Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2010, 08:47 PM   #16426
Mr. Fisherman
PROUD 2B Riff Raff!

Oddometer: 10,658
Machtig, Do you have any details on your ignition switch mounting?

How did you deal with the tamper proof bolts on the stock bracket?

Looking good by the way. Did you go with the provided EFI controller or are you running an aftermarket? You probably listed it already but reading is hard

Sure looking good. I was supposed to be riding right now but I am at wurk. I will be out soon though and I did ride to work but that just ain't the same.
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:49 PM   #16427
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,228
Heat Shield for FMF Powerbomb

Has anyone adapted a generic heat shield for their FMF Powerbomb header?......I wear shorts a lot which exposes my inner right leg to heat since my knee guards dont cover everything.....
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:54 PM   #16428
Bgunn
Mucha distancia

Oddometer: 1,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by DingWeed
It was a FANTASTICK ride!!

Thanks again everyone

Scott

Looking forward to a ride report. When you left our boat shop on Coeur d'Alene lake, Rick's bike wasn't charging. Did he get it resolved?
Bgunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 10:27 PM   #16429
Machtig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fisherman
Machtig, Do you have any details on your ignition switch mounting?

How did you deal with the tamper proof bolts on the stock bracket?

Looking good by the way. Did you go with the provided EFI controller or are you running an aftermarket? You probably listed it already but reading is hard

Sure looking good. I was supposed to be riding right now but I am at wurk. I will be out soon though and I did ride to work but that just ain't the same.
I'm sporting the Thumper Racing Big Bore, not Athena. I'm running a Power Commander USBIII with a custom Thumper Racing map.

The ignition switch is in the stock location. I only moved the instrument cluster. I did have to cut the stock mount off but I don't ever plan on going back to stock, so no biggie in my book. If I do, I'll just buy a new mount I just didn't want to have to deal with those tamper proof bolts right now.
Machtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 10:41 PM   #16430
DingWeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machtig
Doh! That blows. Are you still running the stock case saver/cover or the VWsandman one? How big was the rock? 12T, 13T, 14T?
Sandman saver-----13tooth

All my fault...It felt like I was just spinning the rear tire.

Several rocks bound up between engine case and sprocket......It took about an hour with a tire iron to free the chain!!!.....(that is removing the mud and rocks) Sandman casesaver and guard is great!

Scott
DingWeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 10:49 PM   #16431
DingWeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgunn
Looking forward to a ride report. When you left our boat shop on Coeur d'Alene lake, Rick's bike wasn't charging. Did he get it resolved?
Thanks a million for all the help!!!

No...He just kept both of the batteries charged up. He could get about 1 and a half days of riding out of 1 battery.

You guys were tripsavers!!!

Thanks again for all the help!!!!

Scott
Old 08-15-2010, 11:35 PM   #16432
Dave37
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Ok, I've been wanting one of these forever. I have kept up with this thread since it started. Am I crazy for wanting to trade my VFR in for a WR?

One of the biggest things I was worried about was not being able to take longer trips on the smaller 250. It is obvious this bike is capable of any long trip you guys can throw at it. I am no longer worried about that. I would definitely miss the VFR, but I can get another one later down the road...

'03 Aprilia Caponord
'99 Honda VFR800Fi - Sold
'00 Honda XR650R SM
My Smugmug
Dave37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 02:14 AM   #16433
kyns
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnek
Ok so I posted on here about my WR with a build date of 2/08. The bike died a couple of times after I loaded it up for a weekend ride, while running around the block. It was 100+deg.

I left for the trip anyway, and I figured that if it is heat related that it will break while on this trip and get it over with. It was 100+ for most of the trip this weekend. I did a little over 600 miles on the WR with no fuel issue what so ever. The major issue my poor backside.

From what I have read the bike will not die all at once, but will rather only start after cooling (sometimes).

I read about 200 pages of this thread before I noticed the bike die. Then I *thought* I heard the priming sound change. I think that reading all of the posts made me overly suspicious of the fueling issue.

Few people post about how reliable the pumps are, and I wonder how many pumps have failed compared to the number sold that were built in early 08?

I guess less than 10%.

