Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2010, 12:42 PM   #16546
Mr. Fisherman
Ray soon to be AWAY!

Oddometer: 10,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotMojo?
I bought the service manual. There's some stuff in there for 600 miles that I don't really feel comfortable doing, and thats why I wanted to take it in. I do the oil changes, chain adjustments, stuff like that... but when it comes to adjusting the clutch, brakes, steering bearings, and stuff like that, I don't really feel comfortable in my abilities to do that, so I figured I'd take the bike in and have them do it. Plus, they supposedly go over the bike and check the torque for all major nuts/bolts. I just wonder sometimes if they do that stuff like they are supposed to.
The ONLY way to know it is done right is to do it yourself or watch someone else do it to learn how.

They don't call them stealers for nothing.

None of it is really all that hard and in the long run you need to know how to do these all yourself.

If I were closer I would help you out. I bet if you hosted a work day at your garage and funded pizza and beverages you would have volunteers to help show you the ropes.
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:49 PM   #16547
NeilW
SomeAssemblyRequired

Oddometer: 87
you get what you pay for...or not

Quote:
... Really makes you wonder what exactly they do on a 600 mile service, if anything?...
Mostly they type up your invoice and they charge you for that under "shop supplies".

If it makes you feel any better, the technicians aren't making any money off the deal. A case in point, I just got my GYRT tail rack, a small story in itself. The point is, the very well detailed instructions state that installation time is .3 hours. I'm not exactly fast in the garage but I can usually turn a wrench and screwdriver without hurting myself or breaking parts. I did the install in 1.2 hours. Granted that was my first time on that task and I'm not done until the tools are put away and the workspace cleaned up. But if I was a good Yamaha tech, I still think I would have lost money on that job if I was only getting paid .3 hours for it. Anyone whose ever done dealer warranty work knows that deal.
'08 WR250R
2012 Yamaha Super Ténéré
NeilW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:10 PM   #16548
GotMojo?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabill
In my experience . . . no. They change the oil and let your bike sit for a couple days, then call you to tell you it's done and the valves looked fine (never even having opened up the motor). If you told them not to change the oil, they won't even touch your bike.
Thats what I was afraid of. I wonder if I'd be better off taking the bike in and instead of the "600 mile service" just give them a list of things I want done (brakes adjusted, clutch adjusted, cables lubed, steering bearings checked, major bolts torqued). Do you think they'd be more likley to do that, or just skip it and let the bike sit?
GotMojo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:32 PM   #16549
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,509
Quote:
. . . or just skip it and let the bike sit?
Yes.

Really . . . I don't know. You might have a good shop. The odds are against it, but eh, just maybe.
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:34 PM   #16550
kyns
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,580
Quote:
Thats what I was afraid of. I wonder if I'd be better off taking the bike in and instead of the "600 mile service" just give them a list of things I want done (brakes adjusted, clutch adjusted, cables lubed, steering bearings checked, major bolts torqued). Do you think they'd be more likley to do that, or just skip it and let the bike sit?
If the 600 mile service is not needed to keep the warranty, don't take it there at all. I had my oil changed at 1000 km, to keep the warranty, i stood there the whole time, making sure they did it...

You can easily do all the things you listed yourself. If not, ask help from us. ..all you really need is an oil change...

kyns screwed with this post 08-20-2010 at 01:45 PM
kyns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:02 PM   #16551
GotMojo?
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clapped_r6
be all end all

learn how to change your oil. learn how to clean / service your air filter. change your brake fluid every year or so. learn to look at YOUR bike, and be able to figure out what's wrong!

this is one of many reasons i ended up with this bike, maintenance is nil compared with the ktm's (you'll check your valves right about the time they'll be putting new crank bearings in )

this bike is beefy!
I do most of that stuff myself. I also go over the bike before I ride it and check various things. I just thought on a new bike, it might be good to take it in and have an "expert" check over some of the things I'm not comfortable with (clutch, brakes, swingarm bushings, etc). Maybe that's the problem though... these so called "experts", in most cases, don't do what they are supposed to do, so why bother taking it in. Atleast that's the general consensus I'm getting...
Old 08-20-2010, 02:07 PM   #16552
Nice_Rumble
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,216
Quote:
(clutch, brakes, swingarm bushings, etc)
Just use common sense. Why would the clutch, brakes, and swingarm bushings need adjusting at 600 miles? I haven't touched any of those components in 6000 miles. It's a friggen Yamaha not a ......

https://www.facebook.com/groups/212396922304662/
Nice_Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:11 PM   #16553
GotMojo?
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice_Rumble
Just use common sense. Why would the clutch, brakes, and swingarm bushings need adjusting at 600 miles? I haven't touched any of those components in 6000 miles. It's a friggen Yamaha not a ......
You're probably right. I guess I just wanted the bike checked over to make sure things were OK before the next major service. Maybe I'm OK though.... just wasn't sure.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:13 PM   #16554
Chadx
Off the road again..

Oddometer: 2,172
Quote:
When does a valve INSPECTION need done on the WRR or WRX? My Service Manual states that they need checked and adjusted at 26,600 miles but my dealer is telling me they needed inspected at the 600 mile service.
I agree with the rest on skipping the 600 mile service at the dealer. Look it over yourself. Even if you don't retorque everything, put a hand on everything looking for loose or lost bolts, etc. If you are doing an oil change, air filter cleaning, and chain tensioning, you are already doing nearly everything that this bike needs for 26,600 miles. Just keep an eye on everything. When it comes time, if you don't want to do the brake fluid change, have them do it and at the same time, look it over. Same for when you finally have to do the valve check.

If your dealership is saying a 600 mile valve check is needed, they are probably just going by what they are used to. Ask them to look it up in the service manual (mention you own a copy) and show you where it says to check the valves at 600 miles. Smile politely when they fritter around and can't find it.
Chadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:15 PM   #16555
Chadx
Off the road again..

Oddometer: 2,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWorkingDog
fuel pump problems...seem endemic to FI bikes.
I got a chuckle out of that. Thanks! And so true. I've NEVER had a fuel pump problem on my carburated bikes. Ha.
Chadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:19 PM   #16556
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadx
I got a chuckle out of that. Thanks! And so true. I've NEVER had a fuel pump problem on my carburated bikes. Ha.
Whew

I didn't use any smilies...hoping SOMEONE laughed

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:20 PM   #16557
scottmac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,501
Just wondering if your dealer has a WR250F 600 mile service stuck in his mind
rather than a WR250R....
scottmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:23 PM   #16558
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,509
I doubt it. My dealer tried to tell me I'd need a 600 mile valve adjustment on mine until I pointed it out in the manual. Even after that he wanted to argue some more. I left
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:29 PM   #16559
z@ch
Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer: 4,682
most bikes do require a valve check at the first service. I think the dealer/tech is just following standard (or preferred) protocol.

I knew a guy that ran an independent BMW auto service shop and he changed oil on new beemers every 3k miles even though the manual said every 10k was fine.
z@ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:55 PM   #16560
bash3r
I ain't no DingWeed

Oddometer: 1,697
Quote:
When does a valve INSPECTION need done on the WRR or WRX? My Service Manual states that they need checked and adjusted at 26,600 miles but my dealer is telling me they needed inspected at the 600 mile service.

Should I just tell them to skip it, or have it done?
Valve check?

Checking your bike is really easy to do after you give it a good cleaning!!

ADV Gear | 3 Step Hideaway |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote