Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2011, 06:09 AM   #1381
Chowdown
Texas Aussie

Oddometer: 136
so one dealer is offerring me the good price on a 2009 530xc-w, but just got an email from a different dealer with a great price on a 2010 450exc Champions Edition.

What exactly is the champions edition? researching online it seems its really a 2009? same kind of issues as the 2009 530xc-w ?
Chowdown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 06:17 AM   #1382
xcflyn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjf View Post
Just thought I would toss in a pic of the new Acerbis 3 gallon tank. This thing fit like a glove.

Where did you find the best price on this ? Is that actually white or "natural" color ?
xcflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 06:24 AM   #1383
Country Doc
Wanderer

Oddometer: 2,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowdown View Post
so one dealer is offerring me the good price on a 2009 530xc-w, but just got an email from a different dealer with a great price on a 2010 450exc Champions Edition.

What exactly is the champions edition? researching online it seems its really a 2009? same kind of issues as the 2009 530xc-w ?
It's an '09 with some bling. Skid plate, slave guard, some other orange anodized things, and most importantly, rockin' graffix. You get the picture.

dc
Country Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 06:56 AM   #1384
Chowdown
Texas Aussie

thanks Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Doc View Post
It's an '09 with some bling. Skid plate, slave guard, some other orange anodized things, and most importantly, rockin' graffix. You get the picture.

dc
Old 04-10-2011, 08:22 AM   #1385
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,888
Quote:
thanks Doc
And the EXC factory street legal, if that means anything in Texas or not.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:43 AM   #1386
touser
canned fruit

Oddometer: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by sledstorm1 View Post
Put in a Rekluse and ride a gear higher. I have a 450 and love it..and I'm 55! and I run 13 52 for s
urefooted power!

yeah, i thought nof that myself. does it really make that much difference and what type of rekluse do you have.

i was also thinking of a throttle cam and may try to soften up the suspension so that if more plush. Anyone done that.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:24 PM   #1387
BeezaBoy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
New Bike!

I just pulled the trigger on a 2011 450 EXC!!!

As the salesman was wheeling it out of the showroom he dropped it. Boy did he turn red. LOL.
I forgave him.

Anyway, the battery was dead from someone leaving the lights on (key was in the ignition), and it was quite difficult to kick start. After starting, it died as soon as it went in gear. I decided to leave it at the dealership over the weekend for them to sort it out and deliver me a 100% working bike like it should be.
I don't feel like this is something I have to worry about, as the stock jetting is obviously crap and all the factory restrictions are in place.

Should I be worried?

We're heading down to Moab at the start of May, so I really want to get this sucker nicely broken in before that.
BeezaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:27 PM   #1388
FlyingDutchman
Dirt Biker

Oddometer: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeezaBoy View Post

As the salesman was wheeling it out of the showroom he dropped it. Boy did he turn red. LOL.
I forgave him.

Anyway, the battery was dead from someone leaving the lights on (key was in the ignition), and it was quite difficult to kick start. After starting, it died as soon as it went in gear. I decided to leave it at the dealership over the weekend for them to sort it out and deliver me a 100% working bike like it should be.
I don't feel like this is something I have to worry about, as the stock jetting is obviously crap and all the factory restrictions are in place.

Should I be worried?

We're heading down to Moab at the start of May, so I really want to get this sucker nicely broken in before that.
Congrats on the purchase...great decision.

I have reservations about letting the dealer set it up for you...are you not capable of jetting it and desmogging it yourself? There are videos on youtube...these bikes are not nice to wrench-phobic owners.

Oh well, at least it's warrantied! Keep us posted and get an itemized list of how it is jetted and what else was done such as uncorking the pipe and desmog mods.

EDIT: If your dealer is good and knows you had an 08 450 sx-f, you should be fine...JD jet, ful desmog removal and uncorked.

FlyingDutchman screwed with this post 04-11-2011 at 07:30 PM Reason: I see you had an sx-f.
FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:28 PM   #1389
Shocktower
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,326
Quote:

I would shop local tell him the offer, the other dealer gave you, I am sure he will help you out. It is JMHO

'08 KTM 530 EXC
79 RD 400 Daytona
Shocktower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:47 PM   #1390
dirtdiver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,984
They all run like crap stock. Others can chime in but the jetting, de-smog, and gearing are must do's just to get it into the dirt.

I am getting the itch for another 530. I tried to lay some bait out in front of Ned to no avail.

steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeezaBoy View Post

I forgave him.

Should I be worried?

dirtdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:24 PM   #1391
FlyingDutchman
Dirt Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdiver View Post
Others can chime in but the jetting, de-smog, and gearing are must do's just to get it into the dirt.

steve
Must do's? A ADVer known to some here took a jetted, uncorked, but otherwise stock, smogged-up and stock geared, new 530 to second in vet 38 in one enduro I was at last fall....just sayin.

I've got lots of mods but my preference is bike in crate and add one change at a time ...done by me....no one to blame but myself

The bike will run with the desmog in place as long as you drain the container.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:37 AM   #1392
Chowdown
Texas Aussie

decided to go with a 2011 530exc. not sure when i get to pick it up, adding the 13 liter tank, jd kit, gearing for 14/48, dirt tricks tensioner, radiator fan and guards, and re-spring for my girlish figure (250 pounds).

Cant say enough good things about Munn Racing. Chip goes above and beyond, replies to emails at night and on sundays/mondays even!
Old 04-12-2011, 07:50 AM   #1393
FlyingDutchman
Dirt Biker

Quote:
decided to go with a 2011 530exc. not sure when i get to pick it up, adding the 13 liter tank, jd kit, gearing for 14/48, dirt tricks tensioner, radiator fan and guards, and re-spring for my girlish figure (250 pounds).

Cant say enough good things about Munn Racing. Chip goes above and beyond, replies to emails at night and on sundays/mondays even!
Another one

Which rad guards work with the fan?

Curious what suspension settings they will give you after after the spring swap?
Old 04-12-2011, 08:03 AM   #1394
Chowdown
Texas Aussie

its the enduro engineering 11-109

11-109 KTM 2008-2011 EXC Six Days Models with Fans/also XCFW with a fan

not sure on the suspension settings, literally just closed the deal this morning.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:36 AM   #1395
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdiver View Post
Hey, isn't it time for Ned to sell one of his 530's??

Not quite ready yet, I've been slacking. The current one only has 60 hours on it, (and about 40 on the 400). I'm on my way home from 2 weeks in the desert, so have a big pile of maintenance in front of me.

I had a couple PMs about skidplates and jetting, thought I'd answer them here.

My 2011 530 has a 50 leakjet, 42 pilot, 165 main for 5000 feet and higher, and OCEMP in the middle clip position. It gets great fuel economy and runs nicely with this setup, to the point that I haven't experimented further because I don't know what to fix. The 400 has a 170 main and 70 leakjet, otherwise the same.

Skidplate: I've been running the stock plastic plate on both bikes, and I have to say, I really like it. It's handy to remove for oil changes, it seems to offer decent coverage, and it's light.

I did crack the leading edge of the stator cover by the oil sight glass somewhere along the way on my 530, but I have no idea when/ how it happened, and am not totally convinced that another plate would have prevented it. It doesn't leak, so I haven't fixed it.

My wrist has been really bugging me, so the next upgrade is to try a pair of FASST flex bars. I should have them shortly and can't wait to give them a try.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote