Mookish Mook

Oddometer: 4,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Dog View Post
No disrespect guys,
but Im NO fan of low front fenders, black swingarms or black rims
[Silver, me likey]

The bike looks Great
Jesus... enough about the sliver rims...

mookymoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 09:43 AM   #857
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,380
Yeah, our buddy Brown Dog is probably the only weirdo on this site who doesn't like rally bikes.

The EXC above looks sweet! I am going to powdercoat my frame and swingarm black and have a set of orange TMD slider and chain guide on the way as well.

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 11:09 AM   #858
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,939
I'd love to try a FE 570 S Berg for Dual Sporting . . . .
I doub't it being any better than the 530 EXC except for the extra 55 cc's

Brown Dog screwed with this post 12-11-2010 at 02:29 PM
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 01:12 PM   #859
FlyingDutchman
Dirt Biker

Oddometer: 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post

I finished 35th out of 240, Big tank, Renazco seat, Double Take Mirror, License Plate and all. Truly a bike that can do everything.

(and on a sidebar note, apparently it's raining bikes here, because I also just grabbed a 2009 400XCW. I liked racing the 530 so much I said to heck with the Husaberg, to heck with 2 strokes, I want a 530 that turns better and doesn't scare me as much, so when I ran across a cheap 400, I decided to go for it.

Congrats on the race!

My local dealer recommended the '09 400 to me because I said I wanted to try some enduros and HS. He was probably right, the 530 gives me a big smile on logging roads and trailriding but racing single track, while obviously very capable for Mr. Knght, it proves to be handful for me. A 250 4 stroke will do in the single track.

So I'm not sure the 400 4T is better than a 300/250 2T Are you going to start a 400 MO' BETTER THREAD??
FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 01:25 PM   #860
Redline
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Congrats Ned - 35th out of 240 is impressive! I'm finally going to open up my '09 530EXC this weekend and see if the valve guide seals are the cause of my oil consumption. Been putting it off long enough.

I'm mechanical, but not a mechanic. Here goes...
Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 05:53 PM   #861
Country Doc
Wanderer

Oddometer: 2,677
I've got the same project coming up. All the parts are on the bench, the snow has started to accumulate here. Time to crack open the top end and see what's going on!

dc
Country Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 06:08 PM   #862
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman View Post
So I'm not sure the 400 4T is better than a 300/250 2T Are you going to start a 400 MO' BETTER THREAD??
I might just throw it here since the only difference between the bikes is stroke (400 shares 95mm bore with 450 and 530, just is missing 20mm of stroke).

FWIW, I had a 250 or 300 in the garage for a decade, and raced them quite a bit. I sold the last one because I felt like I was always getting either more or less than I wanted from the motor, and because I found myself going at least as fast on the 530 as I could on the 300, but working less hard (against the stopwatch, I've found my seat of the pants judgements of speed to be useless). That said, I learned to ride on big XRs, so I was always kind of a reluctant convert to 2T.

I miss the 2T for 2 kinds of rides: first, sand and sand whoops, where the light weight was a real advantage and there was no issue getting "too much", because you could use everything the motor had; and second, stupid technical snotty snow mud roots another tree down every 10 feet rides. On those, you never need the motor and the smooth low torque was nice, as was the light weight.

But for normal trailriding, I haven't missed the 2T at all. The 530 has been less drama and the same or more speed down the trail.

400 is loaded in the van, and should get it's first ride tomorrow AM if all goes well.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 06:41 PM   #863
bigborefan
Making new friends

Oddometer: 1,529
Tell me again why I don't live in Colorado? With my job I can pretty much live anywhere in the US and for some reason I landed in Central IL. The family has been discussing a move west. The Phoenix area is a smart move career wise. Close to the corporate mothership and airports. I travel nation wide on my job. Idaho has potential as well, but I bet air travel out of there is difficult. Asheville NC, we like it there too.

OK Ned, I didn't mean to hi-jack the thread.

Oh, my 2010 530 has a whooping 12 hours on it, pitiful ain't it?

So Ned, whats your thoughts on the RFS motor vs the new XC motors? I know there is an RFS cult holdout that just loved the old motors. Chiily White has a nice write up on his blog about this..enduro360.com.

“Anyone who believes in indefinite growth in anything physical, on a physically finite planet, is either mad or an economist.” -- Kenneth E. Boulding
bigborefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 07:13 PM   #864
Yardstick
Hydrophobic

Oddometer: 2,962
Quote:

FWIW, I had a 250 or 300 in the garage for a decade, and raced them quite a bit. I sold the last one because I felt like I was always getting either more or less than I wanted from the motor, and because I found myself going at least as fast on the 530 as I could on the 300, but working less hard (against the stopwatch, I've found my seat of the pants judgements of speed to be useless). That said, I learned to ride on big XRs, so I was always kind of a reluctant convert to 2T.

I've had almost the same experience. I feel faster on my 300 in technical singletrack, but I'm not. In back-to-back rides on a piece of moderately technical singletrack (meaning, all rideable) that takes me about 15 minutes to do an out and back run on, I'm ~30 seconds faster each time on the 530. I feel a lot slower and it takes less energy to ride, but somehow it is also faster.
Yardstick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:08 AM   #865
neduro OP
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigborefan View Post
Tell me again why I don't live in Colorado? With my job I can pretty much live anywhere in the US and for some reason I landed in Central IL. The family has been discussing a move west. The Phoenix area is a smart move career wise. Close to the corporate mothership and airports. I travel nation wide on my job. Idaho has potential as well, but I bet air travel out of there is difficult. Asheville NC, we like it there too.
Funny, that resembles my own list (Except for the midwest, you can have that!). My mom lives near Asheville, I love it there but not enough dirt riding, Idaho is awesome but missing a little bit of something something, and I can't handle AZ in the summer. So Colorado is it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigborefan View Post
So Ned, whats your thoughts on the RFS motor vs the new XC motors?
I saw Chilly down in Tecate, he looked like he was having a good time on the GG 300.

The XC4 lacks lower-mid grunt relative to the RFS in my opinion, which is both a positive and a negative attribute.

The negative is obvious- when you're somewhere you want torque, you have to spin for it on the XC4. Bottomless gravel really makes the 530 feel weak, just because you have to rev the tits off it before it will pull the next gear.

On the other hand, it's really easy to get just the torque you want from the 530, which is why I enjoy riding it in all kinds of tricky technical situations. The RFS was more of a handful on an off-camber slippery rooty hillclimb, at least, I thought so. The XC4 hooks up magically well, and I think that's the other side of the coin.

I have an RFS in my rally bike, and I love it. I don't tend to ride that bike where I am struggling for traction, and when I'm navigating, I love that it pulls hard at any RPM, it makes gear selection one less thing I have to pay attention to. Mine is a 580 (97 bore on 76 stroke) and it makes way more than I would have any use for in a dirtbike, but that's nice on a bike with 8 gallons of gas that I ride mostly in fast environments.

The other issue is lifespan. I've found the XC4 to be less maintenance intensive than the RFS- stock valves, especially intakes, never lasted for me on my RFS bikes. But I think the RFS will offer more longevity than the XC4, as in, it will be a larger number of hours before doing anything substantial, and a rebuild will last a longer time.

Pros and cons to both, I can see that, but I'm so happy with the XC4 as a trail motor I can't picture wanting to go back, and in the 5, soon to be 6 I've owned, I haven't had a single issue to complain about with regard to reliability, I've never pushed out of the woods (knocking on wood) and I've enjoyed just about every minute. I'm a fan of the XC4.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:00 AM   #866
Brown Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookymoo View Post
Jesus... enough about the sliver rims...
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...2#post14684122

Old 12-14-2010, 11:01 PM   #867
neduro OP
Addict

Well, today was a fun day!

I got up early and headed to KTM Aspen, where I picked up my new 2011 KTM 530 EXC. Here it is coming out of the crate:

I'm going to do a full write up of all the tricks and tips that I've come up with for these things here in this thread, as well as the best analysis I can provide on the differences between years since now I will have had one of each style.

To anticipate the question why I get a new bike so frequently, the answer is simple- cost. I get a good deal on the bikes thanks to my contacts in the industry, and by trading them out every 6 months or so, the old bike retains most of its value making it an inexpensive proposition to go to the new one. I put a lot of hours on, typically about 250-300 per year on the 530 alone, and it's more effective to swap than to wear one out (I think bikes get tired at 4-500 hours, no matter how well they are maintained) and have to start over. So, counterintuitively, I've found that buying new bikes often is cheaper. Good luck explaining that to your CFO.

But more exciting, I got my first proper ride in on the 400. I managed 2 hours on Sunday doing break in, getting jetting sorted, and running whoop trains to loosen up the suspension, so I already knew I was going to like this thing. Today I got out for a proper ride and it's better than that, I love this thing.

My buddy Dave playing:

Why is less more in some circumstances? Great question, I wish I knew.

The bike clearly turns better, and while it doesn't weigh different on a scale, it absolutely feels lighter on the trail. Furthermore, the motor has NO vibration (I think it shares the counterbalance with the longer stroke models) and the power is so smooth that it never upsets the chassis, so I can really focus on charging. It's not slow, either, corner to corner against Dave's 530, there wasn't much in it.

The $9000 question is which one is better... if I could only have one it would be the 530, because it's a better dualsport. But the 400 will make a better racebike/ hardcore trailbike, so my Husaberg is for sale, motivated seller.

Old 12-14-2010, 11:16 PM   #868
Bora20
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 849
Quote:
I'm going to do a full write up of all the tricks and tips that I've come up with for these things here in this thread, as well as the best analysis I can provide on the differences between years since now I will have had one of each style.
I would appreciate that as it will help me before I buy the wrong aftermarket stuff and have to buy it again. Maybe something like this?

Rad protector - BPD
Rear disc guard - BPD
Swingarm guard - BPD
Larger tank - Clockwork
Skidplate - hmmm, I have the factory plastic one, but...

Bora20 screwed with this post 12-14-2010 at 11:23 PM
Bora20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:30 PM   #869
Brown Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro
I got up early and headed to KTM Aspen, where I picked up my new 2011 KTM 530 EXC. Here it is coming out of the crate:

Im So Jealous

More pics please
Old 12-18-2010, 06:42 PM   #870
tobys
OCD Hobbiest

Oddometer: 321
Time for Valve Shims...

90 hours, and the left rear (intake) valve gap is less than .10mm... All the others are between .10 and .12 or so. This one is probably .08 or .09. The bike still runs and starts just fine though.

Can someone tell me what size the stock shim is? I'd like to buy a few to have on hand. The dealership says bring in a stock shim to swap for whatever I want, but I'd rather buy a few, or a kit. Not sure what you guys think of the "Hot Cams" kit - thoughts?

Also, would you re-set each to be .12 or leave them as long as they are over .10?

Thanks much. Here is a video of my son and I taking some laps around the house today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONw7n6GrnMQ

tobys screwed with this post 12-18-2010 at 06:45 PM Reason: fixing video
tobys is offline   Reply With Quote