Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2010, 07:18 AM   #16456
Nice_Rumble
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfieldtrash
New fuel pump came in today. I'm open to ideas from anyone.
Given how fragile the pump is carrying it on the bike will put it at risk from damage. I would just swap out the old with the new and be good to go.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/212396922304662/
Nice_Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:24 AM   #16457
Nice_Rumble
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins
why not just put the new one in and keep the old one shelf.
We were just out your way riding the CDR north in July. Stayed at the Rabbit Ears Motel. BMW of NA was also staying there on there way south on the CDR led by Rawhyde Adventure Tours.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:33 AM   #16458
simmons1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice_Rumble
Given how fragile the pump is carrying it on the bike will put it at risk from damage. I would just swap out the old with the new and be good to go.
That is exactly what I plan on doing with mine. The old one will be dried and boxed up ready to go in case I ever it need it shipped to me from home.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:03 AM   #16459
MiamiMotorcyclist
used to be -MiamiUly

Oddometer: 1,854
Quote:
New fuel pump came in today. Old one is still working but I'm going on a trip 14 hrs away from home so I decided I didn't want to risk screwing up the trip over a $200 part that people are obviously having numerous problems with.

The pump is bigger than I thought it would be and the box it came in is way too big to carry around on the bike. Anyone carrying a spare with them currently? If so what are you keeping it in and what are you packing around it to keep it protected? I'm open to ideas from anyone.
What are the numbers on that here I wonder. Maybe 20 people that we have seen between here and TT.

Just curious and it's obviously somewhat of a problem but I think the internet might make it seem worse than it is.
Like with the 04 zx10R, a number of them have had generator problems that were horrible but a lot more of them never did. They still changed the design on later bikes but it's just an example.

A couple of those pumps went out too and they found a walboro car fuel pump that could replace it with only slight mods. I'm surprised no one has found something like that for this bike yet.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:17 AM   #16460
oilfieldtrash
I don't wanna be a noob

Oddometer: 232
Quote:
why not just put the new one in and keep the old one shelf.
Thought about that but then I think the one I have on my bike currently may run forever. Who knows? My bike is an 01/08 build and they don't seem to have quite as many fuel pump failures as the 02/08.

I'll probably just take it with me and leave it in the motel room we're staying at. If I get stuck 5 hrs from the hotel w/ pump issues I'll just find a way to deal with it.

Another reason I hate to swap it is I wanted to keep a new working pump available for other wr250r guys who get in a bind and need one shipped to them ASAP. I'd like to think that if I got in a bind somewhere someone w/ a wr250r would ship me a part if necessary. I know not everyone can afford to spend $220 for a new pump if not absolutely necessary. Fortunately I can and I like to help others out.
oilfieldtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:24 AM   #16461
oilfieldtrash
I don't wanna be a noob

Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiMotorcyclist
What are the numbers on that here I wonder. Maybe 20 people that we have seen between here and TT.

Just curious and it's obviously somewhat of a problem but I think the internet might make it seem worse than it is.
Like with the 04 zx10R, a number of them have had generator problems that were horrible but a lot more of them never did. They still changed the design on later bikes but it's just an example.

A couple of those pumps went out too and they found a walboro car fuel pump that could replace it with only slight mods. I'm surprised no one has found something like that for this bike yet.

I know what ya mean. I just know that I'd be super pissed if I drove 14 hrs somewhere to ride and my pump failed and I didn't have a backup. Then I'd have to find something to do for 5 days while the other guys rode until it was time to go home. That would drive me crazy.

I think the fact that the pumps have been back ordered proves that we are actually only hearing about a few of the failures. You'd have a tough time convincing me that Yamaha only had 20 pumps available to vendors at a given time. I think the demand proves the problem is a little more wide spread than 20 bikes.

Is there a way to know how many wr250rs have been produced? Would love to know that number.
oilfieldtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:13 AM   #16462
Light_n_Fast
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Perhaps someone that has had the fuel pump problems could try to disassemble the pump and determine what went wrong inside. Diagnosing just based on symptoms is a bit like taking shots in the dark.

BTW, my bike manufactured in 3/08 with about 14k miles on it, driven in all sorts of weather 30deg - 110deg with only 10% ethanol fuel has never had a problem with the pump. Neither has my buddy's 1/08 with 5k miles.

Replacing a pump that is not showing any symptoms of failure seems very silly to me.

EDIT - One other thing - I'm sure the ambient temperature is a contributing factor, but do a quick search online about failed fuel pumps. Most of the time it's because people let the fuel level get too low, be it a bike or car. Many people claim that running a vehicle completely out of gas even ONCE will ruin a fuel pump.

