is out ready a reman or refresh, will have a mechanic do it - I get enough wrenching on the Christini bits LOL.

What is the consensus, assuming my cylinder will be NFG, and getting them plated here is a long wait so thinking order the SXS 540 kit, new water, oil pump, chain and dirt trick tensioner, new head if req'd... Also worried about the FCR 39 being large enough...

Save some $ with the 540 vs the full 570 stroker kit, since it has lower hours on the bottom end and cams? Altho KTM oil rings scare me now.

Thoughts on it? Thanks. Never found the 530 lacking for snap/grunt, but now that I have a Berg 570 in the fleet...

Bike is used primarily for winter single track snow riding on studs, backup to my WR450 for enduros, and some dualsporting.
You didnt call a real dealer or try something when it used oil right off the bat?
Kinda expensive bike to just take it and lump it.
The chrome bore may be just fine,they usually are.
Run a diamond hone through it quick like and new rings and piston should be good.
Unless a valve seal was puking oil all along ,hard to say.

My 2011 530 has yet to use enough oil to measure luckily enough.

The Christini bits have been an issue as well?"
Old 04-30-2013, 01:09 PM   #4239
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honkey Cat View Post
Ok im gonna drop the elbow and make it fit
Lotta elbow talk,people's elbow,etc.
Im not sure what that means really.

Re-welding that subframe to make your seat fit could easily open up more problems then your trying to solve.

If you think about it,the seat was on the bike when you got it,wouldnt it stand to reason that it would fit back on again?
Somebody at the factory put that seat on.

Slight torquing of said seat and some snap forward pressure and it will go on.
I had trouble the first time I tried it but it can be done,yours is no different I bet. KTM's plan is to have the seat tight on the bike with the 1 bolt holding it on,that's why the tight fit.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:01 PM   #4240
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Lotta elbow talk,people's elbow,etc.
Im not sure what that means really.

Re-welding that subframe to make your seat fit could easily open up more problems then your trying to solve.

If you think about it,the seat was on the bike when you got it,wouldnt it stand to reason that it would fit back on again?
Somebody at the factory put that seat on.

Slight torquing of said seat and some snap forward pressure and it will go on.
I had trouble the first time I tried it but it can be done,yours is no different I bet. KTM's plan is to have the seat tight on the bike with the 1 bolt holding it on,that's why the tight fit.
Agree. Push it forward and give it a smack. I'd try ten other things before re-welding the subframe. Both the clockworks and stock tanks on my bike are snug. Buddies 530/ Clockworks was almost impossible at first, but it goes on and off easier than mine now.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:14 PM   #4241
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 1,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rod View Post
Agree. Push it forward and give it a smack. I'd try ten other things before re-welding the subframe. Both the clockworks and stock tanks on my bike are snug. Buddies 530/ Clockworks was almost impossible at first, but it goes on and off easier than mine now.
Im with you, it was stuck on so hard i thought there has to be another bolt holding it on. I put a ls6 vette engine in my miata so trust me ive slaped it, hit it, pushed, shoved tried flexing it. Im going to just modify a small section. It will be correct when im done with it
Old 05-01-2013, 06:58 AM   #4242
FlyingDutchman
Dirt Biker

Cree 10w LED Spot Beam Lights

I bought these Cree lights last spring for a 4am start time rally and they have worked very well. I haven't compared them to much but it certainly was a 300% upgraded over the halogen TT light alone. I could not out run the beam in the woods or on the road at 100km/h. They are mounted to the handguard mount. They are wired so that the 4" halogen is the low beam and all 4 bulbs come on on high beam. They have remained waterproof and have not bothered me one bit while riding single track trail riding or enduro competition. The price seems had to beat on ebay and are available in flood beam too but my TT light handles that function
Old 05-01-2013, 08:05 AM   #4243
FlyingDutchman
Dirt Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmzilla View Post

Ned is going to post up thoughts on the OEM 570 kit soon which is the same parts as the Berg 570 IIRC.

Do you need more torque on the snowy singletrack?

I don't understand your leakdown %. But I would recommend removing the cylinder your self and having it inspected/measured with the rings. OEM rings and valve seals are the cheapest fix at about 200$ + little labour. The KTM manual is very methodical. My piston and cylinder were fine at 180 hrs with lots of oil loss.

But I would be curious to test out a 570 kit and all the other upgrades...maybe next winter...
Old 05-01-2013, 03:57 PM   #4244
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Bent my clutch lever when the hand guard twisted, so I installed some B-Rod threaded inserts. Very similar to the BRP inserts, except I have lots of time to fashion stuff rather than buy it. This is the third set I've made, and really should have made them the moment I bought this bike. I probably would have save the lever.

Take a 5/8" tap, and tap the end of your bars, but not too deep. Note the tape on the BRP tap. Mine didn't really matter, since I had an ample length bolt and not the predetermined length like the BRP.

Centre drill a 5/8" bolt to accept an 8mm tap, and tap that sucker. I used a lettered drill, size G. Blob some red Loctite on the bolt, and crank it into the bars. It will bottom to the depth that you cut the threads. Cut the remainder of the bolt off, grind smooth'n flush, and reinstall your hand guard. Done!
Old 05-02-2013, 07:03 AM   #4245
FlyingDutchman
Dirt Biker

Threaded Inserts-Unbreakable Levers?

I installed my handguards into threaded inserts last winter. My handguards have not moved since. I used G2 nylon inserts in some new Twinwall bars with Bonz centermounts. I hoped it would be solid, and so far it has.

However, I did manage to snap my clutch lever off during Day 2 of the Corduroy Enduro. I rode the last three tests with a one finger shorty clutch lever...it could have been worse. If your drop your bike at just the right angle and your levers are adjusted down for standing comfort, they can still snap.

So, I'm considering these levers by ASV touted as unbreakable. Anyone have these installed?