User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2010, 11:16 PM   #15961
xcel
Reviewer

Oddometer: 62
Hi All:

Although I have some Speedometer/Odometer calibration to complete tomorrow, it is essentially finished. I still have to lower the rear end by an inch but that is minor compared to the rest… I hope ;)

2010 Yamaha WR250X

Almost ready :)

Some riding tomorrow afternoon to see how she runs.

Farkles: Moto Billit/Fastway Rear Rack and F5 pegs, Ricochet Skid plate (oh is it a nice aero mod too ;)), RockSpeed FX 2" Anti-Vib risers, Spyder Anti-Vib Soft grips, Slipstreamer Spitfire windscreen, IMS early prototype tank, Giant Loop Fandango Tank Bag, 14/40 GYTR gearing, MSR Fuel bottle, Fused 12V power wired up to the Garmin 1490 attached to a Ram Mount and Avon Distanzia’s.

I went to a local gas station and filled a 1.0 gallon can w/ .99 gallons, came back and dumped it all in. No leaks so I crossed my fingers, turned the key, and she fired up within a second. I let it idle for about 15-seconds as I want to find out the new tanks actual capacity which will have to wait until tomorrow. We have Tornado Watches and Warnings along the IL/WI border this morning.

I sure hope I get the chance to see some of the vista's out west that some of you have experienced while on your WR's over the past few years...

Wayne

xcel screwed with this post 07-22-2010 at 11:27 PM
xcel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 05:50 AM   #15962
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,398
xcel - just a little note on comfort . . . I would unbolt and remove that seat strap pronto. When you're traveling long distance you'll want to shift around on the seat quite a bit and that thing will start digging into your rear end.
Krabill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 05:52 AM   #15963
notarat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabill
xcel - just a little note on comfort . . . I would unbolt and remove that seat strap pronto. When you're traveling long distance you'll want to shift around on the seat quite a bit and that thing will start digging into your rear end.
Not to mention the increased drag ruins your gas mileage
notarat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 05:58 AM   #15964
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,856
Very nice Wayne!

Oh, to add to your MPG exploration. This past weekend I took a trip out to WV with some locals, including another WRR (BigBird's). The ride home I got to ride in the same group as BigBird and inadvertently got to compare MPG's figures between our bikes. Down several of the best gravel and fresh twisty paved roads I've yet been on, up and over Dolly Sods, pretty well hammering on the bike and throttle the whole time, his low fuel light came on ~20+ miles earlier than mine. He has an FMF Q4+header and a Power Commander, I have just the Q4+PP, not sure if our gearing is the same. Roughly guess, he was getting in the high 40's and I'm getting in the high 60's.

Intrigued, at the last gas stop I filled up and reset one of the odometers on my GPS. 67.1 miles later I filled up with 1.0xx gallons. This was hammering down CR55 in West Virginia, basically 40 miles of switchbacks and sweepers on race track smooth pavement, plus 20 miles of tight back roads and a creek crossing. Only thing to note is I was for once running 100% and not ethanol blended gas.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:05 AM   #15965
rydnseek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,888
That's about what i get with normal riding, skierd.. Unless i get on the interstate & put in some 70mph riding, i usually get in the 60's. I have a fmf powercore 4, header, & programmer (set to factory settings). I usually use quite a bit less than my riding buddies.. don't know why. In Moab in may, i rode with 2 other wr's. They both used more gas than me at fill up, & we went on the same roads, same route.

BTW, my odo is off by about 1%. I've checked it with gps & mileage markers on long road rides. Stock gearing with a little bigger rear tire put my odo very close.

+1 on the strap.. don't really need it, anyway, & it gets in the way when sliding up & back.

Very cool setup, Wayne.. looks good! ..a nice touring setup. Only my electric scooter would get better mileage.. as long as it's only a 20 mile ride..
rydnseek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:09 AM   #15966
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,195
Light my Fire

One of the clubs I belong to, the Big Bear Trail Riders, is hosting the "Moonlight Madness" ride tomorrow night: http://bigbeartrailriders.com/conten...item_id=133023

I'll be heading up tomorrow morning to help ribbon the course and download tracks at registration......I'll probably sweep/pull ribbon with one of my buddies too......

Night rides never interested me much with the candle flicker headlight on my KTM.......likewise, the stock stator on my KTM doesn't have the juice to run my dual HID helmet lights consistently (I've tried).......

So, once again, I find myself in a situation where the WR250R "shines" since it has a true street bike headlight and the 350 Watt alternator has plenty of juice to power the stock radiator fan, heated grip elements, GPS, helmet lights, etc., etc. all at the same time.......electrical power for accessories is a non issue with the WR250R ......so I can not only travel ANYWHERE ........I can travel ANYWHERE..........at night

Light my Fire

http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com

Crawdaddy screwed with this post 07-23-2010 at 10:17 AM
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:19 AM   #15967
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpjump
.....Near Berga, Spain in the Pyrenees......
Nice place to ride.....
Old 07-23-2010, 10:19 AM   #15968
SheWolf
Under Your Bed

Oddometer: 629
Chris where did you get those?

2009 WR250R

http://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/forum.htm
SheWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:21 AM   #15969
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheWolf
Chris where did you get those?
Trailtech: http://trailtech.net/helmet_light_kits.html
Old 07-23-2010, 10:41 AM   #15970
xcel
Reviewer

Oddometer: 62
Hi Krabill:

Thanks for the tip on the seat strap. That is definitely coming off now!

Notarat :P

Skierd, that is interesting just as Scott’s rides with the same group and he ended up with better mileage. What really intrigued me was you blast on the asphalt with 20-miles of trail mixed in and you still pulled 67 mpg! The WR impresses me more each time I read a new write-up.

Regarding Ethanol laced Summer RFG E10 fuel, that stuff is an FE killer (2 to 4% normally with some reports of up to 10% loss with the Winter formulations even worse) and unfortunately, almost impossible to escape no matter where in the country you are located nowadays. When running events for the cage manufacturers, I always try and source non-ethanol laced fuel for that small little push. During the Ford Fusion Challenge in Washington DC last year, Ford and their BP connections saw (4) 5-gallon containers of the fresh non-ethanol laced fuel shipped in all the way from Chicago's local refinery in Joliet, IL. While all that comes out of it for the "average consumer" is RFG E10 due to the EPA non-attainment mandates... The stuff (non-ethanol laced fuel) even smells better!

Scott, was it you or possibly Chadx that was discussing the EFI controller and how it appears to run rich with residue on the tailpipes of others you have ridden with while riding similarly setup WR’s? Watching all the vids from your off-road (and some on) adventure two weeks back showed me that you are a very conscientious and smooth rider which surely helps with the FE. I wonder if many are throwing a lot of fuel away by running wildly rich after tuning?

Regarding riding styles, while on the Dragon last month, one of my cohorts was on the 1200 GSA running in second and third gear most of the time (according to him) while I was following on the 1200 GS with an HD Hero attached. I kept him in frame for the entire 11 + miles and was even riding the brakes during some downhill sections so as to not run him over. I was running in fourth, fifth, sixth and even had the big boxer shut down in some instances? Over 2,000 miles, he pulled 47 on the GSA while the GS I rode allowed 57. I am definitely a higher gear seeking, lower speed, and softer throttle rider than probably anyone else (a pussy rider for lack of a better term) as WOT is as foreign to me as an Eskimo at the equator. Running the OEM WR top speed and speedo error test(s) late last month was quite exhilarating however

Good Luck

Wayne

xcel screwed with this post 07-23-2010 at 11:11 AM
xcel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:56 AM   #15971
Light_n_Fast
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
For those of you that run heavy duty tubes, do you find it necessary to run at lower tire pressures to get the same overall "feel" from your tires?

I ask this because I hadn't really thought about it before, but after recently putting some heavy duty tubes in my distanzias and running at the same pressures I usually use on road (28F, 30R) it feels like my tires have really poor grip - almost as if they are over-inflated.

It makes sense to me that the stiffer/thicker tubes would have an effect like this, I just hadn't thought about it and had never heard anyone mention it before. Can anyone confirm that I'm not just going crazy?

I guess I'm going to have to play with tire pressures a bit. Suggestions for how much to drop it?
Light_n_Fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:30 AM   #15972
mnormand
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Ive missed keeping up with this thread. But the trade off is ive been riding all over Ark since Saturday. Hauling the WR around on back of 4runner, almost every day i ride the hills while wifey shops flea mkts an stuff. Dirt gravel an backroads. Been to Mountain View, Oark, Russellville, Petit Jean Park, Degray Park. Prob 500+ miles on bike so far while here. We were going to head hm to s La today, but with trop storm in fla comin at us next, decided to stay this wkd. So i sit here with coffee at Macks Fish House in Heber Springs after great meal (9.5 rate) about to get back on bike an back to Moutain View for wkd. Wifey to meet there later, an jamming with my mando on square all wkd. Whoo!

Its been awesome so far! Ark is great!!!
mnormand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 05:48 PM   #15973
jimrobinette
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
Trailtech helmet light kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy
Chris,

Do you run two spots or floods, or a mix of each? Do you see any need to buy the battery pack since the WRR has so much juice?
jimrobinette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:40 PM   #15974
Machtig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
Thumper Racing Big Bore data

Recieved my big bore kit back from Thumper Racing with the big bore sleeve installed. I measured the mass of the stock and TR piston.

Stock piston, with rings installed is 189g. Thumper Racing BB piston, with rings installed is 209g, so an increase of 20g, not 6 or 8g as mentioned earlier.

However, the stock wrist pin is 50g vs 43g for the included Thumper racing wrist pin. Therefor total mass for the stock piston/wristpin is 238g and the Thumper Racing BB piston/wristpin is 251g, or an increase of 13g over stock.

Rick Ramsey measured the mass of the Athena BB piston and reported it at 220g, but made no mention if that included the rings. Assuming the Athena BB kit uses the stock wrist pin, this puts combined mass at 271g, or 33g more than stock, and 20g more than the Thumper Racing kit.

Glad I went with Thumper Racing.
Machtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 11:45 AM   #15975
BluePill
AARP Slacker

Oddometer: 4,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Light_n_Fast
For those of you that run heavy duty tubes, do you find it necessary to run at lower tire pressures to get the same overall "feel" from your tires?

I ask this because I hadn't really thought about it before, but after recently putting some heavy duty tubes in my distanzias and running at the same pressures I usually use on road (28F, 30R) it feels like my tires have really poor grip - almost as if they are over-inflated.

It makes sense to me that the stiffer/thicker tubes would have an effect like this, I just hadn't thought about it and had never heard anyone mention it before. Can anyone confirm that I'm not just going crazy?

I guess I'm going to have to play with tire pressures a bit. Suggestions for how much to drop it?

Do you have an R or X? Factory recommends F = 18 & R = 25 for the R; 29 F&R for the X.

FYI, I found that on my R when I installed D606's I wanted to run lower pressures because they have stiffer sidewalls than the stock Trailwings.

As a rule of thumb, I have no problem running up to 20% lower than factory pressures as long as I am not riding at a constant speed above 60MPH or in 85 degree or higher temps. The idea is to avoid excessive tire temperatures which increase the chance of failure.