Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2010, 08:59 PM   #15751
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bake
I've asked Tami to evaluate the caliper shield.The axle pinch bolts are the forward attachment. I'm looking at a version of this guard that would incorporate a disc guard. The challenge is to make it light enough to be a reasonable addition, and strong enough to help protect the disc.
I'd like to make a carbon fiber disc guard, as I know it would meet both targets; however, do we want a $125 disc guard for a disc that costs $93 to replace?
i don't look at protection that way.

i see protection as giving me a better chance (after dumping) of riding the bike home w/ all the controls still working & straight vrs (in the case of a bent front disc) having to stop attempt to straighten it or remove the caliper to get home (as thus no front brake).

so even if the protection is more than the part it's still about protecting my ride as i might be in the middle of nowhere.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:56 PM   #15752
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,206
More Pics from Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy
......the other guys have yet to post their reports/pics.....Mike's report should feature a lot of pics of my WR250R (which performed flawlessly!!! )

http://dualsport-sd.com/forums/index...wtopic=8029&hl=
Click on the link above and go to posts 18 & 19 for additional pics by Mike........word is leaking out ........Mike captioned a few WR250R pics with........"Anywhere"
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com

Crawdaddy screwed with this post 07-14-2010 at 11:18 PM
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:27 AM   #15753
dirthauler
rolling rototiller

Oddometer: 1,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadx
Nice. As mentioned, the previous owner put a 52 tooth on my wife's WR, but they totally removed the guard because the chain ran so high above the swingarm. Sometimes I think it would be nice if there was something there. Not that it would probably slow down a snapped chain much, but every bit helps. Plus might help avoid an errant stick or foot from whacking the chain and the associated chaos it that cause. So you just trimmed some of it back and left the vertical side part sticking up?
if you can look at a stock guard, i just used a bench grinder and removed the last half inch or so, that last taper kick down on the end. It's an inspection item here in maine, it's gotta stay on, it'll come off in the middle of next month after i get my inspection done, just gotta remember to put it back on for next year at this time. Anyone know how much strech i can expect to get out of this renthal o ring chain?

happy that there is now a maine small bikes thread
dirthauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:10 AM   #15754
SheWolf
Under Your Bed

Oddometer: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins
i don't look at protection that way.

i see protection as giving me a better chance (after dumping) of riding the bike home w/ all the controls still working & straight vrs (in the case of a bent front disc) having to stop attempt to straighten it or remove the caliper to get home (as thus no front brake).

so even if the protection is more than the part it's still about protecting my ride as i might be in the middle of nowhere.
+10 Well put. Something is better than nothing, and even if the unit is double what the replacement cost is of the rotor, at least you've got something protecting it.

2009 WR250R

http://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/forum.htm
SheWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:46 AM   #15755
bash3r
I ain't no DingWeed

Oddometer: 1,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy
Click on the link above and go to posts 18 & 19 for additional pics by Mike........word is leaking out ........Mike captioned a few WR250R pics with........"Anywhere"
AHAHA That's great.. really cool photo of you way up on the rock. seem's time does tell when others see the little 250 that COULD!!CAN!!&DOES!! Nice riding Chris..

ADV Gear | 3 Step Hideaway |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:00 AM   #15756
GsVs
Goin' Somewhere

Oddometer: 1,399
Next T-shirt

Hey Bash ...

You should use that quote in some form on your next T-Shirt

"WR250R -- the little 250 that COULD!!CAN!!&DOES!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bash3r
AHAHA That's great.. really cool photo of you way up on the rock. seem's time does tell when others see the little 250 that COULD!!CAN!!&DOES!! Nice riding Chris..
Old 07-15-2010, 09:16 AM   #15757
debaisley
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,423
anybody know off the top of their head what oil drain plugs from other motorcycles fit the WR ?
debaisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:37 AM   #15758
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,542
KLR for one.
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:11 AM   #15759
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,864
My chain slider was nearly worn through when I last had the bike apart, ordered a new one and replaced it today. Some notes I hope will be helpful:

1)My chain slider was nearly worn through when I pulled the suspension apart at ~5900 miles for its second greasing. Lowered an inch, lots of hard riding, decent amount of 2-up, and a 12T sprocket. It was not worn through at the end where you can see it however, but directly under where the slider goes over the bump in the swingarm for the pivot shaft. Your chain slider can be worn through and not look like it at the end. If it is worn out at the end it is already cutting into your swingarm. Which leads to...

2) I ordered a new slider, which took ~10 days to get to me. I ride every day as my bike is my sole motorized form of transportation. I filled in the grooves in the slider with black RTV and let it set up. Riding daily and normally for the 10 days waiting for the new slider, the RTV held up just fine to solo and 2-up riding (admittedly on a new chain and 13/46 sprocket setup compared to the previous 12/43 and stock chain). If you're out in the middle of a trip and can't wait for a new slider, black RTV will get you home.

Heading to west virginia for another DAMN ride saturday and sunday. Back on a MT43 rear tire too (this time with a rim lock).
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:27 AM   #15760
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,542
If hard plastic and the aluminum underneath it won't stop a chain from eating through, I have a really, really hard time believing rtv silicone will do anything at all to even slow it down. I doubt jb weld would even do much at all.

fwiw - my original one was worn through at 6k miles. I was running 12/43. Now I'm running 13/47 and am at 12k miles with very little wear on my new slider. I'm thinking the 12T was part of the problem since I'm now 6k miles into my new slider with very little wear running the 13T, whereas it was worn completely through at 6k when I was running a 12T. Just a thought.
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:45 AM   #15761
debaisley
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,423
I can confirm that JB weld does nothing , i remember using some on my XRL and it lasted maybe 20 miles.
debaisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:11 PM   #15762
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,864
I'm not saying its a permanent fix, nor am I saying that it didn't cut into the RTV as well. Putting the RTV down acted as a replacement for the worn away hard plastic and was wearing away as if it was the chain slider instead of having the chain cut into my swingarm. I had about 200 miles on it and it was worn halfway through the RTV layer (which I had originally layed down to fill the grooves completely, essentially making the guard as thick as stock), whereas before the guard was paper thin (thin enough to be translucent) and would have surely worn into my swingarm by now. Its mainly meant to be an idea on how to slow down the damage when you're in the middle of BFE on a trip or like me stuck waiting on a part.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:19 PM   #15763
bash3r
I ain't no DingWeed

Oddometer: 1,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by skierd
I'm not saying its a permanent fix, nor am I saying that it didn't cut into the RTV as well. Putting the RTV down acted as a replacement for the worn away hard plastic and was wearing away as if it was the chain slider instead of having the chain cut into my swingarm. I had about 200 miles on it and it was worn halfway through the RTV layer (which I had originally layed down to fill the grooves completely, essentially making the guard as thick as stock), whereas before the guard was paper thin (thin enough to be translucent) and would have surely worn into my swingarm by now. Its mainly meant to be an idea on how to slow down the damage when you're in the middle of BFE on a trip or like me stuck waiting on a part.
Good to know skierd.. thanks for the info on this temp fix. 10 days is a lot of time for you when the WR is your only means of transportation, good to know its held up that long..

ADV Gear | 3 Step Hideaway |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:49 PM   #15764
dirthauler
rolling rototiller

Oddometer: 1,719
well, after a little bit of riding about, got three quarter turns on the adjusters worth of strech in the chain, all the race guys that i talk to say it'll strech a bunch for about 5 hours of hammering on it then there will be next to none untill right near the end of its life when it will start streching again. love the new ratio though, way, way! more managable in the woods

happy that there is now a maine small bikes thread
dirthauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:27 PM   #15765
mnormand
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirthauler
love the new ratio though, way, way! more managable in the woods

I agree, I'm at 13/48 now, should have done this earlier. Great fun now for sure. I'm no MX jockey but at least I can lift the front so much easier now for short water crossings

Loaded up with bike on 4runner now, wife and I leaving tomorrow after work for a week in Arkansas. Sat/Sun nights in MountainView town square bluegrass jamming with mandolin, then two days around Ozark, two days near Hot Springs/DegrayLake, then ??, then home. She'll take the truck and shop, and I'll ride the hills some almost everyday.
mnormand is offline   Reply With Quote