Oddometer: 586
I have an 07 with a safari 4 gallon...

[IMG][/IMG]

I dig it!
Old 10-27-2010, 10:41 PM   #722
Country Doc
Wanderer

Oddometer: 2,656
The KTM Hard Parts tank is made by Acerbis, but has the crappy KTM fuel cap mounting threads, so you have to use your stock POS KTM fuel cap.

The Acerbis tanks generally, compared to my previous Safari tank, are of a significantly stiffer plastic and feel more robust. I have no idea whether they _are_ actually more robust, but they feel that way. Certainly my current 13L hard parts tank has taken some pretty serious abuse with no issues, other than it's all scratched up and looks as dull as the Wall Street Journal.

dc
Country Doc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:58 AM   #723
Bob599
Bob599

Oddometer: 284
I was reading about the new 450 Rally Coma is riding and it was saying KTM used the side cases from the SX ATV to add oil capacity. Has anyone tried using the XC version of the ATV motor to add oil capacity to the EXC line. Might be a neat option rather that an aftermarket oil res.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:24 AM   #724
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Doc
Certainly my current 13L hard parts tank has taken some pretty serious abuse with no issues...
Mine too- same tank on 5 bikes and counting, loads of scratches but not one of them has given it pause. Never had a radiator issue either, and I've deserved it in a couple of crashes- I'm impressed with this tank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob599
I was reading about the new 450 Rally Coma is riding and it was saying KTM used the side cases from the SX ATV to add oil capacity. Has anyone tried using the XC version of the ATV motor to add oil capacity to the EXC line. Might be a neat option rather that an aftermarket oil res.
I believe those cases are from the twincam motor and won't fit an RF4. Also, it seems like replacing cases to add oil is a cure worse than the disease, but maybe I'm missing something.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:37 AM   #725
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,333
Hey guys,

I am working on the cooling system of my rally bike. Originally I had planned to go with the RFS fan kit, but it looks like it won't clear my tank due to the back side hitting.

Looking at the KTM hard parts fan kit for the newer bikes, it appears to be a little less deep. I would really appreciate if somebody could measure the distance from the radiator surface to the farthest part of the back of the fan.

Thanks for the help!

Old 10-28-2010, 08:45 AM   #726
neduro OP
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM
I am working on the cooling system of my rally bike. Originally I had planned to go with the RFS fan kit, but it looks like it won't clear my tank due to the back side hitting.
On my rally bike, I had to make plates that spaced the radiators forward from the tanks (also allowed me to fit bigger radiators). This might sort your problem and allow you to use the fan you already own, plus it has the hidden benefit of making exhaust valve adjustments easier.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:00 AM   #727
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,333
Thanks for the answer Ned. Did you move the whole radiator forward of the normal holes in the frame? Due to the play in the soft bushing they will slightly bend out of the way, but it's probably not a good idea to have the fan rub on the plastic tank.

In my case (SX-F frame with RFS engine) clearance in the front is pretty tight as well, the triples are coming very close at full lock. Might have to check again when I have some BPD radiator guards on there.

If I had the fan mounted directly against the radiator instead of using the shroud it should give me just enough clearance. Of course not as good for drawing air...
Old 10-28-2010, 10:57 AM   #728
osteo
Motion is Life

Oddometer: 1,856
When I ordered my fan for some reason the mounting bracket did not arrive.. so I made my own bracket as well. The fan sits pretty much on the rad, but I have not had any issues and give a fair bit more clearance for the tank.

D

Rally Connex Adventures
Off-Road Adventures
Make It Stick Media

Adventure Has No Destination

08' KTM 450 EXC - The Half Beast -
04' Yamaha TTR250 (for the wife)
osteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:04 AM   #729
neduro OP
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM
Thanks for the answer Ned. Did you move the whole radiator forward of the normal holes in the frame? ... The triples are coming very close at full lock.
Yes, moved the whole rad up by taking plates off the standoffs on the frame, and relocating forward more at the bottom.

Steering lock was the weak point, it was definitely ducati-esque!

Old 10-28-2010, 11:07 AM   #730
BajaRat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 574
Trying to reach you Ned. Please check your email.

Thanks !

BR
Old 10-28-2010, 08:36 PM   #731
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,917
Anybody Running a Cush Drive Rear Hub ??

I didnt on my 525 & was told this was why I ripped 4th gear out of the Tranny

I do know it makes the bike mucho smoother & helps chain slap
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:36 PM   #732
Leo Vince
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Scary Ride Home on Ortega Highway

The stock headlight ona 530Exc is useless!

I have never been so afraid in my 25 some years of riding. I couldn't see the road and traffic was coming steady in the other direction. I know the blue tinted lens wasn't helping, but I have ridden street bikes using a tinted shield and could see well enough to know the road.

I will never ever choose to continue riding until darkness (actually it was still light when I came down the trail).

I guess Austrian engineers don't sit down, use liscense plates or ever ride at night.
Leo Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 12:11 AM   #733
Hodakaguy
NorthWest Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 2,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Vince
The stock headlight ona 530Exc is useless!

I have never been so afraid in my 25 some years of riding. I couldn't see the road and traffic was coming steady in the other direction. I know the blue tinted lens wasn't helping, but I have ridden street bikes using a tinted shield and could see well enough to know the road.

I will never ever choose to continue riding until darkness (actually it was still light when I came down the trail).

I guess Austrian engineers don't sit down, use liscense plates or ever ride at night.
Yep sounds about right. The stock 530 light is the worst I've ever seen. My first desert trip that I used the bike for had a couple short distances in the dark and I quickly learned what you did, that it's useless. I had to ride behind my buddies bike just to see.

When I got back home the stock unit came off the bike and I installed a Trailtech 8" racelight. Let there be light!

Hodakaguy
And Then There Were Four - OR RR: CLICK HERE
My VW Syncro Westy Build Thread: CLICK HERE
Hodakaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 11:36 AM   #734
FlyingDutchman
Dirt Biker

Oddometer: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Vince
The stock headlight ona 530Exc is useless! ....

Hodakaguy, how durable has the 8" light been? Can you swap the stocker back on for gnarly rides? I'm in the east and would love that light but ithink it would get destroyed the way I ride ,,,er, fall I guess.

Leo, this halogen off-road will get you up to speed, say 60mph, for a good price...about $125 to my door. If I raced at night, I would upgrade but I found this one sufficient for an hour to start an early morning rally. I had a buddy do the install and I can switch to the stocker in minutes.

I have a buddy that rides with the $60 PMXTEC...but he bought the bike set-up and could not offer me info on how he prevented the bulb from melting the headlight housing, which apparently happens...

Another guy I know is using this one for $6... a nice improvement...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ULTRA...item5d2bca8e09

I just ordered one...review pending!
Attached Images

FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 12:37 PM   #735
Yardstick
Hydrophobic

Oddometer: 2,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Dog
Anybody Running a Cush Drive Rear Hub ??

I didnt on my 525 & was told this was why I ripped 4th gear out of the Tranny

I do know it makes the bike mucho smoother & helps chain slap
I have one that I ran on a 625sxc and my 450exc for a while. I'm still deciding if I want to run it on the 530 or just be careful about shifting on pavement. It is a heavy wheel.
Yardstick is online now   Reply With Quote