Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2010, 03:51 PM   #16471
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,791
For what it's worth, I wouldn't swap out a pump that was working for a new one.

I knew the early '08's had issues and yet I didn't preemptively swap mine out. I put over 12,900 trouble free miles on mine before my pump went out. It finally did go out, so I replaced it. In hindsight, I kinda wish I would have bought one a while ago to have sitting on the shelf so I wouldn't have had to wait almost 3 weeks to get mine. It would have been there already waiting for a quick swap.
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:55 PM   #16472
OKDQ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfieldtrash
Nothing odd about my logic. There is something a little odd about your social skills. I cannot figure out why rude people have such a difficult time keeping their mouths shut.

I have no clue if my pump is bad or if it will ever go bad. I'll simply have a spare pump handy w me on my trip should I need it. A guy going on the trip w me also rides a wrr so it'll be a little insurance for him as well.

I only go on a few trips a year so if inbetween trips someone gets stranded and needs a pump asap I'll send them mine, they'll pay me, and I'll order a new pump. Fairly simple to understand IMO.

I'm not rich and I've never called anyone poor. I'm just fortunate enough to be able to easily afford an extra pump and I'll be happy to help out others w the extra pump should the need arise. I'd probably even let your cynical ass use it.
+100. Your logic is dead on - especially since I'm the other wrr rider that might need that pump. lol

If you had not bought a spare pump I would have and I certainly am not going to replace the existing one until I need to.

Even tho it sounds like several pumps have failed, but I'd be willing to bet as a percentage of the total number of bikes produced in the failure range the number of actual failures represents a small percentage overall.

No stupid logic or laziness...just good old common sense IMO.
OKDQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 05:31 PM   #16473
sop
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Differences...2008, 2009 & 2010 WR250R?

Forgive me if this was discussed somewhere in this looooong thread....

Have there been any changes (other than graphics and any other insignificant stuff) to the WR250R from the 2008 model year to the present?
sop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 05:39 PM   #16474
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,758
The rear sprocket was changed. The 08 has this rubber chain buffer.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:45 PM   #16475
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKDQ
+100. Your logic is dead on - especially since I'm the other wrr rider that might need that pump. lol

If you had not bought a spare pump I would have and I certainly am not going to replace the existing one until I need to.

Even tho it sounds like several pumps have failed, but I'd be willing to bet as a percentage of the total number of bikes produced in the failure range the number of actual failures represents a small percentage overall.

No stupid logic or laziness...just good old common sense IMO.
There is no better option than just having the RIGHT part on your shelf at home. I always keep spare tubes, plugs, filters and used tires around just in case. Brake pads are a good idea too. I will be ordering a pump after I get the IMS 3 gallon tank.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:26 PM   #16476
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy
Wow, lighten up dude......
guess i win the dick of the week award?
so sorry.

maybe i'm reading it all wrong, but why would you buy a new pump because you have a concern you might have a problem over a trip (which if it failed on the road would cost more than the $200 for the pump) and then not install that new pump for piece of mind??? why buy it in the first place?

so you leave the new designed pump on your shelf for someone who is poor while you think in the back of your mind the whole trip, is it gonna fail? is that what i read?

$200 now and you're good to go with the new design or roll the dice and maybe it's a long costly & pain in the ass tow.

so, i don't know how you guys travel but if i ever question a part it's replaced with a new known good one before i'm out the door. i know everything can't planned for but i'm not a fan of sitting on the side of the road. kinda like leaving for a 5000mi trip with a rear tire that is questionable if it will make it. cost is 2-3X to replace on the road...just do it right before you leave & start with new parts.

in the military it's called ppp=ppp (piss poor planing equals piss poor performance).

maybe i'm anal but if i had an 08 anywhere near that range i'd have a new pump. even more so if it's more than a day ride/walk back to the car. infact i'm looking at a few 08s currently. if i pull the trigger on something of that date first mod is a new pump.

anyway best of luck on the trip.
i'll take a chill pill now.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:02 PM   #16477
oilfieldtrash
I don't wanna be a noob

Oddometer: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins
so you leave the new designed pump on your shelf for someone who is poor
Never called anyone poor. Here is my direct quote " I know not everyone can afford to spend $220 for a new pump if not absolutely necessary".

Please quit putting words in my mouth.

BTW, you are really making yourself sound kind of crazy. Why don't you just drop it. So I'm not prepared like military personnel. Big deal. So I may want to help someone else out even if it's at the risk of causing myself a bit of a problem on the trail b/c I didn't change my pump out. Big deal. The pump will be close enough to me that I'm willing to risk a couple hrs. of riding should something happen. Others have said it's easy to change and I have no reason to not believe them.

Please do me a favor and go bug someone else about their decision making. I kind of feel like a douche to even respond to you but I'm not gonna let you put words in my mouth.
oilfieldtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:12 PM   #16478
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,759
maybe i'm anal but if i had an 08 /quote]

If being the key word here
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:58 PM   #16479
Bgunn
Mucha distancia

Oddometer: 1,354
Good Logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfieldtrash
Nothing odd about my logic.

I only go on a few trips a year so if inbetween trips someone gets stranded and needs a pump asap I'll send them mine, they'll pay me, and I'll order a new pump.

I was thinking the same thing....

Bgunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:11 PM   #16480
rydnseek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,888
Bill, you may be going for the dick of the month or even the year!

..funny how differences on the forums get us all worked up. Words on a computer screen lack the nuances of delivery.. irony, sarcasm, self depreciation.. those are usually lost in forums..

I see 2 valid views being discussed in this flame war.. well, it's a pretty mild one by internet standards.

1. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

This is where most of the posters are who are so capably defending poor oilfieldtrash.

2. A stitch in time saves nine.

Bill's counter point.

And since i'm quoting famous anecdotes, i'll include a famous one from Mae West.
"Honey, i've been rich, & i've been poor. Rich is better."
(since economic status seemed to get included)

I was smart & had all my investments in Az real estate.. So now i'm poor. No point whining about it. But for that reason, i'm not going to preemptively buy a new fuel pump. I would if i could, but i don't have an extra $200 for frivolous things like a fuel pump.

But if someone wants to buy a couple & take them with them on rides, who am i to criticize? Or if someone else thinks they'll get 50k or more of trouble free miles on theirs, why not? Not everyone has had problems with the pumps. Why always take the safe route? We need to rebel from the conservative societal norm & live dangerously.. i thought that was why we ride.. to show everyone we make our own choices & will live or die with them.

This post has mostly no point.. usually when you make aimless remarks, you hit your target. I haven't been on a ride in a couple of weeks, & i'm starting to ramble on this forum.. which is what we do when we aren't riding. Page after page of pointless posts & mini wars. I start off trying to be funny, then degenerate into morbid self introspection.. no more. done.
rydnseek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:51 PM   #16481
Oh2RideMore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,274
more should order pumps

I want more decent inmates to keep a pump stocked and ready to go out the door in case my pump craps out on the road. Please have boxed and ready to be dropped off at nearest ups/fed ex. I will keep said funds in savings ready for the moment.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:58 PM   #16482
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,122
08 with 4 miles

Yeah, I found an 08 with four whole miles on it.... no joke, dealer left over. The 4 miles came from a parade, it's still at the dealer which means when it is bought it still has a year warranty on it, $4300, $4630 out the door (tax license)

Still wondering... buy or not. Currently I own an xr650L and that is it.
The misses may/will want me to sell the XR.... I am not sure I want to part with it yet.

The bike is but a few hours away in Northern Wisconsin mfg date of 03/08
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997633
byron555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:15 PM   #16483
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

too much talk about pumps

I'm looking into a WR, and the info about the pumps is good...

I rode my dad's 08 wr and found it to be a fantastic bike (after re-tuning the suspension.... Previous owner really screwed it up)

Any other issues? I mean really, tranny problems? heat problems, melted pistons, valves... you get the idea.

I recommended the bike to my dad, put trackmaster II tires on it and a skidplate (bike came with protaper bars and barkbusters) the thing is just plain awesome.

Good on road, great offroad... If the only real problem is the fuel pump on certain 08's (dad has an 02/08 with 3750 mi) that ain't too bad. XR's, ktm's, huskies, etc have much more involved problems than a pump
Old 08-17-2010, 09:23 PM   #16484
zrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
[QUOTE=eakins]

...in the military it's called ppp=ppp (piss poor planing equals piss poor performance)...

6Ps (Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance)... four years in FUSA racing and no DNFs from mechanicals...

This is getting really entertaining...

Think I'll go for a ride on my TE tonight instead... don't want to take a chance on the pump failing in the Yammy...

Funs Starting Again!!!
WR250R, TE510, 90 OW02, R1, 97 Cherokee
86 FJ600, 87 FZR1000, 88 OW01,77 CCM 550 3speed, 78 CR250, 75 Husky 360WR, 76 CCM 610, Triumph Tiger Cub 200
75 Pursang 250, Greeves, 74 CR125, RD360, CT175, Hodaka, Honda SL90
zrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:56 PM   #16485
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Mis-adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrider

This is getting really entertaining...

Think I'll go for a ride on my TE tonight instead... don't want to take a chance on the pump failing in the Yammy...
My Dad is a character... Dad: It's not that far.... (6pm) Me: it was a 120mi loop last year... Dad: I'm sure there is a shorter way (no planning) besides Gwinn will have better food... Me: OK, (I'm ready for an adventure now).

After some delicious ribs and steak near Gwinn MI (It really was good food), now about 845pm and getting dark. Time to head back. I almost smoke a deer according to dad... he decides to lead instead, better headlight... I have the gps and some idea of how to use it. (oh and no trails at night just pavement, terrrain etc). My tripmeter hits 100 miles, I think to myself (back in the lead now, I've got the GPS, remember) shit, he's never going to make it. 102miles... Flashing lights and horn sounds from behind, Dad is out of gas.

Dad parks the wr in the ditch, and hops on the bitch spot on my bike. Dad: "Byron you need to adjust the rear spring..this thing feels mushy"
Me: Yeah it has 400lbs of dude on it... and I still have not adjusted it for my weight.

My XR with Farkles is close to 400lbs... So 800lbs GVW heads out on 15-17psi of air. The handling of my bike was AWESOME. 8 miles later, I fill up 3 gallons in a 4 gallon tank, but the station is closing... like right now at 10pm. Well the cabin is only another 5 miles away.

Dad: We can get the bike tomorrow.
Me: Yeah, and I can buy the parts from your bike on Ebay in a week. We should get it now (truck and trailer)

Total mileage: 115 miles, yup dad was right, the loop last year was longer, and yes there was better food in Gwinn.