Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2014, 04:07 AM   #5461
bkoz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypermofo View Post
My kickstand failed the other day (nearly ate dirt standing still). No big surprise i guess given the experience others have had i should have known better than to sit on the bike with the kickstand down in soft sand...

Now on the the best part - the bolt didn't sheer like others (i must have gotten one out of the super strong bin) and instead the nipple that sticks out sheared. I can't believe the bolt that holds the stand isn't long enough to go past the nipple and to the bottom of the bolt hole??? I guess they saved a couple tenth's of a gram in weight with the shorter bolt.

Ok, so now to the fun part, any suggestions on how to remedy this? It seems impossible to weld that piece back on... So far the best option i've come up with is to grind the frame flat and machine a sleeve to go inside the stand.

Here's a pic... would love someone creative ideas or "this is how i fixed it" help:
Fab a new sleeve with the same OD/ID's but longer. Drill out the broken stud + frame to accept the longer sleeve. Have the sleeve welded to the frame from the backside.
bkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 04:56 AM   #5462
bkoz
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodakaguy View Post
Well I received the 2012 500 rocker shafts a few days ago and finally got the chance to install them and compare them with the shafts out of my 530. They measured out the exact same but do have a new thin flat strip machined into the top of them. I also modified them a bit to get better more oil flow to the rocker arms.

Link to the How To here: CLICK HERE

Hodakaguy
Another great how to. My new rocker shafts are on order but I am still at work and haven't installed them yet.

I wonder how many rocker arm failures are related to oil burners/oil quality. The first thing to go in a low oil situation is the top end. Oil quality/overly extended oil changes could be part to the issues too. Just like VW and their TDI camshaft failures.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:57 AM   #5463
Beardoge
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
I was going to replace the piston and rings with a wossner kit for my 09 530. The kits come with 94.96 - 97 - 98 size pistons. At a 12.5 compression ratio

Does anybody know the stock size piston as my book only says 95MM. And do you think that a 12.5 to 1 is a little too high over the 11.9 to 1 my book says.. I ride into areas that sometimes only have 87 but figure if I ride easy (half throttle) I should be okay with 87.

What do you guys think.
Beardoge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:07 AM   #5464
Hodakaguy
NorthWest Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 2,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkoz View Post
Another great how to. My new rocker shafts are on order but I am still at work and haven't installed them yet.

I wonder how many rocker arm failures are related to oil burners/oil quality. The first thing to go in a low oil situation is the top end. Oil quality/overly extended oil changes could be part to the issues too. Just like VW and their TDI camshaft failures.

Yeah I'm sure that plays into it heavily as well. I try to religiously keep the oil fresh in my bike, figure that's on the cheap side of keeping it happy

Hodakaguy
And Then There Were Four - OR RR: CLICK HERE
My VW Syncro Westy Build Thread: CLICK HERE
Hodakaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:09 AM   #5465
Hodakaguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardoge View Post
I was going to replace the piston and rings with a wossner kit for my 09 530. The kits come with 94.96 - 97 - 98 size pistons. At a 12.5 compression ratio

Does anybody know the stock size piston as my book only says 95MM. And do you think that a 12.5 to 1 is a little too high over the 11.9 to 1 my book says.. I ride into areas that sometimes only have 87 but figure if I ride easy (half throttle) I should be okay with 87.

What do you guys think.
You need to get the jug off the bike and measure it before ordering the piston. I have a friend running the Wossner in his 530 and it runs great on regular 87

Hodakaguy
Old 01-26-2014, 11:12 AM   #5466
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,494
Thumper Racing 570 kit is a great choice if the top end is tired. If you need to go down to the crank the 610 is AMAZING and you can merge the sumps while you are there anyway.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:14 AM   #5467
Hodakaguy

Installed the new GatosBros Pinchy-Clamps on the 530 this morning. Pretty cool design that should help in preventing the hand guards from rotating in a crash. With the Pinchy-Clamps you still use the inner clamps provided with the hand guards and then the Pinchy-Clamps also clamp on to the outer part of the bars....giving you twice the clamping force to keep the hand guards in place.

Picture of my Fastway hand guards with the GatosBros C-clamps on the ends.

And a comparison between the C-clamps and the Pinchy-Clamps. You can see the Alan bolt on the Pinchy-Clamp used to clamp it to the bars.

And installed. Should make the hand guards nice and solid!

Hodakaguy
Old 01-26-2014, 11:20 AM   #5468
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 3,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicks View Post
Tried finding a Kibblewhite valve + spring kit for the 530Exc on their website but all they have is for the RFS bikes.

