Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2013, 11:16 AM   #4471
mbrick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rod View Post
If the bike struggles to turn over, the cam may not have been udated and auto decompressor may be the backwards one. If you really care, bring an 8mm socket for the seat and tank, and a 10mm combination and socket and pull the cover off and have a look.

I have tried repeatedly for KTM to replace the cam in my '08 EXCR. Through the local dealer it was denied. Through KTM NA they say the 2009 cam was just an "engineering improvement" and the 2008 was actually fine. And that they did not acknowledge any issues or replace 2008 cams. I know from plenty of write-ups this is not true. And anyone technical can look at it and see the spring is just shoved in an opening, and the proper hole is actually on the other side, among other signs. Anyone have any suggestions?

Canoli, don't let it be a deal breaker if the bike is nice, but just keep in mind it's around $180 for a new one.
mbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:21 AM   #4472
xathor
Not actually Gnarly

Oddometer: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrick View Post
Canoli, don't let it be a deal breaker if the bike is nice, but just keep in mind it's around $180 for a new one.
At the local KTM dealership I was showing the price to be $250 or there abouts.

My 2008 with factory parts has no problem with the electric or the kick starter. My auto decompression seems to work as intended. I did bring it up to the dealer to see if they could call KTM and figure out if it could be replaced.
2008 KTM 450EXC-R (JD Jetted, Wossner, KTM hardparts farkles, AC10's, TT Goodies)
2008 Subaru STi (Cobb Stage 2)
xathor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:26 AM   #4473
mbrick
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xathor View Post
At that thickness should I be worried about the valves? What's the stock size? Valves are expensive!
There is no specific stock size, the size required is used (as you see, yours are all different sizes. They do seem a little thicker than my 450, but don't worry about it until you can't adjust it any more.

You could get a new 3.15mm and get that one in spec. BUT judging by the size of that indentation, a new one around the same size you have now will be close. Also you should reinstall and check them once more after getting the head back.

I would also replace any that have a noticeable indentation though. It looks like that valve wore in enough that it was possibly contacting the top of the valve retainer?

Note the harley parts are cheaper and they have smaller increments. Edit: I believe the 10mm shims from the Buell 1125R/V-Rod only go up to 3mm thick.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:28 AM   #4474
xathor
Not actually Gnarly

Oddometer: 439
Once I reach the point of not being able to adjust them, what should I do then?

Do I replace the valve(s) or replace the head?

Can I stack shims?

The guy at the KTM dealership said the valve seats look great.

Maybe someone cut the valves down?
2008 KTM 450EXC-R (JD Jetted, Wossner, KTM hardparts farkles, AC10's, TT Goodies)
2008 Subaru STi (Cobb Stage 2)
xathor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:30 AM   #4475
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,883
Quote:
At that thickness should I be worried about the valves? What's the stock size? Valves are expensive!
I'm far from an expert, but if anything, valves recede into the head as they wear, which tightens clearances. in your case, the large shims are really only less than .3mm off what mine are, which means likely your stems are that much shorter than others. Shim it right, and bounce'r off the limiter! My valves are on the loose side, which would have me looking for the same shims as yours, but that is only .001", which is nothing I plan on losing sleep over. Maybe I have to ride it harder, then they'll tighten to spec. One more season of ice racing should do it. I don't even plan on looking in there again until I have running issues that may be attributed to valve clearances.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:37 AM   #4476
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,883
Quote:

My 2008 with factory parts has no problem with the electric or the kick starter. My auto decompression seems to work as intended. I did bring it up to the dealer to see if they could call KTM and figure out if it could be replaced.
My friend's '08 has the original backwards cam as well, and no starting issues whatsoever. They work, but maybe not as well as the '09 and up, but on his bike, at 250 hours, you'd never know the difference. If it works, leave it.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:45 PM   #4477
canoli
human

Oddometer: 1,490
Thanks guys for the help. When you say "trouble starting" what should be the key sound or thing that should tell me it's the auto decompression? I've read about the battery "issue" with this bike and I'm going to fathom a guess that this guy did not put a series 7 in his.

Again thanks for the info. I'll post pics of the walk-around later tonight.

Canoli
canoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:09 PM   #4478
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by canoli View Post
Thanks guys for the help. When you say "trouble starting" what should be the key sound or thing that should tell me it's the auto decompression?
Canoli
Like mentioned above, easy enough to take a peek at it. Symptoms will be that it is simply not working, so the compression/resistance of the motor may be too much for your leg (it still is for my bird leg) or the battery/starter motor to spin the crank fast enough to fire. Or maybe it will start in neutral, but not in gear (with the extra drag). Not a deal breaker in any case. Especially if it starts with the backwards one!

I actually profited from finding a year old '08 with 4 hours on it and dead batt due to backwards cam. My first dealer a few years ago said never heard of it, while the second one made a phone call and said NA told them too late for free labor, but they gave me cam for nothing.

(If plastic skidplate, pull it off and check the frame rails for damage.)

Good luck, awesome bike!

StuInFH screwed with this post 06-26-2013 at 02:17 PM
StuInFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:02 PM   #4479
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,405
just checked the valves clearances... 6,000 + miles, 215hrs. They still haven't moved.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:21 PM   #4480
fast4ward
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rod View Post
I'm far from an expert, but if anything, valves recede into the head as they wear, which tightens clearances. in your case, the large shims are really only less than .3mm off what mine are, which means likely your stems are that much shorter than others. Shim it right, and bounce'r off the limiter! My valves are on the loose side, which would have me looking for the same shims as yours, but that is only .001", which is nothing I plan on losing sleep over. Maybe I have to ride it harder, then they'll tighten to spec. One more season of ice racing should do it. I don't even plan on looking in there again until I have running issues that may be attributed to valve clearances.
Or it could be a build up of deposits on the valve seats causing the clearances to increase. If you've got the head off clean the seats and lap the valves with valve grinding compound.
fast4ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:20 PM   #4481
JTOP
Tree Top Flyer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
So I'm going to check out an 08, EXCR 530 tomorrow after work. Not sure on the total mileage or even the work history of the bike and was wondering if there is an easy way to check to see if it has the "standard" problems with the 08's or if it's one of the good ones. Specifically the dreaded oil leak in the engine problem & cam chain problem. I'll look for blue smoke and excessive rattling on start-up but beyond that, is there any way to tell?

Thanks,
Canoli
The oil transfer issue is a fairly easy and inexpensive fix too. Hodakaguy did a "how to" on the parts needed and exactly how to do it. I did it on my 09 so that I had all the new updated parts (2011) and used the metal Blais Racing oil gear. I didn't have any oil transfer issues, but just thought it was cheap insurance.
JTOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:56 AM   #4482
mbrick
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTOP View Post
The oil transfer issue is a fairly easy and inexpensive fix too. Hodakaguy did a "how to" on the parts needed and exactly how to do it. I did it on my 09 so that I had all the new updated parts (2011) and used the metal Blais Racing oil gear. I didn't have any oil transfer issues, but just thought it was cheap insurance.
I think you are referring to the oil pump update he did. I think the primary goal was the new pump gears that have a lesser chance of stripping. It resolves the possible transfer issues by the new pump cover oring?
Old 06-27-2013, 03:36 AM   #4483
canoli
human

Oddometer: 1,490
Wow!!

So I just got back from the test ride, and to be honest, this is the first bike that has ever scared the living crap out of me. 3rd gear power wheelies and a very tall seat. Overall it was in OK shape. Solid 7 out of 10. Some cosmetic issues ( torn seat missing bolts for the signals etc..) No real problems starting ( beyond a dead battery that is only 4 months old) and 6800 total Km's.

Nothing specific but there was something about the bike that didn't seem right.

Think I'm going to pass on it for now.

Thanks for the help and advice guys.

Canoli
canoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:50 AM   #4484
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,410
Quote:
So I'm going to check out an 08, EXCR 530 tomorrow after work. Not sure on the total mileage or even the work history of the bike and was wondering if there is an easy way to check to see if it has the "standard" problems with the 08's or if it's one of the good ones. Specifically the dreaded oil leak in the engine problem & cam chain problem. I'll look for blue smoke and excessive rattling on start-up but beyond that, is there any way to tell?

Thanks,
Canoli
Like everything on the internet,any issues with a bike get blown up bigger then life,and become urban myth almost.

A friend rides an 08 450,hes got 5000+ miles on it and its been as reliable as any japanese bike,no problems of any sort.
He doesnt spend time reading disaster threads on the computer so he doesnt worry so much about it.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:43 AM   #4485
mbrick
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
So I just got back from the test ride, and to be honest, this is the first bike that has ever scared the living crap out of me. 3rd gear power wheelies and a very tall seat.
Sounds awesome, 3rd gear wheelies and all. It looks like it has a tall seat. Stock ones are cheap...

Maybe next time, now you have ridden one and know what they are like though. What was the asking price?