Chromer
Not going gentle

Oddometer: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabill
Alright . . . on to the fuel pump . . .
Hope that helps.
Thanks for trying.

What happens when you put 12V across that pump?

(A: The gasoline fumes explode...)
Old 08-22-2010, 02:13 PM   #16592
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,523
so the true ballsy test would be to disassy the new one and see if the part #s are the same or diff on the new pump part itself or it was truely a bad production run and thus same part#
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabill
Alright . . . on to the fuel pump . . .

Anyway . . . to sum up . . . it's a royal pita to take it apart and you'll most likely wind up cracking something in the process.

Hope that helps.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 08-22-2010 at 02:21 PM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 02:27 PM   #16593
AKASY
Noob

Oddometer: 2,150
Pump

Krabil--thanks for a great write up and the pics were excellent. I think the black thing you described on top is the fuel pressure pop off valve. The pump runs and pressures the fuel rail and if not needed the excess can return to the tank--at least that is my best guess. Again great pics.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:36 PM   #16594
BigFeet
Banned

Oddometer: 501
Shinko 244's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayjars
What size did you use for the front tire? I assume the 5.10x17 is on the back.
Clayjars,

I used Rydnseek's recommendation and ran the 5.10-17 in back and 4.60-17 in front. They fit nicely.

Opinions will vary on this, but I personally really like the look. With the Yamalink and Yamaha's lowering adjustment, I can flatfoot with these tires. That's important to me as a confidence builder due to the no good artificial "hinge".

I'm farkling the hell out of the thing right now, so haven't ridden it with the Shinko's yet.

Rydnseek/Scotty,

Thanks once again for the tire info!

Artoo
BigFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 03:50 PM   #16595
bhmax
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
I'm just about to finish up the rear Distanzia on my X. Been doing research on the IRC GP-1 and the Kenda and Shinko clones myself. I see the often mentioned Mefo Explorer is also available in those 17" tires. Leaning towards the IRCs right now for slightly better offroad capabilities than the Distanzias.
bhmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 04:01 PM   #16596
dirthauler
rolling rototiller

Oddometer: 1,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhmax
I'm just about to finish up the rear Distanzia on my X. Been doing research on the IRC GP-1 and the Kenda and Shinko clones myself. I see the often mentioned Mefo Explorer is also available in those 17" tires. Leaning towards the IRCs right now for slightly better offroad capabilities than the Distanzias.
i tend to lean to the kendas, but that's what i've had experience on but i tend to go for the off road only tires too

happy that there is now a maine small bikes thread
dirthauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 06:58 PM   #16597
big-t
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
Just finished installing a new Safari tank and have a couple of question for those that have already have done this.
After installation,I poured enough fuel in to cover the pickups in the wings wanting to check and see if the vacuum pump was doing its job.After running it a bit the tube to the right wing was full,but the one on the left had several large air bubbles and did not appear to be flowing fuel.Reving it up appears to help a bit but still have lots of air bubbles that give the appearance of the fuel not flowing .Is this the norm or do I have a problem??

I replaced the vacuum T connector and replaced it with a straight one that connects directly to the source and that seemed to help,but maybe that was my imagination was working overtime?

The other issue was the fitment of the seat leaves a gap at the bottom and wrinkles in the cover.I was thinking about putting a couple of spacers under the tank mount to get a better fit.

Anyone else have these problems?
big-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 07:14 PM   #16598
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,859
How much gas do you have in it? Mine did that too when there wasn't enough in both wings to cover the pickups, part of the reason I sold it.

It rained a lil bit today, so the play area off the C&D canal I went riding in with a buddy was a bit muddy. All that mud made the poor girl tired...

skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 07:21 PM   #16599
bash3r
I ain't no DingWeed

Oddometer: 1,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by big-t
Just finished installing a new Safari tank and have a couple of question for those that have already have done this.
After installation,I poured enough fuel in to cover the pickups in the wings wanting to check and see if the vacuum pump was doing its job.After running it a bit the tube to the right wing was full,but the one on the left had several large air bubbles and did not appear to be flowing fuel.Reving it up appears to help a bit but still have lots of air bubbles that give the appearance of the fuel not flowing .Is this the norm or do I have a problem??

I replaced the vacuum T connector and replaced it with a straight one that connects directly to the source and that seemed to help,but maybe that was my imagination was working overtime?

The other issue was the fitment of the seat leaves a gap at the bottom and wrinkles in the cover.I was thinking about putting a couple of spacers under the tank mount to get a better fit.

Anyone else have these problems?
Yes, many cut some Kydex or piece of cutting board or washers.. to better fit where the tank bolts on near the seat.

I've only noticed vaccum issues when extremely low on fuel, I'd make sure the vacuum valve nut is tight, I had to tighten mine up when I first got it, leaked a bit of fuel. Put that dude on then fill it with fuel.. and ride !!!

In Idaho, me and Pax fueled up ever other time the stock gas tank WRs did, so the range is proven I dig it!

ADV Gear | 3 Step Hideaway |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 07:28 PM   #16600
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,509
I've got a 1/4" spacer at the front and 1/2" spacer at the rear mount on my Safari. Everything seems to fit better that way.
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:07 PM   #16601
NorthCoastRider
Livin' the dream

Oddometer: 246
The fuel filter on the pump pickup looks plugged.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:59 AM   #16602
rydnseek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,888
ride report done..

My part of the ride report for last weeks' ride up on the Navajo Reservation is complete. It was very eventful.. lots of variety, downed (not drowned) riders. Report is here:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612535

rydnseek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:50 AM   #16603
Nice_Rumble
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,216
Quote:
The one on the left had several large air bubbles and did not appear to be flowing fuel. Do I have a problem?
My guess is you didn't have enough fuel in the left wing to cover the pick up tube. Just put more gas in the left side.

Quote:
Just follow HighFive's spacer mod:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...8#post12148968

https://www.facebook.com/groups/212396922304662/
Nice_Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 10:32 AM   #16604
bash3r
I ain't no DingWeed

Oddometer: 1,697
BigDog / Dingweed 27 days & 5,300 Miles on WRs

In case you've missed the latest from BigDog & Dingweed on their epic adventure of pioneering this new route... here it is:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612543

ADV Gear | 3 Step Hideaway |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 11:47 PM   #16605
TierHawg
Herder of the J-Cats

Oddometer: 130
Popeye approves

TierHawg is offline   Reply With Quote