Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2013, 07:03 PM   #4741
fast4ward
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
If you take a look at the RaceTech site, they have a calculator that figures out what spring rate you need based on your bike, your physical characteristics and the kind of riding you do.
fast4ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:39 AM   #4742
dualindalton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4ward View Post
If you take a look at the RaceTech site, they have a calculator that figures out what spring rate you need based on your bike, your physical characteristics and the kind of riding you do.
I used the calculator on the RaaceTech site. Just wondering how or if someone would need to compensate for the added weight of riding gear and any other extra weight to determine the spring rate since the calculator asks for rider weight "without gear".
Maybe someone else will chime in and tell what criteria they use when choosing a new / heavier spring.
dualindalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:46 AM   #4743
antpatterson
XR650L_High_Runner

Oddometer: 386
Any advice on the crank case hose blowing oil out would be helpful. I disconnected it from the carb and it is just pushing oil now minus fowling the plug. Is it too much oil or something else?
XR80r
2008 XCRW450
antpatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:08 AM   #4744
xathor
Not actually Gnarly

Oddometer: 439
Just thinking about it logically... The only reason the hose is there is to evacuate the oily vapors. The oily vapors are there because of blow-by. The only oil that gets up there is from the oil squirter that lubes the camshaft and any oil that walks up the cam chain, minus oil that accumulates because of the blow by vapors.

If you have a little oil coming out of the vent, completely normal in almost all four stroke motors. A lot of oil means you over filled it or you have a ton of blow by.
2008 KTM 450EXC-R (JD Jetted, Wossner, KTM hardparts farkles, AC10's, TT Goodies)
2008 Subaru STi (Cobb Stage 2)
xathor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:07 PM   #4745
Bungholio
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by dualindalton View Post
I used the calculator on the RaaceTech site. Just wondering how or if someone would need to compensate for the added weight of riding gear and any other extra weight to determine the spring rate since the calculator asks for rider weight "without gear".
Maybe someone else will chime in and tell what criteria they use when choosing a new / heavier spring.
There is enough preload adjustment after you get the correct spring, to compensate for gear, unless you are carrying an 80lb pack on your back all the time. Riding gear weight, maybe 10lbs, is compensated when you set sag with gear on.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Bungholio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:02 PM   #4746
fast4ward
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungholio View Post
There is enough preload adjustment after you get the correct spring, to compensate for gear, unless you are carrying an 80lb pack on your back all the time. Riding gear weight, maybe 10lbs, is compensated when you set sag with gear on.

exactly!
fast4ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:27 PM   #4747
cactusone
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by antpatterson View Post
Any advice on the crank case hose blowing oil out would be helpful. I disconnected it from the carb and it is just pushing oil now minus fowling the plug. Is it too much oil or something else?
Do not fill past 3/4's up the site glass.
cactusone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:08 PM   #4748
dirtdiver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,983
fuze?

Guys, does the 530 have a main fuse? I was riding my bike today in the rain and all of a sudden my electrical died. The battery shows fully charged but I get no lights or starter.

I looked at that little fuse block near the battery and those two 10a fuses were good. I know that there has got to be something other than those small 10amp fuses.

Any help?
dirtdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:40 PM   #4749
smacka
Tripper head

Oddometer: 42
The manual shows only the 10 amp fuse to which you refer.
If that is okay can I suggest that you check the earth strap from the negative battery terminal.

Later,
Smacka
smacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:56 AM   #4750
dirtdiver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by smacka View Post
The manual shows only the 10 amp fuse to which you refer.
If that is okay can I suggest that you check the earth strap from the negative battery terminal.

Later,
Smacka
That is a good idea. Also i will recheck the fuse connectors.
dirtdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:57 PM   #4751
dualindalton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungholio View Post

Makes sense....thanks for the clarification.
dualindalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:32 PM   #4752
Beardoge
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 363
Hello everyone I just recently purchased a 09 530 EXC with only 400 miles on it. While I'm certainly not looking for a oil debate.
But is there a consensus on what oil is generally used.

The previous owner Had a synthetic blend Castrol 20w50 in the engine and some sort of 80weight in the trans.
But the owners manual says to use a 10w40 in both the engine and the trans is this what I should use ?

Also the owners manual says to use 95 octane gas but I'm not sure it that's a European number or not, the best that's around here is 93 with occasional 91 which should be good enough.

And is there any mods that need to be done? It has a fan kit with overflow bottle, skid plate, desmogged, dj jet kit, and a ktm by fmf muffler on it and it seems to run good maybe a bit rich but good enough I suppose.

One more what's one of the better websites to get KTM parts off ?

Thank you for any replies, looking forward to learning all about these bikes which I have never owned before.
Beardoge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:52 PM   #4753
Hodakaguy
NorthWest Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 2,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardoge View Post
Hello everyone I just recently purchased a 09 530 EXC with only 400 miles on it. While I'm certainly not looking for a oil debate.
But is there a consensus on what oil is generally used.

The previous owner Had a synthetic blend Castrol 20w50 in the engine and some sort of 80weight in the trans.
But the owners manual says to use a 10w40 in both the engine and the trans is this what I should use ?

Also the owners manual says to use 95 octane gas but I'm not sure it that's a European number or not, the best that's around here is 93 with occasional 91 which should be good enough.

And is there any mods that need to be done? It has a fan kit with overflow bottle, skid plate, desmogged, dj jet kit, and a ktm by fmf muffler on it and it seems to run good maybe a bit rich but good enough I suppose.

One more what's one of the better websites to get KTM parts off ?

Thank you for any replies, looking forward to learning all about these bikes which I have never owned before.
Pretty much run whatever gives you that warm fuzzy feeling. With that said I run Mobil 1 15W-50 for high performance engines (has the small race flags in the corner of the bottle) in both the engine and the trans. Ran this oil for thousands of miles. Another plus is its available at some Walmarts in a 5 qt jug for $22!

Hodakaguy
And Then There Were Four - OR RR: CLICK HERE
My VW Syncro Westy Build Thread: CLICK HERE
Hodakaguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:13 AM   #4754
Stobie
Mr. Motivated

Oddometer: 1,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by dualindalton View Post
The Race Tech spring calculator seems to give numbers pretty far toward the stiff side of the scale. Some people would say "off" the stiff side of the scale.

Enduro Engineering's spring chart (link) is pretty much in-line with the recommendations of the tuners around this area.

Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them.

-Albert Einstein
Stobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:53 AM   #4755
ChrisK7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodakaguy View Post
Pretty much run whatever gives you that warm fuzzy feeling. With that said I run Mobil 1 15W-50 for high performance engines (has the small race flags in the corner of the bottle) in both the engine and the trans. Ran this oil for thousands of miles. Another plus is its available at some Walmarts in a 5 qt jug for $22!

Hodakaguy
I agree with Hodakaguy. Pretty much what I've been doing with mine.