Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2013, 07:52 AM   #4756
Bungholio
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stobie View Post
The Race Tech spring calculator seems to give numbers pretty far toward the stiff side of the scale. Some people would say "off" the stiff side of the scale.

Enduro Engineering's spring chart (link) is pretty much in-line with the recommendations of the tuners around this area.
I had the racetech recommend Springs installed and am perfectly satisfied with the results, 180lb, intermediate trail rider. Progressive rear spring and straight rate front. Be honest about your skill level and type of riding.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Bungholio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:11 AM   #4757
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodakaguy View Post
Pretty much run whatever gives you that warm fuzzy feeling. With that said I run Mobil 1 15W-50 for high performance engines (has the small race flags in the corner of the bottle) in both the engine and the trans. Ran this oil for thousands of miles. Another plus is its available at some Walmarts in a 5 qt jug for $22!

Hodakaguy
i wanna try some of this in my RFS motor, but none of my Walmarts carry it... must not come to fla. or something.... in auto stores, it's $2 cheaper than the 10w40 Racing, which works great in my bike so it's not the dealio .... i'm gonna keep looking, cuz' i'm a cheapa$$$, but i still like my motor....
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:15 AM   #4758
davesupreme
grand poobah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungholio View Post
I had the racetech recommend Springs installed and am perfectly satisfied with the results, 180lb, intermediate trail rider. Progressive rear spring and straight rate front. Be honest about your skill level and type of riding.

i dunno... i looked at the EE chart, and it looks pretty soft... they say 8.4 for a 200lb rider.... i had 8.8's and it was choppered out, no way i was gonna get the right sag....

i'm about 195 nekkid, got 10.0's with the adjustable caps 3 turns in, 2.5 wt. Silkolene RSF fluid, and it's pretty sweet.... but i ain't riding in alotta real technical rocks kinda stuff...
Old 08-27-2013, 05:48 PM   #4759
Beardoge
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
So am I supposed to run 10w40 in the transmission also ?
Beardoge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:00 PM   #4760
Hodakaguy
NorthWest Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 2,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardoge View Post
Yep. Run the same oil in the trans and engine side.

Hodakaguy
And Then There Were Four - OR RR: CLICK HERE
My VW Syncro Westy Build Thread: CLICK HERE
Hodakaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:27 AM   #4761
bigboyxl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
since the oil discussion is on I would like to ask if anybody used this one: http://www.belray.com/bel-ray-works-...-4t-engine-oil
Nomada panniers, Holan crashbars, Remus silencers etc. Worldwide shipping. Better deals for ADVriders
bigboyxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:00 AM   #4762
Stobie
Mr. Motivated

Oddometer: 1,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungholio View Post

Yep, I filled out the form accurately: old, bog-slow, 6'4" and 235#, and it spat out a spring rate of .532 kg/mm, which is approaching Super Enduro territory. The stiffest spring they offer is .52. The recommended rear is a P25, and I'm not sure what the range is on that one, but it's one of their stiffer ones.

I've always felt like the Western suspension tuners' setups were more high-speed oriented than Eastern tuners' setups, and stiffer springs would make sense at higher speeds. You guys in the West are probably running 2 gears higher than we are on average. I rarely get above 3rd gear unless I'm between trails, and spend a lot of time on the seat and ducking to keep from getting clotheslined off the bike by tree branches. The trails are so tight, a lot of guys around here cut their bars down to 28". I responded to Dalton's post largely because he is in the Georgia mountains, and is probably riding the same kind of terrain as I am.

FWIW, I'm running .48 kg/mm up front and FCW-3 (8.0-10.5 progressive) in the rear, based on my local dealer's recommendation, which mirror Factory Connection's recs. I bought the bike used with .46/P15, with Race Tech Gold Valves. The fork was awful, so I had both ends re-valved by FTi Racing. He stuck with my dealer's springs, and replaced the Race Tech parts with stock WP stuff and his valving. The bike was absolutely transformed. I may someday decide that I need a damper, but it's at the bottom of my wish list now. It is plush and comfortable, and tracks straight through all kinds of trail junk.

Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them.

-Albert Einstein
Stobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:55 AM   #4763
davesupreme
grand poobah

there's alotta voodoo in spring preload on these bikes.... we're just talking about overall spring numbers, but it's the preload that actually gets you a spring rate at a certain spring compression point.... getting your sag numbers w/a stiffer spring w/less preload will give you a nicer ride at the first part of the stroke.... those adjustable fork caps on the KTM's really do something... go on a ride w/a 24mm wrench, and you'll see....

i ride in alotta fla sugar sand, and if your fork dives w/a weak spring, turns become very adventurous.....

i dunno about the variable shock springs.... racetech/Paul Thede seems to think they're the bomb, but if they were, why didn't the KTM engineers put them on to begin with?.. that PDS shock ain't exactly new..... i never tried one, so i could be totally wrong, too.....

i do know that there's alotta voodoo in rear sag, and if you're all choppered out, it ain't gonna turn for shit....rear end squats, and your front end gets high, and THERE'S THAT TREE..... it's just that the non-linkage design is really sensitive to spring rate, and 10lbs is supposed to matter.... when you get the right spring, one turn on that adjusting collar is huge.....
Old 08-28-2013, 08:16 AM   #4764
rurman
n00b

Oddometer: 2
530 Springs

I'm using a 8.4 in the rear and .48 up front on my '09 530 and get just the right sag (and with very little preload) for my weight of 195 (+ 25lbs of gear/tools/water).

Hope this helps you get yours figured out.

Ron
rurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:50 AM   #4765
Bungholio
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 518
Quote:
Yep, I filled out the form accurately: old, bog-slow, 6'4" and 235#, and it spat out a spring rate of .532 kg/mm, which is approaching Super Enduro territory. The stiffest spring they offer is .52. The recommended rear is a P25, and I'm not sure what the range is on that one, but it's one of their stiffer ones.

I've always felt like the Western suspension tuners' setups were more high-speed oriented than Eastern tuners' setups, and stiffer springs would make sense at higher speeds. You guys in the West are probably running 2 gears higher than we are on average. I rarely get above 3rd gear unless I'm between trails, and spend a lot of time on the seat and ducking to keep from getting clotheslined off the bike by tree branches. The trails are so tight, a lot of guys around here cut their bars down to 28". I responded to Dalton's post largely because he is in the Georgia mountains, and is probably riding the same kind of terrain as I am.

FWIW, I'm running .48 kg/mm up front and FCW-3 (8.0-10.5 progressive) in the rear, based on my local dealer's recommendation, which mirror Factory Connection's recs. I bought the bike used with .46/P15, with Race Tech Gold Valves. The fork was awful, so I had both ends re-valved by FTi Racing. He stuck with my dealer's springs, and replaced the Race Tech parts with stock WP stuff and his valving. The bike was absolutely transformed. I may someday decide that I need a damper, but it's at the bottom of my wish list now. It is plush and comfortable, and tracks straight through all kinds of trail junk.
Western tuners may be more high speed oriented, especially since RT is in California-desert oriented riding. But I am riding Western Washington and most of the trails here are hilly, rutty, rooty, and muddy (when it rains) and they tend to twist and turn alot; pretty much like most Eastern trails and I'm happy with the results I got from RT. I have geared down to 13/49 to 15/49 depending on where I ride mostly. 13/49 for trail work puts me in 2nd and 3rd most of the time, 14/49 for all around unless I anticipate steeper and tighter trails and 15/49 for mostly road riding-either hiway or fire roads. I didn't change any damping from stock-just new oil and bushings and springs in front forks, and oil, bushings, spring, and bladder kit in rear shock. Most changes were to eliminate any stiction. I have just recently installed a steering damper from Motosportz and am pretty happy with its functioning.

Bungholio screwed with this post 08-28-2013 at 11:33 AM
Bungholio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:03 AM   #4766
Beardoge
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
Quote:
Yep. Run the same oil in the trans and engine side.

Hodakaguy
Thanks hodaka it just says to use gear oil but doesnt really specify what to use.
Beardoge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:35 AM   #4767
Hodakaguy
NorthWest Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 2,014
What are people running for aluminum skid plates? I've aways ran the Works Connection units on my 530's and absolutely love them....unfortunatly they are no longer in production so I need to pick a different one. Any front runners for fit/coverage?

Thanks

Hodakaguy
And Then There Were Four - OR RR: CLICK HERE
My VW Syncro Westy Build Thread: CLICK HERE
Hodakaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:53 PM   #4768
dualindalton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
The Race Tech spring calculator seems to give numbers pretty far toward the stiff side of the scale. Some people would say "off" the stiff side of the scale.

Enduro Engineering's spring chart (link) is pretty much in-line with the recommendations of the tuners around this area.
New spring is on the way. I went with the 7.6 per the EE recommendations. Thanks for the link.
dualindalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:38 PM   #4769
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardoge View Post
In a pinch,you can look in the manual that came with the bike,it will tell you many things. My 530 manual doesnt say gear oil for the trans which surprised me.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:39 PM   #4770
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,640
Quote:
What are people running for aluminum skid plates? I've aways ran the Works Connection units on my 530's and absolutely love them....unfortunatly they are no longer in production so I need to pick a different one. Any front runners for fit/coverage?

Thanks

Hodakaguy
I have used the Flatland Racing one since day one....no issues other then sound reflection.
An Ebay deal came up and I got the factory KTM resin plate for the cost of shipping so I'm running that right now.....

Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote