Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2013, 12:10 PM   #4306
Rickfenn1
Voltron

Oddometer: 26
I've tried some of the local rock crawling trails in Western MA on mine, only 2 problems I ran into were stopping and going on slick downhills since most of the time if vehicles can't get up a hill they just light up the throttle and put a nice smooth layer of rubber on the rocks and then the 530 once hot from climbing hard inclines with a lot of stops and stalls on the bigger boulder trails does not like restarting after a good hour or so in the heat. Taking your time and the right gearing with low tire pressures and you conquer pretty much anything.

This is the closest trail to me called Jeep eater. This was one of the only places I could really stop and put the kickstand down.

It would be a little more difficult now though.

Oh and I've been a long time Creeper on this thread without posting. Thanks to everyone for helping me make sooo many less bad decisions than I would have.
Rickfenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:33 PM   #4307
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickfenn1 View Post
I've tried some of the local rock crawling trails in Western MA on mine, only 2 problems I ran into were stopping and going on slick downhills since most of the time if vehicles can't get up a hill they just light up the throttle and put a nice smooth layer of rubber on the rocks and then the 530 once hot from climbing hard inclines with a lot of stops and stalls on the bigger boulder trails does not like restarting after a good hour or so in the heat. Taking your time and the right gearing with low tire pressures and you conquer pretty much anything.

This is the closest trail to me called Jeep eater. This was one of the only places I could really stop and put the kickstand down.

It would be a little more difficult now though.

Oh and I've been a long time Creeper on this thread without posting. Thanks to everyone for helping me make sooo many less bad decisions than I would have.
Nice shots,I like my 530 but I dont try and use it as a trials bike,my 200XCW on the other hand has a Tubliss in the rear with a Dunlop Trials tire at 5 psi or maybe a little less.
We dont use winches but have been known to tie tow straps together and pull bikes up things for short distances. 4 or 5 guys can pull a light bike right up.

The local nor cal trails encourage this sort of thing,huge expanses of granite,dry waterfalls or maybe wet depending on season,sidehill singletrack where you just never look down.

Its supposed to rain in the Sierra Nevada mountains here and be in the 60's for 5 or 6 days,time to head to the mountains for a few days.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:25 PM   #4308
antpatterson
XR650L_High_Runner

Oddometer: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
How did that come about? Gradually lost power and died or ran fine and then blew white smoke out the pipe and died? No water in oil or oil in radiator?
No I was riding and a rattle started, like a rock getting bounced around then white smoke began from the exhaust but the bike was running fine except when I was giving it gas in higher rpms or something, idling it did not make a rattle or rev it while in neatural was fine but when I hit 3rd to 6th gears and gave it too much throttle it would rattle bad. So after I shut the bike off after the white smoke began I had to restart it because it was sinking into some mushy sand but it wouldn't start. So yesterday I tried to start it for the hell of it to see if the engine was destroyed or not but it crunk up and sounded fine BUT there was no white smoke at all but I didn't want to chance any more damage so I left it at that and started to take the top end apart but I had to go to work so didn't get to the cover. Anyway I drained the oil and the tranny oil was crystal clear, the engine oil was a whole different story, it was more silver than anything so my engine is obvioulsy eating itself somewhere and I hope to get my college refund check this week so I can take it to a well known mechanic nearby and let him just do a whole new build on it because I don't know what the piston is like from the PO's. I may end up having him do the oil all in on conversion so no more worry about the oil seal problem, but that's if he already has to split the cases. I wish I could find a good 530 motor to drop in my frame instead.....
XR80r
2008 XCRW450
antpatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:31 PM   #4309
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by antpatterson View Post
No I was riding and a rattle started, like a rock getting bounced around then white smoke began from the exhaust but the bike was running fine except when I was giving it gas in higher rpms or something, idling it did not make a rattle or rev it while in neatural was fine but when I hit 3rd to 6th gears and gave it too much throttle it would rattle bad. So after I shut the bike off after the white smoke began I had to restart it because it was sinking into some mushy sand but it wouldn't start. So yesterday I tried to start it for the hell of it to see if the engine was destroyed or not but it crunk up and sounded fine BUT there was no white smoke at all but I didn't want to chance any more damage so I left it at that and started to take the top end apart but I had to go to work so didn't get to the cover. Anyway I drained the oil and the tranny oil was crystal clear, the engine oil was a whole different story, it was more silver than anything so my engine is obvioulsy eating itself somewhere and I hope to get my college refund check this week so I can take it to a well known mechanic nearby and let him just do a whole new build on it because I don't know what the piston is like from the PO's. I may end up having him do the oil all in on conversion so no more worry about the oil seal problem, but that's if he already has to split the cases. I wish I could find a good 530 motor to drop in my frame instead.....
Shoot! That sucks the big Wahoo (tech term) I would make sure the local mech knows KTM's,they arent complicated but need to be done right.

Ive heard bad things about the "all in one" oil conversion,not sure what happens but many caution against it. It is odd though,the trans takes almost a quart and the trans oil in mine is always clear and clean.
It would be nice to be circulating that 9/10ths of a quart through the engine as well.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:17 AM   #4310
Krazyjohnny
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 442
Baja Designs HID Conversion kit for EXCR

The search function here is not the greatest. Has anyone done this conversion on their 530? How does it compare to the Squadron LED and did you have to replace the stator? I could not find much info at Baja Designs on the swap. Not looking for a full on race light setup just something that will actually let me see the road on the way home or back to camp. This could be the perfect alternative. I could also slip it by the "war department" with our upcoming trip on the horizon.
2013 Ducati Multistrada, 08' 530 EXCR, 09' Yamaha FZ-6
Krazyjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:34 AM   #4311
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazyjohnny View Post
The search function here is not the greatest. Has anyone done this conversion on their 530? How does it compare to the Squadron LED and did you have to replace the stator? I could not find much info at Baja Designs on the swap. Not looking for a full on race light setup just something that will actually let me see the road on the way home or back to camp. This could be the perfect alternative. I could also slip it by the "war department" with our upcoming trip on the horizon.
Both HID and LED lights require DC power, so you will want to change your stock AC/DC stator (Trailtech one is very good and sold rebranded in the KTM Power Parts catalog) or you have to do the DC mod/float the ground. You will need a different regulator as well, again TT is good.

Can't comment on the BD HID kit but I love the Squadron, compact, very light, great light output and from what I have seen well designed LED systems are much more reliable with no bulb or ballast to fail.

FYI: The Trailtech 100W DC kit with stator and regulator is sold for $165 list price through KTM (78039904000), and it's easy to find KTM parts at a good discount.

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:14 AM   #4312
J.Johnson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
I like my baja designs squadron lights. I have installed about 7 of these things. The instructions for the doc conversion are easy. As long as you can solder you can convert it over.

Sent with this high tech chingadera!
Old 05-17-2013, 08:31 AM   #4313
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Johnson View Post
I like my baja designs squadron lights. I have installed about 7 of these things. The instructions for the doc conversion are easy. As long as you can solder you can convert it over.

Sent with this high tech chingadera!
I think HID is getting to be a thing of the past,the new LED settups are lighter,less breakable,take less power, and people seem to like em lots. They advertise them as a direct bolt on for my 2011 530 but some finagling is required?
Old 05-17-2013, 09:06 AM   #4314
DaveRMS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
Glamour shot from today, just because.

You live the dream, my friend!
DaveRMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:01 AM   #4315
trailjammer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by antpatterson View Post
Damn Ant! Sorry to hear that about your engine. :( Hope you get it all sorted quickly so you can get back out riding. It'll happen to all of us sooner or later. Good luck bro!
Old 05-17-2013, 12:10 PM   #4316
Krazyjohnny
Gnarly Adventurer

DC Conversion instructions

Ok so where do I find these instructions?
Old 05-17-2013, 12:17 PM   #4317
Krazyjohnny
Gnarly Adventurer

Headlight upgrade

So this looks like a $500+ project by the time you pick up the stator at $165 and then add the Squadron Light at $294 add in tax and shipping and you are there. Wow!
Old 05-17-2013, 01:16 PM   #4318
J.Johnson
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazyjohnny View Post
So this looks like a $500+ project by the time you pick up the stator at $165 and then add the Squadron Light at $294 add in tax and shipping and you are there. Wow!
Don't need the stator if you do the mod yourself. just a regulator rectifier. Instructions are on the Baja Designs site.
http://www.bajadesigns.com/docs/tech...d.pdf?sfvrsn=4
http://www.bajadesigns.com/ProductDe...mNumber=497051
http://www.bajadesigns.com/ProductDe...mNumber=122004
http://www.bajadesigns.com/ProductDe...mNumber=611049
You will need the light and regulator rectifier. I provided links for more than what you need. I am a dealer for Baja Designs also. Not trying to advertise just saying I have ordered this stuff a few tiems before :). I am off the go ride, have fun
Old 05-17-2013, 01:17 PM   #4319
J.Johnson
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Johnson View Post
Don't need the stator if you do the mod yourself. just a regulator rectifier. Instructions are on the Baja Designs site.
http://www.bajadesigns.com/docs/tech...d.pdf?sfvrsn=4
http://www.bajadesigns.com/ProductDe...mNumber=497051
http://www.bajadesigns.com/ProductDe...mNumber=122004
http://www.bajadesigns.com/ProductDe...mNumber=611049
You will need the light and regulator rectifier. I provided links for more than what you need. I am a dealer for Baja Designs also. Not trying to advertise just saying I have ordered this stuff a few tiems before :). I am off the go ride, have fun
Should be right under $400 with shipping
Old 05-18-2013, 07:19 PM   #4320
antpatterson
XR650L_High_Runner

Oddometer: 378
my new mechanic said it'll be under 1600 to rebuild my ktm top to bottom with labor included. he said from his opinion for me to stay away from cast pistons and he advises staywith factory because I said I wanted vertex. also if I go high compression what gas will I need to use?
XR80r
2008 XCRW450
antpatterson is offline   Reply With Quote