Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2010, 11:20 AM   #16051
kawagumby
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 853
Yeah, it's plastic. The entire seat is very much heavy duty construction, more so than stock...but that's a good thing IMO. I had mine custom made, with an additional inch of height just behind the tank, Corbin's standard design is too low there, IMO, and makes you feel like you're going to slide forward too easily. With the extra inch the seat feels perfect to me and I don't have long legs (I'm 5'10").
The seat sure helps me a lot on longer rides, the stock seat just killed me after only 20 minutes or so, as I have busted up SI joints from crashes. If I couldn't get a good seat (I modified the stock but it wasn't good enough) I was going to sell the bike, but now I'm riding the snot out of it.
kawagumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 11:24 AM   #16052
kawagumby
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiMotorcyclist
Fuel pumps really still on back order?
Geez man, come on yamaha, if that is accurate it's just beyond sad.
We're into the 3rd model year and dang near 2011 already.
I ordered a back-up pump on 7/12 and it shipped today after a couple days of backorder. The day I ordered it I was told there were 4 pumps in the CAL warehouse.
kawagumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:38 PM   #16053
oilfieldtrash
I don't wanna be a noob

Oddometer: 233
Fuel Pump

Just got on here to ask a question about a backup fuel pump and I see several posts about it on this one page. This is clearly an issue that Yamaha refuses to address.

Took my WR250R in today Baker Boys in OKC to get the leaky fork seals replaced after a whopping 1,000 miles on the bike. Not very good longevity IMO. I asked the service adviser about the fuel pump issues on the WR250R and he says he's heard nothing about any problem. How is it that these guys are immersed in Yamaha motorcycles all day and know nothing of this problem? He also looked up some info and said he sees no info from Yamaha on bad pumps. I then ask him about ordering a backup and he says Yamaha has none in stock. Doesn't that make it obvious that this is an issue? Stealerships are so clueless.

I am going to order one anyways online b/c I'm going on a trip to Ouray, CO late August and would like a backup. For those of you in the know is the fuel pump all I need or will I need to order additional gaskets etc.?

BTW, if anyone's interested in going on the trip check out the Ouray, CO trip thread on TWTEX.com.
oilfieldtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:49 PM   #16054
simmons1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfieldtrash
Just got on here to ask a question about a backup fuel pump and I see several posts about it on this one page. This is clearly an issue that Yamaha refuses to address.
I just ordered one to stick on the shelf myself. It will give me piece of mind, or I may be able to help another rider some day.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:55 PM   #16055
oilfieldtrash
I don't wanna be a noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmons1
I just ordered one to stick on the shelf myself. It will give me piece of mind, or I may be able to help another rider some day.
Did you just order the pump or is their any other parts I would need to order with it?
Old 07-28-2010, 01:00 PM   #16056
notarat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by debaisley
that corbin seat have a metal seat pan ? looks heavy
The seat is about 4-5 kilos and has a thick plastic base. probably too tough to shoot a staple through if one were to decide to modify it and recover it.

I took more pics of it but let's face it, it's a seat so more pics doesn't really matter.

The only thing to note is that they embroidered their logo/name in blue on the blue carbon fiber looking vinyl so that it doesn't stand out so much.
notarat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:24 PM   #16057
simmons1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,439
Quote:
Did you just order the pump or is their any other parts I would need to order with it?
I just ordered the pump. $193 + shipping from Service Honda. From what I have read it looks like reusing the gasket is no problem.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:45 PM   #16058
R_Lefebvre
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machtig
I realize the computer is programmed to know that the cams run at half the speed of the crank, but if the CPS is sending a signal every revolution of the crank, the computer has to have someway to know whether its the compression stroke or exhaust stroke. Hence my dilema.
One way it could tell is by looking at the signal from the crank position sensor. If it's a multi-tooth sensor, then it can see not just the position of the crank at TDC, but also the speed of the crank. It can see the crank slowing on the intake stroke, and speeding up on the power stroke. Some car systems are sophisticated enough to detect exactly which cylinder on of a V8 is misfiring.
R_Lefebvre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:10 PM   #16059
oilfieldtrash
I don't wanna be a noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmons1
I just ordered the pump. $193 + shipping from Service Honda. From what I have read it looks like reusing the gasket is no problem.
I just ordered the pump. The price was $213 + shipping. Not sure why it was $20 more. Supply and demand I guess. It will be well worth it to not get stranded 800 miles from home.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:22 PM   #16060
error cooled
anything but asphalt

Oddometer: 1,163
Quote:
I just ordered the pump. The price was $213 + shipping. Not sure why it was $20 more. Supply and demand I guess. It will be well worth it to not get stranded 800 miles from home.
Ugghhh... I paid a good bit more.

Did anyone get a lead time on fulfillment? I would like to have mine in had by mid- August.
error cooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:30 PM   #16061
oilfieldtrash
I don't wanna be a noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by error cooled
Ugghhh... I paid a good bit more.

Did anyone get a lead time on fulfillment? I would like to have mine in had by mid- August.
Stealership wanted $335 w/ taxes for it this morning. My entire bill from Service Honda was $266.90 and that was for the pump, throttle cable, clutch cable, and shipping.

I'm hoping to have mine by the end of August before I leave for my trip to Ouray, CO.

oilfieldtrash screwed with this post 07-28-2010 at 02:37 PM
Old 07-28-2010, 02:57 PM   #16062
OKDQ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 539
Quote:
Stealership wanted $335 w/ taxes for it this morning. My entire bill from Service Honda was $266.90 and that was for the pump, throttle cable, clutch cable, and shipping.

I'm hoping to have mine by the end of August before I leave for my trip to Ouray, CO.
Hey I'm gonna ride with you since you got all the spare parts! So if I need a fuel pump while out on the trail how much mark up are you going to charge?
OKDQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:22 PM   #16063
oilfieldtrash
I don't wanna be a noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKDQ
Hey I'm gonna ride with you since you got all the spare parts! So if I need a fuel pump while out on the trail how much mark up are you going to charge?
Since we're friends I can't see charging any more than $600.

A funny thought did cross my mind. What if your pump goes out, we put the spare on your bike, then mine goes out. Guess we would have to ride 2 up.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:18 PM   #16064
zrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
pump performance???

Does anyone know the performance of the fuel pump? PSI, internal or external pressure relief and pounds or gallons per hour? Some pumps are rated in grams per hour.

I have installed external pumps of a few race bikes. Far more reliable and about the same price. Also it is able to draw fuel from the lowest point. There are a lot of really good racing pumps available that are for EFI and VERY small and light weight. I'm thinking that is the way I am going to go...

Funs Starting Again!!!
WR250R, TE510, 90 OW02, R1, 97 Cherokee
86 FJ600, 87 FZR1000, 88 OW01,77 CCM 550 3speed, 78 CR250, 75 Husky 360WR, 76 CCM 610, Triumph Tiger Cub 200
75 Pursang 250, Greeves, 74 CR125, RD360, CT175, Hodaka, Honda SL90
zrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:59 PM   #16065
Attico
Wrong way 'round

Oddometer: 1,841
Please do post your results. I was thinking along the same lines. Here is the except from the factory service manual:

FI SYSTEM
The fuel pump delivers fuel to the fuel injector via the fuel filter. The pressure regulator is installed in
the fuel rail, and maintains the fuel pressure that is applied to the fuel injector at 245–255 kPa(34.8–36.3 psi) (2.45–2.55 kg/cm2). The fuel injector is operated due to signals from the ECU, and injects fuel into the intake manifold. Since fuel is supplied only for the duration of injection, good fuel economy is obtained. The injection duration and the injection timing are controlled by the ECU. Signals that are input from the throttle position sensor, crankshaft position sensor, intake air pressure sensor, intake temperature sensor and coolant temperature sensor enable the ECU to determine the injection duration. The injection timing is determined through the signals from the crankshaft position sensor. As a result, the volume of fuel that is required by the engine can be supplied at all times in accordance with the driving conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrider
Does anyone know the performance of the fuel pump? PSI, internal or external pressure relief and pounds or gallons per hour? Some pumps are rated in grams per hour.

I have installed external pumps of a few race bikes. Far more reliable and about the same price. Also it is able to draw fuel from the lowest point. There are a lot of really good racing pumps available that are for EFI and VERY small and light weight. I'm thinking that is the way I am going to go...