Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2010, 04:53 PM   #931
bigborefan
Making new friends

Oddometer: 1,295
Ned, on the TrailTech X2, are you thinking the Dual Sport or Off Road Halogen? Not interested in the HID?

Women, er, women sense my power, and they seek the life essence. I do not avoid women, Mandrake...but I do deny them my essence
bigborefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 05:15 PM   #932
ganshert
not sleeping

Oddometer: 7,993
Your 530 axle looks like it's installed correctly to me. The fork doesn't touch the spacer, the step machined in to the axle does when you tighten the axle nut. It pulls it up against the left fork.

The pic of the 250 looks like your right fork is pulled over against the spacer. I'd loosed the pinch bolts on the right side and pump the forks a few times with the brake on to see if it moves out. Any fork stiction on the 250?
ganshert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 05:19 PM   #933
FlyingDutchman
Dirt Biker

Oddometer: 775
Nice bike 309!

Welcome to the club!

Wanna sell that plastic befre it's scratched up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 309 View Post
I'm going to have more questions as I go. If it doesn't fit the theme of the thread, let me know and I'll start my own "530 set up for idiots" thread.
I felt the same way last winter and started a thread with a similar theme:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=556124

I believe it has been mentioned that this is the KTM 530 THREAD.

As far as I believe, anything relevant to the XC4 powered. bikes. I was very interested in Ned's last few posts relating to the 400XCW and his 4th 530 set-up as I was your posts on the diskguard.

By the way, think that fork/axle is how mine looks.

The pic in the truck reminded me of one the things I like most about going to events- seeing bikes arrive in the back of trucks, trailers and other set-ups.

Here's mine, it's a bit uncommon but worked for me so far:
Attached Images

FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 05:27 PM   #934
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by 309
Does the xc-w have any sort of mirror mounts? Like for screw in mirrors?
Chunk the Doo Doo Stock KTM mirrors & go with Stock Honda XR650L mirrors & rubber mounts . . . dont forget both sets of nuts.
Same 10mm - 1.25 Threads.
LOTS BETTER for Dual Sporting

I've ran them on a LOT of my bikes thru the years, & currently on my 690 Enduro.

Im no fan of folding mirrors

The Stock KTM 950 SE / ADV mirrors are A-OK too

Brown Dog screwed with this post 12-31-2010 at 05:34 PM
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 05:33 PM   #935
Brown Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman
... A buddy of mine told me the bike will indicate when you need to check the valves- ... hard to start....

I think a motor that is buttoned up properly should not be messed with until performance is compromised;
I AGREE with both of these Statements
Old 12-31-2010, 05:44 PM   #936
c.vestal
Rally On

Oddometer: 4,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Dog View Post

apparently not

www.doubletakemirror.com/
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ght=doubletake

to each his own
c.vestal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 05:44 PM   #937
FlyingDutchman
Dirt Biker

I'll sleep better tonight

Quote:
I AGREE with both of these Statements

Thanks Brown Dog!

Happy New Year everyone!
Old 12-31-2010, 05:53 PM   #938
Brown Dog

I'd be intrested IF

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvestal
Do these mirrors give you a Good Clear Image of whats behind you like the stock KTM 950/990 mirrors ??
Old 12-31-2010, 06:02 PM   #939
Visigothic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Doc View Post
He might be referring to the oil consumption issue that Ned wrote about and some others have experienced (including myself). It is always worth remembering, though, as others have mentioned, that people write into boards with negative experiences, so there is a huge publication bias with respect to problems. There are also vastly more EXC's out in circulation than there are g450x's, so the numbers are totally skewed.

I certainly wouldn't trade mine for a different 450 dirtbike either - it's a fantastic machine and absolutely rocks...but if I had the chance to spend $3k less at the outset...hmm...wouldn't be as easy a choice. The EXC will need desmogging/jetting/regearing/etc, whereas the G450 is much quicker to get the motor where you need it due to the FI. The front fork fix on the g450X's is supposedly fairly quick and easy, but the EXC suspension is excellent stock (though I had to respring both front and back for my 215lbs/big tank/etc., and, of course, my "take-no-prisoners" riding style...)

Some folks get a bit nervous taking a battery-only FI bike into the back woods, and honestly I'm one of those. I've been stuck a couple of times where I'd be walking hours if I didn't have a kicker backup, and I would be paranoid about battery/electronics failure on an FI machine. That may not be supported by any real evidence, and I probably just need to get my head into the new century, but hey.

Check out the G450 thread for more info, you'll find it there - but there's a scarcity of people with many miles on this motor yet. There are loads of people with 200, 300 hours on late-model exc's, and very, very few with that kind of mileage on the g450x's, at least based on my reading of that thread, so again it's hard to compare "reliability" issues.

Both motors could potentially have problems, like any race engine. They probably have very similar life expectancies, all things being equal.

Boy, it's late. Can't sleep after a busy shift.

dc
I'm with Doc

I keep thinking about the 530 or the 690 for a dual sport. Just sold the 950se, way too much for fun, its a pros bike ,I'm no pro. What we overly cautious types need is a 530 EXC with the 690 mill installed plus a kicker. This would ease the minds of those like me worried about engine life in a common format i.e frame style with less weight than the 690 even when using the large fuel tank.

I've given the HTR oil cooler idea some thought to increase the engine side to it to 1200cc (1.268 US quarts.) When you add this to the trans side ( 900cc ) it gives a total of about 2 quarts total. The BRP holds about this much 1.8 quarts but is shared between the engine and trans, same for the 690 @1.8 US quarts shared also. All things considered it should be enought to extend oil changes for a weeks worth of ADV riding and camping without service. Hmmmm? I'm not sure what other changes there are between the 530 and 690 LC4 platform other than maybe the lower case stroker and piston kit etc. there must be quite a few common parts. The only thing I can guess is that KTM assumes the 530 will get raced and the 690 will not be. Hence the higher service schedule for the 530 concerning warranty. $$$$$$$$$$........ If some one knows the main differences between the two LC4 engines other than the kicker, oil system and CC's chime in here.

Yes I like the carb idea over EFI and a back up kicker when in the "boon docks". Maybe I should go the full route sans the water cooling and get a used XR650l and add a xr600 kick starter

Less is more

Visigothic screwed with this post 12-31-2010 at 06:09 PM
Visigothic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 06:03 PM   #940
Brown Dog

I Miss my old 525 EXC w/Wide Ratio Tranny

Old 12-31-2010, 06:05 PM   #941
c.vestal
Rally On

Oddometer: 4,815
Quote:
Do these mirrors give you a Good Clear Image of whats behind you like the stock KTM 950/990 mirrors ??

Do not just take my word for it
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=96

There are tons more comments on the thread like it. Says a lot in my book when people bother to post positive comments. Negative seems to be the norm on the interwebs.

Run them on my 530 and SE.
c.vestal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 06:06 PM   #942
FlyingDutchman
Dirt Biker

Quote:
+1

Is that even possible on a running 530?

I've got the stock 950 mirror and it's too short for my shoulders ...still need more length, should have bought the longer one.

So, Ned, your mirror will most likely perform better anyways, with the Ram adjustable tension, but is it longer than the stock KTM 950 mirror. I think I need 2-3 inches extra to be functional.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:12 PM   #943
ganshert
not sleeping

Oddometer: 7,993
Quote:
The clearest image I've ever seen on a dirtbike. I have them on my 990 and my FE570. I've been pleasantly surprised how effective they are.
ganshert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 06:25 PM   #944
Special Purpose

Oddometer: 5,453
Quote:
Chunk the Doo Doo Stock KTM mirrors & go with Stock Honda XR650L mirrors & rubber mounts . . . dont forget both sets of nuts.
Same 10mm - 1.25 Threads.
LOTS BETTER for Dual Sporting

I've ran them on a LOT of my bikes thru the years, & currently on my 690 Enduro.

The Stock KTM 950 SE / ADV mirrors are A-OK too

The mirror in the pic is a temporary that has already been removed. My doubletake mirror showed up today. We'll see how it works.

I've tried almost all of the mirrors out there and I don't like any of them. My bikes tend to hit the ground once in a while, and that means that mirrors break. The ones you're suggesting would not only break, but may take a master cylinder with them, no thanks.

If the doubletake works at all and doesn't break, I'll be happy.
309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 06:48 PM   #945
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganshert View Post
Your 530 axle looks like it's installed correctly to me. The fork doesn't touch the spacer, the step machined in to the axle does when you tighten the axle nut. It pulls it up against the left fork.

The pic of the 250 looks like your right fork is pulled over against the spacer. I'd loosed the pinch bolts on the right side and pump the forks a few times with the brake on to see if it moves out. Any fork stiction on the 250?
+1

I'll get to the other questions soon, but for now, I was looking for the Euro Switch assembly which someone PM'd me about and I figured I'd put it here, PN seems to be 50311070100 but I'm getting "no longer orderable" when I try to source it. So let me do a little investigation on that... next week.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote