Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2008, 08:09 PM   #136
Gargoyle
Trail Jester

Oddometer: 1,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Wing
I found a real skid plate made just for my lit'l blue .
What skid plate did you buy?

I got a ThumperTalk one. It looks and feels very sturdy, but I haven't put it on yet to see how well they fit it to the bike.
Berkshire Trail Riders on Facebook or follow me on Twitter
Gargoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 08:34 PM   #137
G-Wing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Utah Sports Cycle

Darnit! I thought sure I was first. Photos are from the website

"Excellent, there was a big one coming up ‘Cheap petrol in hell’, that really got me pondering, until I got a little closer and realised the ‘S’ had dropped off the sign advertising the Shell servo in Norseman. Shame really, it was a thought-provoking slogan." - Katie em
G-Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 02:43 AM   #138
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug
its a 250 who's going to be going down the highway on it.
I am! Isn't that 1 of the draws of this bike is the ability to do both.

Thanks Norshor1 for the gps speeds ... I had been waiting for that.

I just sold my KTM LC4 400. I always rode with a Garmin 60CSx with the "lock on hiway" turned off (if not turned off it will mess up your accuracy0. Its "realistic" top speed was 75 mph. By realistic what I mean is it accelerates strongly to 65-70 but is still climbing steadily (though slower) to 75 without having to hug the gas tank or draft. It would still climb from there to it's max ever level speed of 83 mph but were talking about a solid 90 seconds of full throttle from 75.

FWIW I've used my gps on lots of bikes and all bikes exagerate - some more than others and some not consistantly. For instance I had a small Suzuki that claimed 118 an hour when it was doing 100 k/hr so it exagerated 18%. The same bike would then slowly climb to its max speed of 114 k/hr but the speedometer climbed optimistically to 145 k/hr so at that speed it was off by 27%. Before I got the gps I wondered why all the cars passed me when I was going 120 k/hr, but when I did 110 K/hr in the car I passed most people :)
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 02:54 AM   #139
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by montesa_vr
Dynos are all different. I'd like to see Cycle World do a full test so we can get comparable weight and power numbers on this new guy.
Totally agree with you Montesa! Cycle World's test seem more credible to me. I've read lots of tests on the WRR in other magazines and have seen the phrase "...was able to reach an indicated 80/90 something mph ..." What's that? They test bikes for pete's sake! Don't they have gps/radar? Don't they know like I do that the indicated speed is usually 5-30% optimistic? (I've found the worst #'s on the smaller bikes). I guess it makes me wonder if they really do know the true hp/speed/wet weight etc but think it will make the manufacture who buys add look bad to post it ....
tangent, but what is more likely? Consumer reports to start testing dirt bikes or dirt rider to give unbiased facts.
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 08:50 AM   #140
norshor1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
rear rack skid plate FACTORY YAMAHA

i just order a rear rack and a really nice skid plate from a good canadian yamaha dealer. they are good source to buy factory yamaha accessories that are not available in the usa. here is the link to them https://www.yamahagenuineparts.com/T...ppicks&start=3

norshor1 screwed with this post 05-09-2008 at 08:56 AM Reason: add
norshor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 05:39 PM   #141
DreadPirateKermit
Ribit.

Oddometer: 371
Pissed Please stop posting

I would like to ask you all to please stop posting to this thread. My wife, who is an angel, will kill me if I go buy one of these. She doesn't know that I was at ProCalibre Wednesday night sitting on one. She really is a saint, she approved the old beat up KLR I've been working on buying based on my "it'll save gas, and wear and tear on my Tuono commuting" but I don't think she will buy that with a NEW bike. Sure, I could point out that the 250 will get even better gas mileage than the KLR or Tuono, but even using the Tuono's figures, I'd need to ride something like 185000 miles to pay for a new WR250R on gas mileage alone. Plus, then she could point to her Ninja 250 sitting in the garage and suggest I commute on that.

Crap, crap, crap. Why couldn't this thing be a dog, like the CRF230L???

