Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2010, 10:40 PM   #16366
jimrobinette
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydnseek
Still, the times that happens are rare, & the rest of the time the power of the wr is sufficient.
Couldn't concur with you any more! This is the only time I've ever had any issue with speed. I don't need to go any faster on the dirt. I have 1500 miles on the bike, and this past weekend I did 36 miles of pavement, in two sections. One 29 miles and the other eight. That is the most I have ever ridden it on the slab in a weekend. I bought the bike as a dirt bike that I can legally connect the dots with. I have no need/desire/requirement to ever really go any faster on the slab, as that is not why I bought the bike. Maybe one day I can emulate the Crawdaddy loop of the Grand Canyon, or something like that, but right now I am into dirt/trails and maybe, just maybe even sand .....and happy as can be with the little 250R!

It was Crawdaddy's posts in Oct of last year about buying the bike that convinced me to leave the quad and get the bike. I haven't ridden my brand new 2009 Honda TRX-450ER since Dec. :-(
jimrobinette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 01:15 AM   #16367
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilW
I find that tucking down like some crazed flat-tracker, with my elbow on my knee, hand across the tank is good for about +4 mph. I'm pretty sure people are laughing at me as they go by, but they have to exceed the speed limit by a fare bit to pass. Mind you, I can't hold that position for too long, but a few minutes is tolerable. If I tilt my head just so, I can get a little lift off my visor and relieve a couple of pounds I would otherwise have to hold up. Aerodynamics is a wonderful thing, just not so much on this bike.

aka Boondocker
Try grabbing the left fork leg. It has the same effect and looks more cool
tremor38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 05:44 AM   #16368
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,712
I know beans about fuel pumps and such so this may be neither here nor there, but sounds like the Yamaha scooter folks are getting their pumps for $100 or less:

http://www.zumaforums.net/phpBB3/vie...ba8a7&start=15

Surely us motorcycle folks aren't paying twice the money for the same pump?

Sarah
Old 08-13-2010, 06:36 AM   #16369
z@ch
Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer: 4,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by greer
I know beans about fuel pumps and such so this may be neither here nor there, but sounds like the Yamaha scooter folks are getting their pumps for $100 or less:

http://www.zumaforums.net/phpBB3/vie...ba8a7&start=15

Surely us motorcycle folks aren't paying twice the money for the same pump?

Sarah
Is it the same part # between bikes or is it just the same electrical pump within a different housing for each model?
z@ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:05 AM   #16370
Highliner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Just curious how many ADV posters have actually had a fuel pump fail on them? I see alot of people who are concerned and only Krabill has actually had troubles but never a failure that left him stranded... I think

I'm wondering if it people are getting vapor lock type symptoms due to ethanol in the fuel or they are just overheating.

I know my 08 WR stumbles when cold but runs perfect otherwise.

Highliner screwed with this post 08-13-2010 at 07:24 AM
Highliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:25 AM   #16371
Nice_Rumble
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highliner
Just curious how many ADV posters have actually had a fuel pump fail on them? I see alot of people who are concerned and only Krabill has actually had troubles but never a failure that left him stranded... I think

I'm wondering if it people are getting vapor lock type symptoms due to ethanol in the fuel or they are just overheating.

I'd say quite a few riders have had failed pumps given that until now the US warehouse was completely out of stock.
Nice_Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:30 AM   #16372
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highliner

HF's bike left him stranded 1,000 miles from home. Good thing he had the truck to get it home.

Mine didn't leave me stranded because yes, it did re-start (and will still start and run - for a while), but what it did do was quit on me while I was riding in traffic. NOT fun . . . and dare I say possibly even a little bit dangerous.
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:38 AM   #16373
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by z@ch
Is it the same part # between bikes or is it just the same electrical pump within a different housing for each model?
Just the same electric pump. The Zuma guys actually have a float for the gas gauge on theirs.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:46 AM   #16374
rydnseek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilW
I find that tucking down like some crazed flat-tracker, with my elbow on my knee, hand across the tank is good for about +4 mph. I'm pretty sure people are laughing at me as they go by, but they have to exceed the speed limit by a fare bit to pass. Mind you, I can't hold that position for too long, but a few minutes is tolerable. If I tilt my head just so, I can get a little lift off my visor and relieve a couple of pounds I would otherwise have to hold up. Aerodynamics is a wonderful thing, just not so much on this bike.

aka Boondocker
+1.. with my fancy custom seat that everyone secretly envies, i can get down very low sliding forward, hook my heels over the passenger pegs, & almost touch my helmet at the handlebar. Like you say, it gives a few more mph's at speed, & i think better mpg's, too. On long slab rides, i vary my sitting position a lot. I guess looking ridiculous has never bothered me.. many years of practice has desensitized me to the laughter in the gallery. Tucking down to a sport bike position is a nice change & decreases buffeting, somewhat.

If i know i'll be doing a lot of pavement, i pop on my windscreen. That really helps. Then you can tuck just a little & even get your helmet out of the wind.

I've thought some about the aerodynamics, too.. i've thought it doesn't need the scoops.. the left scoop is only for symmetry, but even the right one could be eliminated. we have the fan for extra cooling, & if we're cruising, it gets enough air flow. I've thought a bigger tank could be made without making the wings/scoops at all, but it would lose it's dirt bike look. It doesn't need to be as big as a sport bike's tank.. we don't need that much capacity, but a tank could be made with better aerodynamics.

We'd need an adjustable fender, too. ..something that can click down to just over the tire for those long road rides, but can pull up & snap to the higher position for dirt & mud.. don't know how that would happen with the suspension & all.. just speculating.

Other than those, the rider causes the most wind drag.. perhaps we can ditch our protective gear, shave & paint our bodies with latex for the most aerodynamic riding. Of course, we'd lose a lot of riding buddies that way..
scotty
rydnseek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:55 AM   #16375
malibu_dan
Adventuring Mystic

Oddometer: 1,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy
I still catch a lot of shit from some buddies who are hard core "Big" bike guys.......they think I'm insane because I ride the little WR250R girl bike almost exclusively now .......one of my friend's posted up a question for me today on our local site......thought you might enjoy it....

http://dualsport-sd.com/forums/index...n-big-v-small/
I'm guessing your 'girl' bike has seen more tough terrain than most of their big boy bikes!

HOWEVER, you need to be understanding of the large displacement crowd. They're a little fragile. That's why they need all the extra horsepower to make up for their lack of skills.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:59 AM   #16376
malibu_dan
Adventuring Mystic

Oddometer: 1,507
Quote:
Other than those, the rider causes the most wind drag.. perhaps we can ditch our protective gear, shave & paint our bodies with latex for the most aerodynamic riding. Of course, we'd lose a lot of riding buddies that way..
scotty
Oh, no, you didn't Scotty...

Now I hafta go wash my eyeballs out with rubbing alcohol to try and etch that mental image from my mind.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:10 AM   #16377
jimrobinette
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
Quote:
....Other than those, the rider causes the most wind drag.. perhaps we can ditch our protective gear, shave & paint our bodies with latex for the most aerodynamic riding. Of course, we'd lose a lot of riding buddies that way..
scotty
Blue Man Group on Blue Girl Bikes!
jimrobinette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:19 AM   #16378
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,795

Krabill screwed with this post 08-13-2010 at 08:38 AM
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:46 AM   #16379
mnormand
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Re Fuel Pump:

I'm vin# 1698 and 02/08, so far no fuel pump probs yet, 5000+ miles. Bike is all stock. But with a 3gal IMS tank change coming later, I decided to order the fuel pump anyway.

Since after searching all the boards, I didn't see the part number, so I called Service Honda -Mail Order Parts 1-800-828-5498. Complete fuel pump assembly part# on their site was 3D7-13907-00-00 price was $213.29, as of today there are about 11 in stock at present between their suppliers. I was unclear if all these were in/out country, but I think in-country. She told me 5-7days for delivery via UPS who should be emailing me delivery updates. As always, verify everything for yourself as needed.

Posting all of this for those of you that might be down and out at present. Good luck!
mnormand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:57 AM   #16380
Nice_Rumble
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,244
Safari 3.5 Gallon Tank

If anyone is looking for a Safari 3.5 mine is for sale. I bought it from yamWOW! and needed it only for the CDR we rode in July.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...4#post13733914
Nice_Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote