Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2013, 07:15 AM   #4456
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTOP View Post
I'm running the JD kit in mine too. Lately I've noticed some lean pops on decel, so I'm thinking I may need to adjust a little. What settings are you running?
It was jetted when I got it,I did lean the needle 1 step from their settings and Ive got the fuel screw turned in almost all the way so i do need to put in a leaner pilot jet at some point,it runs so good as is I havent messed with it.
I dont know the jet numbers right off hand,sorry.

(Epic rain happening here in nor cal,big singletrack ride going on tomorrow,the 200 comes out for that) Doesnt rain much here in June usually.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:31 AM   #4457
GR0NK
Got some screws loose!

Oddometer: 1,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by xathor View Post

Compression ring gap was 1.28mm ...

Thanks
Yeah it's past spec but these things will run strong even at 4mm.

Did you find the migration path of the oil?

Sean

Nullus Vereor ex Terra Incognita
GR0NK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:50 AM   #4458
xathor
Not actually Gnarly

Oddometer: 437
I'm assuming it was just burning it. I know that when I would rev it hard it would blow a little smoke. That's why I assumed it was the intake/exhaust valve seals. They actually looked great when I had the local KTM dealer pull the springs off. The mechanic said that the valves and everything look pretty much perfect with just a little bit of oil deposits on the back of the valve. I'm still replacing the seals just incase. I left the head there for them to clean and set the valve clearance with new shims. I also left the cylinder there for them to measure the bore, although it looks fine with only that minor scuff.

New 2010 style oil scraper and compression rings will take about 3 days to get here. Also ordered new base and compression gaskets.

The only discrepancies that I came across were the little plugs in the side of the head to pull the rocker arm rod out. Mine were a green rubber O-ring, the part that they had for that is a copper washer? They had them in stock.

I'm about to pull the piston off and go take it up there for them to check out. I gotta figure out how to get the dang clips off the wrist pin.
2008 KTM 450EXC-R (JD Jetted, Wossner, KTM hardparts farkles, AC10's, TT Goodies)
2008 Subaru STi (Cobb Stage 2)
xathor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:14 AM   #4459
GR0NK
Got some screws loose!

Oddometer: 1,711
Quote:
I'm assuming it was just burning it.
This motor is known for having oil migration issues. The crank and gearbox oil are separate but sometimes one starts dumping into the other. I don't have any bikes with this motor but this is well documented at KTMTalk in the XC4 section. Seems to me your motor is moving oil from the crank to the gearbox. The crank side doesn't hold a lot of oil so it could have ran low a few times and that's causing the premature wear on the cam components. Sometimes it's a bad case gasket which isn't expensive per se but requires that you split the cases to fix.

Sean

Nullus Vereor ex Terra Incognita
GR0NK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:16 AM   #4460
xathor
Not actually Gnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR0NK View Post
This motor is known for having oil migration issues. The crank and gearbox oil are separate but sometimes one starts dumping into the other. I don't have any bikes with this motor but this is well documented at KTMTalk in the XC4 section. Seems to me your motor is moving oil from the crank to the gearbox. The crank side doesn't hold a lot of oil so it could have ran low a few times and that's causing the premature wear on the cam components. Sometimes it's a bad case gasket which isn't expensive per se but requires that you split the cases to fix.

Sean
I thought about that but it didn't puke anything out of the hole to check the transmission fluid. The transmission fluid looks good and isn't over-full.
2008 KTM 450EXC-R (JD Jetted, Wossner, KTM hardparts farkles, AC10's, TT Goodies)
Old 06-25-2013, 04:18 PM   #4461
dirtplus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:

The only discrepancies that I came across were the little plugs in the side of the head to pull the rocker arm rod out. Mine were a green rubber O-ring, the part that they had for that is a copper washer? They had them in stock.
Here is the number for the o-rings. 0770110015 I dont think the copper washers will work.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:24 PM   #4462
xathor
Not actually Gnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtplus View Post
Here is the number for the o-rings. 0770110015 I dont think the copper washers will work.
Thanks!

