Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2013, 04:41 PM   #4396
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHYNOWTHEN View Post
I wont be changing back to a smaller tank. Most of my rides are in northern baja. This tank gives me the security that I can at least make money for beer selling over priced emergency gas to my riding buddies.

Doesn't seem to affect the handling too much. If the handelbars can fit through, the tank will definitely fit. I don't ride very fast, so don't know how it feels at speed. It does not get in my way on slow stuff, and protects all sorts of good stuff when I drop it.

That looks like a stock seat on your bike? I didnt make it far with the stocker on mine.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:15 PM   #4397
dirtdiver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdiver View Post
Well i gave everything the once over and did not find anything. I took the tank off and the headlight. Looked at all of the wiring and the connections. Nothing really amiss. The bikes seems to run fine.

I can't just pretend it never happened. Most of my riding (like others here) is out in the boonies without much help if the bike goes down.

I called my bike shop and talked to the owner. One thing or another I decided to take the bike in to have it looked at. I am also going to have him do a leak down check since I have so many miles.

He cautioned me that heat induced failures that are intermittent are a pisser to try to solve. He was going to poke around himself and get back to me.

Thanks for the ideas. I will report back.

DD
Well, I do have an update. It turns out I do not have an easy fix. In fact recently I have bought off on a total engine rebuild for $2950! Piston, cylinder, lifters, and crank shaft!

So...there you have it. Engine runs when cold but dies when hot = need new engine.

DD
dirtdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:30 AM   #4398
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,516
Quote:
Well, I do have an update. It turns out I do not have an easy fix. In fact recently I have bought off on a total engine rebuild for $2950! Piston, cylinder, lifters, and crank shaft!

So...there you have it. Engine runs when cold but dies when hot = need new engine.

DD

What was wrong?

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:44 AM   #4399
trailjammer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHYNOWTHEN View Post
I wont be changing back to a smaller tank. Most of my rides are in northern baja. This tank gives me the security that I can at least make money for beer selling over priced emergency gas to my riding buddies.

Doesn't seem to affect the handling too much. If the handelbars can fit through, the tank will definitely fit. I don't ride very fast, so don't know how it feels at speed. It does not get in my way on slow stuff, and protects all sorts of good stuff when I drop it.

It's always nice having a super tanker as your riding friend. Gas for beer for sure! Awesome! For as many pictures I see of that bike taking a nap, get a Trailjammer Designs case saver to protect that baby ;) shameless plug Great pics! Personally, I run the seat concepts seat and love it.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:21 AM   #4400
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,337
The smaller Acerbis tank actually holds a little more than 3.5 gallons.
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:50 PM   #4401
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,782
Quote:

DD
Now thats odd,it ran fine from time to time,quit occasionally.
Usually once an engine is completely worn out it doesnt run fine ever cold or hot. What was wrong with the cylinder and crank to be so worn out they need replacing? How many hours?
Old 06-10-2013, 02:34 PM   #4402
Rickfenn1
Voltron

Oddometer: 24
Received!!!!! Super Excited. Thanks Greg.

Good packaging and a few stickers.

I have NO idea where I'm going to fit the harness.....

Beefy Heatsink

Pre-Installed laminex it looks like

Beam patterns to come.......
Rickfenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:56 PM   #4403
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickfenn1 View Post
Received!!!!! Super Excited. Thanks Greg.

Coooool! If I needed light, that'd be the one.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:08 PM   #4404
Rickfenn1
Voltron

Fitment into the headlight bezel leaves something to be desired but I'm sure there's a reason for it, plus I sort of hastily put it in.

Stock beam unfortunately I had auto white balance and exposure on my phone.

Low beam

High Beam flickers a little at idle but is still at full Brightness. Clears right up at anything above idle. I am still running the stock Stator. No changes.

Overall I'm super pleased with it. Can't wait for this rain to stop for a bit so I can try it on the street.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:44 PM   #4405
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

For a light that was designed specifically for this application, it sure doesn't look like it follows the lines of the headlight mask very well.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:45 PM   #4406
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,676
Not perfect but way better looking than this $59 jewel from fleabay
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:18 PM   #4407
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 1,064
Quote:

DD
Ktmtalk, there is a basically new 450 engine $1800
Old 06-11-2013, 06:39 AM   #4408
Rickfenn1
Voltron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos View Post
For a light that was designed specifically for this application, it sure doesn't look like it follows the lines of the headlight mask very well.
Took about ten minutes, two longer bolts with spacers and a slight bend in the lower adjustment bracket and it fits great now. Hopefully its aimed correctly! Haha
Old 06-11-2013, 09:43 AM   #4409
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickfenn1 View Post
Took about ten minutes, two longer bolts with spacers and a slight bend in the lower adjustment bracket and it fits great now. Hopefully its aimed correctly! Haha
Yeah, was wondering if it was the camera angle or the way it was aimed or something. Good to know that you got it worked out.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:12 PM   #4410
dirtdiver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Now thats odd,it ran fine from time to time,quit occasionally.
Usually once an engine is completely worn out it doesnt run fine ever cold or hot. What was wrong with the cylinder and crank to be so worn out they need replacing? How many hours?
Well, I had not told the complete story because I did not think it was pertinent. I bought the bike new but had the original engine rebuilt under warrantee at about 1000 miles. The problem was excess oil consumption. Then I got about 9500 miles without troubles.

Just as I left on my last Baja trip I heard a pretty significant rattle coming from somewhere near the engine. I mean I was pulling out of my driveway when I heard the first noise. I had all of my luggage and crap hanging on the bike and figured it was something rattling on the engine not in the engine. The noise was pretty pronounced and constant for 2 days and 300 miles. The bike was running great. As we were coming home I was blasting along at 40-50mph when the engine just quit. It would turn over but not run at all. I checked the normal things (like oil) to find nothing. Deepsearider towed me to the border, the bike surprisingly started and I rode it home 20 miles. The next morning it started fine. But still the rattle. I asked you guys for your opinions on what my heat related issue could be. At the same time I poked around enough to realize that the noise was coming from inside the engine. I had taken the seat and tank off, changed the oil and could clearly hear the noise from inside the engine.

So, anyway I took the bike to my mechanic who heard that rattle and told me that it sounded really bad and not right.

He called me a week later to say that the valves were in spec as was the cam chain tensioner and the cam chain. He wanted to dig further. He did. I paid. It turns out that he thinks the engine seized at some point because the piston and cylinder were scored. He had some markings on the crankshaft which he thought I ought to replace. I imagine that this happened when the piston seized.

He does not know what caused the problem. He can tell I had oil in the bike but suspects the oil pump. Although, if I could ride 20 miles home the oil pump must have come back to life. As he puts the bike back together he is going to check the oil passages.

Apparently he is waiting on the piston to arrive and then he is going to send the piston and the cylinder to some sort of cylinder machining/ plating place in Wisconsin(??) for them to be matched.

The only other thing of note and I hesitate to start a huge discussion point but at about 6K miles I got tired of using the Motorex oil and went to a diesel engine oil 15-40 on both sides of the oil changes.

I am not sure what I have learned from this. I think 10K miles without doing the top end was pretty good. However, blowing the engine was unexpected and expensive. I am still undecided on the oil. My mechanic could not say that the oil was a factor. On the other hand he wants me to go back to the $17/liter stuff (which he sells). I have a few weeks or a month to ponder the oil.

DD
dirtdiver is offline   Reply With Quote