Any help ?
anybody ?
Vicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 04:32 PM   #5469
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,290
I have the Gatos Bros underbar stabilizer mount (and 10mm riser). It's incredible / a work of art. And very well thought out in terms of adjustability, etc...

More photos here http://andreshoumatoff.smugmug.com/M...ys/i-ZvJqv5C/A

I'd have their clamps too but I have HDB guards. I'm considering getting rid of them and going back to RM ATV bars with Cycra guards because of these - they look awesome..

Cycles South Vintage Moto Trek Movie - check out all 7 parts
dieselcruiserhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 05:20 PM   #5470
Hypermofo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkoz View Post
Fab a new sleeve with the same OD/ID's but longer. Drill out the broken stud + frame to accept the longer sleeve. Have the sleeve welded to the frame from the backside.
Ah! Great idea! Thx bkoz! That may be the route i go.

Does anyone know if the Promoto stand is made to work with or without the little part that sticks out? If it works w/o that might be easiest but it is spendy...

HM
Old 01-27-2014, 06:48 AM   #5471
bkoz
Gnarly Adventurer

Kibblewhite Valves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicks View Post
anybody ?
2 years ago Kibblewhite did not offer valves that I could find for the XC4 engines. Not enough demand. OEM was the only option I could find.

Things may have changed since then.

bkoz screwed with this post 01-27-2014 at 04:11 PM
Old 01-27-2014, 08:12 AM   #5472
bruceo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypermofo View Post
Ah! Great idea! Thx bkoz! That may be the route i go.

Does anyone know if the Promoto stand is made to work with or without the little part that sticks out? If it works w/o that might be easiest but it is spendy...

HM

I had the same break as you, the pro moto kickstand does not use that nipple and solved the problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

bruceo screwed with this post 01-27-2014 at 08:18 AM
bruceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:18 AM   #5473
BlackTDI
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Hello everyone. My name is Ben. I've been a long time lurker here but haven't joined officially until the other day. Usually I find myself here reading riding reports of South American adventures but today I'm looking for some help. The other day I was out riding and the bike was running top notch. The bike is an 08 530.

I had just done an oil/filter change and decided to take it out since the weather was great. Parked the bike for about 45 minutes to catch up with some buddies of mine at a great lookout at 4600'. Hopped back on to head home home and she didn't want to start. After multiple kicks+electric start she fired up but it ran like I was just about to hit reserve. I knew I wasn't low on fuel so i flipped it to reserve then back and finally the bike caught back up with itself.

At first I thought it might have been the elevation I'm at since it's jetted for sea level. Bike made it home fine but didn't want to start at all the next day. Took the seat and tank off and checked for spark...Nothing. So here I sit dead in the water. I have the trail tech stator/dc conversion kit installed and I can't find any specs online to test them. The primary winding on the coil tests a little high at .5Ω and should be between .25Ω and .35Ω and the secondary coil tests good at 6.2Ω and should be within 5Ω and 7.5Ω. so I'm pretty sure the coil isn't the culprit. I took the spark plug boot off to see what type of resistance reading I could get and it shows that its open. I can't get it to read anything and while doing a continuity my meter won't even beep, telling me its open somewhere.

I have tried turning it over holding the bare spark plug wire to the case and I get nothing. I even cut it back a 1/4'' to make sure I had a good connection but still nothing. I also checked the ignition pulse generator that should be at 100Ω +-20Ω and it reads open too. To make sure I was getting a good reading I took the blue plug and removed the red and green wires from it to ensure good contact but still nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to try to contact Trail Tech this week to get the specs.
Thanks, Ben
BlackTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:35 AM   #5474
steveWFL
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,343
Everyone warned me the KTM MX style seat is brutal. After my Everglades ride, I found that to be true. Seat Concepts has a solution, and I modified my seat with their parts.

The Seat Concepts set-up is nice. Its still narrow up front where off-road control is needed while standing, and wide towards the rear where but cheeks are planted when sitting.

Lets get together stock seat and a few materials and a staple.

Stock seat shredded and new foam and cover about to go on

I was amazed at the level of detail in the stitching, also the top is gripping for control while seating, sides slick.

Wowsers I'm happy with the Seat Concepts product. Time to get some magic desert dust and magic FL mud all over this this

'99 ZX9R - because I like the other one so much
'08 ZZR600 minty

steveWFL screwed with this post 01-27-2014 at 02:11 PM
steveWFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:52 AM   #5475
mountaincadre
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 344
My arse hurts just looking at that.
mountaincadre is offline   Reply With Quote