ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-14-2010, 12:55 PM   #16396
Chadx
Off the road again..
 
Chadx's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Bozeman, Montana
Oddometer: 2,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSize
I picked up a left over 07, build 3/07 and my pump failed with only a 100 miles.
A U.S. '07 WR250R? That would be quite the unique beast. Tell us more...
Chadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 04:08 PM   #16397
Mr. Fisherman
Ray soon to be AWAY!
 
Mr. Fisherman's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Packing the bus!
Oddometer: 10,546
Got me worried...

Mine was built 5/08. It is about as hot as it gets here and I am planning to go on a pretty remote ride tomorrow... Haven't had a problem yet...

Is there a list somewhere of the failed pump build dates. My ailing memory seems to think it was early 08 and mostly Feb and March build dates... have there been any May 08 build date failures reported?
Mr. Fisherman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 04:47 PM   #16398
bash3r
I ain't no DingWeed
 
bash3r's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Wentzville, MO
Oddometer: 1,697
Mine is 1/08, 5,300ish miles on it, it's 95+ here and ran from 9am till 4pm today, no issues at all since I got it first of Sept. 09. I'm running Safari tank. I'm hoping mine doesn't fail ... in Idaho one of the guys had a 2/08 WR pump fail, we were running in thick woods 1st gear for miles and he turned the key, nothing....

Waited for a bit, then started up...it never died while running, just if he killed it and it was hot & wouldn't start or prime. Bad thing is he got it replaced from a local Yamaha dealer in Idaho, but the pump was off a 2/08 bike too

Do we know what other Yammy's use this same/similar pump? And the new pumps look the same visually?

Anyone get theirs replaced under warranty or extended warranty?

Yamaha needs to make this right...
__________________
08' Yamaha WR250R
09' Yamaha WR250F
14' BMW F800GSA

ADV Gear | 3 Step Hideaway |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 05:23 PM   #16399
Attico
Wrong way 'round
 
Attico's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Oddometer: 1,797
Anyone hear of an 1/08 fail? That's what i got serial number 00000054 but i'm in canada. I don't recall seeing an 01 build month failure. Seems to be in the 1500's and month 2 to 4-5?



Quote:
Originally Posted by bash3r
Mine is 1/08, 5,300ish miles on it, it's 95+ here and ran from 9am till 4pm today, no issues at all since I got it first of Sept. 09. I'm running Safari tank. I'm hoping mine doesn't fail ... in Idaho one of the guys had a 2/08 WR pump fail, we were running in thick woods 1st gear for miles and he turned the key, nothing....

Waited for a bit, then started up...it never died while running, just if he killed it and it was hot & wouldn't start or prime. Bad thing is he got it replaced from a local Yamaha dealer in Idaho, but the pump was off a 2/08 bike too

Do we know what other Yammy's use this same/similar pump? And the new pumps look the same visually?

Anyone get theirs replaced under warranty or extended warranty?

Yamaha needs to make this right...
__________________
“If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine; it is lethal.” (Coelho)
Attico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 06:00 PM   #16400
emerson.biguns
All idiot, no savant
 
emerson.biguns's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: The Old Pueblo
Oddometer: 10,006



Dingweed is dead in the water an hour from home with fuel pump problems. Mrs. Weed is on the way with the rescue trailer.

The old WR is starting to look like a troublemaker on the road. He and BigDog had gas/fuel issues on their trip.


.
emerson.biguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 06:17 PM   #16401
Nice_Rumble
Beastly Adventurer
 
Nice_Rumble's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: New London, NH
Oddometer: 2,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by emerson.biguns



Dingweed is dead in the water an hour from home with fuel pump problems. Mrs. Weed is on the way with the rescue trailer.

The old WR is starting to look like a troublemaker on the road. He and BigDog had gas/fuel issues on their trip.


.
Plus a fried clutch due to the mud in Arizona.
__________________
Friend us on Facebook to learn about up coming 2014 DARC Adventure rides Vermont, MA and RI.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/212396922304662/
Nice_Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 06:28 PM   #16402
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer
 
tremor38's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Japan
Oddometer: 1,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by emerson.biguns



Dingweed is dead in the water an hour from home with fuel pump problems. Mrs. Weed is on the way with the rescue trailer.

The old WR is starting to look like a troublemaker on the road. He and BigDog had gas/fuel issues on their trip.


.

They are having the darndest luck, arent't they? Maybe this will change Big Dog's opinion of the WRR from untouchably perfect to 'darn good dual sport bike.' Prolly the best 250cc dual sport when you look at the big picture. It just bothers me when people get unrealistic.
tremor38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 06:39 PM   #16403
jimrobinette
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Monterey, CA
Oddometer: 379
Fuel pump failure timing?

Doesn't is seem like the fuel pumps have been failing at an alarming rate the last month? I guess it is all heat related, with July/Aug the time we have seen the recent rash. Was there such a rash last summer?
jimrobinette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 06:56 PM   #16404
Mr.Metal
Amateur Explorer
 
Mr.Metal's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 32
Bad luck for sure, but no bike is perfect. Let's not forget they are taking a very long and very grueling trip. Failure can occur to anyone at any point, but putting heavy stress on parts can speed up those problems. The problems they've been having seem well-known or at least not shocking. I think it could be way worse.


Quote:
Originally Posted by tremor38
They are having the darndest luck, arent't they? Maybe this will change Big Dog's opinion of the WRR from untouchably perfect to 'darn good dual sport bike.' Prolly the best 250cc dual sport when you look at the big picture. It just bothers me when people get unrealistic.
__________________
2009 WR250R, a.k.a. The Dirt Destroyer
2008 V-Strom 650, a.k.a. The Road Warrior
Mr.Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 07:55 PM   #16405
emerson.biguns
All idiot, no savant
 
emerson.biguns's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: The Old Pueblo
Oddometer: 10,006
Just from a quick chat with Scott (Dingweed) after I saw his SPoT stop moving, he mentioned that he and Mark had identical problems within 10 miles of each other after a fill up and headed south near Hell's Canyon. Scott noticed some relief after after using an ethanol treatment. So, the initial thought was gas problems. Scott noticed increased problems/symptoms the farther south he got. I'll let them comment on all the details, but from the recent posts here and their experience, it sounds like maybe a combo of gas(ethanol) and heat cause premature failure?

Scott also mentioned a change in the "prime" sound of the fuel pump on key turn before starting.

Come to think of it, they both have Safari tanks. Anyone with the "telltale" failure that is still using a stock tank?

.
emerson.biguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 08:31 PM   #16406
bash3r
I ain't no DingWeed
 
bash3r's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Wentzville, MO
Oddometer: 1,697
Many folks with stock tank have the same issue. First I heard of it was all on stock bikes..

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerson.biguns
Just from a quick chat with Scott (Dingweed) after I saw his SPoT stop moving, he mentioned that he and Mark had identical problems within 10 miles of each other after a fill up and headed south near Hell's Canyon. Scott noticed some relief after after using an ethanol treatment. So, the initial thought was gas problems. Scott noticed increased problems/symptoms the farther south he got. I'll let them comment on all the details, but from the recent posts here and their experience, it sounds like maybe a combo of gas(ethanol) and heat cause premature failure?

Scott also mentioned a change in the "prime" sound of the fuel pump on key turn before starting.

Come to think of it, they both have Safari tanks. Anyone with the "telltale" failure that is still using a stock tank?

.
__________________
08' Yamaha WR250R
09' Yamaha WR250F
14' BMW F800GSA

ADV Gear | 3 Step Hideaway |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 11:32 PM   #16407
scottmac
Beastly Adventurer
 
scottmac's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: La Selva Beach, CA.
Oddometer: 1,502
I've got a 2/08 vin with 12,000+ miles on the stock fuel pump.

And it's been sitting in a Safari tank for the past year, one of the first
Safaris delivered.

My guess is it's a combination of things. How often have you ran the pump
completely dry? Heat and the fuel blend you're running.

I just read a ride report where a KTM owner up in Canada went through
six fuel pumps in a couple of weeks of riding so if the WRR can get by with
one swap I'm stoked.
scottmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 01:47 AM   #16408
edteamslr
Gnarly Adventurer
 
edteamslr's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Oddometer: 198
Canadian Import in the UK

Mine is 1/08 0041. Only 2,000miles so far and slightly worried. It doesn't get very hot here but I'm taking it to Russia next year so it looks like I'll have to find space to add a fuel pump to my luggage!
edteamslr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 04:58 AM   #16409
Teep
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Mid-Missouri
Oddometer: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by edteamslr
Mine is 1/08 0041. Only 2,000miles so far and slightly worried. It doesn't get very hot here but I'm taking it to Russia next year so it looks like I'll have to find space to add a fuel pump to my luggage!
I have a 1/08 with 7000 miles and so far so good. It's been hot here for the last month. I fuel up as soon as the light comes on.

Garry
Teep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 06:07 AM   #16410
SuperSize
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Salt Lake City
Oddometer: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadx
A U.S. '07 WR250R? That would be quite the unique beast. Tell us more...
Typo sorry. Its a 08. Stock tank also.
__________________
XR650R
WR250F
Super Tenere
SuperSize is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014