Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2013, 04:39 PM   #1
stickysidedown OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 637
'Polar' Cub 90 rides through Hell (Norway)

Well It's under two weeks until I depart now, an idea that was stewed up in the sleep starved mind of mine on my return journey from Mongolia as I attempted to ride 900 miles through the night into Moscow (that ride report is coming too)

You know how it is on those long rides, your mind wanders about, and I got to thinking about how lucky I had been to just fulfil a long held dream in the last few months riding.

I decided I wanted to do something positive when I got home, something for others, and in the middle of that night I started to think about a friend of mine who had just gone through the ordeal of a kidney operation after being diagnosed with cancer, here was a great guy having to explain to his daughters all about his condition, operation and consequences, that upset me to see in a way that surprised me (I have no children) and thoughts went to him throughout my Mongolian adventures

And then it came to me like a bolt, I was going to make an improbable journey through the town of Hell in Norway and on up to the Arctic circle from my home in SW England, and I was going to try and raise some sponsorship for cancer research along the way.

So who would sponsor the charity if I was just going for a ride up to Norway? I mean that's a slice of biking heaven right there surely? I had to make it a challenge suitable enough to inspire people to

A) not take today for granted but to strive for their dreams
B) to be interested by the efforts and risks of my undertaking and be interested enough in the story itself to feel like it was worthy of a donation

So heres me, 33 years of age, putting my KTM990 Adv 'S' away and wheeling out the 'Polar' Cub-90

A little bit of fettling, packing some camping equipment (no way can I afford accomodation in Norway) and on the 19th of January I leave England bound for the Arctic circle in Norway through Hell

so to start let me introduce this brave little bike

and here is the web page we just finished for the purposes of blogging and donations www.throughhellforcancer.com

I will share a full report with photos also here with the inmates of ADVrider
stickysidedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:52 AM   #2
tbird649
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Sounds good to me! Looking forward to it.

tbird649 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:25 PM   #3
stickysidedown OP
Studly Adventurer

The weekend involved a little spannering, firstly to make sure the slightly oversized knobbly tyres would clear the front mudguard.

A cursory prod around revealed a leaking inlet rubber which was obviously sorted in 15 secs flat and then from the bin of an associate I pulled out a used 2010 KX250F rear fender and chopped it up to make some handguards

I have to say the lurid green clashes brilliantly with the metallic red of the Honda

clutch needs replacing, and is on order, and apart from the filters, plug and oil is all that remains to be done before departure.

www.throughhellforcancer.com
Old 01-09-2013, 11:17 AM   #4
England-Kev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,374
I'm in...
England-Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:16 PM   #5
nomadwarmachine
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
In....
nomadwarmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:53 PM   #6
stickysidedown OP
Studly Adventurer

So working hard in the last week to get everything done

Officially leaving from two places I think, one for my cousins from across the pond

The Mayflower Steps as per the Pilgrim fathers

And one for the UK bikers

I will be leaving from the Ace Cafe in London on Sat 19th and will be there around midday

So please share that info and feel free to come down, point, laugh, and maybe even wish me well

Oh and whilst the full and thorough ride report with pictures will be coming up here, you can get the scoop from the website

www.throughhellforcancer.com

I'll be texting updates back to the UK to go on the site as I wont have data, and given that I saw someone quoting a -28.6C today batteries are going to last minutes rather than hours.

What could possibly go wrong
Old 01-14-2013, 04:11 AM   #7
Jim pedley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Sounds fantastic what you are doing and wish you a safe journey ! I met 2 guys last year from Doncaster who rode c 90's to the elephant rally (Germany) then they were off to prauge then Amsterdam .
I'm going try get down ace cafe Saturday to see you off ! And just thought here but will you be putting bar muffs on your bike ? As with those temperatures you will need them !!!
Jim pedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:42 AM   #8
stickysidedown OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim pedley View Post
Sounds fantastic what you are doing and wish you a safe journey ! I met 2 guys last year from Doncaster who rode c 90's to the elephant rally (Germany) then they were off to prauge then Amsterdam .
I'm going try get down ace cafe Saturday to see you off ! And just thought here but will you be putting bar muffs on your bike ? As with those temperatures you will need them !!!
Awesome, be nice to meet you, there will be the option to make some muffs along the way, it's one reason I made such substantial handguards ;)

Much will be modded using my best penny tech solutions as the needs develop, friend is reporting below -30C today
Old 01-14-2013, 10:04 AM   #9
Eagletalon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
I'm in!
Eagletalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:19 PM   #10
livetosail
Wayward Traveler

Oddometer: 130
You need an RSS feed!!!

Hey Mark,

I love your idea. The design is great, the website is sexy, the concept is attractive, and I am most definitely motivated to contribute to this very worthy cause.

There is only one thing lacking, and that is an RSS feed on your website. I love to read travel reports and follow epic journeys like yours is certain to be, but I prefer to use a reader which sends all of these feeds to my phone where I can read them throughout the day, rather than trekking all over the interwebs.

A small, but potentially helpful suggestion: enable RSS so we can track you through means other than ADV or surfing to your website directly.

Looking forward to your big send off in a few days. Safe travels, and God speed.

Eric
livetosail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:17 AM   #11
stickysidedown OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks Livetosail, thats a helpful suggestion and appreciated though I'll confess I know nothing about web pages or RSS feeds, so I will pass these comments on to my ever patient friend who has built me the site as his way of supporting my venture. Hopefully we will be able to accommodate this!

Meanwhile I have had a new clutch arrive that needs fitting and a few little bits and bobs to do before departure
Old 01-15-2013, 06:59 PM   #12
gueroaero
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Cheers for using the cub to do it Looking forward to your adventure :)
gueroaero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:23 PM   #13
kyotoviking
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Awesome idea. I'm in.
If I can recommend something, (I'm Norwegian) look into some smart lube for your cables. (Clutch and throttle). Normal stuff might turn into the consistency of candle lights with the temperatures they have there now. Just my memory from bicycling to school back in the old days.
Good luck.
kyotoviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:06 PM   #14
stickysidedown OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyotoviking View Post
Awesome idea. I'm in.
If I can recommend something, (I'm Norwegian) look into some smart lube for your cables. (Clutch and throttle). Normal stuff might turn into the consistency of candle lights with the temperatures they have there now. Just my memory from bicycling to school back in the old days.
Good luck.
Tusen Takk!

Brilliant advice, I'd planned to fit new cables and just give them a light spray with a PTFE based lube rather than oil, however I appear to run out of time as off tomorrow, thankfully no clutch and a pull rod rear drum brake, throttle, choke and front brake on the other hand

Will be making various changes en-route

luckily it's particularly cold there now with one friend posting -30C on Facebook
Old 02-21-2013, 06:48 AM   #15
stickysidedown OP
Studly Adventurer

Right lets get this show on the road

This is me, Im a normalish sort of a bloke, I work on a building site and apart from my exceptionally large penis and tendency to tell outrageous lies I'm just like you (probably)

Officially the start of this event was to have been on the 19th of January, but that didn't mean there wasn't room for a little adventure on the way to the start.

I chose London's Ace cafe as a start point simply because it was a known point to say goodbye to the UK and I'd never been there!, my own home was some 250 miles to the West of here so there was a not inconsiderable distance by Scooter, in the summer lazily crossing the UK would have been awesome, and just the week before departure I was out taking rides in the winter sun just for pleasure

However there had been a cold front blowing in from the East, and as it's a little unusual for us to get Siberia's used weather the country was plunged into Chaos as we dealt with a little snowfall that had the schools closing, roads closing and nice normal people battening down the hatches until all would be well in a few days time.

I didn't feel I had that luxury, and still eager to get out in it off I went into the darkness to cover half the miles to London before stopping over with my good travel buddy Ed in Bristol, he couldn't make it on this journey on account of the fact he had a note from his mum or something, and his girlfriend needed some urgent advice on wallpaper patterns and err something else, I forget

It was a hard haul up to Bristol, not least of my my issues was the fact dressed like the bastard child of the Michelin man and a radioactive tellytubby I ran out of petrol on the Motorway and so ran the bike the last mile up the hard shoulder to the services.

I'd only covered 70 miles on one tank and as this is filled from under the seat it meant going through the rigmarole of loading and unloading everything on the bike to top up the tiny 3.5l tank. but this was a good few miles less than I had budgeted for, a worrying sign to start as the bike was still relatively unknown to me having been in my possession just a few short weeks.

Coming into the city I made my first mistake in my impatience,I tried to overtake a very slowly moving 4x4 using a bus lane, I had assumed the black slush like ice would be soft and wet in the centre of the lane, and once upon a time it had been, but now refrozen it caught me completely off guard, I wrestled with the impossibly overladen bike for a few seconds before crunching down hard into the asphalt.

This helped to draw my attention to the fact that I had not reinserted the armour into the knees of my textile trousers which had scuffed through down to the kevlar underneath the cordura outer.

So with a rapidly swelling knee, a broken front brake lever and indicator lens, not to mention a massively dented pride I picked myself and the bike up, gave it the cursory once over and before the adrenaline wore off I was covering the last few miles to Ed's place not realising my pannier had popped open losing a pair of goggles and my trusty North Face Tent had ejected itself from the luggage bundle.

It wasn't until a night of catching up with friends and sofa surfing that I came to realise that the list of reasons why I was on a fools errand that included cold,lack of money, no front brake and injury had grown to include homelessness!!

At some point, and despite considering myself a fully fledged member of the grown ups club I received a text from my mother, Matt the weathers hopeless, please come home

And so naturally I carried on my way determining that it was part of the riddle of life on the road, and that something would figure itself out!

Ed very kindly filmed me before I set off the day before I set off

stickysidedown screwed with this post 02-21-2013 at 07:03 AM