Old 03-26-2011, 04:42 PM   #1336
osteo
Motion is Life

Oddometer: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Doc View Post
Some guys do.

It is pretty hard on them.

If you don't need the light weight/max power/purely offroad focus, consider one of the newer 650 dualsports (690r, X-ch, TE630, etc.).

The DRZ can be hopped up a fair bit as well, although it takes a lot of effort and some $$, as it is unquestionably a dog in stock form.

dc
dc (or CD) - should't that be "some guys did" but learned the hard way and then bought a 450exc?!

D

Rally Connex Adventures
Off-Road Adventures
Make It Stick Media

Adventure Has No Destination

08' KTM 450 EXC - The Half Beast -
04' Yamaha TTR250 (for the wife)
osteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 05:06 PM   #1337
250Keith
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
I have been wondering about this, Do you guys have to get these bikes smoged checked like cars do??
250Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 05:12 PM   #1338
Country Doc
Wanderer

Oddometer: 2,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by osteo View Post
dc (or CD) - should't that be "some guys did" but learned the hard way and then bought a 450exc?!

D
I was referring to the fact that some guys use their 450exc's as dualsports. I learned the hard way re: trail riding setting up a DRZ400 and ultimately realizing that it was a great dualsport, not a hardcore trail bike, and made the switch. I definitely leave the EXC in the garage when it's time to ride to work, however, and the DRZ hauled me around all year long with nary a whimper.

It's a great bike, the DRZ, but there is no comparison to off-road capability vs. the EXC. None. OTOH, I put 10,000 kms on mine and it needing nothing except tires/chains. My EXC has...umm...required a little more care and feeding over it's 2500km lifespan to date.

dc
Country Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 05:19 PM   #1339
osteo
Motion is Life

Oddometer: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Doc View Post
I was referring to the fact that some guys use their 450exc's as dualsports. I learned the hard way re: trail riding setting up a DRZ400 and ultimately realizing that it was a great dualsport, not a hardcore trail bike, and made the switch. I definitely leave the EXC in the garage when it's time to ride to work, however, and the DRZ hauled me around all year long with nary a whimper.

It's a great bike, the DRZ, but there is no comparison to off-road capability vs. the EXC. None. OTOH, I put 10,000 kms on mine and it needing nothing except tires/chains. My EXC has...umm...required a little more care and feeding over it's 2500km lifespan to date.

dc
True, true

D

oh- as for desmogging and getting re-tested for emissions - would depend on your location I'd think. Up here north of the border where I am, nope, no pollution control tests - but they have started to do sound tests in some areas.

D

Rally Connex Adventures
Off-Road Adventures
Make It Stick Media

Adventure Has No Destination

08' KTM 450 EXC - The Half Beast -
04' Yamaha TTR250 (for the wife)
osteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 07:33 PM   #1340
retired motoman
LifeIsShort,EnjoyTheRide!

Oddometer: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
A good friend put 8500 miles on his using it as a legitimate dual sport- highway to singletrack, long distances, luggage, etc. It did fine, and required less work than the 640 he used the same way.

But I agree, it's the exception not the rule.
Over 4000 summer miles and 2 winters as a snow bike before new rings and valve guide seals required. $250 in parts along with a few hours of work and running great again. These engines are tough for a race bike.
retired motoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:25 PM   #1341
FlyingDutchman
Dirt Biker

Oddometer: 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarBeyondDriven View Post
Any of you guys use these bikes for everyday drivers? Is it too hard on em?

I was looking at a DRZ 400 but I want more power
As I suspected, there is nobody here who is using this bike as an everyday driver. I think the next step from the drz400 is the dr650 or xr650L.

I plan to put my KLR back into service as my commuter.

I run my 530 on the street occasionally but to leave it sitting in the parking lot is not something I wish to risk at this time. I've put too much time and effort setting it up for off-road. And it's not really the most comfortable tarmac bike.... Plus, the engine oil needs lots of attention

When I move on to something else, I might try to use mine as a fun commuter I have one year on it with 130hrs and think it is very reliable. Once-a-week, 500ml oil changes will be required.
FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:28 PM   #1342
Deseret Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Desmoging

"When I desmogged the bugger I had left the vent box on that all the tubes run into and the bike was flooded/vapor locked not letting the carb vent."

Questions: Of the number of tubes coming out of the carb---Is there vacuum on any of them or all they all just 'vent' lines? If one simply removes the drain screw in the bottom of the box and leaves the tubes in place would the lines vent properly? (assume that the vacuum line from the manifold has been removed and the hole plugged) Anyone?
Deseret Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:40 PM   #1343
FlyingDutchman
Dirt Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deseret Rider View Post
"When I desmogged the bugger I had left the vent box on that all the tubes run into and the bike was flooded/vapor locked not letting the carb vent."

Questions: Of the number of tubes coming out of the carb---Is there vacuum on any of them or all they all just 'vent' lines? If one simply removes the drain screw in the bottom of the box and leaves the tubes in place would the lines vent properly? (assume that the vacuum line from the manifold has been removed and the hole plugged) Anyone?
That is an OK set-up if you don't encounter much water, but I secured one of each pair of vent hoses to a higher point on the bike than the carb itself, so air is available when crossing water.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:16 AM   #1344
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,380
Quote:

The "vent" hoses on the FCR carb not only vent, they also pull a bit of air in. For dusty riding a carb vent filter kit is a smart investment to get more life out of the head and the cylinder for not much money. The Uptite one is a good one, Brpmoto has them in red, or DJH on Ktmtalk has black ones. About $40 IIRC.

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:16 AM   #1345
ta2240
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobys View Post
Good deal, glad you're running. Are you going to bypass the crank breather as well? I just installed the Bias Racing kit a couple months ago, should have done that up front as well.
I know it has been covered before but the Blias Blockoff Kit is a complete waste of cash. $35+ dollars for someone to package 3 or 4 parts and mail it to you.

Any KTM dealer will order the same parts for around $6.

However, if you just want to donate $35 to Chris because of what he has done and stands for, Good Deal but in these hard times for some folks $35 can be elusive.

Here are the part#'s from KTM
0603061001 CU-SEAL RING DIN7603-6X10X1
0025060086 HH COLLAR SCREW M6X8 TX30
0603100141 COPPER GASKET DIN7603-10X14X1
0910100003 PLUG DIN0910-M 10X1
ta2240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:37 PM   #1346
Deseret Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
This seemed like a good idea???

As part of my desmog plan:
I pulled the vacuum hose off the intake manifold
I plugged the hole with a small bolt
I re-plumbed the crankcase vent and head vents----running the hoses up near the steering head behind the radiators and filtered the hose opening.
I Pulled the float bowl overflow hose off the containment box and just let it hang down
I left the drain plug in the containment box and left the four carb hoses attached to the box as before
That left me with two open nipples on the box where hoses had been attached before----I attached two hoses to these two nipples and ran them up and into the intake air box *where the filter is located). I ran these alongside the seat frame and into the air box without cutting any holes in the air box via a small opening between the side panel and the air box. This may have been overkill but will insure that if the carb breathes vacuum instead of 'vent' the air sucked in will be clean----and also because the contain box below no water will be sucked into the carb if I ride through some pretty deep water (Yeah---like that's going to happen in Central Utah?)

Anyway----If there is anything wrong with this 'system' I'd like to hear comments and change anything needing changing before I get 50 miles away from Civilization with it. Comments welcome !
Deseret Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:24 PM   #1347
malcolmzilla
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Great information folks, thanks.

I am just acquiring all my accessories and getting ready to reassemble and break in my 2010 EXC 530 with Christini AWD. Coming from a KLX400R.

Couple quick questions:

RaceTech rear spring: I am unclear as to whether I should be looking at the 00-07 chart, or the 07 SX and 08+ (XC/EXC?) chart for a 2010 530?

Jetting:

Ordered a 42 pilot, JD needle and main kit, remote fuel screw; any acclerator pump work needed? Decork and desmog seem straight forward.

Kinds thanks.
malcolmzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:04 PM   #1348
FlyingDutchman
Dirt Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmzilla View Post
Great information folks, thanks.

I am just acquiring all my accessories and getting ready to reassemble and break in my 2010 EXC 530 with Christini AWD. Coming from a KLX400R.

Couple quick questions:

RaceTech rear spring: I am unclear as to whether I should be looking at the 00-07 chart, or the 07 SX and 08+ (XC/EXC?) chart for a 2010 530?

Jetting:

Ordered a 42 pilot, JD needle and main kit, remote fuel screw; any acclerator pump work needed? O-ring mod from JD decork and desmog seem straight forward.

Kinds thanks.
Nice first post. I'm betting I'll enjoy your input. I rode an enduro last fall with a former ISDE competitor, who was breaking in his Christini 300xcw. We swapped positions for a while and I was spending a fair amount of time observing the AWD in action.

Can you spice it up with some photos of the Christini?
Old 04-05-2011, 03:19 PM   #1349
FlyingDutchman
Dirt Biker

Quote:
As part of my desmog plan:
I pulled the vacuum hose off the intake manifold
I plugged the hole with a small bolt
I re-plumbed the crankcase vent and head vents----running the hoses up near the steering head behind the radiators and filtered the hose opening.
I Pulled the float bowl overflow hose off the containment box and just let it hang down
I left the drain plug in the containment box and left the four carb hoses attached to the box as before
That left me with two open nipples on the box where hoses had been attached before----I attached two hoses to these two nipples and ran them up and into the intake air box *where the filter is located). I ran these alongside the seat frame and into the air box without cutting any holes in the air box via a small opening between the side panel and the air box. This may have been overkill but will insure that if the carb breathes vacuum instead of 'vent' the air sucked in will be clean----and also because the contain box below no water will be sucked into the carb if I ride through some pretty deep water (Yeah---like that's going to happen in Central Utah?)

Anyway----If there is anything wrong with this 'system' I'd like to hear comments and change anything needing changing before I get 50 miles away from Civilization with it. Comments welcome !
So, is the oil pumping up the crank vent hose?

Does the hose boxtake a beating down there?

Other than that, it sounds ideal, albeit complicated.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:36 PM   #1350
malcolmzilla
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Thanks FlyingDutchman. What did you think of the AWD?

I knew I wanted the EXC 530 after a Baja trip, but the AWD might help lower my frustration trying to follow my buddies locally.

I will post a pic when it's back from Christini, the modified frame, triples and forks are due late this week, hopefully I can get it all back together...

KLX still rocking as my "B" and supermoto bike.
malcolmzilla is offline   Reply With Quote