Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2011, 11:02 PM   #406
horseiron1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerBizz View Post
Sly - I was reading another RR about a couple, two up, that made a trip similar to yours.They posted a link to your RR and said it gave them inspiration to do a similar trip. After I finished their report I started on yours; that was three days ago. After the first couple pages I remembered reading the start of your report years ago; the incident with the front forks made me recall your story. For whatever reason I lost track and never followed it to the end. Well, I can now say that I have read the whole saga and what an adventure!

I love the way you always seemed to turning a bad situation into an unbelievable outcome.

Reading about Alaskan two wheeled adventures helps pass the time while I am serving in Iraq. So thanks for taking the time to share your adventure and making at least three of my days here bearable.

Take care!
Yea I read the same story. It was a great read also.. Also I wanted to thank you for your service.

And to Sly. What an amazing trip. Good Luck with whatever you do!!!!
horseiron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:39 AM   #407
Gramp-Z
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 791
Bump : Sly , this was the first major ride report I read after finding ADV . And it is still one of my favorites . I think I have re-read it about 3 times so far . Thanks again .
Old Man plays with his Wee
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608068
Gramp-Z is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:00 AM   #408
vicster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 995
Pretty damn good read, and to me it points out one more of the really good things that make advrider so addictive.
I am very much the opposite of Sly. Nearly 30 years older, rarely drink, like new bikes, and not at all a "people person". While I realize taverns were pretty much the only thing open during the hours Sly needed to socialize, I avoid them like the plague. There's just something about me that pisses drunks off, and at 6'7" I'm easy for them to spot. Got tired of the fights back in my twenties. Plus, at least 50% of bar talk, especially daytime bar talk, is pure, unadulterated bullshit I just don't have the patience for. Oh, to be one of those people who thinks a full grown man who has a marble collection or builds a fort in his back yard out of firewood is cool! Seriously, that is such a gift! And I would just spend a little beer money on some rain gear from WalMart rather than freeze my ass off. And I don't do that well being that dirty for that long.
My point, you ask? In spite of all these differences, I still respect his ride, and he helped settle a big question for me. I've got 6 weeks to ride this spring and couldn't decide between a dirt road emphasis DR trip, or big mile pavement Rocket 3 trip. This RR reminded me there are plenty of good roads and adventures to be had on a road bike, especially when you've only ridden in a handful of states.
Thanks, Sly, and long live advrider.
vicster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:33 AM   #409
modell
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Bluhduh I can't believe it's over...

I've read the whole RR. I loved it. I too own an '84 GL1200. I'm getting ready to restore it this winter. Man, I wish Sly would post us an update on what he's doing these days. I know he's still riding and life has obviously changed for him. But, I love the writing style and the way I couldn't stop reading until it was done. Now it's done and I'm left still wanting more...
modell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:06 AM   #410
Gramp-Z
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 791
Time for a bump on this report , everyone have a good Christmas and a great new year .
Old Man plays with his Wee
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608068
Gramp-Z is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:55 PM   #411
knvduhon
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Awesome

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
knvduhon is offline   Reply With Quote