So, please, help save my marriage. Quit posting how nice this bike is, how well it works both on and off road. Let me go back to day dreaming about farlking the KLR up for that trip up to Alaska or down to Baja... please? Whadda say???

'04 Suzuki DL1000 Blue
IBA #257 IBR '03, '07 Ten 'n Ten, '10
"Excluding diamonds and Vicodin, there’s nothing more precious than children." Ella Morton, The Elegant Guide to Children
DreadPirateKermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 06:22 PM   #142
ooweel
Jobless, Its OK!

Oddometer: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopewellz
I would be terrified to ride seriously off road with those levers. All I can imagine is that lever impaling my hand clean through in a get off.

The balled end on levers normally are there to prevent that sort of thing..
My buddy had a get off and his shorty non balled ended lever went in at his elbow and made a cool tunnel of a hole and neato scar! And it was a little innocent get off!
ooweel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 07:47 PM   #143
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 46,139
I gots to have me one of them skid plates.
nachtflug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 08:24 PM   #144
levity
nano-Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug
I gots to have me one of them skid plates.
those are only needed for bikes that are actually ridden, off pavement . . . .
If ya want something to keep the carpet clean beneath your bike indoors it might be better to just buy a pie,
eat it, and put the pan on the floor beneath the motor.

levity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 08:31 PM   #145
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 46,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by levity
those are only needed for bikes that are actually ridden, off pavement . . . .
If ya want something to keep the carpet clean beneath your bike indoors it might be better to just buy a pie,
eat it, and put the pan on the floor beneath the motor.

nachtflug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 08:49 PM   #146
Sock Monkey OP
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 2,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by baby wing
I would like to ask you all to please stop posting to this thread.
So, please, help save my marriage. Quit posting how nice this bike is, how well it works both on and off road. Let me go back to day dreaming about farlking the KLR up for that trip up to Alaska or down to Baja... please?

Whadda say???

Sorry. No can do. You see, when I got home from work today, there was a little beige envelope in the mail. Inside was my plate. That's right, you tree hugging, fascist commie pinko wackos in Sacramento (seat of CA state government, and source of all things wrong with this state)!! I got my plate, and you can't do sh*t about it! MUAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

OK...I'm better now. Sorry again.....

-NoVector
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 08:58 PM   #147
Sock Monkey OP
Corporate slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooweel
My buddy had a get off and his shorty non balled ended lever went in at his elbow and made a cool tunnel of a hole and neato scar! And it was a little innocent get off!
If my lever stabs me in the elbow in a get off with those hand guards on, I think I'll have a LOT more wrong than just that.....

Seriously, I do appreciate the concern, but the levers aren't filed to a point or anything. There is a significant amount of "end" still there. I'd be more likely to get cut/stabbed by the mirror and stalk than be skewered by those levers.

But....if I see a nice pair of those cushy shorty levers at the shop next time I'm there, I'll pick 'em up just to help everyone sleep better.

-NoVector
Old 05-10-2008, 09:22 AM   #148
SkidMarx
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by baby wing
So, please, help save my marriage. Quit posting how nice this bike is, how well it works both on and off road. Let me go back to day dreaming about farlking the KLR up for that trip up to Alaska or down to Baja... please? Whadda say???
The money you save on gas will be enough to cover the payments on a new WRR. It's like getting a free bike.
SkidMarx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 05:03 AM   #149
Wade
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Alternator Output

Anybody notice the alternator output on this bike? I did. 350W @ 5000 rpm.

How kick ass is that!
Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 10:55 AM   #150
Sock Monkey OP
Corporate slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade
Anybody notice the alternator output on this bike? I did. 350W @ 5000 rpm.

How kick ass is that!
Dang! That's awesome! I wonder how much "extra" that represents? There's not much sucking down the juice on this bike, so there must be at least 100W of overhead at that engine speed. That should easily run a GPS and an extra light or two. Or....for those cold-blooded types, it should be good for some heated clothing (Gerbings heated vest pulls about 70W).

-NoVector