Light_n_Fast screwed with this post 08-17-2010 at 11:07 AM
Light_n_Fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 11:44 AM   #16463
DingWeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 452
[quote=bash3r]So are there any reports of someone replacing the stock fuel pump with a new one and it happening again with the new pump?

Great ?........ Would love to know the answer!

Scott
DingWeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:17 PM   #16464
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,211
[QUOTE=Nice_Rumble]We were just out your way riding the CDR north in July. Stayed at the Rabbit Ears Motel. BMW of NA was also staying there on there way south on the CDR led by Rawhyde Adventure Tours.

QUOTE]

right on. steamboat seems to be a HUGE spend-the-night pass thru spot for all types of riders (street & adv) as well as basecamp for offroad riders (hahns peak area).

everyday i see a ton of out of area bikes parked all over town.
by this i mean cruisers, sport tourers, adv bikes & everything in between.

also being on the cdr route (cr129), i see a huge volume of adv bikes (heading north & south).
i'm constantly giving the adv salute.

looks like your pic is from cr14/river road (at chuck lewis parking area?)
looking east towards fish creek canyon.

rabbit ears always has bikes parked outside for the night.
you soak across the street?
http://steamboathotsprings.org/
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:28 PM   #16465
eakins
Butler Maps

more than likely just one small part causing the issue. probably electrical and more than likely bad production of that part.

would be good if someone did, but you might never visually see the issue.

if yami did a japanese recall, it was early builds and so maybe some of those bad parts sliped through on 2/08 us-bound bikes.

are other countries reporting issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light_n_Fast
Perhaps someone that has had the fuel pump problems could try to disassemble the pump and determine what went wrong inside. Diagnosing just based on symptoms is a bit like taking shots in the dark.

BTW, my bike manufactured in 3/08 with about 14k miles on it, driven in all sorts of weather 30deg - 110deg with only 10% ethanol fuel has never had a problem with the pump. Neither has my buddy's 1/08 with 5k miles.

Replacing a pump that is not showing any symptoms of failure seems very silly to me.

EDIT - One other thing - I'm sure the ambient temperature is a contributing factor, but do a quick search online about failed fuel pumps. Most of the time it's because people let the fuel level get too low, be it a bike or car. Many people claim that running a vehicle completely out of gas even ONCE will ruin a fuel pump.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:34 PM   #16466
eakins
Butler Maps

you logic is very odd?

the $200 expense is not an issue as you want the ride to go flawless (you'll be spending ALOT more for the whole thing) and you have the available funds.

so you buy a pump and save it on the shelf for the potential need of others (who are poor) and thus you're back to sacrificing your potentially flawless trip???

so your flush w/ $ and want a flawless trip. why not swap the pump and make it known to the wrr community you have a used but good working pump free or low cost to those in need?

are you just lazy to do the swap?
i don't get it?

Quote:
Thought about that but then I think the one I have on my bike currently may run forever. Who knows? My bike is an 01/08 build and they don't seem to have quite as many fuel pump failures as the 02/08.

I'll probably just take it with me and leave it in the motel room we're staying at. If I get stuck 5 hrs from the hotel w/ pump issues I'll just find a way to deal with it.

Another reason I hate to swap it is I wanted to keep a new working pump available for other wr250r guys who get in a bind and need one shipped to them ASAP. I'd like to think that if I got in a bind somewhere someone w/ a wr250r would ship me a part if necessary. I know not everyone can afford to spend $220 for a new pump if not absolutely necessary. Fortunately I can and I like to help others out.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:58 PM   #16467
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,188
Quote:
you logic is very odd?....are you just lazy to do the swap?
Wow, lighten up dude......
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:09 PM   #16468
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,448
i don't get it?[/quote]

Yeah, lighten up. Maybe you ought to spring with some cash & actually buy & own a WRR & make your opinions more relevant?

AZ TOM screwed with this post 08-17-2010 at 02:44 PM
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:33 PM   #16469
Machtig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
Quote:
you logic is very odd?

i don't get it?
Why swap out a known good, working pump, for an unknown and untested, but brand new pump?? Not logical at all.
Machtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:36 PM   #16470
Nice_Rumble
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
looks like your pic is from cr14/river road (at chuck lewis parking area?)
looking east towards fish creek canyon.

rabbit ears always has bikes parked outside for the night.
you soak across the street?
River Road, correct!

We did not make it across the street to the hot springs.