User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2009, 08:16 AM   #91
teti
especie en extincion ®

Oddometer: 143
muy buenos todos sus aportes son de mucha utilidad ,

cuantas horas duran los pistones y aros ? cada cuanto cambian el conjunto ?

soy el feliz poseedor de una 530 -09 con 58 horas y 3400 km hasta ahora todo ok

gracias y saludos atte

teti
teti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:32 PM   #92
Bungholio
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro
A few more updates:

1) I installed the Dirttricks timing chain tensioner. I took many beautiful photos of the stock part and upgraded one, but you'll have to trust me on that, because I can't find them for the life of me and I'm not taking it apart to repeat the process.

Basically, the stock part uses oil pressure alone to maintain pressure on the timing chain, where the dirt tricks part uses a ratcheting mechanism assisted by oil, but not dependent on it.

http://dirttricks.com/timing_chain_tensioner.htm

On my 08, and occasionally on my 09, I would get a bunch of timing noise on startup or idle, which never amounted to a problem but sure doesn't seem right. Since installing this part, the bike has been totally quiet. Very nice.

2) I gave in and bought another Akrapovic pipe. It sounds really nice, a bit quieter than the stock pipe with the bung cut out, and it clearly flows better and allows the engine to run much more freely. Very nice part.

3) On a whim, I decided to race an enduro, and my 300 was in pieces for some upgrades I'm doing. So, despite the fact that the enduro was very tight and technical, I took the 530.

I've done nothing to the suspension other than work out the best bleed settings I could and install a 7.6 kg/mm spring in place of the stock 7.2 for my 200lbs. I haven't raced in 2 years, I've been a lazy trailrider instead, and the place we were racing (Walsenburg, CO) is a gnarly rockpile that puts suspension and technique to the test. Needless to say I was concerned whether I could maintain A-pace on the 530, especially in such a tight area.

Long story short, the bike rocked. It worked really well and I wound up here:

I would have won 4 stroke A, but oh well...

The point is, I'm pretty impressed by a bike that, with a few minor upgrades (gearing, jetting, muffler) can run a good A pace, or do the Trans America Trail, or commute to work, or pretty much any other idea you can come up with that takes 2 wheels.

I really like this bike!
Hypothetical question of a real situation: I am looking at getting a 2008 530EXC for $7299 +T&L along with the R2R kit. Is the 2009 model improved enough to fork over the extra cash to get it instead of the 2008? My use will be for casual fun riding, no racing except against myself. Inquiring minds want to know. Know that your answer will greatly influence my purchase decision.
Bungholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 02:01 AM   #93
pampaX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 415
Teti says (if guys you don't mind my translating),
...God day, very good info and very usefull

How long (hours) do pistons and rings last? How often do you change the set?

I'm the happy owner of a 530 '09 with 58 hours and 3400K so far all good .

Thanks and regards
"

PampaX

Quote:
Originally Posted by teti
muy buenos todos sus aportes son de mucha utilidad ,

cuantas horas duran los pistones y aros ? cada cuanto cambian el conjunto ?

soy el feliz poseedor de una 530 -09 con 58 horas y 3400 km hasta ahora todo ok

gracias y saludos atte

teti
pampaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 06:07 AM   #94
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungholio
Hypothetical question of a real situation: I am looking at getting a 2008 530EXC for $7299 +T&L along with the R2R kit. Is the 2009 model improved enough to fork over the extra cash to get it instead of the 2008? My use will be for casual fun riding, no racing except against myself. Inquiring minds want to know. Know that your answer will greatly influence my purchase decision.
IMO, the 2008 suspension was not great out of the box, but the components are essentially the same as the 2009 (there are some refinements to coatings and wall thicknesses, etc, but these are subtle in their effects). So, a competent tuner can make an 08 work basically as well as an 09 for the price of a revalve.

The other substantial update I'm aware of is piston rings, I believe the 2009 has updated parts in that department. Again, this is not a particularly costly thing to address should it become necessary.

I would say, go for the 08, and when you're ready, send the suspension to superplush or whatever vendor your research leads you to, and you won't be sorry!

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 06:10 AM   #95
neduro OP
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampaX
How long (hours) do pistons and rings last? How often do you change the set?
Much less frequently than the book would have you believe!

I think if the bike burns substantial oil, or has low compression, the rings are the first thing I would look at. To my knowledge, that's likely at least a couple hundred hours if you never allow an air leak (from a vacuum line or otherwise) and are good with your air filters.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:14 AM   #96
B.Curvin
Feral Chia tamer

Oddometer: 2,721
Mornin Brother Ned.

Emerson Biguns (sp?) sold his 530 partially because of the vibes.

I've ridden 640s and know they're paint shakers.

But how is the 530 compared to say an XR650R? You had an XR-R in the

past, I currently have one. Also, will the low end of the 530 keep me happy

after the tractor like XR? I live and ride east coast. I love being able to let

the revs on the XR die down to nothing while making a 90* left up and over

a rock covered hill, and never touch the clutch. Just a tiny blip and boom,

you're up and over.

TIA.

Porsche Audi VW
B.Curvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 08:58 AM   #97
neduro OP
Addict

IMO, at least as smooth as the XR (if one was vibey, there's something wrong, mine have both been very nice, nothing like LC4's which I despise), and they make plenty of grunt (and plenty of overrev, and plenty of everything else). If you need more power than a 530 offers, you're doing it wrong. :-)

The only thing an XR does better than a 530 is get ignored. 530's aren't maintenance whores, but I know an XRR will go 20-30k miles with minimal maintenance because I've done it. The 530 will have been through more oil changes, and probably a piston and rings and maybe valves in that same time. You don't get more power and 50lbs less weight without some tradeoff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVMango
Mornin Brother Ned.

Emerson Biguns (sp?) sold his 530 partially because of the vibes.

I've ridden 640s and know they're paint shakers.

But how is the 530 compared to say an XR650R? You had an XR-R in the

past, I currently have one. Also, will the low end of the 530 keep me happy

after the tractor like XR?

Old 05-20-2009, 01:28 PM   #98
Bungholio
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro
IMO, the 2008 suspension was not great out of the box, but the components are essentially the same as the 2009 (there are some refinements to coatings and wall thicknesses, etc, but these are subtle in their effects). So, a competent tuner can make an 08 work basically as well as an 09 for the price of a revalve.

The other substantial update I'm aware of is piston rings, I believe the 2009 has updated parts in that department. Again, this is not a particularly costly thing to address should it become necessary.

I would say, go for the 08, and when you're ready, send the suspension to superplush or whatever vendor your research leads you to, and you won't be sorry!

Have now found a dealer with several 2009 530EXC for $7999. Now what do I do???!!!
Old 05-20-2009, 03:11 PM   #99
Para504
Spam, Spam, bacon & Spam!

Oddometer: 558
Dude, go with the '09 if you're split about it; sounds like a good price to me & worth the difference compared to your '08 quote. Piggybacking on Neduro's post, my '08 EXC with Factory Connection suspension wasn't as good as the stock '09. Also, there are some minor refinements that improved on my gripes about the '08s (i.e. easier starting)...
Para504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:04 PM   #100
Bungholio
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Para504
Dude, go with the '09 if you're split about it; sounds like a good price to me & worth the difference compared to your '08 quote. Piggybacking on Neduro's post, my '08 EXC with Factory Connection suspension wasn't as good as the stock '09. Also, there are some minor refinements that improved on my gripes about the '08s (i.e. easier starting)...

Bought the 2009, should have this weekend. WOOHOO!!!
Old 05-21-2009, 09:39 PM   #101
dillinger09
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Never. Opening. A. Neduro. Thread. Again.

“If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” ~Bruce Lee

"What have we learned in this thread?

People who wear full faced helmets with tinted visors are aliens and can't scare teen aged girls at stop lights."-Fleg
dillinger09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 08:26 PM   #102
Bungholio
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungholio
Bought the 2009, should have this weekend. WOOHOO!!!
No bike till Wednesday.

GOT IT!!!

Rode around a bit at the dealer-first ride on a KTM and first ride on a water cooled bike. The sound is a bit strange. Is there a great difference between a liquid cooled and air cooled engines as far as sounds? This thing sounds like a sewing machine. Maybe the engine noise is more audible when the exhaust is quiet? I can tell already from the short riding around that it will be great on the trails. After throwing around the DR's 360lbs this bike feels like a featherweight.

Bungholio screwed with this post 05-27-2009 at 10:57 PM
Old 05-31-2009, 10:20 PM   #103
Bungholio
Studly Adventurer

I think I read somewhere, but cannot remember where I read it, that if the engine rpm is too low then the decompression device will start to function. Is this true? At what rpm? What if I am puttering around on the trail at idle and lug the engine down a bit will it damage something? I am wondering if some of the strange sounds coming from the engine are the decomp trying to work.

Went for a few play rides over the last few days to warm the 530 up and let it cool. Yesterday got the JDJetting kit and installed it that night. much smoother throttle response at low speed, in stock form it was kind of "pipey". A bit boggy and then vroom it was off. Today I spent some time on some more serious trails, about 25 miles worth, and man was it fun. Need to lower the gearing. I didn't think it would need it being a 6-speed but I was wrong. 14/48 is what I will use. This bike was great in the whoops, I was doing third gear at about 30mph through them without a problem and railing around short bends like never before.

Question about the chain guides:Is the front chain guide/swingarm guard supposed to drag on the chain pretty snug? I noticed with the bike off the ground on the maintenence stand there was pretty good resistance when I was turning the rear wheel. The only thing I could find that is rubbing is the chain going through the front guide. It is captured top and bottom with no space between chain and rubber.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:23 PM   #104
99WFO247
Desert thrashings by KTM

Oddometer: 5
99wfo247

Hello all...first time reply.
I got/used some really good info from this thread thanks Ned. I too just unwrapped an 09 530 EXC. Bought the 08 530XCRW 18 months ago. Huge step up from WR450. That KTM is at home in the desert.
Did the 14/48 ratio (no chain work).
Did the jet kit
Did the billet end cap on stock canister
Did the clutch cylinder gaurd
Did the scotts stabilizer
Did the Acerbis 3.4 gl
Did the folding mirrors "Moto Science" http://motoscience.mybisi.com/produc...s_73808/?page1
All the enduro goodies...gaurds, bags, flush mount blinkers, gps, side plate aux fuel tank https://www.bajadesigns.com/NET/item...24424198225617 this tank requires modified mounting brackets for 08-09
Love these bikes!

Locktite all suspect fasteners boys! I have caught several fasteners on both 08 and 09 ready to or fallen out.

We've done 2 dual sport rides, 100 miles each. The magic button sure is a plus on the tight stuff. Not very comfortable on the road. Need to get the wheels balanced.
There is a trick cam chain tensioner that eliminates the cold/low idle slap noise. http://dirttricks.com/timing_chain_tensioner.htm
My chain guide also drags (seems like the sprocket size change was when I noticed heavy drag) need to look closer.
A rear sprocket bolt was perfect for the kick stand fix.

99WFO247 screwed with this post 06-05-2009 at 04:50 PM
99WFO247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 06:25 PM   #105
Bungholio
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99WFO247
Hello all...first time reply.
I got/used some really good info from this thread thanks Ned. I too just unwrapped an 09 530 EXC. Bought the 08 530XCRW 18 months ago. Huge step up from WR450. That KTM is at home in the desert.
Did the 14/48 ratio (no chain work).
Did the jet kit
Did the billet end cap on stock canister
Did the clutch cylinder gaurd
Did the scotts stabilizer
Did the Acerbis 3.4 gl
Did the folding mirrors "Moto Science" http://motoscience.mybisi.com/produc...s_73808/?page1
All the enduro goodies...gaurds, bags, flush mount blinkers, gps, side plate aux fuel tank https://www.bajadesigns.com/NET/item...24424198225617 this tank requires modified mounting brackets for 08-09
Love these bikes!

Locktite all suspect fasteners boys! I have caught several fasteners on both 08 and 09 ready to or fallen out.

We've done 2 dual sport rides, 100 miles each. The magic button sure is a plus on the tight stuff. Not very comfortable on the road. Need to get the wheels balanced.
There is a trick cam chain tensioner that eliminates the cold/low idle slap noise. http://dirttricks.com/timing_chain_tensioner.htm
My chain guide also drags (seems like the sprocket size change was when I noticed heavy drag) need to look closer.
A rear sprocket bolt was perfect for the kick stand fix.

I did the 14/48 setup also and noticed heavy drag. It has now loosened up considerably. I use the KTM Al/St rear and it has rivets holding the steel teeth to the Al center and they are what was dragging on the chain guide. I assue there is a nice groove worn in the chain guide now. Have the JD kit installed with extended mixture screw, DT Cam chain tensioner and it is running great. ~350mi.so far.