Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2008, 08:49 AM   #1561
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by montesa_vr
A six mph top speed increase is a big gain. If that translates to the dyno results like I'm afraid it will, I'll be eating crow about aftermarket pipes.

A lot of people are using this FMF pipe on the WRR. What are the instructions for maintenance? Does it have packing that needs regular replacement? Anybody tried one and gone back to stock because of the noise? (Desperately trying to find something negative here to justify my opinions before HF humiliates me with his dyno results.)
I'm a big fan of mufflers you don't have to repack, but sadly a vast majority of aftermarket pipes are the old fashioned glass-packs. Wish FMF would do no-repack pipes. The big bike manufacturers tend to make purely mechanical (and quieter) OEM versions, which is nice but they also tend to be heavy and choked down for all the regs.

Vendors like Staintune (also from Oz-land) make great mechanical mufflers that are light, http://www.staintune.com.au

From their site: "There is never a need to internally service or repack a stainless steel muffler because the packing material is a spun stainless steel wool. It will not disintegrate or blow out, ever. There are no rivets and there is no way to open the muffler up to get to the internals."

http://www.staintune.com.au/exhausts...AMS_WR25RX.htm

With increasing anti-offroad riding pressure I'm all for quiet, but I do like a nice note out of the can too. Decisions, decisions.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 08:52 AM   #1562
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

I'm thinking, FMF Power Bomb header pipe, Staintune can, FMF programmer, hmm, zero maintenance, yes.....
Old 12-14-2008, 08:52 AM   #1563
Jaynen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopaMundial
A 250 mile day is one fill up.
I've done that several times on a stock WRR with no problems. I try to stay off the slab and stick to roads that are more fun and scenic, but no problems with the bike or comfort etc.
You've already got a windscreen, so it should be even easier on you.
One very simple mod that I would recommend trying before anyone goes to the trouble of replacing the stock seat is bicycle shorts. They make for a much more comfortable ride (on any motorcycle), and you don't lose any of the positive aspects of the stock seat.
uhh I get 60 miles per gallon reliably. If you are getting 250 miles off a 1.9 gallon tank of gas then you are achieving something no one else has with the bike. Ah I think you mean a total of 2 tanks only one stop for fuel which at empty and my normal mileage still puts me shy of 250

The only issue is how much dirt is acceptable to keep the windscreen on at, the realy gnarly stuff I generally just remove it. And all day dirt sections if we are not hitting 50-60+ then the screen doesn't make its biggest improvement
Jaynen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 08:57 AM   #1564
GordMounce
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
I'm guessing he means starting with a full tank, then filling up partway through.

I'm waiting to see the pics of the RV tank - then I'll have a range that big. It costs a few bucks, but if it replaces the plastic shrouds with the tank, then I'll save $100 on a rad guard in the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaynen
uhh I get 60 miles per gallon reliably. If you are getting 250 miles off a 1.9 gallon tank of gas then you are achieving something no one else has with the bike. Ah I think you mean a total of 2 tanks only one stop for fuel which at empty and my normal mileage still puts me shy of 250

The only issue is how much dirt is acceptable to keep the windscreen on at, the realy gnarly stuff I generally just remove it. And all day dirt sections if we are not hitting 50-60+ then the screen doesn't make its biggest improvement
GordMounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 11:52 AM   #1565
scottmac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg

With increasing anti-offroad riding pressure I'm all for quiet, but I do like a nice note out of the can too. Decisions, decisions.
I raced in a hare scramble with Sjsabre a while back and a soundcheck
was mandatory on every bike as part of the pre-race signup.

The Q4 passed with no problems whatsoever. Last weekend while doing
our big DS ride I was riding alongside Sj's stock R on the highway. Both
of us were doing about 70MPH and there seemed to be very little difference
between our bikes in sound output. I could easily hear his stock exhaust
over mine at that speed.

Now I wished I had asked the guy at the HS just what DB our bikes were
putting out respectively....
scottmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 12:23 PM   #1566
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmac

over mine at that speed.

scottmac, what is FMF's recommended re-packing interval?
Old 12-14-2008, 12:57 PM   #1567
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmac

over mine at that speed.

Standby, I'll have all the numbers for you shortly. Just waiting for the wind to die down so I can measure the Q4. Its been howling at 30+ mph for 2 days solid (gusts 40 - 60). Its been crazy! Blew my meat smoker off the porch. Ripped my pool cover clean off the pool.

HF
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 01:55 PM   #1568
Dale950
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 966
Just out of curiosity what fuel consumption are you guy's getting out of the wr250r ? How are they going as a duel sport bike cruising on the black top at speed 60 - 70 mph ? Riding 200 - 300 klm's a day too much ?

Cheers Dale
Dale950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 02:59 PM   #1569
Conner
Charlie Ringo

Oddometer: 308
Or...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg
I'm thinking, FMF Power Bomb header pipe, Staintune can, FMF programmer, hmm, zero maintenance, yes.....

I kept the stock pipe. Carefully cut the spark arrestor off, and clamped it to a Graves tip. Sounds good with the FMF programmer.

Conner in Sacramento
Conner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 03:16 PM   #1570
NorthCoastRider
Livin' the dream

Oddometer: 245
Quote:

That's about as easy as the hills get around here. I would rate thate a 1 or 2 out of 10. It's actually pretty amazing what the stock tires will do offroad. I made through a few intermediate trials loops with the stock tires. I would credit the fuel injection and handling more to my sucess than the tires though.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:07 PM   #1571
CopaMundial
Wow, that broke easy

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
Ah I think you mean a total of 2 tanks only one stop for fuel which at empty and my normal mileage still puts me shy of 250
Yeah, that's what I meant.
Leave home with a full tank.... drive 125 miles, fill up, turn around and come home.
I've done that at least 3 times, but this was all on-road mind you, and there are a lot of gas stations around here so no great risk from riding past one with the low fuel light on.

My comment was less intended towards gas mileage, and more towards comfort. You mentioned that you may not be able to get a new seat or airhawk prior to your 250mile day. I was just trying to say that you shouldn't spend money fixing the seat until after you had tried cycle shorts first.
CopaMundial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 05:31 PM   #1572
Jaynen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 618
Ill have to try it as a cheap option first. I have some bike shorts but they have a looser short over them for mountain biking. Ive heard the under armor ones work very good. Ive never ran my bike more than 100 miles without filling up since the light comes on at like 80 or so. But thats mainly because I am commuting on the superslab and dont want to be surprised by the engine cutting out
Jaynen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 05:51 PM   #1573
YamWOW!
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
Here's some pictures of my latest farkles. Our friend Stuckinmud has a powdercoating setup so I decided to shoot some of the parts Yamaha Blue.

Here I'm using a heat gun to pre-heat the parts. It's COLD outside today and the garage with the oven isn't heated. You can see the oven on the right.

Here's some of the parts waiting to go into the oven. Powdercoat is great stuff, you shoot the part, bake for 15 minutes, let cool and your done!

Here's the parts, just out of the oven. The bag of blue powder is in the background. Sure is cheaper than buying all these anodized blue.

Here's a shot of the front brake hose clamp and guide. Matches the blue plastic perfect!

Here you can see the timing plugs, chain guide, axle block, and custom Yamaha sticker on the swingarm.

Brake reservoir cap and mount, axle block, and Yamaha rotor guard.

Brake reservoir cap.

Another custom sticker......Northwest Adventure Rider!

Overall shot of the stickers.

More mods (Pimpin) to come!

YamWOW!

Check out the WR250R/X forum: CLICK HERE
Check out the Pacific NW DualSport Forum: CLICK HERE
KTM 530 EXC-R
BMW F800GS

YamWOW! screwed with this post 12-14-2008 at 06:32 PM
YamWOW! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 06:54 PM   #1574
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

Oddometer: 1,808
Quote:
Ill have to try it as a cheap option first. I have some bike shorts but they have a looser short over them for mountain biking. Ive heard the under armor ones work very good.
I've taken many 250 mile day rides on a TE510 which has a seat like a board compared to the WR. This was only accomplished by using top-end cycling shorts under my ride pants. I've used both the Pearl Izumi Pro Microsensor (~$120) and the Attack shorts (~$60). However I've also spent 4 or 5 hour rides on a road bicycle 75+ miles which may have prepared me for the TE510 2X4. There was one ride I went on and forget to bring the cycling shorts.. NEVER will forget them again. I'd suggest trying the Pearl Izumi Attack shorts before spending money on a new saddle.
Fast1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 07:04 PM   #1575
vfxdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale950
Just out of curiosity what fuel consumption are you guy's getting out of the wr250r ? How are they going as a duel sport bike cruising on the black top at speed 60 - 70 mph ? Riding 200 - 300 klm's a day too much ?

Cheers Dale
A couple of weekends ago my g/f & I did a fairly short but very arduous enduro on our WRR's which was around 100Kms away- we were knackered when we got home but not from the road miles. Consumption seems to be around 60-70mpg (sorry, can't think metric with fuel consumption), and they cruise happily around 65-70mph with stock sprockets. Only time I wanted more grunt was for overtaking someone going only slightly slower (and making their ute and trailer really wide), otherwise road performance was excellent for a 250. As I normally ride much bigger and faster street bikes, it's very enjoyable to be able to cane the arse off a road bike yet not worry about going to jail. Buy one, and look forward to a lot of inexpensive fun.
vfxdog is offline   Reply With Quote