Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2010, 09:26 PM   #15781
Roam
If you want to

Oddometer: 1,046
I'm starting my TAT ride tomorrow and am hopping to update the following thread as I go along so I probably won't be visiting this thread unless something horrible happens to my bike. I'll be back in 6 weeks

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...2#post13486252

Roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:02 PM   #15782
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughtwg
I'm starting my TAT ride tomorrow and am hopping to update the following thread as I go along so I probably won't be visiting this thread unless something horrible happens to my bike. I'll be back in 6 weeks

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...2#post13486252

Good luck! Have a great ride

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 06:15 AM   #15783
Hardroad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Machtig

Great Idea I think, I did this to my Airplane exhaust system. Worked great.

Let us know what you think.

Hardroad
Hardroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 06:35 AM   #15784
Teep
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teep
I've had my WR listed in the flee market for a while hopeing it would not sell but now with the situation at home I have lowered the price to just get rid of it, a real shame, but life is too short to let a bike spoil a long marriage. If you know someone wanting to join in the fun take a look: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...5#post12723855

Garry
All I can say is a big THANKS. After my accident and the wife insisting I get rid of the bike it all came down to it not selling and my decision to give it to my son. This really didn't suit her, the boy will get hurt (he's 34). So she has decided that after all this I can keep the bike.

I just want to say thanks for no one buying it. Now my previous plans for a ride to Big Bend and even Alaska are back on the table. Plus I get to ride almost every day.

Garry
Teep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 06:39 AM   #15785
dirthauler
rolling rototiller

Oddometer: 1,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teep
All I can say is a big THANKS. After my accident and the wife insisting I get rid of the bike it all came down to it not selling and my decision to give it to my son. This really didn't suit her, the boy will get hurt (he's 34). So she has decided that after all this I can keep the bike.

I just want to say thanks for no one buying it. Now my previous plans for a ride to Big Bend and even Alaska are back on the table. Plus I get to ride almost every day.

Garry
sweet! hope it all come out well

happy that there is now a maine small bikes thread
dirthauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 07:30 AM   #15786
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,977
stupid question. my bike is "for sale" though I wonder how much do I really want to sell it.

I don't ride it much 500 miles in 2 years and there it sits. while I'm not Dick Burleson and I'm not 20 anymore my time in "the woods" on the bike has been less than fullfilling due to the power delivery.

I find myself in first gear most of the time as if you get it moving along enough to get into 2nd there is a drop off and then if you want to run 2nd you'd better be moving pretty quick and the power at that point is not right for the job, "in the woods" being the key term, not on a fire road. I like the bike on a fire road where you can wind it up a little. or lot.

so my question is how much does gearing REALLY change the power and for those who may have gone with a 300 kit and gearing change, how drastic is the change of the power compared to stock. Are we talking effortless casual lofting of the front end at will or are we talking something less dramatic.

thank you.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:06 AM   #15787
kyns
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug

so my question is how much does gearing REALLY change the power and for those who may have gone with a 300 kit and gearing change, how drastic is the change of the power compared to stock. Are we talking effortless casual lofting of the front end at will or are we talking something less dramatic.

thank you.
The stock gearing is too tall, even for street riding. Why don't you get a 12 tooth front sprocket and try it out. I have a 13/47 and sometimes on a MX track on full attack the front wants to fly on third... Next set will propably be 13/48.
kyns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:08 AM   #15788
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,748
Don't do the 12 front. It will eat the swingarm. Go big on the back sprocket. The stock gearing is ridiculously tall like was mentioned already.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:17 AM   #15789
kyns
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayjars
Don't do the 12 front. It will eat the swingarm.
Yes, it might eat it, but he could quickly and cheaply try lower gearing with the 12 tooth. It's like ten bucks... Before selling it...?
kyns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:25 AM   #15790
Chadx
Off the road again..

Oddometer: 2,165
I think the recommendation to try the 12 tooth is a good one. You don't have to run it for thousands of miles (though I did with no damage). You can try it for a couple hundred miles and see if you like that gear ratio or want to go deeper. 12/43 is falls between 13/46 or 13/47. I ran 12/43 for over 2,000 miles and it helped me decide to go with 13/48 which has proven to be an all around great gear for me. This is all with a D606 on the back, though, so my 13/48 is closer to a 13/46 with standard height tire.

My wife's WRR has 13/52 and standard height rear tire and that is great on the trail, but I don't like it on the road. Above 60mph or so, it gets buzzy. That is fine for her, though, since she doesn't ride that bike on the road much and doesn't take that bike much over 65mph. The low gearing there definitely helps liven things up a bit plus she doesn't need to feather the clutch as much in the slow going. First is deep enough that it can pull through whatever within any clutchwork.

That being said, nachtflug, this will never be as peppy as a race 250 or 450, but then, you'll never have to do a valve check at 100 hours and an oil change after every ride, either. I've not modded mine for more power because I get a kick out of wringing it's neck all day long, but those that have done the exhaust, programmer, and airbox mods have really gained a good percentage of power without all the work and expense of a 290 kit. Still, you are pushing nearly 300lbs vs. 235lbs of some of the race 450 bikes. But I sure seem to be a lot fresher after 9 hours of aggressive trail riding compared to when I trail rode my CRF450R.

Chadx screwed with this post 07-17-2010 at 08:32 AM
Chadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:57 AM   #15791
dirthauler
rolling rototiller

Oddometer: 1,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadx
I think the recommendation to try the 12 tooth is a good one. You don't have to run it for thousands of miles (though I did with no damage). You can try it for a couple hundred miles and see if you like that gear ratio or want to go deeper. 12/43 is falls between 13/46 or 13/47. I ran 12/43 for over 2,000 miles and it helped me decide to go with 13/48 which has proven to be an all around great gear for me. This is all with a D606 on the back, though, so my 13/48 is closer to a 13/46 with standard height tire.

My wife's WRR has 13/52 and standard height rear tire and that is great on the trail, but I don't like it on the road. Above 60mph or so, it gets buzzy. That is fine for her, though, since she doesn't ride that bike on the road much and doesn't take that bike much over 65mph. The low gearing there definitely helps liven things up a bit plus she doesn't need to feather the clutch as much in the slow going. First is deep enough that it can pull through whatever within any clutchwork.

That being said, nachtflug, this will never be as peppy as a race 250 or 450, but then, you'll never have to do a valve check at 100 hours and an oil change after every ride, either. I've not modded mine for more power because I get a kick out of wringing it's neck all day long, but those that have done the exhaust, programmer, and airbox mods have really gained a good percentage of power without all the work and expense of a 290 kit. Still, you are pushing nearly 300lbs vs. 235lbs of some of the race 450 bikes. But I sure seem to be a lot fresher after 9 hours of aggressive trail riding compared to when I trail rode my CRF450R.
+1, some minor mods and a regear go a long long way to making the bike alot more fun for trail riding.

happy that there is now a maine small bikes thread
dirthauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:04 AM   #15792
debaisley
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,424
13/47 with all the exhaust and intake mods , she is a very nice woods machine. , 2nd and 3rd gear all day on the trails.
debaisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:10 AM   #15793
Chadx
Off the road again..

Replacement clutch cable - longer

I've been a bit concerned about the reach of my stock clutch cable since I raised my bars over the winter, so it's time to find one an inch or two longer. I do have an OEM cable laying here that I ordered as a backup, but decided I really need a longer one. Anyone have any suggestions on brand or source? When I try to look one up on MotorcycleSuperstore for example, I first open up the various manufactures clutch cable offerings, but it then wants the make and model and the WR250R is not in there. Besides, I don't want an OEM length, I want one an inch or two longer than stock. Where is a good source and good way to order a longer clutch cable ensuring I get the correct end fittings for our WRR?
Old 07-17-2010, 09:48 AM   #15794
Chadx
Off the road again..

Sargent seat comparison

So it took me a few days. Big deal. So what.

So here are some side by side comparisons of the stock seat and the Sargent Seat I just received. I've now put 100+ miles on it (all street so far) and really like it. The slightly deeper trough than stock is a non-issue. No sliding forward. I'm very glad that I asked them to try to keep the front of the seat at the stock height rather than letting them dip it way down.

The seat material is ideal. Grippy and stretchy and it allowed them to make the cover with no visible seams. The closed cell foam offers much more support. The overall width is not the 11" that they had done for the street WR250X seat for Motorcyclist. My widest width is about 9.25". The stock seat is just shy of 7" in that same spot which is about 2/3 of the way back. About 1/3 of the way back, the sargent is 7" where the stock is about 5.25". At the very front of the seat, where you sit when weighting the front tire and riding really aggressively, the sargent is pretty close to stock width.

I purchased a stock seat from someone and had them ship it directly to Sargent in Florida. The seat arrived at the Sargent facility on June 28 and they shipped the completed seat to me on July 06 (8 calendar days later). I received the completed seat, here in Montana, yesterday July 13. So it was 2 weeks from their receipt of the seat to delivery. Pretty great if you ask me!

But, on to the pictures.

I tried to keep the same focal length and distance between the next two images. Note that neither seat is bolted down. The stock seat sat down where it would ride if secured, but the sargent seat isn't broken in so since it wasn't bolted down, the back sat a bit higher that where it is when bolted down.

Here is the stock seat.

Sargent seat:

On the ground comparisons.

Again, the seat is not bolted down in this image:

I have yet to add the spacers to the safari tank brackets, so, exactly like the stock tank, there is currently a gap between the tank and seat. Adding the spacers, to raise the back of the safari tank, should fix this.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:17 AM   #15795
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadx
...Besides, I don't want an OEM length, I want one an inch or two longer than stock. Where is a good source and good way to order a longer clutch cable ensuring I get the correct end fittings for our WRR?
Motion Pro will make exactly what you want to your specs. Good company.

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/...tegory/cables/

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote