Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2010, 03:01 PM   #16561
kyns
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by clapped_r6

the new world order of motorcycle manufacturing sees every new bike on a dyno / rolling road, not thrashed, but under heavy throttle upon completion
Yup, there was a story in Finnish MC mag where they visited Triumph factory.

EVERY BIKE is ridden in a dyno AND undergoes one oil change at the factory.
kyns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:58 PM   #16562
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,737
When I bought my X the service guy rolled it back to the service dept while I chit chatted with the shop owner. I heard him fire it up and proceed to do a screeching burn out on the shop floor with it. I thought. Shit. I hope it has oil in the engine!
Old 08-21-2010, 08:45 AM   #16563
rydnseek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,888
ride report upcoming.. it will be in the day trippers forum. 2 wr's & a klx go ridin' the rez.

rydnseek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 08:50 AM   #16564
rydnseek
Beastly Adventurer

Here's a short clip showing how tough & water resistant the wr's are..

Tom is pretty water resistant, too!
Old 08-21-2010, 09:52 AM   #16565
tonymorr
Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer: 2,450
Quote:
i think they all do that. and, it's not a "driving miss daisy" dyno, more of a "run it like ya stole it" up to 100+mph
My WR did 100 mph? Sweeeet!
tonymorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 11:34 AM   #16566
derangedhermit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,947
Quote:
mine'll go over 100, yours?
Your what will go over 100? And 100 as in mph or kph?
derangedhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 11:55 AM   #16567
Bake
adventurer

Oddometer: 10,514
For what it's worth I think the broad opinion the Wr250R engine doesn't need valves checked until 26,000 "because the book says so" isn't fixed in reality. Believe it or don't, I don't care one way or the other. What I do know from working on these bikes is I've found an exhaust valve clearance out of spec at 2500 miles, on a bike that has not been run hard. Very possible it had always been that way. All it takes is for one of the shims to have bounced over 2 slots in the shim box, and the wrong one was installed. Would that 2 thousandths too tight wreck that engine's valve seat before 26,000 miles? You bet it could. Would it with 100% certainty? Of course not. Would that bike be out of warranty before the owner reaches 26,000 miles? Make your own guess, but that''s a lot of miles in one year on a 250. These are mechanical devices that suffer from the same manufacturing tolerance stacking as any other. If an owner wants a dealership to check it, why vehemently discourage him spending his money, it ain't your money. What is peace of mind worth, particularly to an owner that isn't knowledgable about the engineering involved in a high rpm motorcycle engine.
All I'm saying is, a valve clearance check somewhere early in the life of that engine, be it 600 miles or 2000 miles,well, I know I'll darn sure sleep better if my $6000 investment was checked. Trust but verify is my motto.
I've got to say something about the statements that dealerships (and I'm not associated with one) routinely commit consumer fraud, well, that's just plain ridiculous. Think about that. Thousands of business owners going through their daily business operations have built in approval to commit Felony Theft. Are there some that do as a matter of routine? Sure. Criminal elements can be fished out anywhere. But to blanket thousands of reputable businesses with they all are crooked, they won't even touch your bike and charge you $$$, don't be a fool,etc. is beyond reason. Every business owner is aware the Justice system in multiple, multiple levels watches for fraud. It makes for great headlines for them when they nab someone.
YMMV.
Bake

Bake screwed with this post 08-21-2010 at 12:26 PM
Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 12:34 PM   #16568
Bake
adventurer

Quote:
tell me about the dealer that checks the valves at 600 miles

haven't found one yet!

(a few years back, a couple friends took their bikes to different dealers for this very same thing, and placed a "tell-tale" on the valve covers to see if they took them off for the service. none although they charged for a "valve check)
Then your friends would do the riding community in your particular town a goodwill service for reporting it to the District Attorney's office. If they don't, then their exercise was just to make garage talk.
If a dealer suggested a valve clearance check be done at 600 miles, he may full well know it is not a REQUIREMENT but his experience with motorcycles is also far greater than a single rider's. Saying he's a crook for making a suggestion (that IN REALITY is a prudent thing to do AT SOME POINT) is unreasonable.

Old 08-21-2010, 01:31 PM   #16569
Bake
adventurer

Quote:
potato, potadoe, whatever!
Informed narrative. Nice talk.

The thread should stay on topic, and that is the WR250R. Start a dealer bashing thread in JoMomma if you need to. You'll find what you need there. I'm sure of it.

Old 08-21-2010, 01:37 PM   #16570
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,737
In a perfect world, after the sale of a motorcycle, the shop hopes to do ALL service to the bike. Routine maintainance, a few farkels, repairs and some warranty work. Some people take the shop at its word and NEVER touch their bike. The temptation for the shop is then to price gouge and make up busy work to make money. They kill their own customer base doing this.
One of my buddies has a Harley and he doesn't know a flat head from a torx bit screwdriver. He got reamed by the dealer to the tune of thousands for a bad cam bearing and motor mount they installed backwards. He now patronizes a really good mechanic who is a full time fire fighter and does bikes in his off time.
Dealers need to earn the customers trust by charging fair prices and doing competent work. Some do, some don't. If the motorcycle industry is ever going to turn around and gain more riders they ALL need to be fair and honest. My local dealer charged me $70 to mount a tire I brought in with the wheel only and they didn't even balance it. That was the first and last time I will ever use the dealer service dept.
I am eagerly waiting for my WR250X fuel pump recall notice in the mail. I am the original owner and get YAMAHA literature in the mail now and then. Mostly surveys. Lets see how long it takes for the proper notice and my date with the dealer to replace my fuel pump free of charge. I doubt it will be anytime soon.
Old 08-21-2010, 04:55 PM   #16571
KTMmer950
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
What has happen to IMS Tank?

I have followed this thread for a while and was hearing all about the IMS 3gal. tank that was just ready for production and suddenly for a while now there is no news. Summer is about over and the good riding season is about to start and I along with a lot of you would like to have that 3gal. tank to hit the trail with, what's going on? I tried to get on the IMS web site and when I bring it up all I get is a sound and a black screen. I thought it just took a while to load but nothing. Does anyone out there know what is going on.
KTMmer950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 05:09 PM   #16572
emerson.biguns
All idiot, no savant

Oddometer: 9,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMmer950
I tried to get on the IMS web site and when I bring it up all I get is a sound and a black screen. I thought it just took a while to load but nothing. Does anyone out there know what is going on.

I can go all the way to ordering it for $274.95, even though it's still a pre-order. Sounds like your interwebz are broken.

emerson.biguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 11:35 PM   #16573
tonymorr
Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer: 2,450
Quote:
i've had my wr well over 100 MPH

derestrict it, and it'll do it

not that it wants to, mind!
Actual or indicated? Downhill?

I think I've done everything except a turbo and mine won't do it.
tonymorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 02:40 AM   #16574
rydnseek
Beastly Adventurer

Best i've done is 93 gps.. wot down hill straightaway. 13/42. usual performance mods. That was with travel gear & windscreen. I think if i lightened up a bit & maybe had a bit of tail wind, it would do it.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:27 AM   #16575
rydnseek
Beastly Adventurer

Ride report started.. part 1 of Riding the Rez. Rain, Rocks, & Chocolate.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612535