I've been doing some research; I called the local KTM dealership and removed the compression and oil scraper rings from my order.

I've decided that I am going to go with an aftermarket piston.

I've been trying to find a Wossner since I remember reading that they were highly recommended, but I cannot find anyone who sells them other than http://www.niksindustries.com

Anyone have any recommendations on where to buy a Wossner piston for my 450EXC-R?
Old 06-25-2013, 07:53 PM   #4463
smacka
Tripper head

Oddometer: 42
Munn Racing can fix you up with a Wossner piston at the right price.
smacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:20 PM   #4464
xathor
Not actually Gnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by smacka View Post
Munn Racing can fix you up with a Wossner piston at the right price.
Thanks for the info. Just ordered a new Wossner piston and stator from them.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:41 AM   #4465
mbrick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Thanks for the info. Just ordered a new Wossner piston and stator from them.
Keep us posted on the rebuild!

Did you also look in the intake/exhaust ports and make sure the stems are clean? (in addition to what the dealer said) Replacing the valve stem seals is cheap and they have been known to be incorrectly installed.

Also check if your camshaft is already updated or the ADC was correct.
mbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:57 AM   #4466
canoli
human

Oddometer: 1,533
Looking at my next bike...perhaps

So I'm going to check out an 08, EXCR 530 tomorrow after work. Not sure on the total mileage or even the work history of the bike and was wondering if there is an easy way to check to see if it has the "standard" problems with the 08's or if it's one of the good ones. Specifically the dreaded oil leak in the engine problem & cam chain problem. I'll look for blue smoke and excessive rattling on start-up but beyond that, is there any way to tell?

Thanks,
Canoli
canoli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:43 AM   #4467
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by canoli View Post
So I'm going to check out an 08, EXCR 530 tomorrow after work. Not sure on the total mileage or even the work history of the bike and was wondering if there is an easy way to check to see if it has the "standard" problems with the 08's or if it's one of the good ones. Specifically the dreaded oil leak in the engine problem & cam chain problem. I'll look for blue smoke and excessive rattling on start-up but beyond that, is there any way to tell?

Thanks,
Canoli
I can't address the oil transfer or consumption issues, but bear in mind, it doesn't affect all of them, and I generally believe the internet blows things out of proportion. . . . that said, if it does or has had the issues, I hope the PO is straight up about them.

If the bike struggles to turn over, the cam may not have been udated and auto decompressor may be the backwards one. If you really care, bring an 8mm socket for the seat and tank, and a 10mm combination and socket and pull the cover off and have a look.

Listen for any cam chain rattle, in which case the cam chain tensioner is pooched. Here is a before and after, the after video is with a Dirt Tricks tensioner. This is a fairly extreme example, but the same muffled rattling of the chain can be heard if it isn't this bad.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:08 AM   #4468
xathor
Not actually Gnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrick View Post
Keep us posted on the rebuild!

Did you also look in the intake/exhaust ports and make sure the stems are clean? (in addition to what the dealer said) Replacing the valve stem seals is cheap and they have been known to be incorrectly installed.

Also check if your camshaft is already updated or the ADC was correct.
Yes. My head is currently at a local shop getting new valve guide seals and a general clean up. They only had one of the intakes in stock so I am waiting on parts anyways.

Does anyone have any comments on the size of my valve shims? I notice the valve shim calculator only has shims that are less than 3mm in size while all of mine are larger.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:22 AM   #4469
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,889
Quote:
Does anyone have any comments on the size of my valve shims? I notice the valve shim calculator only has shims that are less than 3mm in size while all of mine are larger.
KTM OEM parts finder shows them listed up to 3.20mm. Also check in with a Harley dealer as they have the same shim size on the Vrod as KTM, plus more sizes, although I have no idea how thick.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:34 AM   #4470
xathor
Not actually Gnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rod View Post
KT IM OEM parts finder shows them listed up to 3.20mm. Also check in with a Harley dealer as they have the same shim size on the Vrod as KTM, plus more sizes, although I have no idea how thick.
At that thickness should I be worried about the valves? What's the stock size? Valves are expensive!