I do ride alone mostly, and ride in relatively remote areas, but I do take enough food/water in case I have to hoof it out. I plan on running mine till she blows and hope for the best. Time will tell.

Same here, not worried, 6000+ miles, no problems. Will NOT be buying a back up pump... $$$ If mine breaks, oh well. I have run mine allmost empty many times this summer and it's been really hot here.

If it is heat related. Maybe having Safari tank increases the chances of having a pump go bad. The right side/wing of Safari tank is right behind the radiator. A lot of heat comes true there. Does Safari have that aluminium foil/foam heat shield under it either? Safari tank is allso completely exposed to sun. The stock tank is allmost completely covered by the side shrouds.
kyns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 02:51 AM   #16434
Leipo
'08 wr250r

Oddometer: 230
Quote:
I'm sporting the Thumper Racing Big Bore, not Athena. I'm running a Power Commander USBIII with a custom Thumper Racing map.

The ignition switch is in the stock location. I only moved the instrument cluster. I did have to cut the stock mount off but I don't ever plan on going back to stock, so no biggie in my book. If I do, I'll just buy a new mount I just didn't want to have to deal with those tamper proof bolts right now.
I'm thinking about raising the stock instrument cluster since I can't see it very well with my raised handlebars and IMO+MD roadbook combo (they create a kind of tunnel effect)

did you run into any problems? are the wires long enough or did you have to reroute/lenghten them? is cutting the mount needed or only if you fit that bigass light?

btw: my pump made a different sound priming the other day (it was louder), should I be worried? 08 wrr and don't know the build date (since that isn't on the VIN plate here in Europe...)
Leipo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:39 AM   #16435
Machtig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leipo
I'm thinking about raising the stock instrument cluster since I can't see it very well with my raised handlebars and IMO+MD roadbook combo (they create a kind of tunnel effect)

did you run into any problems? are the wires long enough or did you have to reroute/lenghten them? is cutting the mount needed or only if you fit that bigass light?

btw: my pump made a different sound priming the other day (it was louder), should I be worried? 08 wrr and don't know the build date (since that isn't on the VIN plate here in Europe...)
Yeah, if you don't go with the bigass light, no need to move the mount, just unbolt the cluster and move it. The wires are plenty long enough. I still need to clean up the wiring a bit and tie it down, but there is plenty of length to move it.

FWIW, I'm running my pump till it blows chunks. Then I'll replace it. I've got an '08 build and about 5k miles, no issues yet.

One thing that is rarely mentioned here, but these bikes need a good ground to operate correctly. I had a very slightly loose negative terminal connection and it caused all sorts of weird things to happen with the bike. Make sure your battery terminals are tight.
Machtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:51 AM   #16436
emerson.biguns
All idiot, no savant

Oddometer: 10,241
Quote:
One thing that is rarely mentioned here, but these bikes need a good ground to operate correctly. I had a very slightly loose negative terminal connection and it caused all sorts of weird things to happen with the bike. Make sure your battery terminals are tight.

Cable to battery or cable to frame connection?

emerson.biguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 03:58 PM   #16437
DingWeed
Gnarly Adventurer

IMHO the "fuel pump problem" is too much ethanol in the fuel!!

We had some problems in north Idaho and a bike mechanic turned us on to Star Brite Star-Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment. It did help!! The only problem was that I did not have any more of it the closer I got to home!! I picked up some today,treated my fuel, and have been riding around Tucson with no problems at all!!!!!

To the best of my knowledge,there is no ethanol in Tucson gas, in the summer months because this is what happens when you have too much ethanol and temps are high!!

I would suggest getting some Star-Tron and see if that works!!

Just my opinion.......I am not looking for an argument!

Scott
Old 08-16-2010, 06:40 PM   #16438
simmons1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,408
The UPS man just delivered my new fuel pump
Old 08-16-2010, 06:56 PM   #16439
bhmax
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Regarding ethanol and the Japanese fuel pump recall, does Japan have ethanol in their gas?
bhmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:29 PM   #16440
CopaMundial
Wow, that broke easy

Oddometer: 1,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhmax
Regarding ethanol and the Japanese fuel pump recall, does Japan have ethanol in their gas?
Uhh... recall?

CopaMundial is offline   Reply With Quote