Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2010, 11:15 AM   #15106
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,161
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy
CA. based WR250R crew.......I suggest you STRONGLY consider trying to make this ride in July:

http://www.sotsnf.org/pdf/2Day_DualSportRide_flyer.pdf

Great riding coupled with a great cause with a great group of guys (O.C. Dualies - I've been a member for the last 8 years).......I love riding in the Bass Lake area and I'm going to try and figure out a way to make it even though my vacation days are limited......

Trip report from my visit last Summer along with a few other links embedded.......Bass Lake is an AWESOME area to ride and many trails are now threatened/ear marked for closure:

http://www.dualsport-sd.com/forums/i...showtopic=5070
Another reminder to the CA. crew - this ride will be a blast......sign up if you haven't already done so......

The boys were out with the chain saws prepping the trails last weekend......some stream crossings will be DEEP this year (thanks to 150% of normal snowfall)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxtF3Fh-Xh8
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:15 AM   #15107
Buzzbomber
Not Dr. Who...

Oddometer: 1,199
You guys who like the safari tank, keep on rolling with it, it just ain't for me. Silly as it may be, I really just don't like the way it looks, no matter how good it is at protecting the rad., and it's about 10% of what I paid for my bike new! I've been able to get through a year and change so far with the stock tank and no rad guard, so I guess I'm just not the target customer for that tank. Like I said, if you like the safari, good for you, it just doesn't add up for me. Ultimately, my wish is that we could get somebody to make a stronger aftermarket one piece shroud setup for a reasonable price which would offer some more protection and pair that with the IMS 3 gal tank and still (hopefully) come in at less $$$ and laden weight than the Safari while still looking "stock". Will it happen? Probably not...
Old 06-16-2010, 11:22 AM   #15108
dvwalker
Working to ride

Oddometer: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzbomber
Sheesh, $100 for a rad guard?! How about $45 for a Flatland radiator guard, add the $230+ish for the IMS tank eakins guesses, and shipping and you're still under $300. I can tell you right now I'd go that way before the Safari for my needs. Just my 2.
Buzzbomer, do not believe the Flatland provides much if any side protection. The Force wraps around with a 3pt mount and provides more, but still minimal as previously discussed. Unabiker would normally be one of the better of the options, but haven't seen anything in their product line yet.
dvwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:24 PM   #15109
SheWolf
Under Your Bed

Oddometer: 629
Taken some nasty side dumps with the Force and no bent rad mounts. Works for me.

2009 WR250R

http://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/forum.htm
SheWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:28 PM   #15110
TrailDust&SaddleLthr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Better Rad Guard promised a while back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzbomber
You guys who like the safari tank, keep on rolling with it, it just ain't for me. Silly as it may be, I really just don't like the way it looks, no matter how good it is at protecting the rad., and it's about 10% of what I paid for my bike new! I've been able to get through a year and change so far with the stock tank and no rad guard, so I guess I'm just not the target customer for that tank. Like I said, if you like the safari, good for you, it just doesn't add up for me. Ultimately, my wish is that we could get somebody to make a stronger aftermarket one piece shroud setup for a reasonable price which would offer some more protection and pair that with the IMS 3 gal tank and still (hopefully) come in at less $$$ and laden weight than the Safari while still looking "stock". Will it happen? Probably not...
I am in the same boat... I had gotten an email from unabiker.com on March 29, 2010 and here what I got...

I was able to spend a few hours with a bike on Friday. I hope to have a production
model ready in a couple weeks.
Keep an eye on the website....once it's ready, I'll have an announcement on the front page.
Thanks,
Brian Bennett
www.Unabiker.com

I have not heard or seen anything since... I am still waiting... Brian was supposed to
address all of our concerns with his new design for the WR250R/X.

I have not given up on him and I will be patient, those things take time to develop! I have not followed up on it since and as of yet... just giving them more time.... maybe you want to send Brian an email to get an update and let us all know what he says.

TrailDust&SaddleLthr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:23 PM   #15111
kyns
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvwalker
Buzzbomer, do not believe the Flatland provides much if any side protection. The Force wraps around with a 3pt mount and provides more, but still minimal as previously discussed. Unabiker would normally be one of the better of the options, but haven't seen anything in their product line yet.
Flatland wraps around too.

Unabiker, Flatland, Force, all seem to be the same basic design... ( good design IMO )
kyns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:45 PM   #15112
Mr.Metal
Amateur Explorer

Oddometer: 32
Here is my take on the whole bigger tank issue. I would say at least 50% of WRR/X owners are probably ok with the 2 gallon tank. Most of the time people fill up before hitting any dirt, and riding 80-100 miles of dirt between fillups isn't a daily thing for most. Not saying it's not for this group, but ADV transcends most things So, if you offer the average user one more usable gallon for under $250, that is a number they can live with and would most likely go for. In addition, a lot of people like the stock look of the bike, which the Safari does not retain.

I will go one step further. For me, it makes no sense to spend hundreds of dollars and write a plethora of posts about reducing the weight on this bike, only to smack a big-ass Safari tank on it. Why carry around that much weight and that much fuel if you're going to refuel in, say, 50 miles anyway? Especially weight that's high up?

To me, the B&B side Rotopax mount makes waaaay more sense. If you know you're going to need more than 2 gallons, bolt on the bracket and bring the 2 gallon Rotopax. When empty, the weight isn't too bad. When filled, the weight is down low and balances nicely with the muffler. And you get 4 gallons!

Now, I'm personally going to go for the 3 gallon IMS. That will be more than enough for 90% of the riding I do. And when I need more, I'll bolt on my B&B bracket, bring the Rotopax, and rock 5 gallons like I was making blueberry pancakes. That's what I'm talking about
Old 06-16-2010, 03:53 PM   #15113
Dancamp

Oddometer: n/a
I like the WR for it's capacity to go anywhere with relative comfort. Next week I'm heading to Jame's Bay and I'll take my Weestrom to get there because of the range it can get to.

With the stock tank on the WR I have to carry over 2 more gals, to be safe. Since the size of the bike already limits the cargo it can carry, it's a problem. 3 gallons is right on the target for me. I still have to carry a little spare fuel in small bottles and be able to bring what I like for camping.

With a 4 gallons, it would litterally transform the little bike as a lost areas exploring machine.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:28 PM   #15114
SteveRed
Adventure Mojo

Oddometer: 2,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Metal
Here is my take on the whole bigger tank issue. I would say at least 50% of WRR/X owners are probably ok with the 2 gallon tank. Most of the time people fill up before hitting any dirt, and riding 80-100 miles of dirt between fillups isn't a daily thing for most. Not saying it's not for this group, but ADV transcends most things So, if you offer the average user one more usable gallon for under $250, that is a number they can live with and would most likely go for. In addition, a lot of people like the stock look of the bike, which the Safari does not retain.

I will go one step further. For me, it makes no sense to spend hundreds of dollars and write a plethora of posts about reducing the weight on this bike, only to smack a big-ass Safari tank on it. Why carry around that much weight and that much fuel if you're going to refuel in, say, 50 miles anyway? Especially weight that's high up?

To me, the B&B side Rotopax mount makes waaaay more sense. If you know you're going to need more than 2 gallons, bolt on the bracket and bring the 2 gallon Rotopax. When empty, the weight isn't too bad. When filled, the weight is down low and balances nicely with the muffler. And you get 4 gallons!

Now, I'm personally going to go for the 3 gallon IMS. That will be more than enough for 90% of the riding I do. And when I need more, I'll bolt on my B&B bracket, bring the Rotopax, and rock 5 gallons like I was making blueberry pancakes. That's what I'm talking about
Mr Metal, your ideal is not the same for everyone. With the Safari tank I can still do single track as well as take those big arse adventures on my WRR. In Australia we often face stretches of 400-500 miles without fuel, especially on desert runs. Besides you do not have to fill up the Safari tank if you do not want the weight of a full tank on shorter expeditions.

If I put racks on the bike it will be for luggage (like the new Wolfman frames and saddleags) and I would rather ride with my fuel in front of me instead of unpacking and transferring from containers, unless I need more than the 15Litres the Safari can offer me. In addition, the Safari tank looks great and helps protect the radiator.

Cheers

http://www.adventuremoto.com.au
Your ride.. Your adventure!
SteveRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 06:02 PM   #15115
Bonnie Abbzug
Property of Hayduke

Oddometer: 10,337
Hayduke and I got out for a grand dualsport ride today!

First we took some pavement up and over Monarch Pass then we turned onto 114, which has some fantastic twisties!

After about 50 miles or so of pavement we found some great dirt roads! Some stuff we hadn't ridden before, and will be going back again to check it out some more!

Even found a good parking area that was great for practicing some drills!

The view from the parking area was pretty freakin' awesome!

After drills and a snack we decided to check out some other roads in the area. They did not dissapoint!

This little valley was so lush and green and beautiful!

Duke saw a little spur road on the GPS that looked interesting so we checked it out. The first 100 feet or so were great, but then it turned to this:

That is of course, way steeper than it looks and those rocks were all loose babyheads! We made it through the rocky section, but the next part was a ledgy downhill. We were a bit leary of trying it on the "big bikes" (Duke was on his 950) in case we had to turn around and couldn't get back up the ledges. So, we turned around and found a much cooler road instead!

We climed up out of the valley and ended up on the top of a big grassy dome with a faint 2-track running off into the distance! What the hell! Lets follow it!

Even had to do a couple of water crossings!

The road just went on and on!

We made it back to the main road, then headed for Saguache and some yummy bacon cheeseburgers and shakes!!

Then went the last 45 miles by highway to home!

It was a great day!
Bonnie Abbzug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 06:05 PM   #15116
Nice_Rumble
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,165
Safari Tank

Two things I don't want to worry about on long rides are running out of gas and getting a flat. With the Safari I can eliminate one of them.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/212396922304662/

Promote responsible trail riding and trail stewardship.
Nice_Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 06:13 PM   #15117
Kjharn
Hrmph?

Oddometer: 1,139
Hey guys, quesrion for you.

While unloading my bike for the first time back in April, the bike bike got away from me and fell over in the truck The plastic cover for the turn signal button broke off. I didn't have a problem with it until last week. Now, it's super, SUPER hard to cancel. It literally takes me five minutes to cancel it, and by the time I do, my thumb is sore from jabbing the metal rod

Anyone know how to fix this, or how to get a new plastic cover?
Old 06-16-2010, 06:17 PM   #15118
Nice_Rumble
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Abbzug

It was a great day!
OK, I'm seriously envious! You guys are living in the middle of adventure riding country. I hope to get a taste of your beautiful state at the end of July while riding the CDR south to north.

Nice_Rumble screwed with this post 06-16-2010 at 06:33 PM
Old 06-16-2010, 06:20 PM   #15119
Nice_Rumble
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjharn
Anyone know how to fix this, or how to get a new plastic cover?
Knowing Yamaha you'll probably have to buy a new turn signal switch.

Old 06-16-2010, 06:29 PM   #15120
Bonnie Abbzug
Property of Hayduke

Oddometer: 10,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice_Rumble
OK, I'm seriously envious! You guys are living the middle of adventure riding country. I hope to get a taste of your beautiful state at the end of July while riding the CDR south to north.

Actually, the CDR runs very, very close to where we were riding today!
Bonnie Abbzug is offline   Reply With Quote