Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2013, 06:36 PM   #4771
resqd1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michhub View Post
I have used the Flatland Racing one since day one....no issues other then sound reflection.
An Ebay deal came up and I got the factory KTM resin plate for the cost of shipping so I'm running that right now.....

I looked all over for a works connection one too, but the Resin Factory one is working awesome for me.
resqd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:38 PM   #4772
Hodakaguy
NorthWest Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 2,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by resqd1 View Post
I looked all over for a works connection one too, but the Resin Factory one is working awesome for me.
I have the KTM hard parts resin skid plate on the bike now, I ride a lot of rocks and really want a aluminum plate to protect the frame from hard hits.

Hodakaguy
And Then There Were Four - OR RR: CLICK HERE
My VW Syncro Westy Build Thread: CLICK HERE
Hodakaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:21 PM   #4773
resqd1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodakaguy View Post
I have the KTM hard parts resin skid plate on the bike now, I ride a lot of rocks and really want a aluminum plate to protect the frame from hard hits.

Hodakaguy
Understandable, the best of luck in your search, Maybe someone will offer one up to you over me because of the help you have given to all of us. I had to give up on my search, I even tried talking with Works about it to no avail
resqd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:15 PM   #4774
Hodakaguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by resqd1 View Post
Understandable, the best of luck in your search, Maybe someone will offer one up to you over me because of the help you have given to all of us. I had to give up on my search, I even tried talking with Works about it to no avail
That's funny I called and emailed Works today trying to get them to make me one :-). They told me they stopped production of them because they weren't very popular! Hmmmm.

I'll probably just snag a EE or Flatlands unit for now. May even make my own if I don't eventually find another works plate.

Hodakaguy
Old 08-28-2013, 10:17 PM   #4775
Country Doc
Wanderer

Oddometer: 2,647
Quote:

Hodakaguy
I've beat up my KTM plastic skid plate quite substantially with no issues at all. I definitely prefer it to my old aluminum EE one. So quick on/off, seems totally rugged, quieter, light, etc. I have well over 100 hours on mine with no issues.

dc
Country Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:41 AM   #4776
mbrick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Doc View Post
I've beat up my KTM plastic skid plate quite substantially with no issues at all. I definitely prefer it to my old aluminum EE one. So quick on/off, seems totally rugged, quieter, light, etc. I have well over 100 hours on mine with no issues.

dc
Same, only change I made was drill 2 holes for a safety zip tie near the quick turn fastener. It doesn't really click into place too securely and I didn't want to lose it into the rear tire on the trail.
mbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:13 AM   #4777
Stobie
Mr. Motivated

Oddometer: 1,853
Quote:
That's funny I called and emailed Works today trying to get them to make me one :-). They told me they stopped production of them because they weren't very popular! Hmmmm.

I'll probably just snag a EE or Flatlands unit for now. May even make my own if I don't eventually find another works plate.

Hodakaguy
Do you know the available aluminum plates well enough to recognize them on sight? See if you can tell what this is on my bike, as it sat the day I brought it home (don't laugh):

(Click here to see huge original)

I don't know what brand it is, but it's in the attic right now. I replaced it with the quick-release plastic HardParts plate. If you want it, maybe we can work out a swap.

Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them.

-Albert Einstein
Stobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:59 AM   #4778
Hodakaguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stobie View Post
Do you know the available aluminum plates well enough to recognize them on sight? See if you can tell what this is on my bike, as it sat the day I brought it home (don't laugh):

(Click here to see huge original)

I don't know what brand it is, but it's in the attic right now. I replaced it with the quick-release plastic HardParts plate. If you want it, maybe we can work out a swap.
Pm Sent :-)

Hodakaguy
Old 08-29-2013, 05:13 AM   #4779
Hodakaguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Doc View Post

dc
Yeah it's probably just a mental thing wanting an aluminum plate as I know of several people who ride with the resin plate as well with no issues. I thought about trying a TM design plastic plate but they don't make them for the 530 .

Hodakaguy
Old 08-29-2013, 05:14 AM   #4780
burque magoo
master of disaster....

Oddometer: 5,068
Quote:
What are people running for aluminum skid plates? I've aways ran the Works Connection units on my 530's and absolutely love them....unfortunatly they are no longer in production so I need to pick a different one. Any front runners for fit/coverage?

Thanks

Hodakaguy
I'm using the aluminum skid plate from Ricochet racing:

http://www.ricochetoffroad.com/store/page424.html

burque magoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:09 AM   #4781
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,784
Quote:
Yeah it's probably just a mental thing wanting an aluminum plate as I know of several people who ride with the resin plate as well with no issues.
I'm with Country Doc on this one, I found the aluminum plate to be a real PITA to refit after the first big hit, and they kind of "stick" to rocks it seemed like. The KTM Hardparts plastic one glides over stuff, comes on and off in seconds, weighs nothing, and has done a perfect job of protecting my bikes for cumulatively hundreds of hours.

The best aluminum one I found was the Guard-It from Adventure Spec in the UK. The advantage is that it has a substantial frame it leaves when you remove the plate, so it's very easy to refit.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:01 AM   #4782
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,059
Plastic all the way. I've had my rails dented despite the aluminum skidders on other KTMs & Huskys. So far, knock wood, my 2009 EXC has none, not that they seem to matter anyway.

I would think the plastic might prevent dents more anyway by transmitting less thru them. If that concerned, try a strip of thin foam between the rails/plate to absorb hits more. I'd try more "give" rather than a stiffer, harder material.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:37 AM   #4783
Hodakaguy

Maybe I'll just give the plastic plate a go at it for a while then and see how it does. Thanks for the feedback.

Hodakaguy
Old 08-29-2013, 05:47 PM   #4784
J.Johnson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
I have the carbon fiber. It has worked out pretty good for me. I do have a nice dent on the bottom of the frame. But I would have got it with any skid plate. The Rock was HUGE.
I got mine from a shop that had it on the shelf for a year. So I got it at a considerable discount.

Sent with this high tech chingadera!
Old 08-29-2013, 05:52 PM   #4785
mflora98ss
Dual Sportin'

Oddometer: 396
I'm rocking the stock plastic KTM skid plate as well. At first I worried about it not being heavy duty enough, but after a few times bottoming out, the skid plate nor the frame show any worse for the wear. Plus it takes two seconds to get it off after a ride to clean.
mflora98ss is offline   Reply With Quote