Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2013, 04:33 PM   #4726
windyhill
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Johnson View Post
Have any of you used the Blais Racing jet kit. A customer of mine swears it is the best money he ever spent. He had a JD kit and says the Blais is night and day difference.
Wanted to see if someone had a similar experience before I pull the trigger.

Sent with this high tech chingadera!

Can't offer a comparison to the JD kit, but I have been running the Blais kit since my bike was new in 10'. Very pleased with it.
windyhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:04 PM   #4727
mflora98ss
Dual Sportin'

Oddometer: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Johnson View Post
Have any of you used the Blais Racing jet kit. A customer of mine swears it is the best money he ever spent. He had a JD kit and says the Blais is night and day difference.
Wanted to see if someone had a similar experience before I pull the trigger.

Sent with this high tech chingadera!
Does anybody know how the Blais kit differs from the JD kit? Just wondering if they have different jet sizes.
mflora98ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:31 PM   #4728
Bungholio
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by mflora98ss View Post
Does anybody know how the Blais kit differs from the JD kit? Just wondering if they have different jet sizes.
Probably the custom tapered needles in the JD kit.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Bungholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:46 PM   #4729
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,818
Quote:
I dont know the difference,but,the JD jet kit in my 530 works great,gets good mileage,fires up easily,warms up quick and off it goes.
Nice snappy power with no popping or problems.

Probably some jet kit installers dont take the time to dial things in,who ever jetted mine did good.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:07 AM   #4730
mflora98ss
Dual Sportin'

Oddometer: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
I dont know the difference,but,the JD jet kit in my 530 works great,gets good mileage,fires up easily,warms up quick and off it goes.
What kind of fuel mileage are you getting? I'm getting around 30 mpg with the JD kit. I'm not sure if that's good or bad...she really rips though.
mflora98ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:00 AM   #4731
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
What kind of fuel mileage are you getting? I'm getting around 30 mpg with the JD kit. I'm not sure if that's good or bad...she really rips though.
If I can refrain from doing wheelies and broadsliding every minute or so I get mid 40's on mileage.
Its a hot rod,not a mileage machine.

To me its just a dirtbike with a plate, and that's how I tend to ride dirtbikes that make enough power to play with.
But it really doesnt do much worse then low 40's most all the time.

I need to put 1 size smaller pilot jet in as I have the fuel screw set on full lean,it runs so well as is I havent made time to mess with it.

The end of the muffler never has any black soot showing inside it so its not overly rich at most rpm ranges,it seems like most bigger 4 stroke singles my buddies own either pop or run kinda rich,who ever did the jets on mine got it pretty good,it runs about the same at higher altitude.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:02 AM   #4732
Bungholio
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 600
Quote:
Same as foot dragger here, mid 40's all the time all around riding.
Bungholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:29 AM   #4733
braymond
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:

Average about 45 mpg all around riding with the jd kit. Never has been lower than that. Like Foot Dragger said, "its a dirtbike with a plate" so ride it like you stole it. Fuel + tires = $$$$=FUN= priceless
braymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:25 AM   #4734
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by braymond View Post
Average about 45 mpg all around riding with the jd kit. Never has been lower than that. Like Foot Dragger said, "its a dirtbike with a plate" so ride it like you stole it. Fuel + tires = $$$$=FUN= priceless
I had mine out in Nevada recently,I sat back and let it run up a slightly uphill sandy straight road...........I look down its going 90 and still pulling good. Jeechrise they really dont lack for pulling power!
Mine is jet kit only with Q muffler. 14/50 gearing.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:25 PM   #4735
bigborefan
Making new friends

Oddometer: 1,533
I run some jetting specs I got from the KTM dealer in Santa Cruz CA. I think I am a little fat, but she runs real nice, starts easily, no issues. I got a big tank and don't do any epic out west rides, so I am content with it.

“Anyone who believes in indefinite growth in anything physical, on a physically finite planet, is either mad or an economist.” -- Kenneth E. Boulding
bigborefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:45 PM   #4736
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 1,083
Jet kit

I did Not by JD jet kit I call Jeff Slavens he sold me a couple jets it was a total of about five dollars and in Colorado the ktm ran perfect from 6k to 13 k. Im from florida.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:16 PM   #4737
antpatterson
XR650L_High_Runner

Oddometer: 378
need some help here guys. My 08 450 xcrw just had a full rebuild and was running until some smoke appeared. My mechanic traced it the crank shaft seal, he installed a new one the same way as the old which is also the one that has failed. question is should the seal have the inner spring facing toward the bike or the clutch cover? just wanting to check because I know some seals came from factory backwards. the one seal was facing with spring part inside the engine so he installed a new one which failed so now I got another new one waiting to figure this out.
XR80r
2008 XCRW450
antpatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:58 PM   #4738
cactusone
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by antpatterson View Post
need some help here guys. My 08 450 xcrw just had a full rebuild and was running until some smoke appeared. My mechanic traced it the crank shaft seal, he installed a new one the same way as the old which is also the one that has failed. question is should the seal have the inner spring facing toward the bike or the clutch cover? just wanting to check because I know some seals came from factory backwards. the one seal was facing with spring part inside the engine so he installed a new one which failed so now I got another new one waiting to figure this out.

Spring faces the crank. I went to the 2009+ seal on my 08 after I replaced 2x, now no prob's. Some say it won't fit correctly but 60 hrs and works great, the 08 is pretty poor if you ask me the 09 is thicker.
cactusone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:12 AM   #4739
antpatterson
XR650L_High_Runner

Oddometer: 378
So I have the bike back in my hands and got another issue. My mechanic said he did some research and found out that the crankcase breather hose is why oil is pushing back into my carb and to disconnect it. My dad and I have disconnected the hose from the crankcase and left the carb running to the top of the engine together with the t-joint blocked off. Now we have the hose from the crank blocked somewhat so that oil can get out because it keeps wanting to push out, is this normal? Is it because too much oil is in the engine?
XR80r
2008 XCRW450
antpatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:03 PM   #4740
dualindalton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
shock spring help

I am ready to replace the rear shock spring and need a little guidance on what spring rate to go with. For reference I weigh-in at 190lbs, add riding gear that includes a camelback full of water adds another 15lbs and last are my wolfman saddle bags and tail bags with some tools and a few other essentials which puts another 20lbs for a total of 225lbs.
Is anybody weighing/carrying about the same load that could recommend a spring rate? I have looked at the race-tech site but their calculator only ask for rider weight without gear. Based on that it suggests going to the next heavier spring rate than stock.
Also does anyone have any opinions on straight rate vs. progressive springs? At 55 years old I'm no longer in race mode but do have those "moments" where twisting the throttle and acting like I'm 17 again do arise. I'm getting tired of having to straighten out my tag from bottoming out when the fun factor kicks in.
dualindalton is offline   Reply With Quote