User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2013, 07:06 PM   #4426
Bungholio
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
Cry New Motoz Tyres

Just finished installing a set of Motoz Tractionator tyres on my 530. what a pain. I got their HD tubes as well and boy was it a job. At least they weren't the UHD tubes, only the 3mm thick ones. If I have a flat with these things I'm not sure I could tell. Only put in 1 rim lock-I have been using 2 in each tire-because I just couldn't get the other one in. I think with it flat it will feel like about 6lbs of air, so if I ever have a problem on the trail then I can just ride out on it and not worry about fixing. Had to inflate and deflate about 6 times for each tyre to get the bead to fully seat. They look to be pretty decent tyres and they have great reviews so far. Gotta try em on trails soon.
Bungholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:23 PM   #4427
Tourmeister
What's that funny noise?

Oddometer: 1,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg555 View Post
Lights are on eBay as requested

Got 4 left from my first order

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330939601165...witem=&vxp=mtr

Thanks
Greg
No stator upgrade required?

Got any pics showing low/hi beam patterns?

Two Wheeled Texans
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:28 PM   #4428
Greg555
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmeister View Post
No stator upgrade required?

Got any pics showing low/hi beam patterns?

No stator update required. Pretty much plug and play on your bike.

LOW BEAM

HIGH BEAM
Greg555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:30 PM   #4429
Tourmeister
What's that funny noise?

Oddometer: 1,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg555 View Post
No stator update required. Pretty much plug and play on your bike.

LOW BEAM

HIGH BEAM
Nice!!

Are they D.O.T. compliant?

Two Wheeled Texans
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:22 AM   #4430
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1 View Post
Lol...yeah man...I'm at least 50lbs heavier than the bike!

But from my mountain biking experience I am "light on my wheels"....

That's really low pressure! Wow....I'm closer to 32psi front and 34psi rear...... No wonder I'm bouncing off everything!
bike weighs around 260 dry,if your 310lbs..........what sort of mt bike wheel do you use?

Light on your wheels only works to a certain point.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:06 PM   #4431
shasta650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
2011 cam chain

Should I change out the stock cam chain tensioner on a 2011 450exc? Did KTM fix them by 2011? Seems "dirt tricks" is popular ,thanx
Old 06-18-2013, 01:56 AM   #4432
530steve
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
bike weighs around 260 dry,if your 310lbs..........what sort of mt bike wheel do you use?

Light on your wheels only works to a certain point.
I weigh 320lbs without my riding gear, and the full set of tools and spares I carry with me at all times when riding in the bush. I am 6'5" as well.

I run 12lbs front, 14lbs rear, using Maxxis Maxxcross IT, and HD tubes, which work a treat. Never had a flat

I'd rather be riding my 530 than worrying about whether I am light on my wheels or not

Here for a good time, not a long time!
530steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:01 AM   #4433
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530steve View Post
I weigh 320lbs without my riding gear, and the full set of tools and spares I carry with me at all times when riding in the bush. I am 6'5" as well.

I run 12lbs front, 14lbs rear, using Maxxis Maxxcross IT, and HD tubes, which work a treat. Never had a flat

I'd rather be riding my 530 than worrying about whether I am light on my wheels or not
Ah,one of the big people,I used to ride with these 2 German brothers,one was 6'7" the other was 6'5" and neither are skinny boys.
They said at that heidth trying to make a bike fit was not really doable so they just ignored it and rode.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:56 PM   #4434
myblubeemer
JWAT

Oddometer: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530steve View Post

Loose 100 lbs and you will enjoy the ride a lot more. I am also 6'5" and 220lbs an would feel better 15 lbs lighter.

"I'm not sure what I do all day, but it takes me all day to do it!"
myblubeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:13 PM   #4435
xathor
Not actually Gnarly

Oddometer: 438
Excuse the newb question:

My bike is using a bit of oil and has a lot of hours on it... I was thinking about putting a new piston in or just re-ringing it. Does anyone have any good links to tearing down an XC4 motor just so I can get a walkthrough in my mind before I actually do it. I'd hate to find some sort of gotcha or need a special tool half way through. I don't have a garage so I will have to do this in my living room and am hoping to have it in there as short as possible.

:)
2008 KTM 450EXC-R (Stolen/Totaled)
2008 Subaru STi (Cobb Stage 2)
xathor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:17 AM   #4436
530steve
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by myblubeemer View Post
Loose 100 lbs and you will enjoy the ride a lot more. I am also 6'5" and 220lbs an would feel better 15 lbs lighter.
Yes, obviously I am overweight, and certainly agree that losing 100lbs would be great.

My point was though, that I do not have to stop riding because of this fact. I got my first bike 40 years ago, and this 530 will not be my last regardless of how much I weigh. Hopefully KT will have an 1190R Adventure to keep her company in the shed soon

It was also to provide a bit of information on what I use, to assist KMC1 in helping them choose the correct tyre pressures so they enjoy their riding more as well

Here for a good time, not a long time!
530steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:47 AM   #4437
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by xathor View Post

My bike is using a bit of oil and has a lot of hours on it... I was thinking about putting a new piston in or just re-ringing it. Does anyone have any good links to tearing down an XC4 motor just so I can get a walkthrough in my mind before I actually do it. I'd hate to find some sort of gotcha or need a special tool half way through. I don't have a garage so I will have to do this in my living room and am hoping to have it in there as short as possible.

These are links to Ned's pictorial for a top end overhaul.

Start with posts 637, 662 and 663. Good pics and description.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:28 AM   #4438
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by xathor View Post

You gotta post pics if you do it in the front room,time honored way of doing things. Make sure the valve guide seals arent lifted first,bike can use lots of oil if those seals are leaking.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:34 AM   #4439
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,806
Couple of updates to throw in.

1) jesusgatos from this thread sent me a couple of his c-clamp outer handguard dealies to try. I was slow to install them, but am now a total convert. Basically, they take the handguard mounting bolts out of shear, so they don't bend and the handguard doesn't move. Very simple idea, very well executed- cool part!

Plus, everyone wants to know what the part is, so you get to explain about 237 times a day about them.

My new preferred ultimate handguard setup is:
BRP threaded inserts
GB C-clamps
Cycra probend handguards
BRP upper barclamp mounts

That's as bombproof as it gets.

2) I built the 570 motor and promptly had another financial priority, so I sold it (to an inmate, I'm sure he'll post here). What I can say for anyone considering it, is that it is clearly a LOT stronger than a 530 motor, not particularly vibey, and makes torque all over the place.

The SXS kit is pretty affordable for what you get, if I had a 530 that needed a piston, cylinder replate, and crank (pretty common state of affairs on a high hour bike), I'd go this way. It gives you all the parts you need brand new (piston, cylinder, gaskets, and the rod/ crank pin), probably for less than the standard stuff, especially when you then have a cylinder to sell on ebay to someone who wants a replate. Plus, all the parts are OEM quality, which is no small thing to me.

I wish I could have kept it. It was down to keeping the 505 XCF rally that I built for Tunisia, or building that into a rally, and the deciding factor was that I don't have the time for a build.

3) The old 450 XCW soldiers on. It's been ridden like a rented mule all spring, closing in on 200 hours, almost half of which were in Dakar, and has needed nothing but a single intake valve guide seal. Valves have never moved. Love that machine!

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:36 AM   #4440
Foot dragger
singletracker

Id like to try a 570 just for grins,a buddy put a Thumper 570 kit in his bike,lasted about 5 hours and split the piston right down the middle in line with the wrist pin. I would stay with OEM as well.